The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Interesting point about marginal seats in the new parliament. The slimmest blue marginal is Richmomd Park where Zak Goldsmith made it by just 45 votes, the slimmest red marginal is Kensington and Chelsea with only 20 votes. But the slimmest of all is Fife where the SNP clung on by only two votes!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Aditi quite likes real trains and is very tolerant of toy/model trains. I have hopes for tiny niece Maya who likes Thomas the Tank Engine.

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

I think I have done my packing. I have done all the sorting out of documents that I am responsible for ie, money, passports and insurance.

The boarding cards should arrive by email tomorrow but as we are flying on a "proper" airline who don't penalise one financially for checking-in in person it won't be a problem. My lovely neighbour will take us to the railway station so we don't need to book a taxi tomorrow. I have checked and C2C, Jubilee Line and DLR workings won't cause any problems. We could walk to the airport on Monday morning from the hotel but I think a cab just foe once would be sensible. I am looking forward to the holiday now, I have been a bit unwell for the last week but have perked up just in time!

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I have been practicing my German phrases for our holiday. They all seem to be about food and drink though. This may interest iD but Matthew said I would be better off learning Serbo Croat as anyone actually working in Switzerland in the tourist trade probably comes from former Yugoslavia. We shall see.

Our previous trips to Switzerland have mainly been to French or Italian speaking regions. I suspect the hotel will be efficiently multilingual though.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Evening all.

I missed the morning. The need for sleep finally caught up with me. Managed a slow stroll to the garden shop and returned with a quartet of pots, some sort of bagged dirt and two each lavendar and tomato plants. The doorstep garden has begun.

The rest of the day has been a near-total loss thanks to an attack of gout in the starboard foot. I'm back in bed early with extreme pain and the fidgets. Sleep may be a luxury.

Good night all.

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It's been another day when we've had sporadic rain, so any job that I'd got planned for outside today got shelved. Instead I busied my self with a job I've been putting off for months, I've finally sorted out all the photos that I've downloaded on my main computer from my work phone and iPad. Then I added some more CDs onto the iPod I use in the car.

Not much else planned for the weekend, but I'll have to put all my equipment back in the car ready for work on Monday.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

Well yesterday was nice, model rail way meeting in the afternoon, pulled out the bits for the new P4 layout.... didn't end up cutting the sheet as SRman dropped over as I didn't know that we Ms SRman, Ms DougN and the kids were going out to dinner. But all very nice. To day nothing planned but the above sheet will be cut! I may go to the local model shop to look for some brass angle for the Quad art foot boards. Btw if your building a quad art they get expensive I thought as I owned the kit it would be ok but so far about 70 quid has been enjoyably spent! This was to be a cheap and cheerful... though it is. A train in its self.

Oh weather 15 and sunny cold over night... beagle hiding in back of the kennel cold night. He prefers to be in there rather than inside due to his blanket and he has lost interest on his bean bag.

Edited by DougN
  • Like 1

I have been practicing my German phrases for our holiday. They all seem to be about food and drink though. This may interest iD but Matthew said I would be better off learning Serbo Croat as anyone actually working in Switzerland in the tourist trade probably comes from former Yugoslavia. We shall see.

Our previous trips to Switzerland have mainly been to French or Italian speaking regions. I suspect the hotel will be efficiently multilingual though.

Tony

When Liz and I stayed in Pula in Yugoslavia (now Croatian again) in the early 80s, we seemed to be the only non-Germans in our holiday village. Besides the staff and other people in the service industries, all the locals, who assumed that we also were German, addressed us in that language. I gave up trying to learn Serbo-Croat from a phrase book, but when the cleaning lady came in on our first morning, she swept in without a word, ignoring us and starting her work. I guessed that she didn't like Germans, and managed to remember one useful phrase in Croatian: "Dobro Jutro" (pron. yootro), meaning "Good morning", trying hard not to think that it sounded as if I was asking if she had a guitar in her womb. She brightened up immediately, replied in kind, and chattered non-stop while I smiled and nodded and surreptitiously looked up a few more words in the phrase book.

So I'd carry on practising the German, Tony. Serbo-Croat is not a tongue to be attempted lightly!  

Edit: Corrected careless geographical slip!

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Polish and Finnish are supposed to be notoriously difficult. And as for Hungarian......

Languages are all double-dutch to me........  :jester:

(with apologies to DM)

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 4

Polish and Finnish are supposed to be notoriously difficult. And as for Hungarian......

In my case, the pity is that I've found that when I speak English, my refined Scots/Yorkshire accent leads people whose native language belongs to the Slavic group to assume that I'm a fellow-countryman of theirs...

• Like 2

In my case, the pity is that I've found that when I speak English, my refined Scots/Yorkshire accent leads people whose native language belongs to the Slavic group to assume that I'm a fellow-countryman of theirs...

I can speak German to order in restaurants in Germany and Austria, but in France they always hand me the English menu.

• Like 7

Finnish and Hungarian are supposed to be more closely related to each other than to any other languages.

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl, a very good night's sleep was had, of 7.5 hours after yesterday's labour it was either going to be a good one due to the labour, or a bad one due to the aches and pains.

The TV programme " The truth about sleep" recommended the consumption of kiwi fruit and inulin. Here are my thoughts after trying it since the show about a fortnight ago. Luckily both kiwi fruit and inulin are cheap on a per day basis.

Kiwi fruit, the recommendation was 2 before bed time, I find they do seem to send me to sleep better, the odd occasion I've forgotten to take them I've found it difficult to get to sleep.

Inulin, SWMBO reports I sleep better with less snoring and less turning over. Even though we have a memory foam mattress prior to the inulin I would wake with pressure pain in joints on the side I was lying on.

Combined I seem get an 1/2 an hour to an hour more sleep per night, I feel more rested and slightly better through out my body.

Side effects, Inulin, DO NOT exceed the recommended dose of inulin, which in the case of this packet says no more than 1.5 of the provided scoops. If you do, you wake early, making a rapid journey to the little room. Assisting in digestive transit is an understatement.

This may be assisted by the fact I'm also on stations which can have a similar but lesser effect.

I found difficulty in getting inulin to dissolve into hot or cold drinks​, it formed a gooey mess in the bottom of the cup. This was solved by mixing well, the dry inulin powder, with dry chocolate drink powder, before adding water. I think any powdery drink mix would work.

I can hear SWMBO getting up, for Woolly Worstead, only 2.5 ours before she needs too and about 4 hours before she normally gets up. My normal 2 hour relaxation before heading out is about to disappear.

Time too... Put the kettle on for SWMBO

• Like 1

Morning All

Breakfast (the 'Special', which seems to be the smallest proper job version on offer) duly consumed at Flic's Cafe - tomatoes (tinned - very yummy, sorry Flavio).

I prefer fresh tomatoes, fried.  Sorry, Flavio.  Otherwise looks good.  Mental note made.

Chris

It's a lonely life, being a prophet of THE TRUTH, with friends being seduced by THE TESTICLES OF THE DEVIL...  But at least Mike has partially redeemed himself by partaking of Black Pudding - one of the CHOSEN FOODS OF THE GODS! (along with Melton Mowbray Pork Pies, Lasagna Verde Alla Bolognese [the authentic stuff, as made in Bologna], dark chocolate digestives and true Singapore Noodles - to name but a few)

I shall ignore, for now, the thorny theological debate about how to best cook eggs for breakfast (scrambled, fried, omelette, poached or boiled).

Oh hell, those tomatoes on Staionmike's breakfast look like the inside of my foot after the accident!  Eeuuww.  Hate the things, spoil a good breakfast.  I can only eat them cooked into food, lasagne or chilli sort of things...

Hallelujah, another ER has seen the light. Praise be, Brother....

Well off to enjoy my last day without Mrs iD and the Wolfpack (who have been off at the Holiday Hovel, participating in a "Military" [an interesting use of English by the Swiss, it refers to an agility and problem solving course for dogs]).

iD

Edited by iL Dottore
  • Like 7

Good morning one and all

Demon Barbers played a blinder at St Neots last night.  How many folkie bands feature break dancing?  This morning I have been trying to reach a settlement with the laptop over doing what I ask it to do, which in this instance is save a web page as a pdf document.  My brain is not attuned to such complexities at 05.30 and it is now much later than that.

I might as well set out what is to come this week, which is on the busy side.  Tonight I am at The Stables for "Made in the Great War" by Sam Sweeney.  Tomorrow the prescription form is taken to the surgery to give the GP time to deal with it and the car is loaded.  On Tuesday I visit Poorly Pal, followed by the RCTS meeting at Hitchin featuring a talk by David Percival.  On Wednesday I head for a well-known capital of a principality for another slide show, returning on Thursday for a bit of solemn contemplation and a bit of fun.  Friday sees me in London for a concert by Le Vent du Nord and Saturday the AGM of the Scalefour Society followed by a concert at the Stables with Blackbeard's Tea Party.  There is a distinct possibility that I shall spend next Sunday quietly.

Warm thoughts to all in distress

Chris 

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

I hadn't realised that Greek women feel the cold in winter so much that they are all equipped with Ear Warmers.

Never mind the women - the intended contents of some of those items would keep any man warm and cosy on a cold winter's night!