The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

It's only 10.45pm and I'm wide awake..........

On my way to Widnes earlier, I passed by the gate at BAE Systems, Salmesbury - the former English Electric factory well known for building Canberras and Lightnings.

The current gate guardian is a EE Lightning. This is it before refurbishment and movement to the new gate a couple of years ago.

A few days ago, I saw it had been joined by a mockup of Lightning II - the Lockheed F35, of which some parts are being made at Samlesbury and assembled at the sister factory on the other side of Preston. http://www.blogpreston.co.uk/2017/05/new-plane-lands-at-entrance-of-bae-samlesbury/

I mentioned this to a fellow club member and RMwebber - Les Green of Lime Street Station fame last night, as one of last jobs before retiring from BAE was in the wind tunnels working with 1/4 scale models of the F35. He sent me this link of the first F35s to visit North Wales' well known low flying Mach Loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JSdRTceIqQs

One of those youtube clips that links to more and more low flying videos and before you know it, there's two hours of your life gone missing - you have been warned!

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 11

• RMweb Premium

Evening everyone.

Well we didn't go to the garden centre this afternoon, we ended up staying in instead as Sheila had developed a head ache after lunch, so my wallet can now sigh in relief. Not a lot else happened tonight, it being Wednesday it was the weekly Sainsbury's Grand Prix, plenty of cockwombles in store. One old dear looking one way and pushing her trolley in another. There was also a 3 year old, who almost had his facial features permanently rearranged, as he was running full tilt round a corner, luckily I saw him and I was able to stop in time!

Time for bed, goodnight all.

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO), since inception from 2014? and I believe legally to give protection to fill the gap for clubs etc. that did not fully fit the requirements for genuine full charity status but were not true businesses and its benefits for e.g. Model Railway Groups compared to the Ltd Co. model which a large number of clubs are, because of what was 'available' at the time, although not technically businesses.  I am aware of Warley as a CIO but currently no other - possibly because of the limited time that CIO has been around.

Hope I'm not infringing rules of RM or ER by asking.  Thanks.

Cheers, Peter

Send me a PM Peter I may be able to help you.

Jamie

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Sunshine and blue sky already and a dry, bright and very warm day is forecast.

Really exciting day planned here. Not.

Bins. 

Shopping. 

Grass cutting.

Hair cutting.

I really must try to get a life.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 6

Good morning one and all

The HMRS was out in something approaching force last night.  Seven of us walked around historic Wolverton, noting as we trudged how parts of the former works have been re-used with skillful incorporation of key features.  The water of the Grand Junction Canal resembled a soup that I would not wish to drink.  Not many people were about apart from us.  Surely they were not all watching TV?  Earlier I cleared some more weeds from my jungle but there is still plenty to do.

Not much is planned for today.  I hope that a couple of bits of research will make some progress.  Before I even think of that I hope that a bath will soak away various aches and pains, some arising from yesterday's exertions.   Tomorrow I must make haste for I have an appointment at the surgery at 8 am. Although it concentrates the mind, it does give me the rest of the day to deploy productively.  One day it will happen.

It's a bit too hot to wish warm thoughts for those in distress, not least because humidity causes me distress.  How about - good wishes?

Chris

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

A very poor nights sleep in that I awoke at 02:10 with a stiff neck and a head ache. After some pills I did get some more sleep bringing the total hours up to about 6.

I've often seen the glow of brakes on military aircraft, along with the odd one where the brakes were applied  before the reverse thrust had Done it's job, or being too applied hard, flame and  smoke pouring out of the hubs... Rarely, there being not enough tyre left to remould..

Another episode of Bambi in the garden this morning, Mummy deer and Baby Deer(not so baby now) wandering around along with lots of rabbits, Pigeons, Crows and a squirrel. Later on just before I hit the rain, I hit the brakes enough to try out the ABS, as a deer ran across in front of me. Missed the Deer the ABS works..

The seaweed inspector on the radio excelled herself on this morning, " I can see the radar is showing a shower in Norwich, but I don't believe that" As I Was sat in Norwich at the lights with the wipers on.

Time To.. carry on with this weeks major system.

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

This may interest Naval guys on ER. High Speed Turn Testing aboard a Nimitz class Carrier.

Nimitz Class are rumored to have a top speed around 43 mph:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9NB_kENBhs

Best, Pete.

From the Navy Lark..."Left hand down a ....lot!

With that tilt it's little wonder they had no planes on deck

Baz

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Morning all.

Tea being drunk then off to Harrogate.

Best wishes to all with ailments, loved ones are N distress and travellers today.

Remember the White Rabbits!

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright village. I managed to get various things done yesterday then had a good evening in Huddersfield giving a talk to their Railway Circle followed by a convivial pint with some of them. There are some domestic duties first thing then I am told that I have the day to myself. Whatever will I do. I suspect it might mean some tidying some modelling and an evening at the clubroom.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Very pleasant morning here, sunny and warm.

Bins and bags out. My garden waste bin seems to have increased my popularity with the neighbours. "is there any space...?"

I think we may go to Leigh today to Waitrose and possibly then to Chalkwell. The rose gardens in the park should be blooming now. The roses in our garden are flowering quite profusely this year.

Tony

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Just a little update, I was reading a book a couple of days ago and It mentioned a town called Edina in Minnesota I thought I've heard that name and realised it was where Ian Abell lives.  It did mentione that it was an upmarket suburb but there was no mention of ER's.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 14

The weeds in front of the house were getting more than a bit ridiculous so I thought I better whack them down with the strimmer, but the strimmer was having none of it. The magneto does not seem to be doing its stuff. I was a bit annoyed because I only bought the thing about thirty years ago. (They just don't make stuff like they used to.) So it was off to town to buy a new one. Works fine, hopefully lasts a long time.

• Like 3

Just a little update, I was reading a book a couple of days ago and I mentioned a town called Edina in Minnesota I thought I've heard that name and realised it was where Ian Abell lives.  It did mentioned that it was an upmarket suburb but there was no mention of ER's.

Jamie

Was it the North American Centre of “Apoplexy”?

We should be told....

Best, Pete.

That's over 37 knots. That's phenomenal for a ship like that.

My aluminium fishing boat will do that, but admittedly it is slightly smaller and it only has 90 HP to play with. I wonder if it's possible to extrapolate the power output of the carrier from there? Does the power scale with the displacement? (NHN will probably know.)

• Like 8