The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I seem to remember adverts that showed how well certain products survived immersion in lakes. Barbour jackets, Seagull outboard motors and Timex watches. I bet the VW doesn't start though!

And I bet the carburettor is flooded too.

The engine in that one looks like it'll be water-cooled now....

We had a wasser-boxer VW Vanagon. Unfortunately VW hadn't quite mastered the art of preventing corrosion between the cylinders and the heads and it started to drip coolant. I don't think they ever really solved the problem.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It's been quite an eventful day, what with my little shoutrip this morning, where there was disappointment when I went to the butchers, as at 10:45 they'd sold all the pasties! So I ended up buying a couple of pork pies for dinner. They went down very nicely, plenty of jelly in them and they were still warm too! Even Sheila enjoys them and she doesn't normally like pork pies. However, before lunch, No 2 son very kindly took me to pick up my new car. It now sits on the drive, whilst my company car is on the road, so we are now a TWO car household.

It's all quiet here now that all the little ones have gone home, so once Sheila has finished tidying up the kitchen I'll open a bottle of red.

• Like 7

Morning Awl, after a poor nights sleep, not good when there is 460 mile drive later.

I hope it went well. I drove 400 miles on Tuesday, and I didn't feel back to what passes as 'normal' till this morning. The last 90 miles was freeway, and there was about 35 miles of 4-track road at one point. The rest was 2-track (or 3-track - cringe!) mountain road. It takes it out of me physically as well as mentally. 

Evening all. Back from seventeen days holiday, though I have looked in on the forum now and then. On the morning we were setting off I did a quick scan around to make sure the lights and taps were off. Under the sink in our cloakroom I thought there was a big spider sitting on the flexible water pipe. Closer inspection showed it to be a bulge in the flexible pipe: the reinforcing wires had broken and the tube was on its way to bursting. Imagine it had burst after we had left and been pouring water at full bore for seventeen days! To add insult to injury it was the hot water tap and our combi boiler would have been burning gas to heat the water before it was dumped on the floor. We have always left the water on so that our daughter can call and do a wash load if she needs to as she doesn't have a tumble dryer. In future she will have to find the stop cock and turn the water on then off. If you have these flexible pipes at home can I suggest you have a quick check to see they are not about to burst?

post-382-0-81443400-1500665456_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ohmisterporter

Re. the VW emerging from the lake, would I be right in thinking the location is at the North end of "Lock" Lomond? The mountains look like Ben Lomond to the left and The Cobbler (aka Ben Arfur) to the right.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

270 degree turn?

I was always concerned with that particular driver...I wondered if he had L and R on the control panel....

we got home OK though.

Baz

• Like 8

I was always concerned with that particular driver...I wondered if he had L and R on the control panel....

we got home OK though.

Baz

There is a part of south Lanarkshire, around Forth, where I'm sure a whole generation were taught 'left' and 'right' reversed. I have heard directions being given which turned out to be the opposite of correct - and not just at one turn. I've even seen 'right' indicated with the left hand and vice-versa. A couple of other people I know have had similar experiences. (Or maybe the locals just liked to confuse outsiders.)

• RMweb Premium

Evening all. Back from seventeen days holiday, though I have looked in on the forum now and then. On the morning we were setting off I did a quick scan around to make sure the lights and taps were off. Under the sink in our cloakroom I thought there was a big spider sitting on the flexible water pipe. Closer inspection showed it to be a bulge in the flexible pipe: the reinforcing wires had broken and the tube was on its way to bursting. Imagine it had burst after we had left and been pouring water at full bore for seventeen days! To add insult to injury it was the hot water tap and our combi boiler would have been burning gas to heat the water before it was dumped on the floor. We have always left the water on so that our daughter can call and do a wash load if she needs to as she doesn't have a tumble dryer. In future she will have to find the stop cock and turn the water on then off. If you have these flexible pipes at home can I suggest you have a quick check to see they are not about to burst?

attachicon.gifP1010157.JPG

I have the same but I also have isolator valves fitted to every tap below the flexible links so if I had a similar problem I would only have to turn off the individual tap. I've even got an isolator valve fitted to the loo cistern.

• Like 1

There is a part of south Lanarkshire, around Forth, where I'm sure a whole generation were taught 'left' and 'right' reversed. I have heard directions being given which turned out to be the opposite of correct - and not just at one turn. I've even seen 'right' indicated with the left hand and vice-versa. A couple of other people I know have had similar experiences. (Or maybe the locals just liked to confuse outsiders.)

It's not uncommon in people who are dlysexic.

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl, I had a seagull outboard that spent several weeks under water. I changed the fuel and it started second pull.

Meanwhile I've seen several be VW camper vans on the A74M when I got there eventually....

My normal time for the journey from the coast of Norfolk to central Scotland is 8 hours, today 11.5!!!!

The main reasons being;

12 miles of 3 lane highway being coned off to two all the way to scotch corner, how many workmen in the carriageway either direction? Nil, not one, not even near the carriageway. Every time there was a road junction we ground to a halt as more cars squeezed on the A1M.

Then the A66 was down to single lane for some time, due to resurfacing and they were actually working though, amazing!!!.

Then the traffic stopped, I bailed out eventually down a minor road and her in the box got us back on the A66 several miles later, just at the point the accident was, 5 police cars, one cockwomble, who had given another car a kiss on the backside. Luckily we were just able to clear the accident and continue.

By this time my dad was in a bit of distress due to sitting in the car so long and the heat. So we stopped at the Llama Karma cafe, tea, coffee, plus dad on his portable breathing machine. A weird place that, yes they do have llamas and several other creatures, but it appears to be a good place to stop I may use it again.

We Went back to the car and as mum and dad climbed carefully in , the traffic stopped, someone kindly let us straight in, not that it helped, 40 minutes to cover the 8 miles to the M6,

At the first of the two round abouts another cockwomble had given someone a love tap.

After that it was a clear run for us all the way home

Things that were lucky for us, the A1 was closed both carriageways at Blyth sometime after we had gone through.

The was a van on its side at Hamilton on the M74 middle lane, traffic at a standstill... on the south bound carriageway.

We weren't going to Exeter, according to the radio, the traffic jam on the M6 started at Bristol!!!!

Still I can have another go tomorrow as I drive back to Norfolk, if I awake early as normal 03:00 to 04:00 I'll set of then.....

Time to see if I can close my eyes with out the traffic going past...

I have the same but I also have isolator valves fitted to every tap below the flexible links so if I had a similar problem I would only have to turn off the individual tap. I've even got an isolator valve fitted to the loo cistern.

Same here Phil, it makes changing them easier too. Flexible pipes are available with isolating valves  built in. I don't see the point of them because if they have to be changed the water has to be turned off further down the line or at the main stop cock.

• RMweb Premium

Q.. its summer and they shouldn't be allowed out on their own.  Leeds traffic has been chaos this week due to a number of bumps and nudges...I managed to avoid being a sandwich today between a bus and a DPD van...I stopped ..they went.

Safe journey for tomorrow.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Surprised SWMBO by meeting her from work and taking her to dinner.  In days long gone when we were young that might have also resulted in some interesting social activities later as well ;)  Time passes ......

Discovered with very mixed feelings earlier that I am entitled to free travel around London these days; I was aware of the bus entitlement but it appears I have been paying fares I didn't need to on the big trains at the corner of the road.  Can't turn back the clock - can send off the photo application and accept the inevitable instead.  I'm officially allowed to travel free based purely on age and address.

More rain forecast overnight.  Wonder if we shall actually receive any.  

G'night all.  No alarm set for tomorrow so may be a late start.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Same here Phil, it makes changing them easier too. Flexible pipes are available with isolating valves  built in. I don't see the point of them because if they have to be changed the water has to be turned off further down the line or at the main stop cock.

Mine are fitted separately to the flexible pipes so I don't have any problems.

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

so we are up to Princess Beatrice, next page is Lady Patricia.. and I have a model of that cos my little sis has the middle name of Patricia...

Sleep well everyone

Baz

• Like 13

... When I returned to the school building and dismissed a sobbing class, hugging each child one by one I was met by a gaggle of parents with further gifts. One was a signed Derby County shirt. On the front it was signed by the current first team, and on the back it was signed by every child in my class. ...

The final gift was a promise card for something that will follow next week. This is a 00 scale bus, altered to include the school name as the destination and my name and class along the side. ...

Take care all and many thanks for your support. Mission accomplished!

Andy, congratulations on the conduct of your exit. The high road is best and you have trodden it honourably.

If I may suggest, do have that Derby shirt framed - perhaps in a double-sided manner (which I presume is possible). Framing is expensive, but I'm sure there are less expensive options than museum glass that would be suitable. To me that feels like something to treasure - not the least because of the signatures by your pupils.

The bus is quite thoughtful. I hope you can find a prominent bridge to place it on.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 14