The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

Busy at work, but not so much as to cause stress today.

The foot continues to improve slowly but steadily, after effects from Kiree-Anne's ministrations last night weren't as bad as expected!  Still very sensitive on the scars too, and unfortunately they will need to be opened up again to get the screws out after Christmas.  I'm told going in via the same places is preferable to new incisions, I suppose there is less chance of any further nerve damage as there is enough just as it is.  I did 3,000 paces today according to my pace-ometer-acme-o-gram thing, which is the most yet.  This is of course nothing, but it is a benchmark of progress I can easily track.  Sore now, but.

Packing for escape on Thursday has commenced by SWMBO, I am SO looking forward to our break, having missed our wedding anniversary holiday in March and taking the loco to the Ffestiniog in May.   Great plans afoot Steamplex wise, too.....shhh.  Steamplex GTi planning behind closed doors.....

London Clay. After all the subsidence and heave problems back in the late seventies I think it became standard practice here for larger houses. A few years ago someone nearby had a two storey extension at the back of their house. There was some demolition of a chimney required to get the pile driver machine round the back.

Tony

IIRC Christopher Wren made a bit of a coque-up by using clay rather than sand under the foundation of Saint Paul's, but he eventually did manage to sort it out.

The car now has a fridge in it. It works, though a bit slow to cool from ambient temperature.

Maybe you should only use it in the Winter?

(I'll be away for a while, but feel free to leave a message.)

A while ago I bought a round bar-stock of "free machining" cold-rolled steel (CRS - not to be confused with "can't remember stuff") to make those gears I was on about. It's actually an alloy of steel and lead. The lead is supposed to act as a lubricant when it's being cut. To tell the truth, when I was cutting the gears I didn't notice much difference between the stuff and normal CRS.

Today I was making a cam and I happened to find a piece of bar-stock that was just the right diameter. Blimey - did it machine easily, and a brilliant smooth finish to boot. Then the penny dropped.

Doh!

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Returned from checking out the property mum wants. All seems fine from visual inspection. No new decorations to cover anything up but will need redecorating to her tastes. She put an offer in and looks like its been accepted so she is happy for now. However after living in the current place for 41 years since it was built she will miss it when the time comes as I will as it hold many memories.

Up early tomorrow so we can have breakfast in Woking Wetherspoons as works out just enough time after it has opened for the day, then carry on to Swanage by train all the way although with a change at Wareham

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 6

London Clay. After all the subsidence and heave problems back in the late seventies I think it became standard practice here for larger houses.

We've a lot of clay* here too, but I expect you have a brick built home which would need more support. Virtually all the domestic construction here is wood framing (historically and to this day) and with less mass and more flexibility combined, needs less foundation.

It's just as well, from an earthquake standpoint, the flexibility of wood framing is far safer than brick from a structural and a collateral damage standpoint.

* Resulting from these.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all and supportive wishers Rickm(Gwiwer), I hope things improve soon. I hope, whatever the weather, everyone has had a good day. Here, the temperature has been much cooler today with dark clouds threatening, but not delivering, any rain.

This morning I trawled through the long final assessment document for the student who finished tomorrow. The afternoon became frustrating. I had asked the agency if I could scan the birth certificate and email it over. They said no and needed to take a copy of it, This meant I needed to drive to the city centre office. I telephoned the office at 12.10 as I was about to leave school for official non-contact time. Simple question - would the rep I am dealing with be available if I popped over straight away because I had another appointment at 1.30. The answer was to come over and the job would only take five minutes. I arrived at the office just before 1pm and was then made to wait until 1.25 to be seen. This meant I had to cancel the other appointment. Once I was shown into the office, the rep simply took a photo of the birth certificate on his mobile device! How is that different to an email of a scan? Very annoyed.

The rest of the afternoon was spent planning for next week and clearing more off the to do list.

Night all.

Hi Andy,

Very frustrating, but, the difference is that 'they did it with you present'.  I had the same problem with a bank that I had used for absolute years.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

The car now has a fridge in it. It works, though a bit slow to cool from ambient temperature.

They had some for sale at half price (£60, reduced from £120) in our local Tesco's and I am considering purchasing one. This particular one was triple voltage, 12V and 24V DC and 240V AC. I should imagine that it would be better and quicker to cool it first using the 240V before putting it in the car.

• Like 7

I'm reminded of the plot device from the Fawlty Towers "The Builders" episode. For some reason 'garden wall' triggered this: "Do you understand? Next week's definite, is it? That would be nice, won't it? We've waited for that wall about as long as Hadrian." "Orrelly men".

Again art imitates life. We have a local builder who's white van proudly states (I sh!t thee not) "O'Riley & Sons, builders".

• RMweb Premium

Anniversary tea...

post-7650-0-63684100-1498249444_thumb.jpg

at a nice restaurant.. excellent food, great service and nice bottle of wine.. and oooh err, excellent company!

Booked up for a Yorkshire Day taster session on 1st August... really looking forwards to it!

No comment on our two "international" umpires tonight.. they really have opened up a major can of worms which will be tested in league games all over the UK tomorrow.... Law 43 definitely not applied....

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Apparently something in red meat encourages the production of uric acid.

Not only red meat, especially liver and steak, but also some seafoods e.g.anchovies as well as lots of sugar and, unfortunately beer ... so once deposited the things that make life 'good' just make it worse.  Purine metabolism is a 'pain' - apologies for the information and the pun.

Peter

• RMweb Premium

* Resulting from these.

A similar thing happened and resulted in the British Isles becoming separated from the rest of Europe. What is now the North Sea was once dry land and the Thames and Rhine rivers combined to flow north and reached the ocean in the region of the Orkneys. Come the ice age this exit was blocked and what was to become the North Sea became a frozen lake. At the end of the ice age the lake melted but the ice sheet to the north prevented the water from escaping. At the southern end where the Straights of Dover now is was a narrow chalk ridge. The English Channel was, as sea levels were a lot lower, a marshy plain with the coast being about where the Isle of Wight is now. Due to the weight of water behind it the narrow chalk ridge at Dover gave way resulting in a similar flood. The bed of the lake was soon occupied by the likes of Mammoths and Neanderthal humans until further sea level rises formed the North Sea.

• RMweb Premium

Maybe you should only use it in the Winter?

(I'll be away for a while, but feel free to leave a message.)

They had some for sale at half price (£60, reduced from £120) in our local Tesco's and I am considering purchasing one. This particular one was triple voltage, 12V and 24V DC and 240V AC. I should imagine that it would be better and quicker to cool it first using the 240V before putting it in the car.

We bought one of those , but only dual voltage, 12V and 240 AC, this year and it was a boon on the drive down to France. They are much more efficient if you cool them down first at home on Mains and then plug in the 12V in the car, After remembering to change the switches.

They can also be pre heated and then maintain heat of you wish, again depending on how the switches are set.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Very pissed off.  Some of you will remember a few years ago, that BT jumped into bed with Yahoo for the provision of e-mails.  Not a happy experience for either BT, or users of BTInternet, many of whom jumped ship.  Anyway after all these years, my Yahoo account resurrected itself and decided to hijack my BTMail e-mail account. 

It took quite a battle, including having to remember my Gmail password, before I could get the BT account working again.  And I have to get to e-mails via Bing.

What with John ringing from Bangalore every 10 minutes..... at least he is intercepted by my 25 years old Response120 answerphone.

Glad that Rick is vertical.....Bill

Yes Bob, having the same problem here I think something has happened since Verzilion? took it over.  Whatever it is I still seem to be getting Yahoo when I want BT.

• RMweb Gold

IIRC Christopher Wren made a bit of a coque-up by using clay rather than sand under the foundation of Saint Paul's, but he eventually did manage to sort it out.

Grandad Bob lives in an  area of 'Epsom salts".  In the early 60s they had to jack-up and re-pile St Helier Hospital ... I understand that it is now sinking again - pity because I liked the place and worked there for many a year.  

Thinking of the thunderstorms above mentioned I remember one Sunday afternoon when they were publicising Chitty Chitty Bang Bang and had a band marching down Wrythe Lane when the sky opened with a phenomenal downpour in seconds.  

That has linked to yet another thunderstorm incident.  There we were, a band of 20 plus, marching down a road in Kings Cross and, naughtily as trombone players really giving it a 'rasp', when the same thing happened and we were soaked through in seconds even with greatcoats on but ... we carried on playing as if nothing had happened and remembered the event as 'fun' once we had been dried out.

Edit - few extra words to answer a question posed verbally Peter,

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 15

A combination of tiredness, good food and a couple of pints of Doom Bar (my first drink for a few months) have meant that I now have problems keeping my eyes open.

Night all

• Like 13

The bed of the lake was soon occupied by the likes of Mammoths and Neanderthal humans until further sea level rises formed the North Sea.

The Dogger Bank was a glacial moraine from that dim past.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

...We bought one of those , but only dual voltage, 12V and 240 AC, this year and it was a boon on the drive down to France. They are much more efficient if you cool them down first at home on Mains and then plug in the 12V in the car, After remembering to change the switches......

Ah. On initial test, I managed to get the thing to go down as far as 7 deg.C on 12v alone.

Mine is the "little" 20-litre thing from Clas Ohlson. Cost 30 quid.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 2

We could use a good brickie here. Some of the brick fascia on the house needs work. The real problem is that some concrete was put down without enough compaction of the fill beneath it.

I saw an ad for a system that levels concrete slabs. Looks like they inject polyurethane under the slab to jack it up. Does anyone have experience with this method?

Yes the 2 times I have heard it used here in Melb, Australia it worked perfectly. It was the same contractor but they may not travel al the way to you! A couple of things though you need to be able to tell then where the storm water, and sewer pipes are! If not it will all need digging up and replacing! The material is very good a finding the pipes from what I heard. Also it can be leaking pipes that caused the subsidence in the first place!

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

We had a visit from No 2 son and his fiancée this afternoon. He'd been to the dentist and was being picked up by Sarah. Later on the grandkids and No 1 son came for their usual Friday tea, but we had 1 less guest than usual, as Evie was at a school friends birthday party.

Goodnight all.

• Like 5