The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Slug patrol went well last night. Salt and beer, always a good mix, was used. Several slugs suffered terminal saltiness. I haven't yet looked in the beer trap. Maybe next doors cat has tried it.

My new pump action water cat dispersal unit has been used. I have never seen anything move quite so fast, both the water and cat. £1.99 for huge fun.

Another sunny day here in sunny Teignmouth. Live music festival at the Ship Inn this weekend, culminating 7pm on Monday.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

Caught up from yesterday, and an odd sort of event which I wanted to relate, bit didn't have time yesterday...

I had a signed for letter which I wasn't expecting a couple of days ago.  Turned out that I was being asked about a possible traffic offence and to declare the driver of a vehicle which I traded in two years ago.  Apparently I am still the last recorded keeper, and the car disappeared into the motor trade via a very reputable dealer.  I left a message for the PC who was dealing with the matter, advising that I had sold the car in part exchange, then put a copy of the purchase invoice for the car and the sales invoice for the new one which also showed the old one as a discount/trade in against the purchase.  As far as I could tell, the car had never been taxed since.  It also didn't have an MOT according to DVLA.

So the PC called me yesterday just to get the facts right, and assured me that as far as I was concerned, the matter was finished.  However, I do wonder at the fact that the paper trail didn't end with the dealer and not me, as I DVLA did confirm that the disposal of the car had been recorded.  The PC was quite interested, as he said that the car had no registered keeper, was not taxed, insured, or MOT'd, and when I told him it was PX'd as a Cat D MOT failure due to a full failure of the ABS which also caused the speedo to fail, he became quite interested, and I suspect that he will be trying to follow the paper trail through the dealer, auction house, etc.

Was all set for an easy day today, but 30747 had other ideas, and the words paint and brush came into the conversation - wow, apparently the porch, back door, and garage window needed to be tarted up.  All done now, and 30747 off to art group. 

Dinner needs to be done now.

Back tomorrow (?)

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Years ago 1997? the police came looking for me, as the car  DVLA had under my name, was used in a robbery. Luckiliy I was in Saudi at the time, On the previous trip home I had traded it in for a new car as it was so unreliable, It broke down on the way to the garage and the garage had to come and collect it and my wife. I was amazed the robbers got away....

This was the second time they came to my house as SWMBOs Ex of some years before was wanted by the police,.... They haven't been visiting lately...

The local weather station to home is reporting 23C, 17MPH SE wind.

Norwich Airport (which I could See if I had a window here is reporting the same

Time to ... do my time sheet , and then go and wreck my back loading another loading...  MRC later...

Afternoon All

Caught up from yesterday, and an odd sort of event which I wanted to relate, bit didn't have time yesterday...

I had a signed for letter which I wasn't expecting a couple of days ago.  Turned out that I was being asked about a possible traffic offence and to declare the driver of a vehicle which I traded in two years ago.  Apparently I am still the last recorded keeper, and the car disappeared into the motor trade via a very reputable dealer.  I left a message for the PC who was dealing with the matter, advising that I had sold the car in part exchange, then put a copy of the purchase invoice for the car and the sales invoice for the new one which also showed the old one as a discount/trade in against the purchase.  As far as I could tell, the car had never been taxed since.  It also didn't have an MOT according to DVLA.

So the PC called me yesterday just to get the facts right, and assured me that as far as I was concerned, the matter was finished.  However, I do wonder at the fact that the paper trail didn't end with the dealer and not me, as I DVLA did confirm that the disposal of the car had been recorded.  The PC was quite interested, as he said that the car had no registered keeper, was not taxed, insured, or MOT'd, and when I told him it was PX'd as a Cat D MOT failure due to a full failure of the ABS which also caused the speedo to fail, he became quite interested, and I suspect that he will be trying to follow the paper trail through the dealer, auction house, etc.

Stewart

Of course - if someone knew it was a write-off, they might have just used/snaffled the plates - sure as little fishes it wouldn't be the first time It may even have become a basis for one of those multi-part, un-insured, east-European, bitzas that involve themselves in "crash for cash" scams - he may well be VERY interested !

Edited by shortliner

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon All

I had a signed for letter which I wasn't expecting a couple of days ago. Turned out that I was being asked about a possible traffic offence and to declare the driver of a vehicle which I traded in two years ago. Apparently I am still the last recorded keeper, and the car disappeared into the motor trade via a very reputable dealer. I left a message for the PC who was dealing with the matter, advising that I had sold the car in part exchange, then put a copy of the purchase invoice for the car and the sales invoice for the new one which also showed the old one as a discount/trade in against the purchase. As far as I could tell, the car had never been taxed since. It also didn't have an MOT according to DVLA.

So the PC called me yesterday just to get the facts right, and assured me that as far as I was concerned, the matter was finished. However, I do wonder at the fact that the paper trail didn't end with the dealer and not me, as I DVLA did confirm that the disposal of the car had been recorded. The PC was quite interested, as he said that the car had no registered keeper, was not taxed, insured, or MOT'd, and when I told him it was PX'd as a Cat D MOT failure due to a full failure of the ABS which also caused the speedo to fail, he became quite interested, and I suspect that he will be trying to follow the paper trail through the dealer, auction house, etc.

Dinner needs to be done now.

Back tomorrow (?)

Regards to All

Stewart

I suspect that the plates from your old car found their way onto another car. Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Aditi got a motoring offence letter a couple of weeks after having the number plates stolen from her car. However she was the person guilty of speeding.

A few years ago we kept getting collection agency letters and post from the DVLA for someone who has never lived here. The house number was ours with an apartment '-A ' appended but the post code was wrong. We kept returning the letters but on 3 occasions we had Bailiffs come to the door to try and collect unpaid parking fines for this person. The final event was when the old bill showed up looking for him with regards to an accident. I pointed out the fact the house number didn't exist and the post code was also incorrect. Never had another letter or knock about him again. 

• RMweb Premium

I had two rites of passage on guitar. The earliest was “Drink to me only with thine eyes..” The second for my Father was “Autumn Leaves” (“Les Feuilles Mortes”). I find it rather difficult to listen to even so long after his death...

EC is working through these beautiful standards as he gets older too (see also “The Folks Who Live on the Hill) - which I frankly prefer):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQlFOX0YKlQ

Must be an age thing both of my folks would sing all these (incl. “Vermont”). 

Is it any wonder we grew up loving all kinds of music?

I’m afraid this is one of my personal prejudices against Islam. If they allowed music they would at least appear more human,,,,

Best, Pete.

Pete I agree about the variety of music that parents in my generation shared with us young ones.

But, while Islam would appear not to allow music try and get to listen to "Bangla Garage"... A bit different but real hoppin music

Baz

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

As you can tell I have returned from the eye clinic. The consultant said my photos were brilliant but to be aware of diabetic degradation. Back to see him in December.

Baz

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Was all set for an easy day today, but 30747 had other ideas, and the words paint and brush came into the conversation - wow, apparently the porch, back door, and garage window needed to be tarted up.  All done now, and 30747 off to art group. 

Art group? 

In that case I assume you told her that she was quite capable of painting them herself.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Art group? 

In that case I assume you told her that she was quite capable of painting them herself.

Regrettably not, as I am a bit taller and to reach the higher spots, I am needed "on the job" and she foots the ladder. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

First lobster spotted on the looooong trip home, her name is Danielle according to the tattoo across her back, the tattoo was the only thing not glowing bright red..

The long trip home was caused by a accident in Wroxham.

When I eventually got to pass, one man ( mid 20s?) sat on a wall, looking pale, looking at the ground and not moving.

One lady sat on the ground ( mid ,40s) with I presume her teenage daughter standing by her. One woman also 40 stood by the front of the lead car.

3 cars involved, all parked half on the pavement, no visible damage. Police car blocking half the road with wpc directing traffic. Hence the name stretching a mile or two each way.

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all,

Glad the 'Newbury fruits' rang a bell for one or two - and it does show our age of course but no one picked up the deliberate error as they were spelt 'Newberry' rather than as in the place name  Anyway six trains were travelled on and all with a gnats quaver of being spot on time,  the retailer Camp Hopson (yes, that really is their name) was duly visited on a search, largely successful, for various items of household line and I duly obtained a copy of MRJ255 from the nearby branch of WHS then we repaired to Bills to await the arrival o the friends we were meeting - and found Bills sell a rather nice 'own brand' cider which is made in Cornwall by Polgoon.  Friends arrived with granddaughter in tow - very much one of the '15 going on 20 year old' generation but a quite a bright girl and I might well be meeting her grandfather at Railex on Sunday.

Very hot weather today and full marks t GWR who were handing out bottled water to passengers waiting on Reading station - a really nice, and welcome, touch and all the better for being totally unexpected.  Interesting device on Newbury station as well although I saw one (but not closely) at Swindon recently - basically a train describer bleed-off and on a small 'puter screen (just a screen, no buttons etc) labelled 'Staff Information' and showing the headcode and position of every train plus the aspects displayed by some signals and routes set from some signals and in Newbury's case covering the route from somewhere east of Theale to just west of Woodborough.  I don't know what use the staff make of it but very interesting and no doubt helpful for 'informed travellers.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Glad the 'Newbury fruits' rang a bell for one or two - and it does show our age of course but no one picked up the deliberate error as they were spelt 'Newberry' rather than as in the place name  Anyway six trains were travelled on and all with a gnats quaver of being spot on time,  the retailer Camp Hopson (yes, that really is their name) was duly visited on a search, largely successful, for various items of household line and I duly obtained a copy of MRJ255 from the nearby branch of WHS then we repaired to Bills to await the arrival o the friends we were meeting - and found Bills sell a rather nice 'own brand' cider which is made in Cornwall by Polgoon.  Friends arrived with granddaughter in tow - very much one of the '15 going on 20 year old' generation but a quite a bright girl and I might well be meeting her grandfather at Railex on Sunday.

Very hot weather today and full marks t GWR who were handing out bottled water to passengers waiting on Reading station - a really nice, and welcome, touch and all the better for being totally unexpected.  Interesting device on Newbury station as well although I saw one (but not closely) at Swindon recently - basically a train describer bleed-off and on a small 'puter screen (just a screen, no buttons etc) labelled 'Staff Information' and showing the headcode and position of every train plus the aspects displayed by some signals and routes set from some signals and in Newbury's case covering the route from somewhere east of Theale to just west of Woodborough.  I don't know what use the staff make of it but very interesting and no doubt helpful for 'informed travellers.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Maybe some of us were too polite to point out the deliberate typo to a senior ER.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Sneaky NHN.  Came home, Mrs NHN came in from work, suggested we go to Raaamsey for an ice cream.  Who am I to say no?  More basking in the sun, and then the shade, watching the two wheeled world go by - TT begins tomorrow.  Still 23c now, and....rain forecast tomorrow.  It would, wouldn't it.

No Ian, not on a bike unfortunately.  Improvement can be felt daily now, but not sure riding a bike will be on the menu for at least another week, or maybe more.

• Like 16

Evening all,

A fair time on my plates today. Strand to the Albert Hall, then back to Oxford Street. All to change a pair of Proms tickets, because HJ didn't fancy a late night concert.

Home, curry consumed and maybe bed soon.

Not sure whom I shall meet at Railex tomorrow, because most ERs seem to be attending on Sunday. Might I espy a tiger?

Keep well all.....Bill

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Temperature is now 25 C., I didn't check it earlier on so it might have been even higher today. My watch strap has just decided to part company with my watch, so its a new strap in the morning. The watch itself is at least 16 years old, its electric but powered by the entire face being a photo electric cell and is still keeping perfect time so no need to change it.

• Like 1

Good morning one and all

The bus company says that it cannot do this because the traffic is too heavy.  Take me at once to Utopia, or at least Switzerland.

Warm thoughts, but not too warm, to all in distress.

Chris 

So, make better availability of public transport and the traffic reduces! How I miss Switzerland, although last year when RMT were on strike, Southern Failways in my region almost emulated a Swiss-style service!

As long as you're not exposing anything else.

Keep those calf muscles (?) out of public view! :jester:

Today was a complete waste of time and fuel. A complete fustercluck. To cap it all, it took me 5 hours to get back home in a van with no aircon.

I believe that I also observed the majority of cockwomble types during both journeys along with multiple organ donors (motorcyclists with no protective clothing on the motorway).

The better part of my day came from an out of the blue phone call from another company in the industry asking if I could send an up to date copy of my CV across to them. What have I got to lose.

RailEx tomorrow for me so I don't have to go anywhere for two whole days.

Back later after seeing what else is happening in RMweb land.

• RMweb Premium

Inspected inside of eyelids before tea.. I can now see properly again!

Yellow Warning for thunder and lightning tomorrow just when we are supposedly starting our cricket match.. Pah!!

Sleep Well - off for a bottle of beer!

Baz

• RMweb Premium

Most cockwomble motorcyclists are now congregating here - TT fortnight.  Overtaken in a 30 limit, outside a school at lunchtime, kids everywhere, across double white lines, by two at about 50 mph today.  Outside of towns here the derestricted sign means that - no 70 limits or whatever - so WHY do these at$eholes feel the need to speed in villages?

And yes, I'm a biker.  I don't speed in 30 limits. Or 40.  Or 50.

• Like 1