The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Attention Rugby Fans.

Don't forget the first Lions match on Saturday AM KO 8.35 our time. It and all the other tour matches are being shown on Sky Sports and I know a lot of people don't/won't subscribe because of the cost or other reasons. However you can get a Sky Sports pass with a NowTV box (they are owned by Sky) which means you can buy either a day, a week or a month at a time and can then cancel with no penalty.

This will also give access to all other sport like cricket and F1 during the same period.

Boxes are available from Argos and major supermarkets.

More info here:   http://www.nowtv.com/about

Apologies if I'm trying to teach grannies to suck eggs but I hope this may be of use to someone.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all from Estuary-Land. I found a voucher when I was preparing to do a bit of shopping this afternoon, £20 off electricals at Tesco, one of those that is generated at the till if you spend over a certain amount. As I was considering getting one of those Acer laptops I mentioned earlier I decided why not. I've now got myself a job over the weekend of setting it up. I still haven't sorted out the battery problem with the current computer but it appears that it may need replacing. When I use it it is on mains power but when I switch off as the battery indicator is showing 'full' I disconnect the power. However when I switch on again the battery indicator shows low. Saw a pair of cockwombles today, the first was a 'hot hatch' with blacked out windows. As I wanted to turn right at the next roundabout I was in the outside lane, I was travelling at the permitted speed limit when the hot hatch shot past on my nearside and weaving in and out of the traffic. He apparently wanted to turn left (no signals of course) but came up against the queue of traffic also turning left, pillock! The other was a henwomble in a Chelsea tractor. Near the local station there is a short one way system, cars have to turn left and go under the railway bridge. There are two lanes, one straight ahead and one turning right. There is also traffic lights were the roads divide. Henwomble is waiting at the traffic lights in the lane going straight ahead, as they change she puts her right turn indicator on and goes right, luckily for her no one was turning right just then.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I still haven't sorted out the battery problem with the current computer but it appears that it may need replacing. When I use it it is on mains power but when I switch off as the battery indicator is showing 'full' I disconnect the power. However when I switch on again the battery indicator shows low. 

Laptop Li-on batteries do need replacing from time to time and they aren't that expensive on Amazon. You just need to type in the make of the computer to pick the one that is moulded to the right shape. Generally not a good idea to let them run flatter than about 20%; the laptop power manager should be configurable to ensure this doesn't happen.

They also need to be regularly charged as they will start to run flat just sitting on the shelf. Unlikely to happen in your laptop, but with one of the bits of kit I designed I had to specify they were recharged just prior to being taken out on jungle patrols to ensure they performed and dished out enough power for long enough.  

• RMweb Gold

We had a longer day out than planned. The walk round Chalkwell Park didn't happen as there was nowhere to park. There was a bouncy castle event on for half term. The children seemed to be having much fun. So we decided to head into Southend and go to Priory Park. Parking was restricted but we were lucky and got a space. Robbie had a nice run about in one of the woodier parts of the park. We eventually made our way to the park cafe. Very traditional sandwiches and tea type park cafe. Aditi did end up having a heated tetchy online chat with her sister. It was about MiL and some therapy SiL has arranged. MiL is not happy about it. She doesn't want to go to singing and story time therapy. It is for people whose quality of life is impaired due to mild dementia.

Anyway we then headed for Leigh and did the shopping we intended this morning. Robbie and I remained on the roof car park. I think he was bored and went to sleep until Aditi returned.

Aditi is in the kitchen. I won't be going in she is listening to something quite awful on ClassicFM. Even Robbie is with me and he definitely normally prefers the kitchen.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 2

Hi all

Just popping in very quickly after our warm and sunny beach holiday in Florida Poole Harbour.

Had a call that my mum was taken to hospital whilst there, but all is OK - she had chest pains which turned out to be indigestion, thank heavens, but they did find a chest infection so has been on antibiotics until today.

Snag is, she's finding it difficult to get up from chairs so she's being kept in until she can; they really want her to be independent, and so do I!

Haven't read much from the last 30 or so pages, apologies. Hope to get back to WT soon

Mal

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

evening all.

Burnt to a frazz again...

3 games

Yorkshire U17s girls beat Lancashire

Lancashire beat Shropshire

Yorkshire beat Shropshire

Excellent spirit, soem good cricket, some great people to talk to..

job done

Shopping tomorrow while the piano tuner visits

Then some modelling.. maybe...

Sleep well all.

Baz

and remember positive thought  to all who ail

• Like 6

Happy Birthday Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band! 50 today it would seem!

Or is it 70? (It was 20 years ago today, Sgt Pepper taught the band to play .....)

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Dutch snacks probably don't have a direct English equivalent unless there are some regional specialities that also are deep fried breadcrumbed mystery meat.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

In a strange twist of poor timing, this afternoon (1/6/17) we received post which stated that we will be receiving our postal vote papers by Friday 26/5/17! We received this letter AFTER we'd posted off our postal votes this morning!

Our meal tonight came by way of the freezer, as we finished off the lamb rogan josh and pilau rice that I made last week. After tea, just for quality control purposes, I tested another cake, I can confirm that they still taste OK.

After tea, Vidal Babboon's exclusive hair boutique open for business and have been made to look presentable.

Goodnight all.

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Ah, kroketten - I had some excellent ones for lunch in the staff canteen in Amsterdam Central (new) signalbox back in the late 1990s  (one of the more unusual meeting venues I attended in my time - strange though it might sound I'd had lunch the day before in the SNCF staff canteen overlooking the Eurostar platforms at Paris Nord, then off to Amsterdam by train).  This evening it was sausage casserole chez Stationmaster - very different from both of those meals.

And on that culinary note - G'night all

• Like 16

...."kroketten", they don't have an English equivalent, let alone name....

No, but we do have croquettes, which are exactly the same in external appearance, but somewhat smaller. The big difference is internal - the ones sold and served in Britain generally contain only mashed potato.

This reminds me of a 3-month criminal trial at Harrow Crown Court that the Firm I was working for back in 2000/1 sent me to cover. Whilst the trial itself was rivetting, the lunchtime cuisine served by the Crown Court's caterers was less so, and our Counsel were soon fed up of the uninspiring fare. The straw that broke the camel's back was the day that the Court cafeteria served up potato croquettes...with chips. After that, we all ordered takeaways from the nearby Golden Palace Chinese Restaurant, which thereafter did a roaring trade for the rest of the trial!

• Like 18

Morning all. Yet another good nights sleep which has left me feeling drained. I probably need a holiday.

East London and Wokingham today so again the planning appears to have been done by a 5 year old.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

Good morning one and all

Various tasks await today.  I must be at the surgery for 8 am to receive my injection.  Other things such as breakfast, fodder run and irrigating the strawberry plantation will have to be fitted round it.

I hesitate to mention this, but tempers appear to be fraying in the world of p*l*t*cs.  Certain interviewers really should expect their victims to answer the question that they have posed before asking the next one.  Andrew Neil let himself down badly in this respect last night.  Another offender is Sarah Montague on the Today programme, who must be perched on the edge of her seat with impatience as the questions tumble out without the precaution of waiting for a reply to the previous one and listening to it.  These and other inquisitors should find tapes of the late Sir David Frost, who did both very well.  Gentle reader, this is where you remark that it is always easier to do other people's jobs than your own.  How true, how very true.

Best wishes and temperature related thoughts to all in distress

Chris 

• Like 12

Morning All,

We have another bright and sunny morning in this part of the world.

There isn't a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

Another terrible nights sleep, waking several times, neck ache and cramp were in evidence at different times...

This wasn't helped by being late to bed, I had to attend a meeting for the guardship personnel for the Three rivers Race, after which we were issued with, radios, first aid kits, the buoys forming the course,. the lights for the said buoys to be put on at 21:00. the guardship signs, the race signs and the hopefully not used, race abandoned signs ( only once used in 55 years).

For those who wish it the breakfasts where also supplied pre packed. But as My gaurdship is  a loaned 34ft hire boat, I have no wish to be cleaning the galley before handing it back. we also being one of the two furthest points from the start /finish line the advantage of being the first closed when boats cannot hope to complete the course by the time they get to us about 09:00 on the Sunday. So we can pack up and go back to club and get breakfast served to us there.

I followed a peugeot  Home yesterday a small hatchback, It's right hand read wheel was near enough vertical, it's left hand read wheel was angled out at the bottom by a variable amount, when it went round a left hand bend it angled out more!?

I've given up of the politics on the TV, you Know:

A, The politicians of all parties will avoid the answer.

B, All politicians will lie.

Time to.. go see the results of the overnight cross check run...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hardly watched any interviews with the Politicians so far and doing my best to avoid them including any number forty fives latest announcements.

Yesterday morning was going OK til Just before lunchtime at work. Needed a couple of beers after work to calm me down. Did eventually get to sleep but wide awake by three am so only three and a half hours sleep.

Now considering do I jump or wait to be pushed although that may not happen but can't be doing this job much longer. Could definitely do with a few months off which we can easily afford but what to do after that for the next ten years. Planning to pay the mortagag off but the bank still hasn't sent us the final settlement figure despite it being requested a month ago.

At least we should have a relaxing weekend in Derbyshire. Derby tonight then tomorrow the Three Valleys beer fest which is based around a Dronfield area pubs and pubs with free bus shuttles stopping at the participating pubs and the station at Dronfield.

PS...why won't my iPad let me select numbers as having to type them in words at the moment.

• RMweb Premium

Happy birthday Blackrat

Didn't sleep well but I may sneek in an eyelid inspection later.

No cricket today. But games on Saturday and Sunday to look forward to.

Have a great day.

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, lots of cloud cover but still reasonably warm.  

Happy Birthday Black Rat.  It is an auspicious day, 38 years ago We got married and somehow or other are still together.   

Ian (RH) I wish you well with your decisions, not easy but life is precious.

A good evening at the club last night doing some muddling.  Now I've got the house to myself as Beth has departed to some Christian Conference for women in Leeds.   I've got various things to do and will hopefully end up at the clubrooms again tonight.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

Lots to do today, including my first Pilates class.......core strength and all that. Lycras at the ready, leta hope the back is.

Wonder if it's going to be yummy mummy's or glamorous grans......myself included.

Just don't put your back out again - for whoever reason :)

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Happy birthday BlackRat. I now have visions of you doing Deltic sound effects at your Pilates class.

Happy Anniversary, Jamie and Beth.

It should be a quiet day here, pottering around at home this morning and off to a nearby clinic for an ultrasound scan this afternoon.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 9