The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Best place for food on the bar at Sunday lunchtimes was the Lounge of the Plough in Kenton... but you didn't go in the bar unless invited...lots of interesting people in their with their weapons of choice..

They would have all lasted 5 minutes in a bar in West Hartlepool near the docks.

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Puzzling news indeed. Every airline/airport I've worked for uses 14 min 59sec as the on time performance indicator, and that's how the CAA compiles airline and airport data, so whom ever is using an hour, hasn't rtfm.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Thought for the day.

Do you think that Sarah Keith-Lucas and Lucy Worsley look alike?

Alright, who was looking at Breakfast TV in bed.

Bill

err No... :no:

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Overslept again this morning, I did wake up at about 6, decided that was too early and then didn't wake up again until 08:15. Interesting item Tony posted on Facebook about 'Fatbergs' being turned into biofuel and while I'm here hope your a lot better Tony.

Is this photo from the UK?

attachicon.giftumblr_orlb0aOA7v1rjz8tjo1_540.jpg

I know who the golfer is - I just didn’t recognize the “19th Hole”.

Best, Pete.

Is the lady in green saying to the lady in white. "Don't worry dear whe'll find you a new golf ball." or "It might not be the right ball you played, but the left one will do just as well." :jester:

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 5

In the 42 years I've legally inhabited bars, I've yet to see any free food including peanuts on a bar.

I think that practice may have stopped after the results of the urine sample tests became known....

Puzzling news on TV from Gatwick.

Apparently, if a flight leaves within one hour of the stated time, it is deemed "by the Industry Standard" to be on time.

Gatwick say that their average delay is 12 minutes (ie 72 minutes late for those of us hard of understanding).....

Given that Gatwick lies within the service (sic) territory of Southern Fail, is this a surprise?

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Ah, airline punctuality statistics - the ultimate jungle which make the rail industry look like saints in shining armour.  The CAA information helps show where it all goes rather byzantine  - the planned time of operation relates to the time arriving at or leaving the stand but the actual time of operation relates to the time the wheels land on or take off from the runway and there is standard allowance incorporated in the figures for assessed taxi time between stand and runway or vice versa.  At LGW the allowance (2009 reassessment)  for an arrival is 10 minutes and it is 17 minutes for a departure - therefore on that basis if a flight takes off 17 minutes late it would be recorded as punctual (booked time off the stand + 17 minutes taxiing allowance).  If the flight shows as 12 minutes late then it should, on the same basis actually have taken off 29 minutes after it was booked to depart the stand.  At LHR the departure taxiing allowance is 25 minutes irrespective of the terminal used.

Prior to 2008 early departures were counted against lates to produce an average but the system changed in that year to counting earlies as being on time making the overall figures more realistic - but at LGW that would still mean the flight taking off 17 minutes after its planned departure time off the stand would be counted as 'punctual'.  All of which goes to explain how a flight I travelled on from LHR to Paris CDG back in 1994 arrived at CDG, on the stand, nearly 45 minutes early - in fact I was at Gare du Nord before the flight was officially due to arrive at CDG.  Reason - a B757 with no more than a couple of dozen passengers, off the stand at LHR a good 10 minutes early, straight to the runway with no queueing, short flight time thanks - probably to the light load - and straight to the stand after landing at CDG.

Ah well back to earth - it's faux Friday so if a Waitrose visit materialises (once the management has made her decision on what shopping is needed) it will definitely be to the trainspotting branch as any chance of parking nearer to the local one than our front gate can be forgotten this week.  Possibly a brief incursion at Tesco as I have a prescription and I can in any case take an alternative route around the worst of the inward bound traffic, I hope, on the way home.  Main shopping at Tesco will however take place on Saturday or later as the 'Privilege' discount is being increased to 20% for, probably, a week from late on Friday and also next week there might well be the usual post-Regatta price reductions on various alcoholic beverages (not that I consume much of that nowadays).

Enjoy your day and good to hear that Rick's getting more mobile and that Tony is making progress.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I managed to complete the "unboxing" of our new camera and insert the memory card and battery. It is charging now. I will obtain a couple of extra leads as it seems to have a type of usb connector (type D) not otherwise present in this household. I think that is enough use of brain today. Setting the clock can wait until tomorrow.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 17

Don't touch tea.

In 1976 or thereabouts, I was sent as part of a "Civilian working party" by Hawker Siddeley to a certain R.A.F. station to fit mods on certain aircrafts. (Do not look to the left at my avatar!) 

After a month or so we moved out of our hotel in Bury St. Edmunds and onto camp. We were told we should not drink the tea or coffee in the Airman's mess as there were concerns about what was being added to it!  :no:

Edited by Judge Dread
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

In 1976 or thereabouts, I was sent as part of a "Civilian working party" by Hawker Siddeley to a certain R.A.F. station to fit mods on certain aircrafts. (Do not look to the left at my avatar!) 

After a month or so we moved out of our hotel in Bury St. Edmunds and onto camp. We were told we should not drink the tea or coffee in the Airman's mess as there were concerns about what was being added to it!  :no:

Ah the Buccaneers at Honington of 12, XV, 208 and 216 Squadrons, possibly :no:

The old wives tales of bromide in the tea were wrong in the 40's let alone the 1970s

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Ah the Buccaneers at Honington of 12, XV, 208 and 216 Squadrons, possibly :no:

The old wives tales of bromide in the tea were wrong in the 40's let alone the 1970s

It was also alleged to be in the tea at Police Basic Training Centres. I couldn't possibly comment.

Jamie

Puzzling news indeed. Every airline/airport I've worked for uses 14 min 59sec as the on time performance indicator, and that's how the CAA compiles airline and airport data, so whom ever is using an hour, hasn't rtfm.

Agreed!

I think Mike already described in detail, but to add, at least in the US, and far as I know (happy to be corrected) the FAA standards are from what is a worldwide standard;

Airline departures are recorded as when the doors close/are secured, and "on time" is up to 15 minutes after scheduled departure - anyone reporting anything else is just fooling themselves (and the gullible public!) . :jester:

Every commercial pilot (here) knows that, and that's what they record/log, as they are also PAID flight time/hours based on departure time (doors locked) to arrival at gate time (doors unlocked - only happens when at gate, chocked). They strive to get that metric, providing for the obvious safety of the flight etc.

The "flight time" reported by various agencies and the flight crew/cabin crew in announcements to pax, is from wheels up, to wheels down/on ground.

That's why pax are confused especially on my frequent trips to JFK when they hear the "flight time" will be 2 hours and change, often 2hrs 20-30+ minutes, BUT the schedule shows 3+ hours. The flustercuck that IS JFK, is accounted for in the scheduled time(s) published by airlines for the flight.

Morning folks - BIN day, but I'm not home to have the dubious pleasure of wheeling said BINs to the kerb, leave that to the Mrs today :O

Nothing much to report from the client orifice yesterday, work continues (well MAYBE, hard to know as it's not FIXED!!) on the a/c, though they DID fix the water in the mens room.

Jemma, working through her three day trip for her Captain OE hours, ended up finishing early yesterday and NOT taking a turn from LA to San Jose, CA, as their first leg inbound to LA was delayed an HOUR, so a reserve crew took the flights to avoid THEM also being delayed.

Her main/usual complain operating into/out of LA is that pretty much ALL flights suffer fairly long delays, borne out by checking said flights on flightaware.com and discovering the "normal delay times" showed 40-60 minutes for all her flight there this week! Another reason she didn't want to bid/get based in LA :nono:

Looking forward to POE and heading to <groan> JFK to return home in a mere 6 hours <yay>!!

20 driving in under partly cloudy skies, 27 expected high here, a couple of degrees cooler at home.

Tally ho...

• Like 1

It was also alleged to be in the tea at Police Basic Training Centres. I couldn't possibly comment.Jamie

Aahhhhhh training college...........I must admit, my truncheon was always firm to the grip, and made a lovely 'wood' sound when it descended on someone's bonce. ( I was parterned against an ex Para for self defence).

I did once have to see the college Matron, as my Farmers were playing up........all, that time in Norway.

On completion of said inspection I said a cheery good morning to Matron.

From my position no, was the laconic reply and no mention of truncheons was made at all!

Edited by BlackRat

• RMweb Gold

Well I deviated from the shopping list and added Old Speckled Hen (on offer), crisps, nuts and one or two other delights. I am still alive although there was some muttering through pursed lips. 1-0 to me I think.  :yes:

I accept the fact that she may (try to) exact retribution at a later date. :girldevil:

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Well I deviated from the shopping list and added Old Speckled Hen (on offer), crisps, nuts and one or two other delights. I am still alive although there was some muttering through pursed lips. 1-0 to me I think.  :yes:

I accept the fact that she may (try to) exact retribution at a later date. :girldevil:

I enjoy a bottle or two of ale when watching a rugby match but I baulk at the thought of it at 8:30 in the morning as we have had of late.

• Like 2

Best place for food on the bar at Sunday lunchtimes was the Lounge of the Plough in Kenton... but you didn't go in the bar unless invited...lots of interesting people in their with their weapons of choice..

They would have all lasted 5 minutes in a bar in West Hartlepool near the docks.

Baz

“The Queen” in Aldershot was interesting, though I do not remember bar food, the breakfasts were great. Long time ago now  but on a Pistol Course nearby I handcuffed my .45ACP (in two pieces) to the radiator in my room but most didn’t bother and “carried concealed”. The staff were used to such things.

I just looked it up online and the Management is pushing it as having a “Hip vibe” and “chic” bedrooms - sounds revolting...

Best, Pete.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

A'noon all. It's raining, men and women! :jester:

Currently on my break and was reading about a tram accident in Berlin: http://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berlin/polizei/prenzlauer-berg-27-verletzte-bei-zusammenstoss-zweier-strassenbahnen-27881462

Could either have been a falsely set point or some object which caused a derailment on either tram involved. Jeezuz.

Best wishes to everyone...

Oh dear! I fear I should at least post SOMETHING to somehow reassure ERs that I do NOT live in some backwards archaic state riddled with incompetent inbred hillbillies...

Seems we have a Darwin Awards winner from my home state as a result of a "stunt" yesterday.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/teen-youtuber-shoots-kills-boyfriend-video-stunt-n777851

I always feel I have plenty of compassion for people in general and am saddened when a life is unnecessarily lost, BUT, in this case a couple of things are abundantly clear;

You've got to somehow have truly lost the plot or be REALLY missing some fundamental common sense if you're 19 with a 3-year old already and expecting a SECOND child, AND you decide using one of the  most powerful hand guns available, you're going to become a youtube "star" by shooting your boyfriend/father of your children from close range - the article says "close range" at about a foot away, I'd consider that more like point blank!! anyway, I digress - through a BOOK, then are surprised that he's dead! :O

Who KNEW... I guess police and others wear protective gear just for fun, strapping a few books on would be cheaper?!?!?!

Maybe some doctor/surgeon will eventually find the ability to diagnose stupid, and develop a stupid-ectomy to help prevent this sort of insanity.

The location is half-way between Fargo and Grand Forks in northern Minnesota, sparsely populated farm country, ripe for "oooh, let's go do something stupid" apparently. :O  :jester:

This showed up on the news today, prompting another face-palm of incredulity that anyone would even THINK for a moment of trying something this daft!

Edited by Ian Abel

.....Maybe some doctor/surgeon will eventually find the ability to diagnose stupid, and develop a stupid-ectomy to help prevent this sort of insanity.....

I wouldn't bet on it.

"Darwin" incidents, in their own small way, help keep the population numbers manageable.

• RMweb Premium

Just switch to a different time zone if it makes you feel better.

I once watched a world cup match (England v Denmark) in a bar near Cannes with a crowd of Danish supporters, kick off was about 09.00 and it would have been ride to refuse a beer. England won 3 nil and the Danes ended up cheering for England with us.

Aahhhhhh training college...........I must admit, my truncheon was always firm to the grip, and made a lovely 'wood' sound when it descended on someone's bonce. ( I was parterned against an ex Para for self defence).

I did once have to see the college Matron, as my Farmers were playing up........all, that time in Norway.

On completion of said inspection I said a cheery good morning to Matron.

From my position no, was the laconic reply and no mention of truncheons was made at all!

My (wooden) truncheon served me well on the two occasions I had to use it to defend myself. Both times I was outnumbered and both times I came out on top. Though a rather naïve cousin of mine who came round the corner on the second time was somewhat surprised to see me standing there in the snow with three youths with blood on them at my feet and the remains of a tattered cape around my neck. I dread to think what stories he had to tell to some of my more sensitive aunts.

Jamie

• Like 11

I wouldn't bet on it.

"Darwin" incidents, in their own small way, help keep the population numbers manageable.

Indeed, however in retrospect I may be wrong and this incident may not qualify as a Darwin Award contender, given the deceased has already managed to contribute two additions <sigh>

Whatever the outcome, the likelihood is the "state" will be on the hook to support the remaining family, including the obvious costs of jail time if she is sent down.

I doubt she has any useful/helpful family around, given she managed to have the first child whilst still legally a minor anyway, and there's no mention of parents anywhere.

I suppose she could plead stupidity (insanity) and get off?!?!?!

I remember that a while ago they tested bowls of peanuts that are often left on bars for drinkers to help themselves to. The results were quite horrific.

In the 42 years I've legally inhabited bars, I've yet to see any free food including peanuts on a bar.

While not ubiquitous, they can regularly be found on this side of the pond.

You are more likely to find a dish of bar snacks (like mixed nuts and dry spicy pretzelly things) in a hotel bar than anywhere else. 

A barrel of peanuts in their shell is different. There are always microscopic creepy crawlies on peanut shell husks, (they do come out of the dirt after all) but even after roasting the dust from the husks is going to attract such things. Having said that a barrel of peanuts that you shell yourself (a not uncommon presentation of peanuts) is much less unsanitary than say a bowl of bar snacks where you share the germs from everyone else at the bar's fingers.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 2

The reality is, they don't, and not in the least little bit.

Were we to stipulate that the notional "Darwin Award" is somehow survival of the fittest (which it isn't, 'survival of the fittest' in evolutionary terms means genetically best adapted, not biggest, strongest or smartest) and that intelligence is passed through heredity (for which there are plenty of counter proofs - as every parent 'knows') then even in this case, the offending couple reproduced.

Even in the great cataclysm of the second world war, with perhaps 60 million excess deaths (3% of the 1940 population), the world population grew during the war.

It takes inconceivable monstrosity, of the order of a Stalin or Mao, to actually dent population numbers. That or access to voluntary birth control.

Edited by Ozexpatriate