The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

ISTR that the workings of the old Glenburn pit stretched all the way under Prestwick and a mile or so under the sea.  My brother lives in Prestwick, and it was he who told me that, and as he somehow managed to get down that pit while it was still open, the source is pretty reliable.

Our house was on land off the East Road that was part of, or adjacent to, the original runway. Before we came out-west I worked in Glenburn House in an oak paneled office. I wish I had taken some photos - the building was demolished quite recently. As one local noted "tae build mair hooses"

Edited by AndyID

Morning all...barely, then again the advantage of a weekend for me is the ability to sleep in AND then have coffee in bed and read the newspaper, before deciding to get up!

Yesterday "reviewed" a few options for the living room entertainment center, Mrs now finalized on the 60" version of one seen in the store Thursday - duly ordered (not in store only the shorter one), and awaited with eager anticipation - at least THAT is done :)

Not much on the books for today, maybe therefore some modeling (probably spoke TOO SOON!!)., some laundry in anticipation of the trip to Long Island tomorrow...

Little brisk here at only 15 first thing, partly cloudy with 18 expected for the high.

Enjoy your weekend everyone.

• Like 12

Continuing an earlier theme building foundations wise our road is a geological mess and Building Inspector's nightmare - our foundations are the standard one metre deep in most places but over 2 metres deep, with plenty of rebar, in one corner plus a 'mat' of rebar across the entire oversite.  Next door in one direction the foundations are probably standard post-war 18 inches to a couple of feet, the other side (on tipped ground) the present house is on piles but the one before it wasn't and fell down.  3 doors down , beyond the one on shallow foundations,  the house sits on piles some of which go down 60 feet but the one next to that is on standard foundations about 2-3 feet deep at the most. Two doors up is on piles, mostly around 19 feet deep but the one next to it sits at the end adjacent to the piled one on foundations barely a foot deep although they're standard depth at the other end - it's been there over 60 years and hasn't moved.  But a further two doors up from that the extension to a bungalow sits on piled foundations although the original part of the building doesn't, and has never moved in over 80 years.

The house in CA was built on a "concrete raft". The raft was held together by honking great steel cables running at intervals across the width and along the length of the building. The ends of the cables had threaded terminators with nuts that were visible just above ground level.

I didn't see them do it but I assume they waited for the concrete to set then tightened the cables with a gigantic torque wrench - probably hydraulic. The cables terminate in the holes visible along the edge of the slab

post-25691-0-98859500-1498324170_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Once again I decided to go straight outside this morning and make a start on the garden. Despite the threat of rain at any minute, I made a start in the back garden, as the roses needed dead heading and there were a few weeds starting to sprout up in some of the planters. Next the drive's block paving had one or two weeds coming through, so they were dealt with next. I also clipped the box hedge I planted almost 2 year's ago. It's come on well and this is only the second time it's been clipped, but it is starting to get to the stage where I can give it a bit of shape. All this activity nicely brought on lunch which I was definitely ready for!

After lunch I cleaned the brass ware on the front door as it had started to look a bit shabby, rain over the prelude was weeks had taken it toll. This took me about 40 minutes to finish and once that was completed it was time for a mid-afternoon cup of tea followed by a bit of reading, we still hadn't had any rain by then, but the sun had decided to make a show. So relaxing on the living room sofa, in the warm sunshine with a magazine and a cup of tea inevitably prompted a bit of eyelid inspection.

I now think it's time to open a bottle of red and relax in front of the idiots lantern.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  To some, anyway.

The pace-ometer-acme-o-gram is almost up to 5,000 today, and I am cream crackered.  Easy one tomorrow I think.

Hell, Rick you're really going through it, much support-o-thoughts head your way.

Mrs H in a washing the cars frenzy and has mowed the lawns too - Must be after something. I had better cook dinner I feel....

• RMweb Premium

Game completed..no rain..yippeedddoo!

Need a cup of tea and a snackette...more cricket tomorrow..

Baz

PS which group was Jeremy Corbyn appearing in at the big festival???

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. Very belated anniversary wishes to Baz and Mrs. Baz. Dull and overcast but the predicted showers didn't come. They are probably waiting until tomorrow when I will be at a local bus rally.

Morning all,

I has rained, well drizzled for about 30 minutes although according to Exeter's seaweed we were at that time under 'heavy rain'.  But at least it's a bit cooler and more rain (or drizzle) might arrive in the coming few days.

We might possibly visit Wargrave Festival today but I await orders on that potential trip (once I've told herself that part of it takes place a mile from the station).

Continuing an earlier theme building foundations wise our road is a geological mess and Building Inspector's nightmare - our foundations are the standard one metre deep in most places but over 2 metres deep, with plenty of rebar, in one corner plus a 'mat' of rebar across the entire oversite.  Next door in one direction the foundations are probably standard post-war 18 inches to a couple of feet, the other side (on tipped ground) the present house is on piles but the one before it wasn't and fell down.  3 doors down , beyond the one on shallow foundations,  the house sits on piles some of which go down 60 feet but the one next to that is on standard foundations about 2-3 feet deep at the most. Two doors up is on piles, mostly around 19 feet deep but the one next to it sits at the end adjacent to the piled one on foundations barely a foot deep although they're standard depth at the other end - it's been there over 60 years and hasn't moved.  But a further two doors up from that the extension to a bungalow sits on piled foundations although the original part of the building doesn't, and has never moved in over 80 years.

Finally a nice little pic for Chris F showing what somebody in Aus thought of their 'trainee jeep' - with a numberplate like that who could resist taking a photo?

Enjoy your day.

attachicon.gif193_DS~1.jpg

Only a change to the second and third letters to make it appropiate for many drivers on the road today.

• RMweb Premium

Substitute WA for TO on the original ;)

I do love those Aussie registrations. You can basically have what ever you like (subject to the normal 6-character maximum) in many states so long as it isn't considered offensive. Around Melbourne, among very many personal names, I've seen:

VANCAR (think about it ... )

A550LE (I assume the numerals defeated the automated profanity filter used by VicRoads)

HOTROD

INFRNT

GOTCHA (on a police high speed pursuit vehicle!!!)

KIARIO and many other variants using 0 or 1

TOYOTA

NISSAN

FARQ (doesn't require too much thought; FARKEW is blocked)

PLUMBA, PLUMMA

CHIPPY, SPARKY

WETOWU (on a tow truck, where else)

COPCAR (police, again)

TRAMMY, TRAMIE and others. In a city operating the worlds largest network "trammie" is a tram driver.

And a good many more

• Like 6

....I do love those Aussie registrations. You can basically have what ever you like (subject to the normal 6-character maximum) in many states so long as it isn't considered offensive. Around Melbourne, among very many personal names, I've seen:

VANCAR (think about it ... )

A550LE (I assume the numerals defeated the automated profanity filter used by VicRoads)

HOTROD

INFRNT

GOTCHA (on a police high speed pursuit vehicle!!!)

KIARIO and many other variants using 0 or 1

TOYOTA

NISSAN

FARQ (doesn't require too much thought; FARKEW is blocked)

PLUMBA, PLUMMA

CHIPPY, SPARKY

WETOWU (on a tow truck, where else)

COPCAR (police, again)

TRAMMY, TRAMIE and others. In a city operating the worlds largest network "trammie" is a tram driver.

And a good many more

Seen in Melbourne, December 2002:

post-6879-0-51404400-1498333403_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

I showed this to the Obergrumpenfuhrer.

She gave my tail a violent jerk and told me to stop living in a fantasy land.

I'm still finding it disturbing.

Maybe I'll wake up soon and it's all a dream......

• Like 11

My iPhone app tells me I've walked 3.4 miles today of 8.660 steps. Considering I've been morning the much neglected lawn in the back garden and not even ventured through the gate that's pretty good. As the back garden is 30ft square there was a lot of repeat mowing.

I'm now knackered and ache!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

For some reason Andy's description made me think of Thor Heyerdahl! 

First part of the layout is wired up. 

7/10 in today's tests. Want to see if I can get that up to 9/10 by Tuesday. 

Cooler here today and apparently the seaweed wanglers suggest there will be heavy rain later.  

Remember the Kon Tiki well in the early 50s - very impressive.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Evening awl,

Just back from the reception, which went very well all my parents descendants were there except one who lives in Montreal, and he joined us by mobile phone / video for a few minutes.

I was surprised to see my sisters husband there looking surprisingly well,. He was given 6 months to live with stomach cancer around 8 months ago.

Having trashed Scottish pies a few weeks ago we had a buffet at the reception which included 3 inch diameter pies that looked like over filled scotch pies except that they were very well filled with quality steak good they were!!!

We left early when my parent decided they had enough at around 10:30.

Right I'm knackered time for bed...

• Like 12