The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

The rain has been pretty relentless for most of the day, but luckily I've not gotten too wet during my travels.

Time for bed, goodnight all

• Like 10

So the final bids were coming for the final item, and when it got to, about 50 thousand on the going twice, he bid £120,000 and won a kite.

Better than a 'she wee' or a clapping fly swat.

I'm reminded of some 'white elephant' Christmas gift exchanges I remember that could run to the naughty.  I have a lavender coloured vinyl LP with pictures of some nice young men on the dust jacket that I 'scored' at such an event. It has to date back to the very early eighties and properly belongs in a closet. I'm still waiting for a suitable time and place to unload it on someone unsuspecting the way it was unloaded on me.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Gold

Over the years I've collected many t-shirts but at one stage, despite never having been on a Harley-Davidson bike (the only bike I've owned was a Honda 50cc when living in Saigon) I started collecting Harley-Davidson dealer t-shirts so every time I stumbled upon a Harley-Davidson dealership a t-shirt was purchased.

Back in 2001 (just after 9/11) I went on a 2-day charter on the Cumbres and Toltec. After flying in from Tokyo and spending a couple of nights in San Francisco I took a flight to Albuquerque and rented a car to drive from there to Chama and then on to Denver having planned my journey via the Harley-Davidson website so that I could make a stop at all the Harley-Davidson dealerships between Albuquerque and Denver and purchase the requisite t-shirts.

Stupid when you think about it. What's even more bizarre is that I still have the t-shirts ..... and most of them have never been worn..... 

Keith

• Like 11

Over the years I've collected many t-shirts but at one stage, despite never having been on a Harley-Davidson bike (the only bike I've owned was a Honda 50cc when living in Saigon) I started collecting Harley-Davidson dealer t-shirts so every time I stumbled upon a Harley-Davidson dealership a t-shirt was purchased.

Back in 2001 (just after 9/11) I went on a 2-day charter on the Cumbres and Toltec. After flying in from Tokyo and spending a couple of nights in San Francisco I took a flight to Albuquerque and rented a car to drive from there to Chama and then on to Denver having planned my journey via the Harley-Davidson website so that I could make a stop at all the Harley-Davidson dealerships between Albuquerque and Denver and purchase the requisite t-shirts.

Stupid when you think about it. What's even more bizarre is that I still have the t-shirts ..... and most of them have never been worn.........

ttm-ive-had-my-fun-db.jpg

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

We had an invite to the steamup at Formby Gorge today. G-gauge dead rail, so none of our trains work on it (except one which is a bit large for the clearances). Interesting collection of steam and battery. One Heisler only made it halfway due to the cab not fitting the tunnel.

This was a re-opening as, after 15 years, the sleepers in the pointwork had all been replaced.

Despite the weather predictions, we only heard thunder, no storms.

Edited by BR60103
  • Like 18

Morning all. Another decent nights sleep but I only feel marginally better than yesterday.

A slightly better day is predicted weather wise. I just hope that the work follows a similar pattern.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all.

Dry start but apparently some showers will "bubble up" with some sunny spells due in the afternoon. It will be windy.

Not so good news last night about friend Steve. As there is no real improvement he has been moved to St.Thomas' Hospital. Let's hope that that renowned centre of excellence can weave some magic.

Bin day here and I put them all out last night. Shopping this morning and extra supplies needed as tonight we are entertaining our friends and next door neighbours who are having a new kitchen fitted and are without proper cooking facilities at present. Tomorrow night Nicki, Steve, grandkids and son Steve are all descending upon us before some of them fly off to Spain on holiday.

(as you may gather it gets rather confusing around here with all the Steves - there are two others as well)

Because of all this my assistance on the domestic front will be required. Again. Yesterday I was needed to drive the new washing machine which has got a touch screen and is all singing & dancing. Needless to say The Boss, who is somewhat of a technophobe, doesn't like it. :nono:  This is quite normal here with new appliances. She will come  to love it!  :onthequiet: :whistle:  :yes:  

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

Morning All,

Broken cloud with the odd shower seems to be the order of the day.

Hopefully the weekend will remain dry.  I have a number of jobs to do, most of which seem to be outside.

We also have a new washing machine - the old one was getting on for ten years old, so it didn't do badly, but the bearings were whining something terrible, so it was only a matter of time and we decided to get a new one before the old one finally broke down.  We now have a Bosch, and it seems to work quite well, and it is physically smaller despite being able to take the same load - but like Bob's, it has a touch screen.  Mercedes is pleased with it, but if you ask me it is over complicated.  I am no Luddite, but just because we can build things complicated, doesn't mean we have to!  The mechanical knob on the old one worked equally well - and probably has a longer life expectancy.

Have a good day everyone...

Edited by Robert
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good morning from a village that actually has some sun on it. The weather girl on Look North has just told me that this will continue though with some showers today. I managed to get most of my jobs done yesterday and many books were distributed. I will hopefully get rid of some more today. I also got my broken tooth sorted and had my flowing locks trimmed. Various other tasks today and then hopefully I will get some tidying done and rediscover the floor in the modelling room.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 18

We could use some of that rain over here. We had 110 inches of snow last winter but not a drop of rain for the whole of July.

Received an unexpected email from VW. Much to my surprise they have an approved fix for the NOx emissions for our diesel Jetta. We still have the option of returning it to VW but I think we'll have it modified and keep it. Lorna really likes it and It's only got 40,000 miles on the clock. Most of those miles are from trips to town with the cruise control on all the way.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

We had an invite to the steamup at Formby Gorge today. G-gauge dead rail, so none of our trains work on it (except one which is a bit large for the clearances). Interesting collection of steam and battery. One Heisler only made it halfway due to the cab not fitting the tunnel.

This was a re-opening as, after 15 years, the sleepers in the pointwork had all been replaced.

Despite the weather predictions, we only heard thunder, no storms.

George Formby used to have a house in Wroxham ( 3 miles from here), and cruise the Norfolk Broads in a motor boat called lady beryl. His house was near the. Barton house railway http://www.bartonhouserailway.org.uk

No wait... you said Formby gorge...

Mooring Awl, Inner Temple here,

A very good night's sleep was had with about 7 hours sleep, so I'm a happier bunny this morning.

Talking of Bunny, it's spoons day, every man/ woman/ dog will turn up to day, all those who contributed to the cost of the spoons will get invited to wine and nibbles at lunchtime.

Bunny? Chris Bunn is one of the top sailors on the broads. He along with many others are likely to turn up to race today.

It's a beautiful sunny day but the wind forecast I'd got was for 22 miles an hour the club anemometer is showing up to 18 now, which is more than we'd like.

Time to.... Finish my coffee..

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I have never had flowing locks.

I may get up into the loft today. Having said that, there were worrying mutterings from over the breakfast table earlier, so I might not too.

Have a good day.

• RMweb Premium

Hey up! Just for once it's not t raining here.

Parcels to pack and post, a visitor to be seen and a trip to a model railway emporium to be undertaken... Busy day.

Brian, since retiring have you noticed that it takes even more time to get things done?

Have a great day everyone.

Baz

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning All

Greetings from a very wet Lancashire village.  That has to extend to generic greetings to the ailing and deserving, as this will be a short post.

Rain woke us up at about 4 am.

Dog needed to go out for wees at 5am in the rain.  It was so heavy that I decided to take her out, as otherwise she would have messed about.

Got up to make tea/toast at 6am - looked out on the rain

Took dog for a walk at 7.30 "between showers" and rain came down half way..

No prizes for guessing what the weather is doing.

Hopefully back later after Dr appointment.

Regards to All

Stewart (still with a full head of hair, not too grey, at 65)

• RMweb Premium

I'm pushing 70 but still have as much hair as I had when I was 17. Must have inherited it from my dad. He still had a full head of hair at 92.

I also got my hair quality from my dad but the colouring came from my Mum. She was white at 40, allegedly the trauma of my birth was the cause, at least according to my brother.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Looks like one of those early August days I remember from childhood holidays, damp, cloudy and breezy.

There is a possibility of a trip out to a garden centre today.

I think my recovery from the pneumonia is really underway now but I am under strict instructions to be sensible. If I don't do anthing I feel quite well.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Ah flowing locks. I remember them. Just. :scratchhead:

Brings back memories, does that.

Rollers in all night. Dead straight again after an hour so. And I was only a kid! Never bothered after that - except the day we got married.when the rollers were in all morning. Slightly flowing locks still left for the photos.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's another dull day here, we've had a lot of rain overnight but it's currently dry, but for how long? Sheila will be going to Zumba in the next few minutes so I'm going to be busy myself in the kitchen trying a new recipe, courgette and orange cake.

Following locks eh, I've not had those for nearly 40 years, I blame the kids!

Back later.

• Like 16