The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny but not too hot and rain forecast from tomorrow afternoon onwards, and at its heaviest (allegedly) when i have to go out on Wednesday morning).

The moving of  HMS QE should indeed by interesting and I have been wondering if the clearance estimate for the bridges has been based on full load - oops!  I've not heard of an internal RN names for this one but the sister carrier quickly became known to the lower deck as 'the Black Prince' however this soon transferred itself, as might be expected, into 'the Black Pearl'.  At which point an order was issued that the ship was not to be referred to in that way so the lower deck duly complied and the latest of their names for the ship is 'still' -which of course those with an understanding of such things will know actually means 'still (the Black Pearl)'.

Enjoy your day and please, please, let's cut out the blasted politickin' once and for all

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 11

A very apt post, Andy, which will make us all think. To save you reading back, I was the one who posted (153371) the link to Jeremy Corbyn visiting Glastonbury, mainly because I was impressed (as I thought people on here would be) that he'd travelled by train. Apparently, this was interpreted as being political by some contributors....

Peter Brookes, the satirical cartoonist, certainly was thinking along those lines, hence the cartoon I posted up. Thing is, he wasn't making fun of JC ('e's not the Messiah) at all, but rather having a go at the newly-installed minority Government.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all,

Bright and sunny but not too hot and rain forecast from tomorrow afternoon onwards, and at its heaviest (allegedly) when i have to go out on Wednesday morning).

The moving of  HMS QE should indeed by interesting and I have been wondering if the clearance estimate for the bridges has been based on full load - oops!  I've not heard of an internal RN names for this one but the sister carrier quickly became known to the lower deck as 'the Black Prince' however this soon transferred itself, as might be expected, into 'the Black Pearl'.  At which point an order was issued that the ship was not to be referred to in that way so the lower deck duly complied and the latest of their names for the ship is 'still' -which of course those with an understanding of such things will know actually means 'still (the Black Pearl)'.

Enjoy your day and please, please, let's cut out the blasted politickin' once and for all

Morning all,

NHN would know better than I, but I'm assuming it has ballast tanks to adjust for variable loads. 

Not the first of the services to use this idea (ignoring the fact that the RAF has been around for a little less time than their ship-borne comrades).

The RAF installed a bag of cement ballast in the front of their aircraft (e.g. Hunter) after guns were removed (or deemed unnecessary in the first place for other reasons).

• Like 10

Peter Brookes, the satirical cartoonist, certainly was thinking along those lines, hence the cartoon I posted up. Thing is, he wasn't making fun of JC ('e's not the Messiah) at all, but rather having a go at the newly-installed minority Government.

And like all clever cartoons, it was topical and amusing.

Edited by Ashcombe
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Marine Radar is showing the floating airport to be still in Rosyth.

John

It's not the first warship to be built upstream of a low bridge. HMS Monarch, an Orion Class super dreadnought of circa 1912) had to have a telescopic section of tripod mast to get under the Tyne bridges. I believe that once downstream the mast was raised to it's proper height and then riveted up. However I await a sight of QE2 with interest and look forward to seeing it at Portsmouth when we get back to Blighty.

Jamie

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Moanday has dawned. Nothing to see here. Move along please.

Another attempt at nocturnal eyelid inspection failed due to pain the the feet becoming jiggly leg syndrome. Network Fail's second night of doing stuff at the level crossing with intermittent loud noise hasn't helped.

A lightweight agenda today requires a round of domestic engineering and a trip to the postal orifice.

Currently the sun is shining and the lavendar is covered in bees. If HM Floating Airport happens past the end of the road you might see me on the news. She would have trouble getting under Richmond Bridge for sure!

Best wishes to all.

• RMweb Gold

I think we have just about cancelled everything to do with our long weekend in the Netherlands. The hotel staff were lovely but told us we would have cancel through booking.com as that was how we had made the booking. They told us what to do and hope to see us in the near future. Cancelling Robbie's kennel stay was easy too, and they hope to see him soon and wished me well.

Then there was Easyjet. I know the flights are not refundable but I thought if I confirmed no fly status someone else might get a flight for a weekend in Amsterdam. Their website is terrible. Aditi is negotiating with our travel insurers at the moment.

We have appointments to see the doctor this afternoon. Aditi went round to the surgery to try to get them to just give me a prescription. The receptionist said if we could wait until this afternoon we could have appointments to see our own GP. Living out in Darkest Essex does have benefits when accessing medical services.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Pity you're not coming this way Tony, but fully understandable under current conditions. :friends:

Matthew has suggested we try again late in July. Perhaps we will drive over for a change. He is attending a conference in Rotterdam later this week. He had been recommended to submit a paper and he has a lecture to deliver on Thursday. All the other presenters have at least PhDs. Well this is the life he wanted. I think he will be happier doing academic research than his original choice of a career in HRM.
  • Like 3

Sorry to hear about your woes Tony, hope you get some relief fast today...

Morning all - having taken up residence again on Long Island, I'm somewhat the worse for not enough sleep, got in just after 1AM.

This time "scheduled" as they have once again changed to departure time of the flight I take and it now doesn't' leave MSP until 8:15PM - scheduled into JFK at 00:16. The good news is that at that time we even managed to arrive 30 minutes EARLY, there's bugger all else AT JFK, so one is able to fairly briskly exit the terminal, acquire the rental car and drive unimpeded to the hotel! :jester:

Yesterday very quiet relaxing day before leaving, Jemma headed off to Los Angeles and starts the first 3-day trip of her "captain operational experience" today.

Quite cool (almost chilly) most all day only yesterday reaching 16 for the high.

Today on Long island still seemingly reasonable at 19 and sunny when struggled out of the hotel and expected to be only 26 for a high.

Let's get the week off to a decent start - he said amusingly, as I have about an hour or more yet before the majority of the people I deal with here arrive :O

• RMweb Gold

Some people spend their entire lives in academia. It takes a special talent.

Matthew has worked hard. We are so pleased he can start on an academic pathway. All those fraught parents evenings we had to attend where we were usually told we had "unreasonable" expectations of his ability.

Matthew was useless at sporty things but at least they appreciated that he was doing his best and were very supportive, So we always went and said hello. So different to the PE teachers when I was at school.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

It's moving at 0.3knt sideways. 

EDIT: And there's a rather grainy live video of it underway on the RN facebook page....

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 11

• RMweb Premium

It's moving at 0.3knt sideways. 

EDIT: And there's a rather grainy live video of it underway on the RN facebook page....

Up to 0.5 knots now and nearly through the lock gate.

Jamie

• Like 7

NHN would know better than I, but I'm assuming it has ballast tanks to adjust for variable loads. 

Not the first of the services to use this idea (ignoring the fact that the RAF has been around for a little less time than their ship-borne comrades).

The RAF installed a bag of cement ballast in the front of their aircraft (e.g. Hunter) after guns were removed (or deemed unnecessary in the first place for other reasons).

The infamous "Blue Circle" radar in the EE Lightning

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The infamous "Blue Circle" radar in the EE Lightning

and also as fitted to Tornado for a while.....

along with the woods metal in a large anti tank missile.. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

How did they ever manage to build Esso Northumbrian in Newcastle as no single shipyard is big enough to build all of the floating brick new aircraft carrier?

and i wouldn't trust the tugs.. seen them in action in Barrow with Astute.....they couldn't keep up.....

:jester:

baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Back from the doctors. Pneumonia both lungs. Aditi is now off collecting impressive antibiotic cocktail for me. Doctor said Aditi is well on road to recovery.

Tony

Back from the doctors. Pneumonia both lungs. Aditi is now off collecting impressive antibiotic cocktail for me. Doctor said Aditi is well on road to recovery.

Tony

Tony, I'm sure you don't need me/us to say it, but take VERY GOOD CARE of yourself with that crap, it can get nasty in a hurry...

Speedy recovery mate.

• RMweb Premium

How did they ever manage to build Esso Northumbrian in Newcastle as no single shipyard is big enough to build all of the floating brick new aircraft carrier?

and i wouldn't trust the tugs.. seen them in action in Barrow with Astute.....they couldn't keep up.....

:jester:

baz

Most likely a capacity issue.

Or more like a need to give all of the potential shipyards a slice of the action.