The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

I'm lucky - I never post on threads like that because just like Manuel in Fawlty Towers "I know nothing!"

Before you ask this time it was you who said it.  :sarcastichand:  :jester:

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Oh dear I turn my back to deal with a (very) recalcitrant buddleia and miss the event of the day with Debs and her Passepartout doing the deed and getting wed - slightly belated congratulations to you both.

On another - very different - matter I'm not so sure about getting tree roots out with a  back hoe.  I tackled a small apple tree with the back hoe on a 1.5 ton tracked digger and it was quite a battle - you definitely need plenty of weight at the hoe end of the machine to hold it down as you try to pull the stump away from the roots but it does depend on the type of tree (laburnum is dead easy, even with a light machine).  My uncle used to pull tree roots with one of his JCB 3s and some could prove a real challenge but he knew a chap who professed to have an Explosives Licence (and who definitely had the explosives) and that turned out to be an excellent way to remove large roots and tree stumps.

Today's main adventure will consist of taking the Good Doctor off to Reading this afternoon for an MRI scan of her shoulder, the ultrasound scan of a few weeks ago has shown tendon damage according to the GP but presumably the consultant wants even more information - current conclusions as that it's probably down to a rugby injury and hopefully physio will eventually sort it.

Have a good day one and all and keep taking the meds Tony 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all and a sunny start is turning to light cloud. 

Today's major task was to get a hair cut. Now back at my desk and preparing to stun people with a few powerpoints next week at interview. 

I say "stun" but I probably mean a full kill through boredom is more likely. 

Woke up with a headache which various aspirin and ibuprofen have not sorted out. 

An egg sandwich is awaiting my attention - smells like devils donuts. I'm not sure why I chose to make it, tbh. 

I'm having trouble with a neighbour's piles*.

* Go on, you know you want to. :jester:

In fact 2 days of ramming piles into the soil is planned.

As a counter-measure I've indicated that for every pile there will be a pint that is bought for me.  

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Had a phone call from Matthew. All is well academically but he needed to vent his ire. He has shared kitchen and bathroom facilities where he lives. One of the other students , a geneticist who according to Matthew is ****ing unhygienic. He never cleans up after food preparation, leaves spilt food on the floor and now Matthew (He knows his rodents) has found mouse droppings in his own room where he doesn't keep food. He said while he was in Rotterdam no one did any cleaning or emptying of rubbish. Matthew is going to have a chat with the landlord who is likely to be sympathetic and do something about the rodent. He has tried to explain to his tenants about cleaning and hygiene but perhaps needs to send them a bill for pest control.

Edited by Tony_S

Just had a look at that thread. I haven't gone back to the beginning. Has anyone posted their qualifications yet? I hope none of them were ex students of mine. I thought I taught the electricity bit of the physics syllabus quite well.

I particularly enjoyed the "correct equipment" comment. I was tempted to respond with "you can keep my equipment out of this" but I thought it might lower the tone a bit too much.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

E‘ning all. Didn’t manage to find any time yesterday due to having been invited to our stock technology workgroup which this session has reaffirmed me to be interested in joining.

I came away with the impression that the others would be happy to have a second rep for Paunsdorf Depot aboard, though I expect they’d like me to attend one or two more conferences before making a decision. In any case, I also found it reassuring to see that there are experienced people working behind the scenes to ensure that our trams and buses continue to evolve and remain workable, and are properly maintained.

I posted it on Debs‘ FB page earlier, but just to reiterate, very best wishes to our newlyweds! You certainly have been through a lot, so it has definitely been time for some more positive news...

Anyhoo, I’ll be cooking us pasta alla carbonara for dinner. We’re both getting hungry, so I might just start soon...

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

This morning I went straight outside to make some sort of start on the garden, especially seeing as I'd made a start on the plans for the new garden yesterday. As we were having lunch, it started to rain and I'd left out all the tools I'd been using. So as soon as I'd finished eating it was outside to clean and put away said tools and lock up for the day.

This morning I got a letter from 'The Christie' informing me that I will now be going to yearly blood tests and follow ups, so it confirms that they are not unduly worried with my resent test results.

We all now that the 4th July is American Independence Day, but it also marks the 5th anniversary of my first chemo session, jeeezzz, where did that go?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Blithering rain! Pah!

But a nice Curry to warm us up at the end of the first innings. There was no second innings due to it chuckinitdarn.

Baz

• RMweb Gold

Blithering rain! Pah!

But a nice Curry to warm us up at the end of the first innings. There was no second innings due to it chuckinitdarn.

Baz

Curry in Harrogate?

I would have expected at least cucumber sandwiches, with the crusts cut off.

And cakes from Betty's to follow.

• RMweb Gold

Well my day has been well and truly made because not only did Gem & Joe arrive but so did Abbie. She's not been coming round after school this year as she's been busy revising and taking A-levels but she's now finished all her exams and left school. Can't believe that my first little granddaughter has turned out to be the beautiful young woman that she now is. She's off on holiday abroad with her boyfriend on Saturday and after that will be job hunting in earnest although she has already made a start and has a couple of interviews lined up.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Plenty of sunshine here in Surrey this afternoon

As indeed here has been all day at the Hill of Strawberries despite the Met Office texting a "Yellow Warning of rain" during morning coffee. Currently this is also the Hill of Tomatoes as the crop is ripening nicely.

Quiet day preparing for our container delivery. Until an hour ago when I received word that Australian neighbour (now in The Never Lands near Hamster Jam) was concerned her daughter (20) had not returned punctually from her final exam. Daughter's train has been involved in an incident - apparently a suicide - with a person with daughter delayed by three hours and unavoidably sat in full view of the aftermath for most of that time.

Support has been offered as regretably I have more than enough experience in this field. Daughter and family have my secret number - the one I will answer 24/7 unless circumstances prevent it - with advice to call and talk any time now or in the future. Daughter says the noise was the worst thing. I'm afraid these things often leave a lifelong scar. Trauma manifests in untild ways at unbidden times. For what it's worth at least she was on the way home from the final exam and doesn't have to make that journey again for some time.

Off to mother's tomorrow. Sister advises we have a trip arranged to the crematorium to discuss ashes and memorials. Such things must perforce be done.

Best wishes to all.

• RMweb Gold

Congratulations Andy.

That must be a weight off your mind, for a few months at least.

You can enjoy your summer break now.

Edited by BoD

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations Andy, I hope you will be happy in your new job. Rick, I hope your friends daughter isn't too badly affected by what she's seen, time will tell of course. They still have a few of those triple voltage cool boxes in Tesco's so I grabbed one while I could. It will come in handy as I need to defrost the fridge freezer sooner rather than later.

• Like 12

A far shorter day with a lot accomplished. Unfortunately, when I got back to the hotel I ended up with an extended eyelid inspection. Another day to go before heading home tomorrow.

Andy - It seems that although the dream job may have not materialised, things are definitely looking up. Congratulations.

A few more threads to catch up on over another coffee.

Back later.

• Like 6