The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's overcast here. 

I spent yesterday afternoon sorting out various plumbing issues at mum's place, ranging from a blocked shower and moss-filled gutters to a slow draining toilet. The latter, I've since learnt, may need an improved plunger technique on my part.

I guess after Sunday's pond clearing by hand exercise my nose is immune to some of the blockage material. As a result the BBC has offered me the lead role in their new Sunday evening drama series - "The Night Soil Manager", a tail of a manager not afraid to get his hands dirty.  :jester:

Yesterday the youngest went off for a week away with his classmates. I believe his elder sibling got to about lunchtime before she was "kinda missing him". Of course when he gets back he'll drive her nuts as usual; meantime the house is very quiet.

So, to keep myself busy I've booked an exam, scheduled for this morning. I was planning on spending yesterday revising,whereas swmbo spent the day Hoovering. Practices tests have reached about 75% correct answers, so fingers crossed.

Clematis and roses have been tied in, sweet peas are yet to see growth acceleration.  

Have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

enthusiasm for muddling seems to have been lost. Somehow I will have to try and find it.

As long as it's not under the layout or up on the roof you should be ok.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning.  Very draughty out with showers, looks quite horrid.  This is because I have to go out today, to the first physioterrorism session.  My foot may put in for leave later!

A bit like Q's satellite, our mobile phone signal, which is dodgy at the best of times, disappears completely in spring when the mature sycamore trees at the bottom of our garden leaf up.  Trying to get people to use a land line number is really difficult, folk always use the mobile first.  They mustn't bother about the cost.  Yelling 'use the landline' (down the phone...) repeatedly sometimes works, more often they try the mobile about three hundred times.....#sigh# 

Light breakfast to be consumed, prior to pain giving.

Neil,

Sounds a bit like the current BT advert for their new modem thing - they take it a distance and say how good it is and how you can get a signal throughout the house ... provided you have no walls, rooms and furniture in the house.  I will always use a landline rather than a mobile if one is given but I do wish that the amplifiers to make the sound louder would actually make it loud enough to hear.

Peter

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. I woke up an hour early this morning but half of it seems to have disappeared into the ether, probably because there's no rush. Best of luck with your job application AndyRam, its about time you had some. DD, to save on the baggage allowance have you ever considered a nudist holiday? :scared: :jester: I must admit to having done a bit of nude sunbathing in my yoof. According to the weather reports  its going to stay dry hereabouts today but tomorrow will make up for it with a vengance. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

My first job has now been completed and the kettle has just boiled, so it's time for a cup of tea!

Back later

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Daughter Liz is enroute to England for her sojourn in Lewes. Watch out!!!

I’m worried that she may find it cold (although she is stocked up with “Columbia” foul weather gear).

Best, Pete.

I  first read that as stocked up with Columbian.................

Note to self:  Put on reading glasses first!

• RMweb Premium

Not sure a Greek Island is the best place to practice nudity - I did study the Classics at school and they seemed to have confused ideas of anatomy.

It was on Corfu where I did a bit of nude sunbathing. Me and another guy were with a group of four girls and we found a small isolated beach, the girls immediately stripped off and insisted that we men did the same.

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

I went to a nudist wedding once, and was within half an inch of being Best Man!

I hate using a cellphone as a phone, but must admit when I needed to make a call yesterday in the car, I was surprised when the car stereo simply took over and I found I was talking hands-free. I was parked at the time, and the phone had previously been Bluetoothing YouTube music to the car stereo, but even so. 

• Like 6

It was on Corfu where I did a bit of nude sunbathing. Me and another guy were with a group of four girls and we found a small isolated beach, the girls immediately stripped off and insisted that we men did the same.

No wonder you remember it.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I  first read that as stocked up with Columbian.................

Note to self:  Put on reading glasses first!

Is Colombia the clothing brand US residents now prefer for surviving this side of the Atlantic? Aditi's uncle and aunt from California seemed to have brought a selection with them on their recent trip here. Aunty Sonja does not like being cold.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Packing hint to DD - take 4 shirts and some washing powder (or buy the latter there).  You are then quids in as you not only have one on, one off, and one in the wash, but also one spare - I found Mrs Stationmaster very soon got used to the laundry arrangements when we did the Hurtigruten although we did take a few more than 4 each of the various items of clothing for me.  However  when I did my 'grand tour' back in 2003 I managed with three of everything so that I could devote more luggage space to cameras and lenses - and I still managed a clean set of everything (apart from trousers) everyday - hotel hair driers can be very useful for drying laundry.

Good luck to those approaching their various endeavours and may the metatarsals be good for he who is undergoing physioterrorism.  And why do 'mericans expect it to be cold here?  today we have thin cloud and occasional sunshine, very pleasant, tommorrow we are forecast non-stop precipitation so wet weather gear and/or a good gamp are essential, but no need for cold weather kit - summer hasn't arrived yet.

Enjoy the rest of your day folks. 

• Like 16

Our weather forecast this week:

ext 5 

Next 5 Days
  • TODAY MAY 16

79° /58°F
    Mostly sunny and warmer
  •  
  • WED MAY 17

90° /69°
    Mostly sunny and warmer
    More
  •  
  • THU MAY 18

92° /70°
    Periods of sun; hot and humid
    More
  •  
  • FRI MAY 19

88° /57°
    Remaining warm with sunshine
    More
  •  
  • SAT MAY 20

69° /51°
    Cooler with periods of sun
    More

Bit chilly on Saturday....

Best, Pete.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

... and an aqualung.

Why? if you sink on the broads it's so shallow if you stand on the deck you'll be unlucky if it reaches your knees..

The last time I was at Studland it was with my sisters and an Aunt who was a missionary and a vicar, i believe a future bishop of Norwich.  

Oi you lot  at the back stop making up your own jokes,...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 9

The last time I was at Studland it was with my sisters and an Aunt who was a missionary and a vicar, i believe a future bishop of Norwich.  

Oi you lot  at the back stop making up your own jokes,...

Too late. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Morning.  Very draughty out with showers, looks quite horrid.  This is because I have to go out today, to the first physioterrorism session.  My foot may put in for leave later!

A bit like Q's satellite, our mobile phone signal, which is dodgy at the best of times, disappears completely in spring when the mature sycamore trees at the bottom of our garden leaf up.  Trying to get people to use a land line number is really difficult, folk always use the mobile first.  They mustn't bother about the cost.  Yelling 'use the landline' (down the phone...) repeatedly sometimes works, more often they try the mobile about three hundred times.....#sigh# 

Light breakfast to be consumed, prior to pain giving.

Would it not make sense to turn the mobile off and leave a message on the answering service to say 'Please try the Landline as Mobile service is poor in this area'. At least they would no there is a problem.

Don

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Neil,

Sounds a bit like the current BT advert for their new modem thing - they take it a distance and say how good it is and how you can get a signal throughout the house ... provided you have no walls, rooms and furniture in the house.  I will always use a landline rather than a mobile if one is given but I do wish that the amplifiers to make the sound louder would actually make it loud enough to hear.

Peter

Not quite sure what amplifier you are referring to. If it is your telephone perhaps a new one/ new batteries/ another make/ might improve things. If you suspect the line try a phone that works well on someone else's line and connect it to the terminal closest to the point of entry. If it is no good try disconnecting anything beyond that terminal and try again if still a problem report it as a fault.

Not sure how they control signal levels over fibre optical cables. In the old days we used to 'Line up'  Junction cables to nearby towns as -3DB circuits long distance trunk routes as Best Possibles with amplifiers.

The term Best Possibles may seem odd. Ideally we would have liked 0DB loss or Gain however if there is any gain (often at certain frequency ranges only) the circuit would 'Howl'  or sound 'Boxy'. Howl was when there was sufficient gain so any slight noise would go round the circuit increasing the volume, Boxy was just enough gain to make it sound like a bit of echo had been added. So a Best Possible was usually about -0.5DB. This meant that however long distance the call was the volume was kept to a reasonable level.

Don