The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

just a small addition it is linked to the cowboy builder there are two sets of pipes one fully lagged which were installed by the plumber who was going to install a combi boiler and are not connected to anything! Then there are two pipes dangling in space no lagging at all installed by the builder leaking happily.It is no wonder the plumber got so far and never came back to finish the job, he perhaps looked in the under sink cupboard!

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, It must be Wednesday by now. It seems I have a meeting with my manager this morning. I have no doubt it will be short and unproductive or cancelled. Such is the nature of work for me at present. Only 3 and a bit months to go thank goodness. Still off to the old farts club (railway club) this evening.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave

Morning All!

It's been a while I know - I'm still an ER and life has changed a little! I've seen JohnDMJ a couple of times during my LOA from RMWeb, and saw SouthernRegionSteam exhibiting at Brockenhurst a couple of weeks ago too? How is everyone fairing the chill?

Best Wishes to All!

Graham

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Cold again, and now the forecast has changed for tomorrow and the possible thaw is not going to start until Friday?

Mike - glad to hear you're warm and safe - sounds pretty awful.

Mick B hope the home emergency people get to you and get you sorted out. I really do feel for you with your tribulations over the cowboy.

Regards to All

Stewart

• RMweb Gold

Newsflash!!!

Southeastern trains to introduce sleeper service between Charing Cross and Sevenoaks. If successful they will roll it out to the rest of their franchise. :lol: :lol: :lol:

One day last week the Matt cartoon in the Telegraph had a commuter standing at the SE train ticket office. The ticket clerk is saying "Will you be staying one night or two with us"?

Having posted in the "What I miss about the UK" thread this morning, I have to post here what I don't miss about the UK.

The fact that a little bit of snow causes the whole of the SE of England to grind to a halt. Traffic chaos, rail chaos, schools closed.

When I tell my colleagues about it, they guffaw with laughter.

Guest Max Stafford

We used to laugh in Scotland too, Robert... :blush:

In this country, I think it is probably as much to do with the way we live, work and travel. The culture for the last 20-30 years has been for people to commute by car along ever increasing distances as people live further and further from their places of work. Supply, manufacture and distribution hubs are designed almost entirely for unimodal (road) use with no adjacent rail facilities to complement the road links. The railways themselves function largely on a minimalist, 'just in time' manner with no surplus stock, the near absence of heavy rail equipment makes snow clearance even more problematic and an ever-increasing obsession with electronics in rail vehicles makes them increasingly vulnerable to failure.

Of course another factor in snow-related difficulties has been the psuedo-scientific political dogma that has proclaimed ever more loudly and arrogantly over the last 20 years that snow in these islands was a thing of the past. Something conveniently latched onto by people in high places to avoid investment in snow clearance equipment...

Dave.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Morning All!It's been a while I know - I'm still an ER and life has changed a little! I've seen JohnDMJ a couple of times during my LOA from RMWeb, and saw SouthernRegionSteam exhibiting at Brockenhurst a couple of weeks ago too?How is everyone fairing the chill? Best Wishes to All!

Graham

Welcome back Graham!

Hope you enjoyed Brockenhurst. We have only one small pile of snow left on our garden but it is still quite cold here. It's meant to be warming up tomorrow but we'll see what happens!

• RMweb Premium

In this country, I think it is probably as much to do with the way we live, work and travel. The culture for the last 20-30 years has been for people to commute by car along ever increasing distances as people live further and further from their places of work. Supply, manufacture and distribution hubs are designed almost entirely for unimodal (road) use with no adjacent rail facilities to complement the road links. The railways themselves function largely on a minimalist, 'just in time' manner with no surplus stock, the near absence of heavy rail equipment makes snow clearance even more problematic and an ever-increasing obsession with electronics in rail vehicles makes them increasingly vulnerable to failure.

Dave, I can assure you that it's hardly different here in Germany on all of these counts... :(

• RMweb Premium

I have to report that Churchills home emergency service did what it said on the tin a man and a lad turned up fixed one leak in a pipe found another leak phoned up their office for approval and went off for some bits and returned 20 mins later to fix the leak in the pipe next to the first. We had endless fun getting the airlocks out of the hot water system (Google is my friend) but the house is now toasty warm.

Guest Max Stafford

Excellent news Mick. I'm glad you got the Useless Builder Blues back in check!

Oh, am I first in this morning?

Righto, I'll get the kindling going and the kettle ready for the early shift.

Should be Mainz and Frankfurt reporting in next.

See you all later when I get up again! :)

And that's me finished work for ten days now. I was going to go up to Ballachullish next week, but I think under the circumstances that would be a foolhardy enterprise!

Dave.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all...

Seems like Frankfurt's the second to report in today!

Guess what kind of weather we've been having over night? There's about four inches of fresh snow outside - traffic in this state's solidly jammed in many places, of course. Railways look to be better off, though I'm reading something about delays on the suburban network due to emergency aid having been necessary for a passenger.

Have a good day everyone!

Morning All,

Mainz is third! It took me a little longer than usual to get to work this morning - hence my being later on parade.

We had our office Christmas Party last night, and I left at about ten to find around 6cm of wet snow - the journey home was quite interesting with lorries in ditches, snow ploughs, accidents, trees down. It took me about 50 minutes to get home (usually takes me around half an hour).

This morning was a repeat performance - but the snow had frozen in the meantime and I beat the gritters (don't know what happened to them - even the autobahn had a good coating of snow). Thankfully, I made it in one piece, but the section through Mörfelden was very interesting. The road was sheet ice and the Police were directing people around the wreckage of two cars that had had a head-on and one BMW which was in the ditch. Total time, just short of an hour.

Maybe I spoke too soon about getting around yesterday :O - although I did get through, albeit slower than usual.

What Dave said is all too true - Not only are there too many electronics in trains, but also in cars. In this weather, if it were not for the fact it would rust away from all the salt, I would much rather drive the Mini. No power steering, no ABS and no traction control - IMHO much better in the snow.

Glad your house is warm again Mick.

Have a good (safe) day everyone...

Good news about your heating, Mick. Nice to know normal temperatures have been restored in your household...

Really heavy frost last night and all the locks on the side gates were frozen solid.

Mrs S is off to London today to visit her friend who has just come out of hospital. A very nice woman stepped out in front of her when she was cycling home and she took one hell of a tumble. She's badly broken her femur and completely smashed her knee cap. It's going to take some months to recover and most of that will be spent on crutches, so watch yourselves, it's a big dangerous world out there...;)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I've just returned from the icy wasteland that is my front garden. I've been putting the Clio in the garage at night and as I don't want to dent the model railway boards I volunteer to get the car out. I was supposed to be going up to London today for a medical appointment but it had to be cancelled by the hospital yesterday afternoon.

We spent quite some time yesterday chatting to Matthew by phone. He has got an exam today and was a bit concerned about some of the topics. Fortunately his mum has taught those topics at degree level and she convinced him he does know what he knows!

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, Clear blue skies with barely an okta in sight and thus it is bloomin' cold. I don't like cold. :angry:

As predicted yesterday I turned up for my meeting with my manager only to find him chatting with someone else. The man is about as much use as a pork chop to a rabbi and yet he has just been promoted! Thank goodness I have only 16 weeks of this lunacy left.

Have a good one all.

Cheers

Dave