The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

This morning's heavy rain has finally stopped and I think the sun may well make an appearance!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Morning from Prague.

I did don't get to sleep last night till the early hours as just couldn't do so despite being in bed around 10pm.

I think it was down to not having as much beer as previous nights on our trip so that can be fixed this evening!!

Currently on our way back on the train from Dobris which is a 90 minute ride from Prague but still included in the all zones day ticket for 160Kr (about £6). These four wheel rebuilt rail cars into three car sets are actually quite comfortable and you can drop the top section of window to take photos and get some fresh air.

Our last full day in the Czech Republic or Chechia as it now known but I stil prefer the former name.

He usual hotel that we stay in where the girl on reception remembers us each time we stay, gave us a free upgrade to a duplex room. Oddly there is no TV in the living room on the lower floor but it would make a great layout room. At present it's being used to hang our clothes we washed yesterday. Should be dry by the morning when we need to pack them and head off to Berlin.

Tomorrow we will visit Stone Brewery Berlin. Ironically our usual bar, The Rake in Borough Market has the Stone brewery tap take over tonight along with the founder of the California based brewery present to re- sign the wall after it's refurbishment.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

From a wet Lancaster where the rain had not yet abated.  Didn't get back yesterday as too much else happening - car needed an aircon service and they washed and hoovered it for free, saving me a tenner on a visit to the Poles.  Trip to Grange Over Sands cancelled as it was raining too hard, and modified to Kirkby Lonsdale, then cancelled all together as after her walkies, the dog was just too wet, and neither of us wanted to get totally soaked.  So out came the paint pots and the bathroom door, office room door, and office room emulsion were all touched up.

So generic greetings are on offer to the celebrating and ailing.

Back later, or more probably tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 2

HUMP morning.

The "cable guy" event yesterday was effectively a non-starter.

He spent about an hour or more in vain trying to determine where the feed was, despite being assured by the home office that service had been there until April (prior tenant).

Finally admitted defeat and had an appointment made for an "MDT" (multi-dwelling Technician), since apparently that team have blueprints showing how these sorts of complexes are wired and can therefore troubleshoot and re-wire any errant cable. Very nice guy, explained that the first person sent out is usually expecting a typical prat unable to find his backside with both hands, and therefore takes about 5 minutes to get things sorted.

I'll be over there Monday (earliest the elite TEAM can be dispatched) at 9AM to see what they can do. Fortunately, as Jemma is on a trip until Monday afternoon she's obviously NOT fussed about having no service.

From mid-evening yesterday until the early hours we've had serious storms, some areas around us reporting 1-3 inches of rain, not sure what we got, but it was wet and very humid this morning.

Plenty of fog/mist driving in as the air is thick with moisture, fortunately no cockwombles on parade.

21 and overcast with mist/fog and light rain, supposed to be a muggy 29 for the high with more opportunities for storms later - yay!

Head over the HUMP everyone.

Yesterday quiet, peaceful, punctuated with a short trip to Jemmas' apartment and a failed exercise in setting up her cable internet/TV.

The company (Comcast) said she could do a "self install" as their database said her townhouse already had service connections. After about an hour faffing about and another 45 minutes on the help line with a service rep, conclusion was a technician is needed to connect the service!

The "cable guy" event yesterday was effectively a non-starter.

He spent about an hour or more in vain trying to determine where the feed was, despite being assured by the home office that service had been there until April (prior tenant).

Finally admitted defeat and had an appointment made for an "MDT" (multi-dwelling Technician), since apparently that team have blueprints showing how these sorts of complexes are wired and can therefore troubleshoot and re-wire any errant cable. Very nice guy, explained that the first person sent out is usually expecting a typical prat unable to find his backside with both hands, and therefore takes about 5 minutes to get things sorted.

I'll be over there Monday (earliest the elite TEAM can be dispatched) at 9AM to see what they can do. Fortunately, as Jemma is on a trip until Monday afternoon she's obviously NOT fussed about having no service.

My Comcast saga continues as well. A week after my two frustrating rounds with the support people on the 'phone, the service technician visited last Saturday. All his diagnostics indicated good signals but after replacing the set-top box and a little rewiring in the termination cabinet, everything worked and he left me happy. When I turned on the TV on Sunday morning the slave set-top box could not connect with the master set-top box with the same RF-related error as it had a week before.

I should just disconnect the unused outlets in the termination cabinet. At this point I suspect signal reflections from un-terminated ends given I know there is a very strong signal.

My experience with Comcast technicians calling on multi-unit dwellings is that they are morons. A year ago in my old place, after a bunch of drama around me providing access to work on someone else's cable (my unit contained the opening into the attic space and I had to permit entry to my unit when I couldn't be there) they apparently severed my cable connection - which of course required a service technician visit - but only after the "are you sure your set-top box is connected properly" rigmarole with support people on the 'phone: "Yes I am sure it is plugged in, it worked fine yesterday before your morons climbed into my attic". Ultimately the technician never actually fixed what was broken, he just jury rigged a signal splitter into someone else's service that he could easily access. I know that one day a technician will look at that and wonder "what moron did that?"

Edited by Ozexpatriate

My Comcast saga continues as well. A week after my two frustrating rounds with the support people on the 'phone, the service technician visited last Saturday. All his diagnostics indicated good signals but after replacing the set-top box and a little rewiring in the termination cabinet, everything worked and he left me happy. When I turned on the TV on Sunday morning the slave set-top box could not connect with the master set-top box with the same RF-related error as it had a week before.

I should just disconnect the unused outlets in the termination cabinet. At this point I suspect signal reflections from un-terminated ends given I know there is a very strong signal.

My experience with Comcast technicians calling on multi-unit dwellings is that they are morons. A year ago in my old place, after a bunch of drama around me providing access to work on someone else's cable (my unit contained the opening into the attic space and I had to permit entry to my unit when I couldn't be there) they apparently severed my cable connection - which of course required a service technician visit - but only after the "are you sure your set-top box is connected properly" rigmarole with support people on the 'phone: "Yes I am sure it is plugged in, it worked fine yesterday before your morons climbed into my attic". Ultimately the technician never actually fixed what was broken, he just jury rigged a signal splitter into someone else's service that he could easily access. I know that one day a technician will look at that and wonder "what moron did that?"

Sorry to hear the ongoing problems, quelle surprise, with Comcast often it seems :(

Best performance, as yesterday, seems to be when the individual is a contractor as they actually seem to have a clue. Sadly, as he said, the MDT group will have to come out and I suspect they aren't contractors, therefore potentially clueless! We live in hope...

• Like 13

We might "go electric" next year if we give our diesel Jetta back to VW. We live about 20 miles from town so it makes some sense in our situation. Also, electricity is relatively inexpensive here.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

We might "go electric" next year if we give our diesel Jetta back to VW. We live about 20 miles from town so it makes some sense in our situation. Also, electricity is relatively inexpensive here.

I'm seriously thinking about an electric car, now if they offered a people carrier version of this definitely so. http://www.morris-commercial.com/morris-j-type/

• Like 3

2 strange fires in 2 weeks in buildings in the town. First one was a fire in a hotel, a slightly notorious one I must add. And last night a seafront cafe caught fire, last week it was burgled.

Odd goings on indeed!

Not a bad day as far as work went but ould have been better.

A driver following me along a single carriageway road in the wet coming up to a blind bend decided to overtake me. The posted limit was 50mph and I was sitting exactly on the limit. She has to be henwomble of the week

Cockwomble of the week goes to the idiot HGV driver who pulled who decided to overtake another HGV on a dual carriageway while I was alongside him. How I missed the central reservation I couldn't tell.

To complete my day, the housekeeping team decided not to replenish the coffee with the propper stuff and only gave me decaf.

I hope that tomorrow is better.

I know that the majority of fully electric cars is in the future, but has anyone thought about the blind and partially sighted who need engine noise to confirm that it is clear to cross minor roads?

Time for some food.

Back later.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

My motorboat went electric last year, I get a 5 hour range on battery alone. But if I want more or need to cook I wind up the diesel generator. The solar panels keep the batteries charged normally.

For a car to be electric I need a range of 500 miles, with no more than 3 stops to charge up that last no longer than 30 minutes each. That's for a trip I do 4 times a year. Monday to Friday I need 50 miles return journey without charging. There are other trips between those must do requirements.

At the moment I see no car that can do this, and electric cars are extortionately expensive at the moment. There is a lot of development work required before I buy one.

attachicon.gifts1268r1.gif

generally known as Loud MacLeod

As his mother was a MacLeod from Lewis this is a very appropriate tartan for our dear President.

I think I mentioned that my cousin married a Lewismon (naturally he is a MacLeod) which means I'm probably related through marriage to DJT.

My motorboat went electric last year, I get a 5 hour range on battery alone. But if I want more or need to cook I wind up the diesel generator. The solar panels keep the batteries charged normally.

For a car to be electric I need a range of 500 miles, with no more than 3 stops to charge up that last no longer than 30 minutes each. That's for a trip I do 4 times a year. Monday to Friday I need 50 miles return journey without charging. There are other trips between those must do requirements.

At the moment I see no car that can do this, and electric cars are extortionately expensive at the moment. There is a lot of development work required before I buy one.

They don't work for a lot of people but the range isn't a problem for most of our mileage which is just to and from town. We have other vehicles for the infrequent long trips we take.

The cost here is not so bad thanks to a massive tax credit although that's a bit tricky for us as we don't earn enough to pay a lot of tax. If I want to earn the credit I'll have to cash-in some tax-exempt savings and pay the tax due. That would require a bit of fancy footwork if I'm not going to coque it up.

• RMweb Gold

I was sent some information (not sure why) telling me about the Mini All 4 Countryman electric with range extender engine. Not cheap though.

We need to seriously think if we really need two cars now

• RMweb Premium

Has anyone considered the electrical generation needs to feed of all these electric cars, all being plugged in to recharge at six o'clock of an evening when 'Dad gets home from work'??  What, 40 million cars, all taking, at a guess at least 10 amps....probably a lot more....what a load of cobblers.  Utopian dream.

• RMweb Gold

When you are sitting in that traffic jam on a cold winter's evening, don't forget that if you want to get home you can't put your lights or heater on.

Quite often on an evening I can't get parked outside my own house. Do I pass a plug to neighbours and ask them to plug it in for me?

As Neil said Utopian dream? Or cloud cuckoo land?

I hope to be going the other way, and buying an older, less efficient car.

• Like 9

What, 40 million cars, all taking, at a guess at least 10 amps....probably a lot more....what a load of cobblers.  Utopian dream.

It's no different than the dawn of the 20th century when there wasn't a petrol station on every major intersection. It will take time.

Quite often on an evening I can't get parked outside my own house. Do I pass a plug to neighbours and ask them to plug it in for me?

Who says you have to plug it in at home? My employer* has electric plug ins at work. So does the airport parking garage. So does the car park at the bank and a local 'fast casual' restaurant.

* Right now they don't charge for a charge either, though that could change.

Who says you have to own a car when ubiquitous electric ride sharing eventuates? It is not the likes of us that will participate in this new world of electric vehicles but our children and grandchildren. We are the horse and buggy generation of the dawn of the 20th century.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I have been driving for quite a number of years now and although I don't cover that many miles I think I can count on one hand the number of hen or cock wombles I have met. I may have been lucky or perhaps I am just a tolerant person.

I am sure that I may have been a cockwomble myself on one or two occasions. Purely accidentally of course.

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I have been driving for quite a number of years now and although I don't cover that many miles I think I can count on one hand the number of hen or cock wombles I have met. I may have been lucky or perhaps I am just a tolerant person.

I am sure that I may have been a cockwomble myself on one or two occasions. Purely accidentally of course.

I do occasionally encounter the odd thoughtless driver but not as often as some do. Perhaps I don't drive enough. Or perhaps because I drive a shiny 4x4 people assume I am going to do something daft myself?
  • Like 13