The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I once watched a world cup match (England v Denmark) in a bar near Cannes with a crowd of Danish supporters, kick off was about 09.00 and it would have been ride to refuse a beer. England won 3 nil and the Danes ended up cheering for England with us. My (wooden) truncheon served me well on the two occasions I had to use it to defend myself. Both times I was outnumbered and both times I came out on top. Though a rather naïve cousin of mine who came round the corner on the second time was somewhat surprised to see me standing there in the snow with three youths with blood on them at my feet and the remains of a tattered cape around my neck. I dread to think what stories he had to tell to some of my more sensitive aunts.Jamie

We had a massive bundle in Union Street, Plymouth, .........British, Dutch and American Marines v The rest of the world.

Police van overturned, three pubs trashed, bodies and broken glass everywhere......

Orders are......truncheons out and staff any barsteward within reach.

A cross between Captain Hurricane and the Terminator comes running towards me, my life flashes before my eyes...

I drew the staff back fast and hard ready to strike......as I did I heard a dink and a thud........

Spinning round I see a copper off of the section spinning about because as I drew the staff back I 'clipped' him over the swede!

He was known as Swoop after that!

The Yank was dealt with by a member of the RN Shore patrol who turned out to be the geezer who carries the barrel on the field gun....his part trick was holding two full barrels of beer at arms length, monster of a man!

Edited by BlackRat
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

We had a massive bundle in Union Street, Plymouth, .........British, Dutch and American Marines v The rest of the world.

Police van overturned, three pubs trashed, bodies and broken glass everywhere......

Orders are......truncheons out and staff any barsteward within reach.

A cross between Captain Hurricane and the Terminator comes running towards me, my life flashes before my eyes...

I drew the staff back fast and hard ready to strike......as I did I heard a dink and a thud........

Spinning round I see a copper off of the section spinning about because as I drew the staff back I 'clipped' him over the swede!

He was known as Swoop after that!

The Yank was dealt with by a member of the RN Shore patrol who turned out to be the geezer who carries the barrel on the field gun....his part trick was holding two full barrels of beer at arms length, monster of a man!

Yes they were good things to use though the first time I ever drew it was quite funny. 05.30 on a deserted industrial estate in winter we were at the scene of a ram raid on an electronics warehouse. As the sprog I was sent round the back. No radios that worked (1974) and I heard some noises behind a fire door. I'd only been out of training school a week and feared t=for the worst so drew my staff and held it ready to strike. The door opened and the burglar looked round and promptly fainted. I stood over him and his first words as he came round were "It's a fair cop guv I'll come quietly". When I submitted the file for my first burglary arrest the old Leeds City DI (We'd just amalgamated) returned it with the comment, "Couldn't you think up a more original reply". For some obscure reason I can still remember his name Francis Joseph Michael *******.

Jamie

• Like 19

A very successful day with everything signed off. No more trips to Watford (for now).

I did manage to finish early and an extended eyelid inspection was carried out and passed.

AndyRam - I really hope that a suitable position comes your way rather than having to take a temporary post.

Mal - Great news that your mother is home.

Some paperwork to complete tonight before a wander around the world of RMweb

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Though a rather naïve cousin of mine who came round the corner on the second time was somewhat surprised to see me standing there in the snow with three youths with blood on them at my feet and the remains of a tattered cape around my neck. I dread to think what stories he had to tell to some of my more sensitive aunts.Jamie

Tattered cape?

So you were the Bruce Wayne of the Pennines!

Those damn Frenchies had better watch out when le homme chauve souris is out on the prowl.

Is your cousin named Robin by any chance?

The location is half-way between Fargo and Grand Forks in northern Minnesota, sparsely populated farm country, ripe for "oooh, let's go do something stupid" apparently. :O  :jester:

I was going to say that worse things happen in Fargo - but fear I’m mixing some kind of moving picture with reality....

I wish I could find on YouTube the movie of some dude from Jersey standing with his legs apart over a rather large bottle rocket as it was ignited. Some wag commented that he was testing colonoscopies for NASA.....

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

I posted the following in the "Things that make you :)" thread.

This video I saw today "The Simple Joys of the Dull Men's Club" made me smile. Actually it made me laugh out loud and I'm still smiling.

I found several kindred spirits within.

Kudos to "The Lord of the Rings" reference. I didn't see that coming.

Somehow I think I belong even if model railways and LEGO are not so delightfully quirky as milk bottles or village pumps.
  • Like 9

.... his first words as he came round were "It's a fair cop guv I'll come quietly". When I submitted the file for my first burglary arrest the old Leeds City DI (We'd just amalgamated) returned it with the comment, "Couldn't you think up a more original reply".....

You may have come across Sgt. Alfie Moore's stand-up show "It's a Fair Cop" which has just finished its third season on Radio 4. Coming from Humberside Constabulary, he never misses a chance to have a go at the Met.

• RMweb Gold

The Facebook version of the Warwickshire Railways website (highly recommended resource) has had some photos of shunting without locos.

One of them has a horse on it. Now when I was a child such an animal would probably have been referred to as a Dobbin. However I would probably have then said carthorse. Are such horses generic varieties or are they a specific type?

Link here.

http://www.warwickshirerailways.com/lms/lnwrrm908.htm

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

You may have come across Sgt. Alfie Moore's stand-up show "It's a Fair Cop" which has just finished its third season on Radio 4. Coming from Humberside Constabulary, he never misses a chance to have a go at the Met.

No I'll have to look out for that when I get back to the UK.

Thanks

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well today has been a very loooooong day, as usual not a lot of real substance to the meeting, but at least the butty was good. I finally managed to get out of the orifice at about 3:00, when I got home I was just in time for a brew, as Sheila had just put the kettle on, she said, I see you've not list your touch then.

Goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Toronto Transit has a definition of "On Time" that is apparently anywhere between 5 minutes early and 5 minutes late. Some of the streetcar lines have headways of 4 or 5 minutes, so you can see a pack of 3 cars travelling together, all technically "on time".

Morning all. Yet another bad nights sleep for some reason so I'm not looking forward to today.

Ilford for a change today to finish off a job so POETS might not happen.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning one and all

Poorly Pal and I attended an enjoyable talk last night, by David Mitchell on the Talyllyn Railway.  This was most welcome after a day of mixed fortunes in the m*d*ll*ing shed.  We both enjoyed our lunch of king prawns with a bold selection of stir-fried vegetables and Szechuan sauce.  This morning I need to unload the car before taking it on the fodder run.  At the moment it is partly across Mrs Electric-Chair's gateway but by the time I head for and return from the mega-grocer there should be a better space left by some poor devil who is still working.  I ought to do some laundry today too.  How nice.

In my inbox this morning was an invitation from the Commuters Association to respond to a consultation on the proposed Thameslink timetable.  I am sorely tempted but they will not appreciate a mere civilian telling them that there are too many prongs south of the river and nowhere to put a train that presents out of course.  It is always easier to do someone else's job than your own.

With that happy thought, felicitations to the ailing and distressed.  This may or may not include Thameslink travellers ...

Chris 

• Like 16

Morning All,

We have broken cloud this morning - around 6-7 Oktas, but with a little bit of blue sky in places.  The rain has now stopped.

Yesterday afternoon the central heating was serviced, and apart from a new gasket everything was fine.

Time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning ERs (and lurkers)!

Herself has had her car MoTd and is set to continue to cause havoc on the roads of Leeds.

I met with my ex colleague from Barrow. He went off to the Leeds v Saints game..I came home and watched it on the TV. Great game of Rugby League.

Moreasons to be visited and a trip to the model railway club perhaps?

Have a great day and positive thoughts for all with ailments.

Baz

• Like 18