The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

We don't hear about Eurovision here. Are there ever any Canadians or Americans in it?

Our afternoon was the HD presentation of Rosenkavalier from the Met. Last performance of Renee Fleming and Elina Garanca in their roles. Wonderful production; I now can't imagine it being done any other way.

• Like 14

We don't hear about Eurovision here. Are there ever any Canadians or Americans in it?

Our afternoon was the HD presentation of Rosenkavalier from the Met. Last performance of Renee Fleming and Elina Garanca in their roles. Wonderful production; I now can't imagine it being done any other way.

Katrina and the Waves won the Contest for the UK in 1997 with Love Shine a Light

• RMweb Gold

Morning

Just stopped raining here and the sun is breaking through the clouds. Does mean that I cant cut the grass this morning.

The car was playing up yesterday. A couple of times it wouldnt start but eventually did after leaving it for a few minutes so need to look at that as it may be the same problem we had before. if it is then its a very simple fix.

Hopefully will get chance to run in my DJM class 71 aswell today. Might even add the detailing bits to '602 Squadron' and weather it as 'Tavistock' is now complete and will be boxed up after another bit of running in on the rolling road.

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Yes, occasionally, Celine Dion represented Switzerland one year.

Yes, occasionally, Celine Dion represented Switzerland one year.

Random useless fact is that she won that year, beating the UK by a single point after we failed to gain a single point from the final jury.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Just got home to find a Premium Bonds £100 "win" warrant on the doormat. The holding it relates to was purchased back in 1990, and this is the first time I've ever won anything with it! Looks like I've got some of today's spending back :mosking:

Actually, maybe not. £100 today is equivalent to £52.66 in 1990....

Just be grateful they didn't send you the £52.66 instead.

Besides, you claim to have blown the budget but whose budget did you blow?

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Oh, in  case some people do not remember Zoot Money - here’s  probably his most famous song of the time (written by two future members of “Heads, Hands and Feet”.

Better than any Eurovision trash.........

Best, Pete.

Thanks for that Pete. That's a good track. I actually saw Heads Hands and Feet in Hyde Park one afternoon they were on the same bill as Humble Pie and Grand Funk Railroad (who were not very good IMHO). Heads Hands and Feet did a great track called Dirty Heavy Weather Road, about driving a comer van over Shap on the old A6 in a snowstorm. It made a slightly homesick northern lad feel good and I've even acquired a copy on vinyl. The day was rounded off by seeing Wishbone Ash in the back room of a pub in Dagenham. Not a bad day. Some of the chord changes in the Zoot Money track sound very similar to those from 'Poet and a One Man Band' and Heads Hands and Feet tracks to my untutored ear.

Anyway after a good nights sleep I'm looking out at a bright and sunny village. Church this morning and then more work in the muddling room this afternoon. I am actually ale to see real progress. The last task will be to sort and clear my muddling desk so that I can actually get something done.

Very glad that the wedding went well John (CB).

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 16

Nope but as those great European nations, Israel and Australia, compete there is no reason why not. Then it would be truly Euro. Just imagine the fixed voting. Russia v the US.

• Like 4

Moaning all from the very sore and tired borough. It's taken a long time but finally all of the concrete in the front has been broken and either loaded into the hippo bag or stacked up to load the next bag to be delivered. Amazing just how much concrete had been laid down over the years. 

post-2818-0-40390200-1494746934_thumb.jpg

This first one shows how thick the concrete was in some spots. The previous owners had kept putting layer upon layer down. Along the house there was a path, then another path slightly wider laid on top, then another thick layer of strange concrete that wasn't mixed properly, then a 2" very hard top layer. At the point in the photo it was nearly 8" thick. No wonder we've filled 4 tonnes of hippo bags with at least a tonne left. 

post-2818-0-64132500-1494747328_thumb.jpg

This is about half the rubble. The area cleared was only 5m by 6m. 

post-2818-0-63640000-1494747449_thumb.jpg

The little Titan breaker sure paid for itself. 

The evening was much less strenuous with drinks at the neighbours and a walk to the local 'spoon en masse for a meal.

Today I shall mostly be bathing in deep heat rub.  

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Moaning all from the very sore and tired borough. It's taken a long time but finally all of the concrete in the front has been broken and either loaded into the hippo bag or stacked up to load the next bag to be delivered. Amazing just how much concrete had been laid down over the years. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2925.JPG

This first one shows how thick the concrete was in some spots. The previous owners had kept putting layer upon layer down. Along the house there was a path, then another path slightly wider laid on top, then another thick layer of strange concrete that wasn't mixed properly, then a 2" very hard top layer. At the point in the photo it was nearly 8" thick. No wonder we've filled 4 tonnes of hippo bags with at least a tonne left. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2926.JPG

This is about half the rubble. The area cleared was only 5m by 6m. 

attachicon.gifIMG_2927.JPG

The little Titan breaker sure paid for itself. 

The evening was much less strenuous with drinks at the neighbours and a walk to the local 'spoon en masse for a meal.

Today I shall mostly be bathing in deep heat rub.

Glad that you've finally got to the bottom of things Andrew.

Jamie

• Like 1

Wet as promised here on 'the drier side of Britain' (our tourist slogan) so off to some nice warm shops.  

Pension day tomorrow so liquidity briefly returns to my account; that's a laugh for an ex-banker - hope I've spelt that correctly..... Oh, I left banking back in 1989 with a very shaky nervous system.....

An eclectic mix this week, Dentist in Gainsborough on Tuesday, Rich Hall at the Embassy, Skegness on Thursday, meeting up with Sister and her new man (she's been widowed twice) on Friday and MOT for Daughter's DS3 in Lincoln on Saturday !

Oh and the garden furniture renovate/paint if the sun ever turns up !

Enjoy your day !

Edited by RhBBob
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

In the top picture pairs, one is sunny, the other is cloudy.

If you think I'm counting sheep in the second pair to see if there's a difference.............

Cheers,

Mick

I never thought of that, I just thought they'd boarded up the signal box windows!

• Like 5

Did anyone see see Michael Mosley's programme on getting better sleep last week. Very interesting and I suspect a good many of us recognise the importance between a decent night's sleep and a better quality mood during the day Apparently Kiwi fruit helps. and (surprise surprise), alcohol doesn't! I've been avoiding overdoing it this weekend and can report a definite improvement.  :D

Grey start, rain overnight, cool, and the garden smells like its a bit happier!  :)

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

References to Andrew's bottom are unhelpful while eating breakfast!

Especially if he's rubbed it in deep heat................

Which brings me onto the sad tale of a room mate whilst I was in basic training at Catterick.

He applied Deep Heat to relief some muscular discomfort and then having gone to bed, managed to transfer it to a certain part of his anatomy.

After the shriek and the frantic rush out of the barrack room, the more curious amongst us ventured into the ablutions to find him on tip toes with the offending part of his anatomy in a sink of cold water.

I never used that sink again!

Edit 

PS it was not GDB!!

Edited by Happy Hippo

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Drizzly start but the clouds are clearing.

I am not sure what we are doing today. I could continue with chucking stuff out from the garage. Fortunately I only need pink or black bin bags not the Hippo Bags Andrew has required.

Tony

• Like 13

Probably not! But the teller of the tale was Peter Cook.........  I never really enjoyed Mars bars before either.

A friend of mine, Mike Vernon (who now lives in Spain - I’ve not seen him in decades) used to sub for Keith Relf when his asthma was too bad.

Is this the Mike Vernon who founded(?) the Blue Horizon record label which gave us the original (and best) Fleetwood Mac and Chicken Shack (with Christine Perfect/McVie) and the UK release of Blues Jam at Chess?

Wonderful stuff.

Zoot Money was one of the first people that Jimi Hendrix jammed with on his arrival in the UK back in September '66. He also jammed with Fairport Convention in early '67 - man, would have loved to have heard that one!

Mal

• Like 15

Just watched " The truth about sleep" most interesting, my symptoms described in the first five minutes. 27 years of shift work, I'm diabetic, Until the last ten years had irregular meal times.

Several things suggested to improve sleep, just ordered pre ( not pro) biotic powder for my first trial...

Yep, I was taken with the pre-biotic powder, too. Which brand did you opt for?

Something else I've taken to using is kefir, a fermented milk drink originally from the Caucasus, which is really good for our stomach flora. Tastes like yoghurt (edited to add - we buy ours from an organic deli in town)

Here's to good wind!

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all and it's a sunny one here. 

Hanging baskets are starting to bulk up with the recent warmer weather. Resisting putting them up yet as a month in the greenhouse pays dividends. We ended up with displays more akin to the front of a pub last year. Some might say that would help me navigate home.  :jester:

Yesterday, as pondered, I took a jigsaw to the layout and cut the branch line; all very Beechingesque, but simpler is often better. 

After completely messing up my new mobile phone the new provider has reconnected it. A flood of texts and phone messages suddenly didn't appear. I may send an experimental text message later  :)

Off for a wander around to research a loco that could be added to my b'day wishlist. I may be sometime. 

• Like 3