The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

The sun was shining first thing this morning when I walked to the butchers and we had a lovely start to the day. I'd not long finished emptying the car boot when No 1 son and Amelia came round for lunch. It's his birthday today and he was out tonight for a meal with his daughter and ex to celebrate his birthday. They'd only been here about 30 minutes when it started raining and it's been raining ever since, quite heavily at times.

Later in the afternoon, Ava Evie and Max came for tea and as usual it was quite a noisy affair, but enjoyable nonetheless. When I took them home after tea I noticed quite a bit a flooding on some of the roads on the way to there house.

It's wine o'clock, time for some liquid relaxation, it will also help against getting diabetes too!

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I finally finished the 16X16 suduko yesterday, its taken four days and I must have spent at least an hour a day on it. Sad news about baby Charlie, the inevitable happened this afternoon. As much as I sympathise with his parents sometimes its better to let go. As has been said you need no qualifications to handle a boat and cockwombles abound on the water. A long time ago, 1969 we hired a cruiser for a holiday on the Norfolk Broads. We were coming down the River Wensum through Great Yarmouth on a falling tide. Despite the engine only ticking over enough for us to steer the boat we were moving with the tidal flow at about 5 mph. We came around the bend into GY to be confronted with a 40 foot cruiser trying to turn his boat around because he had spotted a moring. A collision was inevitable, fortunately no damage was done to the cruisers but the clincher built dingy we were pulling astern got trapped between the larger boats and was 'sprung' and started filling with water. We managed to haul it partially out of the water so that it wouldn't sink. We'd managed to get the details of the other cruiser and when we returned the boats we informed the boatyard who were quite OK about it as word had got back about this particular cockwombles activities, our incident wasn't the first or last.

• Like 1

Fast approaching 3PM and the relief (i.e. Mrs) is nowhere to be seen, she promised she'd be back no later than 2 "probably"!!  :help:

The three dogs, having rushed around the house for a couple of hours have pissed off/annoyed/bored Bob enough, by their mere existence, that he decided on a new location to ignore them from. Unfortunately it makes working that much harder! :O  :jester:

post-20244-0-95507600-1501271547_thumb.jpg

I'd POE, but managing the herd isn't easily accomplished at the same time as relaxing with some liquid refreshment...

• Like 3

Hi Andy, did you not walk up into Buckfastleigh to the Ratio Factory and Shop, it was / is opposite our old Video Library, (now Buckfastleigh Kebab House)?

Sadly no visit to the above establishment Andy - but having persuaded Sarah to undertake a second steam railway visit in the space of three days I did not want to push my luck. Besides, I spent enough in the gift shop! I reckon the model railway range at Buckfastleigh is as good as the one at Aylsham on the Bure Valley Railway. Mind you, I was not the only one who had convinced their wife of the merits of both steam railways in a short space of time - we bumped into our fellow church members again yesterday - on the platform at Buckfastleigh towards the end of the day.

Back to today - and our last full day down here on the South coast. With presents to buy for back home, we decided to return to Paignton. The original plan was to catch the steam train from Churston again, but Amber decided that she did not want a steam train ride today so we drove instead. It backfired on her as we only had enough change for five hours on the car park and so had to leave by 3.30. She was disappointed not to get too long on the sea front play area, and there were tears. Had she agreed to the train ride we would have had an extra hour! That being said, the rain started about 1pm and  has not stopped yet. We completed the shopping, had lunch in the seafront Harvester and won a few prizes on the pier arcades. The day also saw a return visit to the Paignton Model shop and yes - more money was spent. When we get home, I really will have to get started on my Skaleby Quay layout - especially as much of what I have purchased is for use on this particular layout. There are still five weeks of the summer break left so hopefully I can make some significant progress.

As for tomorrow, we have to be out of the apartment by 10am. The plan is to hit the road as early as possible so that we can try to clear Bristol at a reasonable hour. The hope is to avoid the traffic - time will tell if we actually manage that. I will check in again once we are home.

Night all.

• Like 16

Today was going really well and I was on track to leave Wolverhampton at 13:00.

It all went the shape of the pear when I was asked to attend an urgent call out in Kidderminster. I don't mind doing genuine ones but this one took the buscuit. The fault had occured on Sunday but the client decided that it should be looked at today before the weekend. Of course, I only found out about when the fault occured when talking to the client.

I eventually got home at 20:20.

The first lot of washing has alredy been started with only having tomorrow to sort everything out for next week. Sunday is Didcot day and I'm not going to miss that.

A quick catch up on the rest of the forum.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The the palantír of Anárion perhaps?

It is said that only people of great strength would see in it anything other than two flaming withered hands of the last Steward of Gondor, Denethor II.

Well that gets the prize for the most exotic suggestion.  I had wondered if Neil might enter the fray so I will perhaps give him a chance before revealing the truth but yes - it does involve heat.

Perhaps not entirely surprisingly the waters of the south west do seem to boast a goodly maritime cockwomble crop at this time of year which led to me learning a new acronyms - WAFI.  This refers to those in sailing boats, various, some of whom seem to put fishing boats completely in the shade when it comes to what might be regarded by others as downright stupid behaviour; WAFI translates as Wind Assisted F(lipp)ing Idiot

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

A rather pleasant and quiet evening, one where we sat and chatted whilst drinking a glass or two of red and didn't switch on the idiots lantern wasn't switch on until it was time for the 10 o'clock news.

It's now time for bed, goodnight all.

• Like 15

After several weeks, nay, months, of being informed that my PayPal account has been used irregularly I was told today that they have taken further action and have locked it.

Thank God for that. At least it cannot be used irregularly anymore.

Apparently the fire at the seafront cafe a few days ago was probably caused by the fair being plugged into the leccy circuit.

The fire at the hotel was possibly some kind of arson. Anybody wanting a good read (not just about the fire) should Google the Bay Hotel, Teignmouth. To say the very least, the owner is an interesting character.

Good morning one and all

The Bletchley Area of the HMRS is on tour today.  Our first stop is Pendon, followed by lunch.  If there is time we may continue to Didcot.  Following yesterday's fun with the mobile phone I have some shopping to do, either on the way there or on the way back.  The range of personal radios on the Argos and Currys websites is not encouraging.  Most come with rechargeable batteries, which is a fat lot of use on a campsite.  There is of course a radio in the car but this cuts out after half an hour unless the engine is running, which might disturb fellow campers.  Why, one might ask, do I want a radio at all?  It is mostly for the local weather forecast but a brief injection of news avoids total surprise on returning home.  Fear not: apart from that I am detached from the real world when on holiday.

Best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, inner temple here, a good night's sleep was had,

Tying in two of the posts above we have MAFIs here on the broads, Motor Assisted Flammimg Idiots as well as some WAFIs, but no NAAFIs as both RAF Coltishall and RAF Neatishead have Closed. MAFI and WAFI are both common terms on the several broads forums.

Though there is the RAF RADAR museum on part of RAF Neatishead site, the frightening thing is the Type 84 radar I'm qualified to work on is now a listed building, and most of the gear inside the museum, I worked on, and or SWMBO operated. It's worth a visit. http://www.radarmuseum.co.uk

Well after the morning necessaries, I'll be loading up the landrover for the week, I've a week of rescue boat driving, which rarely includes rescuing the sailors.

Mostly it's shepherding tourist hire boats which include many MAFIs normally on a alcohol induced high, as well as some who are just idiots.

The private boats include a lesser amount of MAFIs, some also due to alcohol, some because they haven't read the broads regulations but think they know it all, and one or two arrogant b*****rs who think because they've spent £100,000+ on their boat they can do what they like (the top end BMW and Audi drivers of the river).

The tourists of course have practically never read the regulations and don't realise there are up to £2000 fines for speeding, fishing from a moving motor boat or being drunk in charge of...

The seaweed inspectors on and by the looks of it we should miss the rain on the water Saturday and Sunday as it will go through overnight.

Right there are accusing brown eyes looking at me so..

Time to... take Ben the Border Collie for his morning constitutional, have breakfast, then pack...

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunny start here and should be a nice morning but rain is expected later.

That may affect the Test Match somewhat. Spent most of yesterday afternoon watching it and very enjoyable (if you're English) it was too. I shall probably watch more today however will miss tomorrow as I too will be at Didcot.

Breakfast beckons and then I have been asked if I would mind (yes really asked) running Herself to Sainsbury's as "we forget to get some things on Thursday." Most unusual for Mrs Efficiency to forget anything so I suppose once again it must be my fault!

Breakfast first though, boiled eggs and "soldiers" seem like a good idea.  :yes:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 6

Good morning one and all

The Bletchley Area of the HMRS is on tour today.  Our first stop is Pendon, followed by lunch.  If there is time we may continue to Didcot.  Following yesterday's fun with the mobile phone I have some shopping to do, either on the way there or on the way back.  The range of personal radios on the Argos and Currys websites is not encouraging.  Most come with rechargeable batteries, which is a fat lot of use on a campsite.  There is of course a radio in the car but this cuts out after half an hour unless the engine is running, which might disturb fellow campers.  Why, one might ask, do I want a radio at all?  It is mostly for the local weather forecast but a brief injection of news avoids total surprise on returning home.  Fear not: apart from that I am detached from the real world when on holiday.

Best wishes to all in distress and recovery

Chris

What about one of those wind up ones that were going to save the world a few years ago?

Enjoyed the Test Match highlights - what a great debut!

2nd innings should be interesting if it isn't rained off.

Don't bother with the boxing - the opponent has lost his fight with the shower.

• Like 16