The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Evening all. Just a quick check in. Arrived back from Brixham safely on Saturday afternoon to find no internet. Still without a service at present so checking in whilst using my parent's wi-fi. Had a great holiday. Hopefully check in soon.

Taken from a flight between Sacramento and Portland, I think this may be Mt Shasta but as it was taken in 2011 I cant remember for certain

And a bit later from the same flight is Crater lake. Was difficult keeping the propellers and engine  out of the shot.

Yes. The big mountain with the older dome and crater on the side (Shastina) is Mt. Shasta in far northern California.

Southern Pacific called their daily train from Portland to Oakland (San Francisco) the Daylight Shasta since the SP mainline passed not far from the mountain before crossing down into the Sacramento River valley. Here's an actual photograph.

It's fun to imagine the size of Mt. Mazama - the name retrospectively applied to the volcano that erupted and collapsed into it's own evacuated magma chamber to form crater late. When you extrapolate the sides of the mountain (knowing the typical shape of the Cascades volcanoes) Mazama was a big one and the impact of the eruption must have been stupendous. Crater lake is the deepest lake in the US - so a truly enormous amount of material was displaced.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

despite feeling less than 100% modelling has gone well today. 3 Jubilees fixed, wagons lettered, coach roof (*2) detailed and repainted....and I managed to prepare and cook Fajitas for tea...

Just need to get better soon as I have a  game to umpire on Wednesday and, as tomorrow is Yorkshire day, we are off out for our tea. Yummy!

Congrats on your Anniversary Mr and Mrs Ian A.. and the hat suits you......

sleep well all

Baz

How long did it take to eat the cakes?

Well, again, unlike a simple tea shop in Blighty, the reservation for the "Queens of Hearts High Tea" allows a couple of hours for you to imbibe!

They serve you when you're ready, starting with tea (unlimited but start you off) and optional Mimosas, we "optioned" :)

We were there about two hours, probably didn't actually get any food for about 45 minutes as we were drinking <hic> and it was very enjoyable and relaxing. Very quaint Victorian house, yes EVEN IN MINNESOTA!

• Like 18

What could possibly go wrong on a Monday? What a list.

1. On site in the City of London at 07:30 only to find that no one turns up until 09:00

2. Arrived at my survey in Birmingham 90 minutes early and had to sit around

3. An urgent call out to Telford for an intermittent fault.

4. A priority call out to Cheltenham.

5. Traffic and road works.

320 miles later I have got to my hotel.

Brian - Enjoy retirement (if you can find the time)

Rick - Now I know exactly where to come for information on the Southern.

Tony & Baz - I hope that recovery is swift.

Ian A - Congratulations to you both on reaching. (Baz beet me to it about the hat).

The next question is, what can go wrong on a Tuesday? I dread to think.

Night all

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Don't forget to wave as u go past.

I did! Twice.

540 mostly cockwomble free miles.

Only the expected slow traffic around M62 Batley, A1 Doncaster and A14 Cambridge on the way down and Cambridge was a breeze on the way home. Probably aided by it being holiday time with a few less vehicles on the road.

Just under 10 hours travelling for the return trip.

Junior NB even got me a mention on Radio 2 to say thanks for picking her up.

I borrowed a friend's VW Caddy van and it was pretty full. All she has at uni now is enough clothing to keep her going for three weeks and required study materials.

Time for a nightcap as I'm knackered.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

I did! Twice.

540 mostly cockwomble free miles.

Only the expected slow traffic around M62 Batley, A1 Doncaster and A14 Cambridge on the way down and Cambridge was a breeze on the way home. Probably aided by it being holiday time with a few less vehicles on the road.

Just under 10 hours travelling for the return trip.

Junior NB even got me a mention on Radio 2 to say thanks for picking her up.

I borrowed a friend's VW Caddy van and it was pretty full. All she has at uni now is enough clothing to keep her going for three weeks and required study materials.

Time for a nightcap as I'm knackered.

Cheers,

Mick

Fortunately all we have to do when Matthew leaves the Netherlands in a few weeks is meet him at Southend Airport. I hope by then I feel like driving but whatever Matthew can carry/drag on trains and planes will fit in the Fiesta if Aditi collects him. We have decided Aditi really should start driving the Land Rover as well. It isn't the size, just that it is automatic.

We suggested that once Matthew is settled in Ireland he should consider learning to drive but he said he intends to live on a bus route! He is off to Croatia on Wednesday for 10 days on a holiday. Schipol to Zagreb via Hamburg. Must be a cheap ticket! Return will be Split to Schipol via Berlin.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Ian and Mrs A.

Goodnight all

• Like 1

We suggested that once Matthew is settled in Ireland he should consider learning to drive but he said he intends to live on a bus route!

My son's 25 year old fiancée does not yet drive either - which is a bit unusual here in the US, but I think it does indicate something about Millennials. She was recently sent on an assignment to Dallas, TX for several weeks where she had to use Uber to get around.

It's hard for me to criticize. I was 22 before I got my driving licence (actually I think it was and is "driver's license" in Australia). I had functioned perfectly well on the train getting to and from University, but having graduated, with a job offer in the US I had to make sure the driver's license happened, PDQ.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

My son's 25 year old fiancée does not yet drive either - which is a bit unusual here in the US, but I think it does indicate something about Millennials. She was recently sent on an assignment to Dallas, TX for several weeks where she had to use Uber to get around.

It's hard for me to criticize. I was 22 before I got my driving licence (actually I think it is was and is "driver's license" in Australia). I had functioned perfectly well on the train getting to and from University, but having graduated, with a job offer in the US I had to make sure the driver's license happened, PDQ.

I didn't take a car driving test until I was 30. I waited until Aditi passed her driving test. She had 5 goes. She is a good driver, just not good at passing driving tests. We went from being a no car to two car household quite quickly.

Tony

• Like 16

Very p*ssed off, still waiting for Grant of Probate so can't get paid. Meanwhile two more tempting Citroën CX GTis have popped up on eBay, although one will need fire-damaged wiring replaced before it can run again.

How about a short-term loan then? There's a geezer I knew when I was in New Jersey who can help you out. Goes by the name Scaramucci.

How about a short-term loan then? There's a geezer I knew when I was in New Jersey who can help you out. Goes by the name Scaramucci.

I blinked sometime this afternoon and the bu@@er was gone! What chance Drumpf fires himself if I go for a CARP :) :) :O

• Like 2

Morning All,

It is a nice fresh morning here.  We had a heavy electrical storm at around 03:00 and now the weather has settled down to dry with broken cloud.

Wiesbaden apparently got the storm quite badly.  Trees have been uprooted, and many of the roads into the town are currently closed.  However, we were fortunate in that the storm went past us in the distance.

Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 11

Good morning one and all, on the first day of Brian's retirement [or liberty as it has been called]

The packing continues, as does the phenomenon of rounding up items that I remember are needed.  Despite meticulous forward planning [oh really?] I need to do a mini fodder run this morning as without it I will run out of milk at an inopportune moment.  An interesting mental exercise while I am away will be trying to recall what day it is - essential when most artists are not present for the whole festival.  A couple of years ago a well meaning friend gave me a set of socks embroidered with the days of the week.  Wearing those for the correct day hit an obstacle when Sunday went missing.  Fortunately they have been rediscovered but it would be prudent to pack a couple of pairs of plain socks just in case.

One unwelcome task today must be to chase a missing magazine to which I subscribe that is now more than a week overdue.  Perhaps it is siting in the sorting office as I type, waiting for the crack of noon when postie will set out on his round.  Sadly the magazine in question has become less compelling of late and may be culled.  It has the singular distinction of being the only mag to have mislaid one of my slides that I submitted for publication so perhaps I have a subconscious reason for not wishing it well.

On that happy note, best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, Inner Temple here,

I tried to post last night but with several hundred people standing between me in the boat and the router it was no go.

The several hundred people were attending the pub games and fish and chips night. All the Chish and fips were perordered and a mobile chip van parks in our carpark so you get them served hot.we used to have them delivered but that wasn't very good. This year over 200 portions were ordered!!!

The sailing went well with no major incidents, but here's the boatwomble list.

All motor boats are asked to go in single file along their appropriate banks, then we treat them as the bank and we don't have unskilled motorboats causing a major wombling.

Boatwomble 1, managed to ignore all that and get himself into a buoy which is in the middle of the river just as a fleet of boat femme got round it...

Boatwomble 2, ignored me trying to speak to him, so I tried a sign I carry, he ignored that and wombled down the the river, meanwhile his two grandchildren? Were hanging from their arms pits from the pulpit rails over the side of the boat with their feet in the water. No lifejackets on.

There were several other boatwombles, who thought that less than 6 ft from the bank ( my advice) was about twenty, so further down the course they ended up with boats both sides of them.

It was/ is flat calm at the moment, I motored my boat back to its moorings on the nearest hint of throttle very peaceful.

We are promised 13 mph winds, sunny this morning and scattered showers this afternoon.

Right I've finished my coffee ,

Time to finish getting the rescue boat ready...

Oh have a picture of one of the big boys..

post-15969-0-90277800-1501566597_thumb.jpg

post-15969-0-83310700-1501566624_thumb.jpg

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 17