The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the clifftop eyrie in Bournemouth that is our temporary home for this week.   I actually earned some good class brownie points last night. SWMBO was less than impressed with the standard of housekeeping in the flat and the manager will feel her ire on Monday.  (I will retreat to a bunker somewhere).   One of the items was a kitchen cupboard door that fouled an adjacent cupboard.  5 minutes work with a screwdriver from the  modelling crate solved the problem and the points were duly awarded.   Not sure how the day will pan out but hopefully not a lot will be done and if the weather is inclement I may even investigate the contents of the modelling crate further.

Regards to all.

Jamie 

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

That's fine Mick, it is generally accepted Dutch is one of the most difficult languages to learn, as we're very sloppy with it :punish:  Words with different meanings? The Dutch invented it (or maybe not), and perfected it into a fine art :P It is one of the reasons why foreigners find it so difficult to learn our language, they think they know the meaning of a word or sentence , then learn that when spoken in a different context it means something entirely different! ......

Well that's a bit of a nuisance; if I was to add another language to my schoolboy French the most useful would probably be Dutch as the majority of our trips abroad are to either the Netherlands or the Dutch speaking part of Belgium. Sadly my command of the Dutch language only allows me to thank someone or to insult them by implying that they have an unnatural relationship with a chicken. Fortunately English seems to be widely spoken (to a very competent standard) in both Belgium and the Netherlands. In Ghent I saw an advert in a Subway window for serving staff, the prime requirement being fluency in Dutch and English.

Edited by Neil
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Great! It's sunny! However the forecast for the weather in South Yorkshire this afternoon infers that we won't finish our cricket match. Bummocks!

Watched England narrowly beat the Pumas. Great match with a lot of old fashioned rugby from the Pumas.

Tea to be drunk so TTFN.

Enjoy Sunday.

Baz

• Like 3

Well later in the day, old car has new battery... now my old friend is running again. But it is time to hand on to a new owner. Even better was the battery was 25% off still expensive though

I have even cut the first piece of my next P4 layout. Ok I have had the sheet for 8months! I think it will be longer than I expect. This in not really an issue as the garage is big enough for both cars and all the other gear... let alone the area under the OO layout... I am trying to keep the overall length to be reasonable for may be one day taking it to an exhibition. So the main section is to be 1800mm long and the ends look like they will be about 1200 long. All plus some fiddle yards which may be a cassette system. I have thought of making turntables as here in Australia at Bunnings we can buy lazy Susan rings which could be utilised. I find it strange that we will baulk at spending money on the baseboards but not at what we put on top. Any how that is a long way in the future! As usual I have painted the top "hurricane" which is a blue grey as the base colour for all the decorative stuff. Any how my main aim is to make all the track and test it before going too far! But then again I only need 2 more points and a single slip as I have already built the 3 way point and a single slip.

• Like 17

Morning all. Another bright start to the day and hopefully it will stay like that.

Several chores to complete today including ironing, washing the van and cooking roast lamb with all the trimmings.

Time for another coffee before I start that lot.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Some working on the railway(s) would be nice today.

Working on decorating the downstairs cloakroom would be wiser.

Yesterday I met Dexter, a very friendly chap.

He is now resident next door, a rather large rescue dog about 5 tears old, described as a Victorian Bulldog.

I'm not convinced with this and suspect he is a cross between a Mastadon and a Sherman tank

The cats who also live next door are not impressed.

As is normal with 'bull' breeds he is very good at generating large amounts of slobber.

I shall follow the progress of his settling in with interest.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When it comes to languages I even have trouble with English at times. I must admit that when I have tried to learn foreign languages I have found German and Dutch easier, after all English has its roots in Northern Europe and it is reckoned that a dialect spoken in Northern Holland is very similar to the English spoken before the Norman conquest. A study was made a few years ago about the root of languages spoken today and the English language was traced back to Urdu and Sanskrit as were other Germanic languages. Even further back most languages can be traced right back to African languages as you might expect with DNA evidence showing man originated in Africa. Some languages remain unique such as Basque, Finnish and Magyar which perhaps explains why the last two are more difficult to learn, though Magyar is derived from Mongolian. Thats it for this morning, spending some model tokens at a toy fair today, be back later.

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

For his PhD in Ireland Matthew is proposing to improve his Polish language skills and also learn some Portuguese. He really did try to improve his Dutch but rather than let him speak most Dutch people where he lives just switch to English.

• Like 2

Morning All

It's a lonely life, being a prophet of THE TRUTH, with friends being seduced by THE TESTICLES OF THE DEVIL...  But at least Mike has partially redeemed himself by partaking of Black Pudding - one of the CHOSEN FOODS OF THE GODS! (along with Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Lasagna Verde Alla Bolognese [the authentic stuff, as made in Bologna], dark chocolate digestives and true Singapore Noodles - to name but a few)

I shall ignore, for now, the thorny theological debate about how to best cook eggs for breakfast (scrambled, fried, omelette, poached or boiled).

Hallelujah, another ER has seen the light. Praise be, Brother....

Well off to enjoy my last day without Mrs iD and the Wolfpack (who have been off at the Holiday Hovel, participating in a "Military" [an interesting use of English by the Swiss, it refers to an agility and problem solving course for dogs]).

iD

Everybody believes what they believe and, to them, that is the(ir) TRUTH!

• Like 3

Morning all, I hope that this Sunday finds you well. Best wishes to those who are heading off on holiday, I hope that the weather is kind to you. Here it seems to be blowing a gale outside. I can't confess to knowing what the weather is like because we are having a rare lazy Sunday morning and are still bed.

Yesterday was an enjoyable day. The Bakewell model railway show was a good show and I spent a relaxing few hours there. It featured a couple of stand out layouts, the best being a layout based around a tramway and working roadway. I think it was set on the Isle of Mann, but a lack of a show guide means I can't confirm this. The combination of moving vehicles, well modelled trams with automatic rotating trolley poles all in stunning scenery made the layout a must watch and I returned to it on several occasions. There was also a very nice 00 gauge layout set around a station and viaduct (I think it was called Sutton on Hill) which was very entertaining. I did not spend much, just purchasing a £6 Airfix brake coach for use on Skaleby West.

Whilst at the show I met a few familiar faces and received lots of kind words. I think most felt I have made the correct decision in my working life which was nice to hear.

The evening was an enjoyable family time with a take away meal whilst watching the England v Scotland game. Then, after Amber had gone to bed, it was a couple of drinks whilst watching the Isle of Wight festival on tv. Just a shame they could not provide live coverage last year when Queen headlined.

Enjoy the day all.

• Like 18

That's fine Mick, it is generally accepted Dutch is one of the most difficult languages to learn, as we're very sloppy with it :punish:  Words with different meanings? The Dutch invented it (or maybe not), and perfected it into a fine art :P It is one of the reasons why foreigners find it so difficult to learn our language, they think they know the meaning of a word or sentence , then learn that when spoken in a different context it means something entirely different!

(oh, and about Dutch courage, I take it you're not meaning the C17-ish raid on your primary naval base situated well inland, leaving the entire English fleet ablaze/sunk, bar the flagship, which was brought back as trophy and only in 2016(-ish?) did the last remaining parts of it make it back to London in an exhibition, with a guaranteed return ticket back here :P )

I am only just getting over what those nasty Nederlanders did to our mariners and traders during the days of the far East spice trade. Inhuman treatment and torture! ;-)

Gods Bless You Brother John

Everybody believes what they believe and, to them, that is the(ir) TRUTH!

Of course I have THE TRUTH, it was given to me high atop a lonely mountain peak in Switzerland by the Gods of Ragnarok, Gault-Miliau and Michelin.

Cthulthu, Azaroth, Shub-Niggurath, Nyarlathotep and "He Who Walks Behind the Rows" have blessed my Holy Work of Ridding The Great British Fry Up of THE TESTICLES OF SATAN.

I need say no more...

• Like 4

Morning all from Estuary-Land. When it comes to languages I even have trouble with English at times. I must admit that when I have tried to learn foreign languages I have found German and Dutch easier, after all English has its roots in Northern Europe and it is reckoned that a dialect spoken in Northern Holland is very similar to the English spoken before the Norman conquest. A study was made a few years ago about the root of languages spoken today and the English language was traced back to Urdu and Sanskrit as were other Germanic languages. Even further back most languages can be traced right back to African languages as you might expect with DNA evidence showing man originated in Africa. Some languages remain unique such as Basque, Finnish and Magyar which perhaps explains why the last two are more difficult to learn, though Magyar is derived from Mongolian. Thats it for this morning, spending some model tokens at a toy fair today, be back later.

Will the recent suggestion that man did not evolve by the African route change the thinking of our language originating there?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Sunny again and supposedly grass to cut - but it rained last night so there could be problems ahead.

I was relatively useless at languages at school but an exchange visit to Germany taught me a lot about that language (which I never did ay school anyway.  Then years later I ended up in my final big railway job having to converse in French - fortunately mainly technical and involving lots of things like numbers and times which were undoubtedly the easiest bit.  And so to restaurants - many French restaurants seem to go in for very peculiar version of 'English' on their menus so much so that at one we frequented regularly in Paris we always asked for the menu in French notwithstanding that we were sitting at the table conversing in English with our (English) friends; regrettably that restaurant closed some years ago.  Alas French menus have very occasionally backfired - as i found out when i ordered a salad with 'geziers' on one occasion in the south - how the heck was I supposed to know the translation of gizzards was geziers?

Enjoy your day one & all.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's a sunny one here.

Yesterday saw the family down by the seaside. 

The youngest learnt about King Canute - the hard way and then amused other day trippers by lying down in the surf and being thrown about this way and that.

Tony, safe travels. 

After long consideration for my B&B breakfast on holiday I shall be asking for scrambled eggs without cooked+smoked salmon. I hope the additional labour involved in not including this item won't affect the price. Controversially I shall be having a bowl of grapefruit pieces. Suspicious, or what - the chap who doesn't like the acidity of a squashed grilled tomato is actually up for that of a grapefruit. First he disassembles the scrambled egg dish and then he may dissemble about acceptable acidity levels. 

• Like 16

Gods Bless You Brother John

Of course I have THE TRUTH, it was given to me high atop a lonely mountain peak in Switzerland by the Gods of Ragnarok, Gault-Miliau and Michelin.

Cthulthu, Azaroth, Shub-Niggurath, Nyarlathotep and "He Who Walks Behind the Rows" have blessed my Holy Work of Ridding The Great British Fry Up of THE TESTICLES OF SATAN.

I need say no more...

Are those drugs Class A or B?

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When the Dutch Navy attacked the fleet in Medway they also launched an attack on the small village of Benfleet allegedly mistaking it for Tilbury.

Edited by Tony_S

Norwegian........now there's a language!

Easiest way to speak it is to cut your throat whilst at the same time gargling on a pint of warm cooking oil.

I got there in the end tho......and was fluent enough to hold a half sensible conversation.......Can just about manage a hello how are you now, not having used it in over 30 years.

Same with morse, tho I can manage SOS and the odd SIC ( some will get that!).

• Like 11