The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

We didn't go off to look at the roses at Hyde Hall today. We did just laze about in our own garden. I think Aditi wanted to go out as she was a bit grumpy (out of character) following on from conversations with a family member about her Mum but then she had a very reasonable chat with her brother and so she returned to her normal disposition.

We are still in the garden, I have just finished a Dutch Trappist beer but may have to refill with a Belgian one soon.

Dinner tonight will be Indian, not vegetarian though.

Tony

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Late on parade again today but I was up and out of the house early, honest! I've had quite an interesting day, viewing and operating Leamington Spa layout. I was invited as I am MERG member and the layout uses MERG equipment to control both the engines and the track and very impressive it all is too. It was being operated by some of the team who have helped in the building of the layout. I've been there all day, so when I was about 15 minutes from home, I called our favourite Indian takeaway to order tonight's tea, it was just being packed into the carrier bag as I got there, nicely timed I thought to myself.

Time for that bottle of red now.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

No, but he might experience a few stiff ones blowing through the Barnesmore Gap.

As he is a student of human geography he won't have to wander around the countryside too much. A lot of his research in Cork seemed to take place in bars and cafes. If he had accepted the research place in Cork he would have had a more rural research project.

• Like 9

As he is a student of human geography he won't have to wander around the countryside too much. A lot of his research in Cork seemed to take place in bars and cafes. If he had accepted the research place in Cork he would have had a more rural research project.

He may benefit from being invited to a funeral.

• Like 4

My umpiring today is in Horsforth the ground is under the final bit of the approach to Leeds Bradford Airport so you need to make sure the planes don't distract you.

Kids play 'road hockey' on quiet residential streets in Canada. As a car approaches, someone will shout "Car!", the goal nets will be pulled to the side of the road and the players will stand aside till the car passes and the game can resume.

In the late 1970s/early 1980s, I played in a Sunday morning pub football league in the Cambridge area. One team's home field was on land belonging to this man - https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ken_Wallis . The field doubled as his private landing strip, and he enjoyed taking an autogyro for a spin on a Sunday morning. An autogyro throttled back on approach to landing does not make a lot of noise, plus autogyros aren't fitted with horns. Those standing on the sideline had to be trusted to keep a lookout and shout "Plane!" at appropriate times.

(Other teams shared home fields with whippet racing and archery clubs, but those are other stories.)

• Like 6

A successful day and I was back reasonably early but I was delayed by an extensive eyelid inspection.

A quick trawl through the world of RMweb and maybe some modelling.

Back later.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Time passes so quickly.  It was a year ago today that Andy P and I attended Jock's funeral in Clacton-on-Sea on behalf of all the RMwebers.  The memory of Jock and his fortitude, positive acceptance and superb writings are still with us.  RIP Jock.

Cheers, Peter

• RMweb Gold

Not a great dealing of modelling done but at least I managed some.

Night all.

I painted some bendy MDF to form a backscene for the extended scenic area I have added to make the station longer. My artistic skills are limited so the painting is white with some pale blue streaks. Looks like sky with a bit of imagination. I will put lots of trees in front.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

It's hard work playing trains all day isn't it?

Goodnight all

• Like 9

Evening all. I hope today finds you well. Thoughts are very much with Jock's family and friends today. I am sure many of us miss his thoughtful advice, kind comments and daily summaries of the events recounted here on ER. He really was a gentleman and one of the best. Someone else also mentioned another dearly departed member, Don Bradley, who is also missed. I also think of Dave (Torr Gifford) who, I believe, opted to go off and cruise the canal system after the death of his wife. I do hope he is ok.

I may not have posted on here recently, but I have been lurking and keeping up to date with all of your posts. Too much to mention right now so my generic greetings to you all.

And now for my news.

On Friday 26th May, the last day of term, I formally gave a verbal resignation to my boss and confirmed that I will leave the school in July. My contract will formally cease at the end of August. I do this without a formal job to go to which, on the face of it, seems a foolhardy thing to do. It is certainly the biggest "risk" I have taken and comes after a great deal of thought and a lot of discussion with my good lady.

The justification is thus:

My recent deputy head applications have been rejected on the account I do not have enough experience in enough schools. This is true as, during an 18 year career, I have only taught in two different schools and one of those has been for 17 years. I have recently tried to get a teaching job elsewhere but budget issues have held me back because I am too expensive. I have therefore found myself stuck between the proverbial rock and a hard place. I can't get a leadership role due to lack of varied experience but can't expand my experience because of budget issues.

My answer is to sign on with a teacher agency who have been recommended by an ex colleague. They will try and find me a full time role whilst I continue to search independently. This should help to expand my experience and keep the money coming in. I will need to keep a reign on the finances to ensure a safety net is in place for the early months of next academic year. This has been made easier by a low four figure inheritance that has cone our way.

So that is it - decision made and, for the time being, I am at peace. I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. This week has been the most relaxed week I have had for a long time. Yes there have been moments of doubt, but I still feel,I have made the right decision. Time will tell if I am correct.

• Like 5

Greetings

News has been unfolding all night of what is being treated as another outbreak of terrorism.  A white van has mown down pedestrians on London Bridge and the men in the van have stabbed some passers-by and a policeman in Borough Market.  Apparently the perpetrators have been shot by police but innocent folk have been killed or wounded.  It is difficult to comprehend the mentality of those responsible.   I expect it will be on the news all day.  It is, after all, of greater significance than what I planned to raise this morning.  That can wait.

Well done, Andyram.  May your courage be rewarded.

Blessed be

Chris 

• Like 1