The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

The rain has stopped and hopefully all the water butts are now fully recharged, all 5 of them.

We're off to see Sammy, and vet Helen, at 14.00 and it might well be nasty decision day based on what she has to say because if his bladder is showing no improvement that will be it for the poor old fellah as you can't really keep a cat on a catheter (although no doubt we would if we could).  So fingers crossed.

Hope everybody has a good day and good to hear that tony seems to have got shot of the infection.

Edited by The Stationmaster

• RMweb Gold

Blimey, the brownie point bank is positively overflowing.  :yes:  :imsohappy:

You know what they say.

Make hay before the rain comes back.

Pessimistic? Me?

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

........took me nearly 30 minutes to return all the spares.

One of which you will need on your first visit this afternoon.

Pessimistic? Me?

In the Estate where a distant Australian relative crawled out of the woodwork to claim that she should have been "looked after", it's now day 6 since I served the Warning to the Caveator (i.e. her Solicitors). If they don't get their response in by 14th July, the Caveat should be removed once I submit my sworn Affidavit of Service and my client will hopefully then have Probate. There hasn't been a peep out of the Aussie's Solicitors since I served the Warning, and it's the waiting that I can't stand. They are a big enough Firm to know what they are doing, and I fully expect them to try to keep the Caveat in place.

Meanwhile, the Estate of my late Irish client drags on, and I need to see what HMRC will decide in respect of how we're going to pay 70 grand's-worth of IHT - and I did calculate that correctly! - when there's almost no liquid cash in the Estate. I am aware that an option is to pay by instalments (until the property here is sold), but that means interest will be added on top, and how are we going to pay instalments when there's almost no liquid cash, etc....?

On the shopping list:

- better quality castings (Weinert?) to upgrade the detail on that ML DB Br.82 kit;

- Teichmann wheel castings, axles, bushings and crankpins for said Br.82 (the generic Romfords that come with the kit don't really cut it nowadays)

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Premium

Blimey, the brownie point bank is positively overflowing.  :yes:  :imsohappy:

Interest rates are low and some banks are considering charging for looking after your deposits.

To quote Viv Nicholson, I recommend you "spend, spend, SPEND!" whilst they hold their value. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That's an understatement. I've looked at the few accounts I have, and the one thing that pervades all of them is a distinct lack of interest.

I think I get more on cashback or "rewards" offers on my various cards and accounts than I do in interest.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

That's an understatement. I've looked at the few accounts I have, and the one thing that pervades all of them is a distinct lack of interest.

I had a National Savings certificate statement the other day - interest measured in less than the price of a pint in a posh pub.  But the index linking number looked quite impressive - and served to remind what is happening to other accounts.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Lunch has been consumed and a cup of tea is now waiting to be finished.

As I'm here on my own here in the orifice, once that is finished, I'm going to lock up and head for home.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Aditi has been busy producing the French Circle lecture guide for next year. It is printed duplex on A5 paper to be folded into booklet format. Multicoloured too. Somehow a naughty blank page had inserted itself but she soon sorted that. She has gone out to deliver the booklets to a friend. They usually get distributed at the social evening (petanque and steak ) which is this evening. I said Aditi should go and I would be fine but she has decided to stay at home this evening.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

I think I get more on cashback or "rewards" offers on my various cards and accounts than I do in interest.

All my cashback and rewards were blown this morning on five of the 7mm scale Berry Wiggins 14 ton class B tank wagons from the Dapol factory shop.

If the Obergrumpenfuhrer finds out I WILL be overdrawn in the bank of brownie points.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

All my cashback and rewards were blown this morning on five of the 7mm scale Berry Wiggins 14 ton class B tank wagons from the Dapol factory shop.

If the Obergrumpenfuhrer finds out I WILL be overdrawn in the bank of brownie points.

Just by coincidence something made by Dapol is en-route to my house.
  • Like 14

Does the Bank charge interest on overdrawn accounts? 

• RMweb Gold

Having now seen the pictures of the Bachmann SECR dark lake birdcage coaches I'm glad I've pre-ordered them. However I also rather like the olive green SR version. I feel a finger slipping on the keyboard moment coming on. I fear the brownie points will be leaving shortly.

• Like 12

HUMP day, let's hear it for the HUMP (I WAS going to say "HUMPING", but decided that was way too easy an opening for this lot!!  :girldevil: )

Yesterday continued with no sensible response from the "cloud provider", I just took a leaf from the '60s film playbook and performed a "Carry on Computing", byline "in spite of stupid".

Late afternoon along with Jemma and Trevor we performed our own extreme games event...

With the Mrs recently ordered "entertainment center/living room furniture item" and a sectional couch Jemma had ordered for her new apartment, BOTH in at the store, off we went;

Headed out at 4:15PM, rented 12' moving truck by 4:40, drove to the store, loaded all items, drove home and dropped the Mrs item off, then on to the apartment, hauling three pieces of a large sectional up a flight of stairs, back to return truck, and HOME by 6:50! Total miles on the truck 16, wear and tear on me <too much>  :O

Phew - I needed a couple of beers after THAT! Joined GDB in getting a LOT of brownie points banked :jester:

Overnight, apparently, the northern part of town suffered some severe storms and there are trees down hampering the commute, 14,000 without power and lots of places with various rain/high wind damage - didn't even notice anything at the south end here, even though this mayhem occurred only about 7-10 miles away.

Office drive day today, unfortunately a few cockwombles sighted, including one particularly miserable example driving some flash pseudo-sports Audi. Seems he HAD to weave in and out of traffic AND barge in late where there was road works and everyone ELSE was dutifully patient. He didn't seem to care for the various gestures made in his direction either... hoping NOT to offend any ERs, I have to comment that the pseudo-sports Audis appear to be the latest contestants in the "I'm a bigger bum-wipe than everyone else" category on the roads here.

21 and sunny driving in expected to get to around 31 and steamy later then improve overnight apparently.

Overcome the HUMP and let's get a good start towards the weekend.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Sammy seemed much brighter when we visited but much depends on further examination and tests this afternoon. In even better news I can report that the Good Doctor's driving instructor has had to cancel his planned Caribbean holiday/round the world cruise due to forthcoming shortage of income as she has passed her Driving Test - well done that girl.

Glad Sammy is brighter.

Very good news about gaining another driver in the family. Aditi wasn't very good at passing driving tests but she has always been a good driver. I think she had 5 tests. Her Mum was quite pleased as she had said Aditi could have her Chevette (MiL wanted a new car) when she passed her test and she had needed to wait a few years.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Evening form a much cooler London after last nights continuous rain at home. I was up. At 1am and could hear dripping not the conservatory and again when I get up again at 5am so that needs investigating when it rains durng the day.

This morning, we thought our normal train to LBG would be running when it was advertised on the departure boards but then it was shown as delayed befor being cancelled. So that's two weeks so far without morning peak LBG trains.

This evenings train is running but it's wedged solid as usual during the overtime ban with more trying to get on board, asking people to move down inside. Not sure where they can move to though. Luckily we get here time to grab seats.

Two more days of this then we are away from commuting for a while. Wish it was permanently though.

Talking of new modelling items I still haven't heard when my pre ordered Heljan L & B locos wil be arriving. Oh well if the well known Liverpool retailer has run out then so be it. I have way too much stock as it is and haven't done any modelling for some weeks.

Our first show in months is mid August so I will need to get the Czech HO layout ready. There are a few things that I plan to do beforehand.

Edited by roundhouse