The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. As well as my usual daily trip to Tesco's I also visited Sainsbury's today. I'm glad I did as I also decided to treat myself for my birthday. I discovered that the bakery in Sainsbury's now has a Patisserie Valerie counter where I took possession of a vanilla cheesecake, absolutely delicious. The lady behind the counter told me that this is a 'try out' and if successful will become a permanent fixture, I hope it does. I did forget to ask though if it was just the one store, a few selected stores or every store. Belated birthday greetings to Pete.

Which branch of Sainsbury was that?

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Prom #10 done.

285 kids and staff safely parked or dropped off in their various charabancs. Only about 5 minutes of near meltdown with a queue of 150 yards onto the passing main road.......

Tonight's favourite was a well restored Mk3 Cortina GXL.

Only one more next Wednesday night and that should be a relatively easy 90 or so, but it's a local-ish school and in the past has had unwanted hangers on (older boyfriends in boy racer cars) that can be a bit of a nuisance.

We shall wait and see.

There may will be a suitable beverage consumed and a possible trip to the modelling shed to pass the rest of the evening.

Work tomorrow and I hope I can continue with sorting out some less than ideal track laying done by others. It needs levelling and straightening, but I've succeeded in finding a solution that doesn't involve ripping it all up. In much the same way that a real tamper works.........

Junior NB has just sent me a link to the new Hawks shirts for the upcoming ice hockey season - I can see a pair being acquired for ourselves. Roll on our Sunday night entertainment again. Quite looking forward to the new season as the team announce returning players and a couple of new signings that should bode well for the bigger league structure this year - 10 teams instead of 8.

Mrs NB has also started preliminary planning for a special birthday treat for Junior (21) next year that could involve a US trip and possibly four NHL hockey matches!

Have a good weekend folks

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

G'day

G'night

G'morning after

The stuff arrived yesterday as scheduled though it had been transferred from its 20-foot container to a 40-foot rigid van because 1) the transport firm said (and I agreed) that a 40-foot semitrailer would have difficulty getting through and 2) no-one uses 20-foot flatbed rigids here (apart from the ones I have seen around).

So the tidy loading in Oz with furniture in last to come off first had been reversed. The furniture came off last. That meant the crew had nowhere to unpack most of the boxes into so they had to be stacked throughout the flat still unopened.

Yesterday was also a very humid 30C making life unpleasant to unbearble for shifting 250 boxes of stuff. It hasn't been much better today as we began the task of decanting boxes into shelves and cupboards. We have a long way to go but I disposed of some 30 boxes to recycling tonight and around 20 were unpacked yesterday.

So far nothing is broken and the only damage is a couple of knocks to the book cases.

In other news we have tenants moving into the Australian house next Friday and I am almost back on two feet though still shuffle a bit and require regular rests.

Best wishes for the weekend and congrats to Captain Jemma.

• RMweb Premium

The baz taxi service was not required so a bottle of Lancaster Black was drunk while watching the T20 slogathon.

Now for some sleep!

Night to most!

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

It looks like another night sitting up in the chair is on the cards. Hopefully tonight I may grab some sleep between the regular bouts of coughing that rack my poor fevered body. We shall see, but it is man flu you know.

If this goes on for another night I may have to resort to a hot whisky toddy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It's been a hectic day here, as we got up late, having not bothered with the alarm as we didn't need to be anywhere thus morning. No gardening again today, as the green bin is nearly full and as it's not due to be emptied until Wednesday I'm not bothering to put anymore stuff in it, other than kitchen waste, which won't be that much between now and Wednesday.

As I mentioned yesterday, we had Charlie, Evie and Max round for tea and as it was decided that we were having roast chicken, I had to go out and buy one. Once back home I used up a few of yesterday's brownie points and spent a couple of hours in the workshop doing some more work on the K class chassis I've been working on. I spent a bit of time correctly quartering the wheels and then gave the thing a run for about 30 minutes each way. Still needs a bit of tweaking but it's running quite well now.

This afternoon I managed to get myself some car insurance, first time I've had to buy that for over 27 years, I'll pick the car up in a couple of weeks time.

We too have bought white goods and electrical goods from John Lewis and have been very impressed with their service. As others have said, I've only ever found Curry's to be a waste of space.

Pete. Belated birthday greetings.

Phil. Happy birthday.

Goodnight all.

• Like 18

Good morning one and all

Yesterday was a bit of a PITA in my local Tesco.  Just as it was starting to get busy, at 8 am, one of the two checkouts in service was closed.  The shopper being processed had enough food to feed the army and to my dismay I was directed to the self-service checkouts.  I hate them!  Even with the assistance of a member of staff it took me twice as long to negotiate the process as it should have done.  Let’s just say that Customer Services are aware of my views.

There was a discussion on the radio in the afternoon about a statue of Margaret Thatcher.  It seems that my suggestion of a commemorative dartboard is not being taken forward.

I’m off to Nozzle for what promises to be a good do.  It is certainly a better idea than visiting a new home improvement store in MK and meeting Peppa Pig.  Felicitations to the ailing and distressed, with the possible exception of Tesco managers.

Chris

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, 5.5 hours solid sleep last night, no wake ups yippee!!!

Lots of sirens, ambulances and police cars when I was in the DIY shed collecting stuff. When I came to leave, traffic jams, luckily knowing the area well I was able to escape up back roads after a bit, but the jams caused many examples of cockwombleship.

The MRC had low numbers last night, one due to car failure, but the others I have no idea.

I 1/2 built 5 viaduct piers from the parts I cut last week, 2 more to start, them all to finish.

Plans for today, a few more barrow loads of soil/rubble to be moved between 8 and 10, take my parents out to a local fete for a couple of hours, maybe followed by a visit to a Riverside pub. Depending on time left, more soil rubble...

Time to... Inspect the eyelids for a bit more..

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Not sure if I can manage to do a backread, so as I did notice one or several of our number seem to be ailing while others had joyous moments to savour, C&Cs should certainly come first.

Hadn't slept that well the night before, so I needed to balance that. Not sure if it did work out as it's still fairly warm, in spite of a t-storm to discharge itself last night. The plan for today is obtaining some bits and bobs from the baby store, now that the date of birth is slowly moving closer! I think I didn't mention it before, so, last prediction is, shall we say, late August.

Enjoy your weekend, folks…

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Bluish sky at the moment and a mainly dry day with bright or sunny periods forecast. There may be the odd light shower.

Poor night's sleep had because of my back and it is  rather   very painful at the moment. Maybe jumping up and down watching the rugby shortly will sort it out. I really hope the Lions can do it but they will have to play like never before to beat NZ. What with watching that, the cricket, cycling and F1 qualifying I won't be moving far from the TV today.  This will no doubt upset the domestic authorities.

Hey ho, never mind.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a warm but rather wet and windy Charente Maritime, with light and sound show being provided from above. At least the rain my give the pool a top up with unmetered water.

As a result of the rain an indoors day has been declared by the domestic authorities. I've got to take a car load of cardboard to the tip first. If it fines up we will have another go at getting the satellite dish pointed in the right direction. I suspect that I will fitting a replacement socket and switch in the kitchen.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning from a warm Surrey. Cooler than the night b forthe but still very humid. Did get to sleep around midnight and awoke after 5 am so one of my better nights sleep.

Today we ar off to Oakham for a visit to Grianstor Brewey then Leicester. No surprises that the Brighton line services are delayed this time due to a trespass or incident so we managed to catch an earlier but delayed a Thameslink. However we have now been stopping at each signal near South Croydon station. Fingers crossed that we make our booked train off KX.

Edit

Trespass at Moulescombe so not sure how that's affecting Thameslink!

Edited by roundhouse

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most from a sunny North West Leeds highlands.

Enjoy Gnossal Chris. I would have liked to attend but it's a Saturday in summer...I have other matters to attend to in the Cricket umpiring department on Saturdays.

We are still missing a good number of ERs at the moment. I hope that all is well with them.

Have a great day/evening/night wherever you all are.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Overcast but clearing here.

I will watch the cricket today, I don't think I could cope with anything more strenuous!

Matthew rang last night. His plan is to finish and submit his thesis and come home. He has paid rent until then end of August and had planned to travel a bit based from the Netherlands but said it would be easier and cheaper to do it from the UK.

Tony

Morning all. A far more comfortable nights sleep which hasn't done me any good. I've now spent far too long in bed and as a result my back is giving me grief,

A day of washing, ironing and keeping up to date with all the sport going on. I may even manage to get a bit of modelling done.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 2