The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

PRO: Quick, simple and cheaper to construct. Easy to find problems and to repair. In certain enviroments (e.g. high water table, earthquake-prone), probably more robust overall.

CON: More vulnerable to weather (as you have just experienced) and vandalism.

Not to mention that overhead lines are fugly. The cost difference used to be around 20 times for underground distribution, but I understand it's down to about 10 times these days. One of the big problems with underground distribution is getting rid of the heat produced by the cable's resistance. If they get too hot the dielectric insulation starts to breakdown and KABOOM!

How will local British Airways cope with this outage? STOP

Probably not too well. Based on what I've heard (which admittedly isn't much) I have a theory that BA was relying on a combination of battery-backup and generators to ensure that the power could "never" go out and therefore the system wouldn't have to recover in the event of an outage. If that turns out to be the case somebody sold them a bill of goods.

Evening all,

Lawn mown (should that be moan?), areas of jungle also tackled with some success, and definitely some moans but the hedge trimmers worked wonders used horizontally at ground level.  anyway it all looks a lot tidier so brownie points duly banked.

As a one time regular visitor to Belgium I had a reasonable understanding of written Flemish (provided it was 'technical' in relation to my work disciple) but could never relate the spoken word to the written one - totally different sounds from what you'd expect.  I'd very occasionally come across some Flemish/Walloon friction with the seeming ultimate insult being to describe the Walloons as 'Mediterranean, and we all know what the Mediterranean races are like' (i.e ill-disciplined and idle!!).  I also met one character at a meeting who although he clearly understood, and could no doubt speak the language, refused point blank for the meeting to be conducted in French so that I could follow what was being said - so after each bit of agreement of what would be done to cover a particular working it was duly translated into English for my benefit.  After that had happened several times I duly told my translator exactly what had been agreed for the working just discussed and thereafter the meeting continued almost entirely in Flemish except when I needed to ask a question.  I therefore think I can justly claim to have been the first Englishman to agree an rail replacement 'bus service discussed largely in Flemish - and I even managed to accurately record in my notes exactly what had been agreed.

Now almost time for the roast lamb although the Trainee Signalman seems to be taking his time getting home - probably helping to put the teddy bears away

I worked for an outfit that sold typesetting systems with customized keyboards in Europe. Our distributor in Brussels sold a dual language keyboard system to a customer in Belgium. There was a key that selected whether it was in French or Flemish mode but our distributor was adamant that the mode key had to be engraved "French/Dutch".

• RMweb Gold

After a pleasant meal Aditi insisted on a walk. We are just over the water from London City Airport. I think she just wanted to watch the aircraft landing and taking off. It seemed to be quite busy while we watching. I am not any good at identifying aircraft but some had two engines , some had four and some had propellers. The plane we are going on tomorrow is made in Brazil I believe. I am interested to know how many languages Swissair will announce the safety talk in when we depart tomorrow.

Tony

• Like 6

Brewer's Dictionary Of Phrase & Fable has a long list of phrases referring to the Dutch; according to the editors, the derogatory implications of some of these derive from the Anglo-Dutch wars of the 17th century. G. J. Marcus's "A Naval History of England" goes some way towards restoring the national reputation as good sports, in its account of the Battle of Camperdown, in 1797. While the two sides were closely matched in numbers, the ships of the British fleet, commanded by the Scot Adam Duncan, were larger and better armed and gained a bloody victory. Marcus comments: "Throughout the action the Dutch fought with the stubborn courage and grim tenacity of their race."

I worked for an outfit that sold typesetting systems with customized keyboards in Europe. Our distributor in Brussels sold a dual language keyboard system to a customer in Belgium. There was a key that selected whether it was in French or Flemish mode but our distributor was adamant that the mode key had to be engraved "French/Dutch".

I think even the Belgian Constitution refers to the that language as "Nederlands", i.e. Dutch. Trying to find an official version online...

edit: here it is: 

http://www.senate.be/doc/const_nl.html

België omvat vier taalgebieden : het Nederlandse taalgebied, het Franse taalgebied, het tweetalige gebied Brussel-Hoofdstad en het Duitse taalgebied

i.e. Belgium has 4 language area: the Dutch language area; the French language area; the bilingual area of Brussels-Capital and the German language area [my translation]

Despite all that, I've asked as a proud Fleming what language they speak, and they told me Flemish "...it's completely different to Dutch". Even though they are not really any further apart than British and American English.

Edited by eastwestdivide

• RMweb Premium

Not to mention that overhead lines are fugly. The cost difference used to be around 20 times for underground distribution, but I understand it's down to about 10 times these days. One of the big problems with underground distribution is getting rid of the heat produced by the cable's resistance. If they get too hot the dielectric insulation starts to breakdown and KABOOM!

I think Ian meant domestic distribution, not HV.

I think Ian meant domestic distribution, not HV.

I think he was too. I'm also referring to US domestic distribution, and there may be a difference between the understanding of "distribution" between the UK and the US (or even the IOM.). The OH distribution lines are usually HV - something like 35KV - with pole mounted transformers. Here's the pole behind our house. The transformer produces center-tapped 240 volts that runs underground to our house but the 240 volt connection to the house behind us is overhead (it's just visible in the pic.)

In newer subdivisions in the US the 240 volt connections are usually buried and there may be a lot of houses connected to each transformer. The HV input to the transformers may also be buried, but that gets expensive because of the high voltages involved.

post-25691-0-09709800-1497212646_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

When I visited Malta a few years ago the ancient capital of the Island, Mdina had just recently been declared a world heritage site. Having received that status the overhead power supply had to be buried underground. Problem was it was only neccessary to dig down a few inches to find ancient archeology that had to be carefully excavated and recorded. It took about ten years to complete a job that was expected to last a few months.

• RMweb Premium

I think he was too. I'm also referring to US domestic distribution, and there may be a difference between the understanding of "distribution" between the UK and the US (or even the IOM.). The OH distribution lines are usually HV - something like 35KV - with pole mounted transformers. Here's the pole behind our house. The transformer produces center-tapped 240 volts that runs underground to our house but the 240 volt connection to the house behind us is overhead (it's just visible in the pic.)

In newer subdivisions in the US the 240 volt connections are usually buried and there may be a lot of houses connected to each transformer. The HV input to the transformers may also be buried, but that gets expensive because of the high voltages involved.

attachicon.gifDSCN3268.JPG

In urban UK (and IoM!) it is mostly 240 close to home, in our case all from a transformer in the centre of the village - 11kv I think.  All underground. Only more rural dwellings seem to have pole mounted transformers and suspended lines. 

When I visited Malta a few years ago the ancient capital of the Island, Mdina had just recently been declared a world heritage site. Having received that status the overhead power supply had to be buried underground. Problem was it was only neccessary to dig down a few inches to find ancient archeology that had to be carefully excavated and recorded. It took about ten years to complete a job that was expected to last a few months.

In these parts it's Native American burial grounds. We actually live on a part of an Indian reservation that was deeded to the State, or at least that's the story. There have been many fights about who actually owns the lake and there is a looming fight about who owns the water rights to the lake and adjacent areas. Water, or the lack of it, is a very big deal in Western USA.

Fortunately our house is built on a basalt outcrop that makes if practically impossible to bury anything without the use of dynamite (as the guy who built my shop discovered to his chagrin.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Game umpired.. lost 8 overs due to rain.. the Women of Ben Rydding (all 9 of them) beat the ladies of Anston (all 11 of them) .. tea was excellent!

My language skills are quaint.. French, German and Russian at school ... all used in anger since school when required... dead chuffed when I can make myself understood

overseas as I failed my O level French and Russian.

Rule 1.. always enough local lingo to order food and drink...

has stood me in good stead over the years.

Sleep well all!

Baz

• Like 17

In urban UK (and IoM!) it is mostly 240 close to home, in our case all from a transformer in the centre of the village - 11kv I think.  All underground. Only more rural dwellings seem to have pole mounted transformers and suspended lines. 

Although I only lived in the UK for 33 years I'm reasonably familiar with the system there.

• Like 6

Ahh so P M T is some thing to do with electrics then and not female plumbing?

attachicon.gifDSCN3268.JPG

Greetings. Am I an early riser or an early to bed.

Last few days in yyc. I fear I'm turning native. Been watching the playoffs. If not for the winters......... Spent a few hours in the pub where I met SWMBO 25 1/2 years ago. Exhausted and will need another vacation to recover.

Morning all. A terrible nights sleep thanks to my brain not wanting to shut off. Just what I need for a long drive before meeting a potential new client.

A very grey start to the day which looks like precipitation later.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.