The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Off grid a bit, so congrats and commiserations where appropriate, it seems Tony is improving and Jemma is a star! Well done!

I have managed to get a stinking cold, together with hay fever, so paper tissue shares are on the up.  How can one head make so much snot?

Currently on the costa del Sheppey, at a friend's campsite.  Great sunsets over the Swale, the industrial horizon is OK in my book, the campsite is a sea of colour and tranquillity you would never expect here.

Might try to upload some photos.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening

Hopefully journey home will go better than his mornings.

We use a bus app to decide whether to walk or if bus is on time catch it into town. However this morning the app wasnt working so we decided to walk but we were late leaving home which meant that we couldn't stand near where the Thameslink doors stop due to the number of people already waiting. At the moment with no Southern LBG trains in the morning peak if you don't get a seat then you will be standing for over forty minutes and wedged in.

So we got on the earlier Vic train stood to East Croydon and just managed to squeeze onto an LBG service and stand but at least it's less time standing. However I could have done with a shower when I got to work as the air con doesn't cope well with very crowded trains in the current hot weather.

Train wedged again this evening but at least we get to the platform as it arrives.

No sign of the overtime ban by drivers ending but at least we only have six more days of this for a while.

Still debating packing it all in but we shall see. Need more than another lotto lucky dip win but at least it gives me another chance.

Might have a few beers when we get off to the train before heading home.

A productive day working from home with a lot of reports completed and several meetings organised with the possibility of more work. The client visit this morning went well even if I did get stuck behind the slowest skip lorry driver in the world for 4 miles.

Tony - Good to hear that you are well down the road to recovery.

Ian A - Congratulations to Jemma.

Back later

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Happy BIN day :) - except it isn't here since the 4th holiday messes up the schedule.

Having dragged the BIN to the kerb and returned indoors, was reminder of that fact and that the BIN won't be serviced until tomorrow, oh well.

Yesterday uneventful working away as usual.

Jemma returned from her three day trip yesterday evening, and is now a line qualified Captain;

attachicon.gifJemma-CPT-2.jpg

23 and sunny already first thing, heading for 33 and steamy again, not the nicest of weather to want to do anything but be in air conditioning <sigh>...

Enjoy the day

Congratulations to Jemma.

• RMweb Premium

Evening All

Two days worth of back reading but I've managed to catch up.

Commiserations to the ailing, felicitations to the celebrating, and a big WELL DONE to Captain Jemma - I always like to hear a lady Captain on the PA on a plane, and luckily, they are becoming less and less rare these days.  I also have always enjoyed flying gliders with a lady P1 - again previously a rarer event that it should have been.

Now then, we needed four metres of voile net for the back room, and I went to the local curtain shop where I have always got it for years and years.  To be told that it was now only available to special order, and would cost £54 (£13.50 a metre) with five working days delivery.  So Amazon is your friend, and I found some at £2.77 a metre with free 48 hour delivery.  And they wonder why the HIgh Street stores are failing.  I do wonder whether the "special order" involved going to Amazon and ordering some, then pricing it up?

Back tomorrow, but Lily is due her innoculations and health check tomorrow - no more nasty big bill, as our vet operates a healthy pet club which gets all the jabs done, provides a year's wormers, a years flea treatment, and also special offers on purchases, as well as 10% off the cost of any consults with vet or nurse - all for £17 a month - with the jabs at the proce they are and ditto the medications, it is a bargain, and I would encourage and pet owner to enquire of their vet whether the offer this facility.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I did plan to go down and watch the test match. I didn't as I wasn't sure how comfortable I would be. We don't have a Sky multiroom system. However I recalled something about watching Sky on mobile devices and soon had the cricket displaying on this tablet.

The thunder that has been in other parts of the eastern side of the country hasn't appeared here. Perhaps late tonight. When we were in Switzerland people kept asking had we been disturbed by the overnight thunder and lightning. We hadn't noticed any.

Tonight will be cottage pie for dinner. My appetite is returning!

Tony

• Like 19

• RMweb Gold

I hope it's back to 30 mA now. 100 mA can be lethal.

EDIT: There's something a bit fishy about the fact that the trees were causing the master RCDs in the homes to trip. Sounds like there might have been  something wrong/inadequate with the earthing/neutral. Whatever it was it was probably fixed when they buried the cable.

Yes, it vanished when the cable was buried and the master is now back to 30mA.

These days you'd blame it on Brexit :angel: .

• RMweb Gold

Bad luck Neil picking up a cold on holiday.

I seem to have picked up a cold too. A friend phoned the other day and his voice sounded very ropey, he had a heavy cold. Soon after that phone call I came down with cold too. How does that work?

• RMweb Gold

There is good news and bad news.

Good news:

Today I've watched some cycling and cricket and I've downed a couple of pints of Speckled Hen.

After that I cooked a tortilla of sorts which went down very well along with some nice Shiraz.

More Speckled Hen is ready to consume.

Bad news:

It's so bloody hot I appear to have melted.

post-5890-0-37091200-1499366522_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations Jemma on attaining your captaincy and glad to hear that Tony is getting better. Had a visit from my brother last night, he announced that at the age of 70 he is taking up a new hobby, railway modelling! He proudly showed off his oval of Setrack, well we all have to start somewhere but knowing my brother it won't progress much further than a 'train set' straight out of the boxes but at least if it makes him happy. In fact I know of some railway modellers who are happy to do exactly the same thing, including some on RMweb.

• Like 15

Bad luck Neil picking up a cold on holiday.

I seem to have picked up a cold too. A friend phoned the other day and his voice sounded very ropey, he had a heavy cold. Soon after that phone call I came down with cold too. How does that work?

Hm... A friend, you say? So you weren't a victim of cold calling...

• RMweb Premium

Evening Awl,

Well I left work not happy, much of the work I did today carpped out, I'm getting further behind.

Then i left the building incurring the wrath of Thor, it was bucketing down faster than the drains could clear it. I got thoroughly drenched in a 30 yard dash for cover at tescos, and pulled a muscle making the dash.

I got home to find they've had six hours of thunder and lightening but practically no rain. Ben the Border Collie was not a happy doggy....

I've now just had a phone call from the husband of a lady who I used to sail very successfully with, she's had a fall getting into bed and broke her femur requiring it to be bolted back together. The ambulance took 4 hours to turn up...... He also says, she's getting dementia. She gave up sailing at the age of 75 to look after him because he has MS, which had just put him in a wheel chair. Luckily they have a full time carer.

Sadly with my parents here and other commitments it'll be difficult to see them, the hospital is 30 miles away the wrong side of the city and their home another 20 the other side of that.

The only good thing today is Ben the Border Collie is turning out to be a lovely dog.

When I go up stairs to work on the computer, he sits At the bottom of the stairs where he can see where either of us go.

When I go to bed he follows me up, accepts a pat on the head, checks i get into bed , then goes back to his own bed next to SWMBOs armchair. When she come up he does the same.

His built in clock is already telling him when I'm due home, or when it's time to leave my parents in the mobile home to come back down to the house. considering we've only had him a week he's learning very quickly..

I hope you all out there and me have a better day Tomorrow..

• Like 1