The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Unplug the power lead.

Flip the laptop over.

There are likely two sliders on the base which locate  the battery into place. Push them to one side. 

The battery is likely to be a lozenge shaped item about 8 inches long that will slide forwards. 

Thanks Andy, I have looked and it seems to access the battery I have to unscrew the back. The place I purchased it from has an advice line so I'll give them a call. EDIT I've found it, now to remove it.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Make sure you run a tight ship - no talking in class, stop leaning back on your chair, put that phone away, put your hand up if you have a question, you should have gone to the toilet at break time etc

However, it is no longer acceptable to throw the board rubber or chalk at someone who is not paying attention

Walking around with an old plimsoll in one hand, gently tapping it into the other, is a sure way to strike fear into the class and keep them quiet. Certainly worked with one of my maths teachers - "Billy" Barcroift.

Cheers,

Mick

• Like 10

HUMP day - and for me POE day too since we're off to Chicago tomorrow!!

Nothing of note from yesterday, all quiet on every front.

Today, in the office rather earlier than normal, just happened that way. Advantage of "this early" apparently is there are NO cockwombles on the road, will note that for future reference, well worth the 10 minutes earlier start for sure.

This evening a run to the airport to collect the rental car for our road trip to Chicago and pack, though not sure much is really needed when a three day trip consists of two days driving and one day at a funeral/family gathering!

Not exactly looking forward to the trip since besides the immediate family (Mrs, MiL, SiL/hubby) I've maybe only ever met any of the others attending ONCE in my life, if I'm lucky, and that would have been probably 15-20 years ago! The Mrs will enjoy visiting the cousins she grew up with, but even though I'm outgoing I KNOW the majority of them have nothing in common with me, so potential to be bored to a stupor within minutes both tomorrow evening and all day Friday :O .  

Planning an early start tomorrow, well, early for MiL/Mrs meaning maybe 8:30 if we're lucky   :jester: so may or may not manage to post before departure time.

Updates will be made as and when it's possible, especially since I'll need to maintain SOME connection with a more sane/real/engaging group - and yes I DO mean RMWeb/ERs!!!

Currently 11 and sunny with an uptick to 23 later

Take the HUMP in stride and head forward towards a weekend everyone...

Edited by Ian Abel

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Andy I can see the battery now, its such a tight fit that you can hardly see where it ends and the computer casing starts, and its only about four inches long. I found the sliders and operated them but the battery still won't come out so its a call to the shop tomorrow. I daren't use a sharp/metalic object to remove the battery. I am running on the battery at the moment and it seems to be OK. When I was in Tesco's earlier I had a quick look in their electrics department, they had a very nice looking laptop in there at £179,  I'm interested as its a light and compact 11" model whereas my current one is 14" and a bit bulky.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

I bought a Gas BBQ from B&Q yesterday it took me 4 hours to put the bl00dy thing together to find the electronic ignitor would not work, I got SWMBO :girldevil:  to call the local store Customer services who were too busy to deal with the complaint would we return the BBQ for exchange Feckwit  :crazy: was told we would have to dismantle it to get it back in the car can't we just bring the small electronics module and switch back the reply was that exchange or refund was the best we could do :banghead: , SWMBO is steaming  :girldevil:  at this time and I'm hiding in the garage :(  she :girldevil:  phones head office and arranges with the CS guy to take just the faulty parts back to the store to get them replace what a waste of space B and Q  :punish: are for not training their staff correctly in customer services, by this time I had dismantled  :butcher: the switch which had been put together wrong and fix the battery holder as it was not capable of holding the battery in place pop it back on and it all worked :dancer: .

Beer O clock I think.

I bought a Gas BBQ from B&Q yesterday.

I've been thinking about and looking at gas grills for a while, but there was no way they were going to fit in my car. I'm not sure that even the box of un-assembled bits would fit.

A hardware chain advertised a Memorial Day* sale on grills - with free assembly and delivery. (Frankly the delivery and assembly was worth more to me than the discount.) That made my mind up.  Having said that, I don't have it yet.

* Which was last weekend.

There's no rush. My 22 year old charcoal kettle still works just fine.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to Andy I can see the battery now, its such a tight fit that you can hardly see where it ends and the computer casing starts, and its only about four inches long. I found the sliders and operated them but the battery still won't come out so its a call to the shop tomorrow. I daren't use a sharp/metalic object to remove the battery. I am running on the battery at the moment and it seems to be OK. When I was in Tesco's earlier I had a quick look in their electrics department, they had a very nice looking laptop in there at £179,  I'm interested as its a light and compact 11" model whereas my current one is 14" and a bit bulky.

Glad you found the battery ok. 

The Acer is ok - I had one a few years back, if memory serves me. 

The price doesn't come with MS office which if you include it in the bundle takes the price to £258.

Ok, you may not need Office, perhaps you do. 

• Like 7

I've been thinking about and looking at gas grills for a while, but there was no way they were going to fit in my car. I'm not sure that even the box of un-assembled bits would fit.

A hardware chain advertised a Memorial Day* sale on grills - with free assembly and delivery. (Frankly the delivery and assembly was worth more to me than the discount.) That made my mind up.  Having said that, I don't have it yet.

* Which was last weekend.

There's no rush. My 22 year old charcoal kettle still works just fine.

What? No truck! That's unamerican.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evenin' all.

Studying today was somewhat tricky with the house being a magnet for all those on half term.

Nevertheless I completed another wadge of the course and got 90% in the practice exam questions.

The pass mark is 50%, so that'll do.

Next part of the course tomorrow then.  

• Like 7

The price doesn't come with MS office which if you include it in the bundle takes the price to £258.

I've been using Apache Open Office for years; it's free and will open MS Office files.

Edit: Tidying up.

Edited by bluebottle

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO), since inception from 2014? and I believe legally to give protection to fill the gap for clubs etc. that did not fully fit the requirements for genuine full charity status but were not true businesses and its benefits for e.g. Model Railway Groups compared to the Ltd Co. model which a large number of clubs are, because of what was 'available' at the time, although not technically businesses.  I am aware of Warley as a CIO but currently no other - possibly because of the limited time that CIO has been around.

Hope I'm not infringing rules of RM or ER by asking.  Thanks.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know about Charitable Incorporated Organisations (CIO), since inception from 2014? and I believe legally to give protection to fill the gap for clubs etc. that did not fully fit the requirements for genuine full charity status but were not true businesses and its benefits for e.g. Model Railway Groups compared to the Ltd Co. model which a large number of clubs are, because of what was 'available' at the time, although not technically businesses.  I am aware of Warley as a CIO but currently no other - possibly because of the limited time that CIO has been around.

Cheers, Peter

I haven't got the faintest idea but don't worry about asking. ERs is a safe place to ask questions! If someone knows you will get an answer! I have had all sorts of answers to queries. Actually my first post to ERs on an earlier version of the forum was how to calculate the cost of running a dehumidifier for Dd after he had a flood.
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Guys,

Cheers, Peter

Peter, this link may be a useful starting place. 

• Like 1

Just home after a very long day. Very tiring but very rewarding teaching fully qualified teachers and the feedback was great as well. This was the first bit of teaching that I've done for nearly four years.

I can confirm that no blackboard rubbers were used or abused (thrown) today.

IanA - I am seriously concerned about you describing ER's as sane.

Time for a quick view of the rest of RMweb.

I may be back later.

Edited by emt_911
  • Like 15

Morning Awl,

Around 6.5 hour sleep last night not too bad,

SWMBO arrives home late on a Tuesday after her weaving group, often when I'm asleep and it's through a member of that group we may be inheriting a Border Collie. Now I've not been left any notes, but when I got in the car this morning the back seat was covered by an old sheet!

Many of you will have been doing several hundred miles an hour on remoulds..... Aircraft tyres are usually remoulded...

Time to...  continue calibrating this weeks major equipment.

Do aircraft have wheel brakes which rely on the tyres?

Yes - not overly happy with remoulds

No - happy as long as they don't burst on crash landing impact touch-down

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I've been using Apache Open Office for years; it's free and will open MS Office files.

Edit: Tidying up.

Gordon: Open Office is no longer actively developed, try Libre Office instead.

PS: Open Office once was Star Office, by Sun (not the news paper!), then open sourced under the Open Office brand. When Sun was bought by Oracle, the new owner decided to cease the open-source-ness of the project and subsequently most (if not all) developers who where fired by Oracle forked OO into Libre Office.

I use Libre Office on my current lap-top so thats the way I'll go with any new one.

• Like 4

:jester: 

IanA - I am seriously concerned about you describing ER's as sane.

Duncan,

Probably a result of my initial frame of reference, "sane" and any other conditions are generally relative to a known reference point, mine is probably therefore biased!! :O  :jester:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andy - a Government website and therefore likely to be correct but a bit long.

Peter

Paul Jones came to see us in Leeds to talk us through the things we need to do ..He then gave a presentation to CMRA members on this area. He was very good and the background of being involved with turning Warley Model Railway Club into a CIO.

Baz

Edited by Barry O