The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all and what a nice one it is,

Blue sky, sunshine and should stay fine all day.

Great day of sport yesterday and I was amazed at the Lions result. I would never have predicted that.

More sport today with cricket, cycling and F1. 

"She" is not amused but is putting up with it. I have already been offered breakfast so will get myself outside of that and may pop back later.

Have a good one,

Bob.

As I have your landline number how much are you going to pay me to keep quiet about that.  :spiteful:

A Hustler 

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Got to do a minor repair to a fence panel in the back garden today, only replacing a slat that has become detached. But I will have to tackle it from the outside which means venturing into the local authority's jungle decorative planting which means getting the hedge trimmer charged and ready. I will need it anyway as I haven't started on the pointing yet as its been to hot and the brickwork needing pointing is in full sun, I now need to cut a path to reach said wall.

• Like 5

Great day of sport yesterday and I was amazed at the Lions result. I would never have predicted that.

Ah yes, forgot to mention that youngest son managed to get a pirate connection for the Lions match yesterday. Great game! OTOH, should there be a legal requirement for there to be at least one player from each nation in the squad? See Scotland...:-))

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

That's a fair point Mal. Scotland were rather under represented in the original 41 - only 3 from memory. Unfortunate that Stuart Hogg got injured because I'm pretty sure he would have played in all the Tests.

I don't get these noise problems here in the heart of the Orthodox Jewish neighbourhood. Or trick-or-treaters. Or cold-callers.

My Mum lived for a short time in the middle of such a neighborhood. She got fed up with being asked to turn their cookers on, on Friday nights (she’d hide when the doorbell went). Somewhere on Stamford Hill, I think.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

My Mum lived for a short time in the middle of such a neighborhood. She got fed up with being asked to turn their cookers on, on Friday nights (she’d hide when the doorbell went). Somewhere on Stamford Hill, I think.

Best, Pete.

One often sees members of the Orthodox community travelling on the train to Benfleet now. North London has got expensive and a community has started on Canvey Island.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Odd sort of a day, but initlally, a quick special supportive mention to Mal.  Coming off these meds is never easy.  Hope you do pick up to 100% soon.  And of course the usual 45156 generic greeting to everybody else.

Been up since 04.55 this morning, to get a good pitch at the A6 boot sale, and managed to get an end of row position.  None of your blow a whistle at 11 and then a mad rush for the A6ers, more a case of open the gate and get set up - normally before the organisers arrive - official start time for sellers is 7, but by then all the good pitches are taken.  We were there at 6 and about thirty were there before us.  Another boot locally was cancelled, so it was rammed with more sellers than normal, but the same number of buyers.  Takings only fair to middling today.  Nobody announced themselves as fellow RMWebbers, so I guess none were.  As Geoff appears to be away, his wife was not around either,

An odd event happened on here, when I was trying to post, and the forum software got into a dispute with Firefox, the whole thing just froze, and I had to shut down completely then do a reboot, including a Windows error restart.

Is ot bedtime yet - the day does seem so very out of kilter when you get up so early,

Back tomorrow

Regards to All

Stewart

Edited by 45156
  • Like 1

A state of emergency has been declared for the whole of the province of British Columbia because of the number of wildfires burning. The last count I heard was 229, but that's rising by the hour. There are evacuations in progress in several areas, and houses have been lost. Very little rain forecast in the Interior for the next week at least. There are some thunderstorms around, but they are producing 'dry lightning' and little, if any, precipitation, so they are starting more fires.

Our son and family are driving home from here tomorrow, across the south of the province. We will be driving the same road on Thursday. At the moment, the nearest reported fire to the route is about 10km north of it - I hope it stays that far away.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I examined the fence panel, it looks as if a new one is in order, I managed to put back the errant slat but how long it will stay in place is doubtful and the top (weather) rail is crumbling. A quick trip to the orange emporium might be on the schedule for tomorrow or I might get the fencing contractor who put up my fence in the front to put a similar panel in.

Best, Pete.

One often sees members of the Orthodox community travelling on the train to Benfleet now. North London has got expensive and a community has started on Canvey Island.

There has been an orthodox community just up the road at Westcliffe for many years but like London property prices are forcing them to look elsewhere.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

After our usual Sunday morning lie-in, it was straight out to the workshop this morning. I finished off the new pin for the spanner that I'd started yesterday. I then repotted the 3 small mint plants that sit on the backdoor step, Sheila wanted them putting in one large pot and I'd just about enough time to complete that small task before lunch.

After lunch it was back down to the workshop to do a little tidying up and cleaning down the lathe from this morning's activities.

For tea tonight I made a vegetarian lasagne, using the courgettes that our neighbour had given me the other day, so I used up most of the vegetables in the fridge and made enough for 2 meals, one will be stored in the fridge for future use.

Cor blimey, is it that time already? Wine o'clock, so I'd best open a bottle I think.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

There has been an orthodox community just up the road at Westcliffe for many years but like London property prices are forcing them to look elsewhere.

I lived in Westcliff for a few years. There was a sizable Jewish community but they didn't seem to be of the very Orthodox persuasion. Aditi's sister is married to a Jewish chap but his parents were of the Communist persuasion and didn't obey dietary or religious clothing rules. They did swear a lot in Yiddish though. Many of their friends (lots of taxi drivers) retired to Westcliff but then they started to move to Israel or Florida instead.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Tonight's parenting task.

Trying to explain to a left handed dyspraxic Matthew how to load and arm a mousetrap.

I think he may have got some defective ones as he had to whack the trigger with a pen to set them off! I have ordered an identical looking one from Amazon. I will make a set of illustrated instructions for him.

The Cleaner, Kim (or Kym)

post-7041-0-52977400-1499629104_thumb.jpg

Richard & Adam with minder

post-7041-0-77384900-1499629225_thumb.jpg

Kim, Parry (Bargain Hunt and Flog It Auctioneer), Mayor, Darth

post-7041-0-62857300-1499629358_thumb.jpg

I must say I was impressed with the two lads.

I've not encountered them before but after some success on a TV Talent Show they have had four successful Albums and their singing shows the hallmarks of proper operatic training.

They sang about a car - the Nissan Dormer and other standards.

• Like 7

I'm in the other one. I don't even get bothered by them ever since I removed the mezuzah from the door frame...

....There has been an orthodox community just up the road at Westcliffe for many years but like London property prices are forcing them to look elsewhere.

I think they draw the line at moving into Jaywick....

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Just returned from a sunny day spent in the company of a Cleaner, Darth Vader and a couple of pleasant lads whose new album has gone straight to No1.

Richard & Adam with minder

I had googled the charts after your original post but couldn't understand why a 'couple of pleasant looking lads' would call themselves Ed Sheeran.

I'm even more confused now that you tell me they are called Richard, Adam and Minder.

Hasn't Dennis Waterman aged well?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,
The pear trees survived unscathed, SWMBO decided she wanted some lilac cuttings, these were further down the list for heavy duty pruning and got promoted. On chopping the first one, it released a bramble that was climbing up it. It landed on the top of my head, bramble thornes in the solar panel..,ouch....

I kept further pruning up including brambles till the lithium battery ran down, which was how I felt too. So i retired for a coffee. The bonfire pile is now 10 foot high, 20ft across. But as the farmer hasn't cut the barley and cleared the chaff yet the bonfire will have to wait.

We did go to the car boot, but found they have now banned dogs, so me and SWMBO had to take turns doggy sitting Ben, he behaved very well for the hour and a half we were there and got a bit of my bacon butty. I bought several books including "The Broads From The Air" which when I got home I found had been signed by the pilot/ cameraman/ author, Mike Page.

On returning home some clearing up was done, cement bags to the bonfire etc the wind really got up at about 13:00 it was like standing in front of a hot air blower.

We don't get WiFi from the house to the mobile home, as the router in on the opposite side of the house, all walls brick inside and out, and the mobile home is on a different electricity phase. I'm considering trying a repeater in our bedroom window, but there are some trees in the way it's about 150 ft away.

Time to... get some sleep I need to be up in 7 hours...

Edited by TheQ