The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

A bright sunny morning let's hope it will last.  I have a bit of roof work to do as well as plasterboarding the inside of the porch.

Enjoy your day.

Don

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Another day that has started without rain, mmmm, I wonder how long it will stay that way.

Today my travels take me to Preston, Chorley and finally Blackrod. The first 2 are for collecting contact information, the final is some proper electrical work. The site has the luxury of running water and a toilet, a very rare commodity are our sites, but I also have to get past the electric fence! However, once inside I can put the kettle on and make myself a cup of tea.

Back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Another day that has started without rain, mmmm, I wonder how long it will stay that way.

Today my travels take me to Preston, Chorley and finally Blackrod. The first 2 are for collecting contact information, the final is some proper electrical work. The site has the luxury of running water and a toilet, a very rare commodity are our sites, but I also have to get past the electric fence! However, once inside I can put the kettle on and make myself a cup of tea.

Back later.

Just don't try and straddle the fence it could be painful even though it might be interesting to observe from a distance.

Jamie

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's a bright sunshine here. A quick tour of the estate this morning showed that the Iceberg rose has at least 67 blooms. Rain followed by sunshine should see some real progress with plant growth over the coming days.

I spotted this article in the Daily Fail. It should appeal to many on here - and I wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the "Shed-istas" weren't known to various folk here.  

Everything from Flight Simulators to, who'd have thunk it, model railways.

Plans for the day are to finish a small piece of work and then purchase a cup and funnel plunger and an auger to see if I can fix a slow draining toilet.

Rather wondering if somehow the shower drain is connected to the toilet drain.....'nuff said. Not pleasant. Hopefully fix one, cure the other.  

Have a nice day everyone. 

• RMweb Premium

Off for two weeks now.

Will visit every main railway station on Crete.

DD. Have a great time.  Just don't go off the rails!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Just don't try and straddle the fence it could be painful even though it might be interesting to observe from a distance.Jamie

And certainly don't touch it when you are using those on site facilities.

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It seems to have stopped raining.

Some shopping will be required, milk for us and biscuits for Robbie. I have booked his kennel cough treatment for next week. He will not like me much next Tuesday.

Tony

A pleasant sunny day here in sunny Teignmouth.

Just before bed last night I read a posting and the subsequent postings on FB about people using a shower gel with mint & tea tree oil in it. I was crying with laughter at the comments of people who had used it.

• RMweb Premium

A pleasant sunny day here in sunny Teignmouth.

Just before bed last night I read a posting and the subsequent postings on FB about people using a shower gel with mint & tea tree oil in it. I was crying with laughter at the comments of people who had used it.

Try reading the Amazon reviews of "Sugar free gummy bears" ( the packet says do not eat more than 6 at a time.....)

• Like 1

Morning all, nice day here so far, so some firewood cutting and splitting has been done, next task is to treat the mare's tail in the front grass. Last year I tried putting a collar around it before spraying, but still managed to kill some of the grass as well. This year I have an even more cunning plan. A small paintbrush will be used to directly apply weedkiller, and hopefully not onto the grass.

Mrs G and I went to Whitehaven yesterday to the council offices to hand I n the forms to apply for a postal vote, as we are away we week of the election, and also the week before. We were told that we had missed the first posting, and that the next one would be while we were away the week before. Therefore we will not be able to vote. First time ever! So whatever happens with the election, it is not my fault! I will blame all you lot! :jester:

Edited by Simon G

• RMweb Premium

Morning

I forgot to mention yesterday about the sight I saw on the motorway, it will be with me forever. I was about to overtake a slow moving car, so I glanced in my rear view mirror and noticed a Smart Car was about to pass me, it had quite a large lady driving it. My initial thought was "my god, they've actually manufactured those prescription windscreens" that Billy Connolly had joked about to his father.

How she actually managed the use cars controls I'll never know.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bin day today so the dawn chorus is the bin lorries manouvering in the narrow estate roads. At least four different varieties, land-fill, re-cycling, glass and garden/kitchen. I done a few bits on the shed yesterday and I will have to make a few minor adjustments, the two hooks on which I intended to hang the stepladder will have to be lowered a couple of inches for it to fit. Jamie, I have a half finished Billings Cutty Sark, when I purchased it the hull was finished but the masts and rigging were (and still are) to be done. The reason for purchase was that like many other models in the Billings range it was 1/75 scale, close enough to 00 scale not to matter too much. A visit required to the orange DIY emporium later for a few more bits and pieces that I thought I already had and will most likely find once I have purchased a replacement. Thats it for now, be back later.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 19

• RMweb Gold

Morning all, nice day here so far, so some firewood cutting and splitting has been done, next task is to treat the mare's tail in the front grass. Last year I tried putting a collar around it before spraying, but still managed to kill some of the grass as well. This year I have an even more cunning plan. A small paintbrush will be used to directly apply weedkiller, and hopefully not onto the grass.

Mrs G and I went to Whitehaven yesterday to the council offices to hand I n the forms to apply for a postal vote, as we are away we week of the election, and also the week before. We were told that we had missed the first posting, and that the next one would be while we were away the week before. Therefore we will not be able to vote. First time ever! So whatever happens with the election, it is not my fault! I will blame all you lot!

Is it too late to arrange a proxy vote?
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Is it too late to arrange a proxy vote?

We may actually look in to that.  I suspect that our friends who we would ask will vote the other way to us!

Contact your local registration office and ask their advice.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sherry seems to be caught in a similar dilemma as she will be here for the vote, and has found the date for postal forms being posted to her is unhelpfully after she has left, I think. I'm not sure I'd have the neck to ask someone to vote for me. And if their politics were different from mine, would they do the decent thing and vote my way, knowing I'd never know?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have had a postal vote for years, long before it became the norm, this was because I worked at most elections as a poll clerk. At one time you had to have a very good reason for getting a postal vote such as mine above or serving overseas in the armed forces. Now its a lot easier, I receive a postal vote despite not requiring one since I retired 9 years ago. Postal votes are now renewed automatically unless you wish to go back to voting at the polling station. I would recommend a postal vote to anyone who for any reason may be unable to vote in person.

• Like 2

Morning (just) all,

Funny old day, yesterday. It was the repeat Stroke Club outing to Kew Gardens. Last year's outing was foreshortened by a bridge strike (not us) at Tulse Hill. This year we successfully passed Tulse Hill but the clutch blew just before Clapham Common. Thanks to the gentleman who crossed the South Circular to offer his facilities: getting Nev (vascular dementia) across the South Circular was interesting, luckily I was wearing a hi viz jacket.. The tow truck turned up and announced that the van was too heavy, then taxis for the rest of the members. I left Tony to negotiate another tow and legged it to Clapham South. Underground to South Ken for Prom tickets, no 9 bus to Trafalgar Square to join the National Gallery and get tickets for "Michelangelo & Sebastian" and a no 176 bus to Morley College for my German lesson.

There wasn't a MRJ 155 in Ian Allan.

Home and bed.

Bill

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Bin day today so the dawn chorus is the bin lorries manouvering in the narrow estate roads. At least four different varities, land-fill, re-cycling, glass and garden/kitchen. I done a few bits on the shed yesterday and I will have to make a few minor adjustments, the two hooks on which I intended to hang the stepladder will have to be lowered a couple of inches for it to fit. Jamie, I have a half finished Billings Cutty Sark, when I purchased it the hull was finished but the masts and rigging were (and still are) to be done. The reason for purchase was that like many other models in the Billings range it was 1/75 scale, close enough to 00 scale not to matter too much. A visit required to the orange DIY emporium later for a few more bits and pieces that I thought I already had and will most likely find once I have purchased a replacement. Thats it for now, be back later.

I wish you well with it Phil.  It is  a nice model but the rigging nearly sent me round the bend.   The worst bit was the ratlines which needed tying with clove hitches on each of the shrouds to get them to lie correctly.   I lost track of how many clove hitches I tied using two fine pairs of tweezers but the end result was worth it.  It now needs a bit of tlc 30 years later but I plan to give it some attention in France.  When we moved to this house in 1979 I'd got the hull built and actually brought it here with it on my knees in the front seat of the removal van.  25-5-79.

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208
  • Like 16