The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Happy birthday BlackRat. I now have visions of you doing Deltic sound effects at your Pilates class.

It should be a quiet day here, pottering around at home this morning and off to a nearby clinic for an ultrasound scan this afternoon.

Tony

When's it due?

Happy birthday Black Rat, Happy Anniversary Jamie.

Greyer here today but still warm.

Boss back in the office today so better look busy.

Nice to see England win a cricket match, although Woakes' injury may not be good

The weekend does not promise much in the way of excitement; so have a good day all

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Happy Birthday to BR and Happy Anniversary to Jamie & Beth.

Rather cloudy here and the forecast states   "A bright morning although occasional showers will develop with a risk of localised thunderstorms, hail and torrential downpours possible in the afternoon in some places. It will feel hot and humid in hazy sunny spells between showers."    Good-oh, that means I can forget about cutting the grass.

Yesterday I was suggesting people might like to subscribe to Now TV for the Rugby and I've just realised that I haven't done it yet so that will be the first task today. Luckily for me they've emailed a two month special offer for just £15 per month which is something I can't possibly refuse. (Normally £33.99 month)

Slept in rather late for me and was woken by The Boss bearing tea at 7.15. 

Got a headache and am aching all over so I need to move around a bit to loosen up so I think a brisk walk to the kitchen for more tea is called for.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

When's it due?

Never I hope. It is a aortic aneurysm scan. Men in their 65th year are recommended to be scanned. I don't know if this a national thing or something our local NHS Trust arrange.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Never I hope. It is a aortic aneurysm scan. Men in their 65th year are recommended to be scanned. I don't know if this a national thing or something our local NHS Trust arrange.

Tony

I hope the scans apply to Women as well, all SWMBOs ancesters we have the death certificates for, died of heart problems and her Aunt a couple of years ago of a leaking aorta.

Good luck with your test...

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday BR and anniversary, Jamie.

It's a sunny start to the day here and we're off to ride on a steam train and stroll round a garden as a prelude to Solar Lap "Falcon".

Thinking about some of these job applications, for once I'm going to (politely) ask the HR department how they arrived at their decision, rather that ask for the bland feedback.  

I think people may take decisions too passively sometimes and potential recruits are seen as fodder.

Onwards and upwards. 

Ian RH hope your decision making process goes well for you. All I can advise is that it's easier to change jobs when you're in one than from a standing start. I think part of this that as a candidate you can come at it from the standpoint of "Hey, I've got a job, you as the employer need to capture me." but also folk like myself who have had a career break (caring for elderly relatives, children etc) are perhaps seen as not fully committed to their career. This may seem unfair, but HR departments aren't known for their sentimental side. Have you considered asking for a 6 month sabbatical to do some training, just to give you a break from the slog and come back re-charged?  

Ian RH hope your decision making process goes well for you. All I can advise is that it's easier to change jobs when you're in one than from a standing start. I think part of this that as a candidate you can come at it from the standpoint of "Hey, I've got a job, you as the employer need to capture me." but also folk like myself who have had a career break (caring for elderly relatives, children etc) are perhaps seen as not fully committed to their career. This may seem unfair, but HR departments aren't known for their sentimental side. 

• RMweb Gold

Tony

I think it's national. I had one 3 years ago.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

It's a sunny start to the day here and we're off to ride on a steam train and stroll round a garden as a prelude to Solar Lap "Falcon".

Thinking about some of these job applications, for once I'm going to (politely) ask the HR department how they arrived at their decision, rather that ask for the bland feedback.  

I think people may take decisions too passively sometimes and potential recruits are seen as fodder.

Onwards and upwards. 

Ian RH hope your decision making process goes well for you. All I can advise is that it's easier to change jobs when you're in one than from a standing start. I think part of this that as a candidate you can come at it from the standpoint of "Hey, I've got a job, you as the employer need to capture me." but also folk like myself who have had a career break (caring for elderly relatives, children etc) are perhaps seen as not fully committed to their career. This may seem unfair, but HR departments aren't known for their sentimental side. Have you considered asking for a 6 month sabbatical to do some training, just to give you a break from the slog and come back re-charged?  

Ian RH hope your decision making process goes well for you. All I can advise is that it's easier to change jobs when you're in one than from a standing start. I think part of this that as a candidate you can come at it from the standpoint of "Hey, I've got a job, you as the employer need to capture me." but also folk like myself who have had a career break (caring for elderly relatives, children etc) are perhaps seen as not fully committed to their career. This may seem unfair, but HR departments aren't known for their sentimental side.

Thanks Andy

Yes very conscious of what you say but really I do need a long break to calm down and possibly do something completely different. I once did agree a two month sabbatical to travel as my other half was made redundant on a good payout . That's one bit of travel the I am really glad that we did and will never forget it. When boss of current outfit found out some years later he didn't seem happy that I had done that with the previous company. So I doubt it would work here.

• RMweb Premium

Dull, cloudy and a little wet here in mid-Wales this morning. This week I have mostly been doing diy, with both a bedroom and a bathroom to decorate. As light relief yesterday afternoon I barrowed a dumpy bag and a half of topsoil from the drive into a raised bed round the other side of the house. Today it's light pollyfillering and painting for me.

....  I hesitate to mention this, but tempers appear to be fraying in the world of p*l*t*cs.  Certain interviewers really should expect their victims to answer the question that they have posed before asking the next one.  Andrew Neil let himself down badly in this respect last night.  Another offender is Sarah Montague on the Today programme, who must be perched on the edge of her seat with impatience as the questions tumble out without the precaution of waiting for a reply to the previous one and listening to it.  These and other inquisitors should find tapes of the late Sir David Frost, who did both very well.  Gentle reader, this is where you remark that it is always easier to do other people's jobs than your own.  How true, how very true. ......

Not just on the telly but at the telly. I was amused to learn last night that a mate of mine has been banned by his wife from shouting at/arguing with politicians when they appear on the box. Mind said wife apparently launched a tirade at Jeremy Paxman when he was wouldn't let Jeremy Corbyn answer the questions he was posed in Monday night's interview.

Moving on from politics I note that Trump has pulled the US out of the Paris climate agreement. I'd argue that Trump would be most at home in a big tent, dressed in canoe sized shoes and a large red nose and is therefore fair game for ER. As ever the BBC has an informative piece on the topic.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Happy birthday BR and happy anniversary Beth and Jamie. Tony, it is a national scheme I had the scan about 3 years ago and got the all clear. Only bugbear was that there was about six of us to be scanned and we were all given the same appointment time so some of us had to wait to be called in. The poppies are coming on well but no sign of any flowers yet, and speaking of poppies there was a newspaper item a few days ago where a chap failed a random drugs test at work and was about to be sacked when he proved that the morphine found in his body was from the poppy seeds on the bread he ate that morning. Thats it for now, have a good POETS day, be back later.

• Like 4

with regard to aortic aneurysm scan  . . .It's a national thing. . .I had one last year and the worst thing about it was wiping the gunge off afterwards.

I even got the All-Clear there and then..

John

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

Happy (55th ??) Birthday Black Rat.

Happy anniversary Mr & Mrs Jamie.

Happy unbirthdays and unanniversaries to everyone else.

• Like 15

....Pilates class.....

I once tried a Pilates class. There seemed to be an extraordinary degree of washing one's hands.....

.....Trump has pulled the US out of the Paris climate agreement. I'd argue that Trump would be most at home in a big tent, dressed in canoe sized shoes and a large red nose.....

He's a bit late for the big tent stunt. The late Colonel Gaddafi got there first, and got away with that type of thing for years.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I had my scan last year it was nice having a young lady rubbing that stuff all over my chest  :spiteful: the down part was taking SWMBO with me to drive me home if I failed the exam, your driving licence becomes null and void if you fail. 

• RMweb Premium

POETDEMU Showcase.

Happy Birthday BR and Happy Anniversary Jamie and Mrs 92208.

Golf was carp this morning. My opponent played less badly than me. After the game we both readily admitted that we can do better.

The big advantage of losing is that I don't have to try and arrange the next round match.

Off to brave the Friday traffic, but only a bit of M66/60/67 to negotiate before taking the scenic route through the Peak District to the DEMU Showcase event at Burton on Trent. There will be a photographic stopover at Peak Forest/Great Rocks Jn. 

Beer, food and good company to look forward to over the weekend.

Have a good one folks.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 2

I hope the scans apply to Women as well, all SWMBOs ancesters we have the death certificates for, died of heart problems and her Aunt a couple of years ago of a leaking aorta.

Good luck with your test...

Although my MiL preempted this by having a heart attach age 65 in the winter. She's well now with stents fitted. She has lost several stone in weight but according to Mrs Lurker is much slower than before. And she was slow then too!

• RMweb Premium

Happy anniversary Jamie and Beth.

Shopping completed

Piano now tuned

Wagons have now got numbers on loco renumbered

Pension fund to send paperwork to..then prep for weekend cricket

Baz

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Onwards and upwards

They have to provide notes,scoring matrices etc as part of the freedom of information process

I asked about feedback at a cricket job I applied for

" Very good candidate but as he wasn't Civil Service clerical will have no ability to schedule meetings and handle deadlines " needless to say the leader of the interview was very taken aback when he realised my civilservice "rank" was 3 levels higher than his...would I want to work for him? No, he is the most disorganised person know. He was going to ring me about a cricket appointment this week he has got this afternoon to do it.....

Baz

Edited by Barry O

• RMweb Premium

A'noon, everyone, and HB to BR!

Sunny and warm anew, though t-storms are on the forecast for tomorrow already. However, conditions were perfect for an event I shall be posting about on my City Streets blog in a few!

Also on Wednesday, I was given one of…

img_6042dwjxm.jpg

…the new staff tablet computers, for which I am among the advance test crew. These devices are planned to provide a variety of (I think) useful functions, some of which but will yet have to be enabled over the next few months. Aside from all relevant information related to your own shifts - such as timetables, staff notices and ordinances - it contains copies of all regulations, operating manuals, and troubleshooting guides.

One key function to be enabled by September or October will be a vehicle damage reporting module, and next year, an e-learning module as well as an accident recording assistant is planned to be implemented. The software package is called ÖV-Pad and provided by Swiss company Innotix. It is already in use with several public transport operators mainly in Switzerland, and I'm hearing Innotix are very keen on improving their product based on feedback from their customers. The latter is, I think, always a good thing, and I personally am looking forward to putting it to good use.

Cheers, folks…

Edited by NGT6 1315
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

^^

Yes, I wonder if you'll be accessing RMWeb on that..... :jester:

We may, in fact, use it for non-work purposes!

And here's a photo strip from Dölitz this morning where 1002 was the star of a kind of handover ceremony: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/1910/entry-19495-eppur-si-muove/

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Happy Birthday BR, Happy Anniversary Jamie & Beth.

Late arrival here today as I was off first this morning to se the Good Count's daughter Natasha (just the right name for one of his daughter's I think), then home and called to collect Mrs Stationmaster from town to Tesco so she avoided the slog back up the hill, duly Tesco'd then home for me to cook (!!!) my lunch of mushrooms.  What a wild life we lead.

Seemingly the aortic pressure job is now standard for males on reaching 65 but it you were pre-standard you don't get swept up by some sort of backcheck.  I read about it on here some long time back and duly booked myself in - I could have had an appointment within a week but was already booked elsewhere so had to wait another month or so until they came round again.  Plenty of 'firm pressure' applied during the process but all was ok and when I next saw the GP some time after he was most impressed that I had booked myself in for the test - and had got a 'good' result, especially as I was technically in a 'higher risk' category having been a professional smoker.

Enjoy the rest of the day and hoping all of you are having things a bit cooler than the heatwave struck mid Thames Valley

Good day all from a rather warm Winnipeg. Going to hit 33c today. A good few days in tourist mode have been enjoyed. This has included the Museum of Human Rights, Winnipeg Railway Museum, and of course a brewery tour.

A Very Happy Birthday to BlackRat.

An equally Happy Anniversary To Jamie and Mrs.

Ian L have you considered getting signed off on grounds of stress? If nothing else it may nudge them towards offering you a package.

Gotta run. More touristy stuff today and then it's off to yyc tomorrow.

Enjoy your Friday.

• Like 11