The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning all. A dull start to the day and that includes me. A great nights sleep but feel totally exhausted now.

CB - I hope that the day goes to plan.

Time for another coffee.

Have a good day everyone.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning awl,

Much snow produced at the MRC last night, many layers of hard packed snow with PVA between under weights. Next week more loose snow to be produced making slopes. Some new adjustable catches for board connection arrived all the way from China. Ten for the price of one in the UK.

I took 4 picture frames, for small posters for the club walls, but couldn't find the posters. Got home to find SWMBO found a tube of posters and had put it somewhere safe....

I must have brought them home to fit them here, my short term memory is getting worse....

Todays plan,

off down to the sailing club to work on the motorboat, dewinterize the generator, refit the pulpit rail, having already filled previously damaged holes, clean off the winters accumulated green slime.

The boat is diesel electric, solar panels, generator for long trips, and when I've fitted it shore power connections to use the electric pillars around the broads to recharge the batteries. Half way through the year and I'm only now dewinterizing, when a replacement generator would cost £10,000 you can't afford to risk of freezing the raw water circuit.

Time for breakfast. I'm departing in 30 minutes...

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a nice and bright village. After yesterdays excursion a relatively quiet day is on the cards. Some letters to get to the post this morning then some more tidying in the muddling room.

Hope that the wedding goes well John.

Jamie

• Like 4

Did you know that Julie used to run The Yardbirds fan club?

No idea at all! Did she have that haircut then, though?

If I recall correctly, TV chef Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall's mum, Jane, used to run a band fan-club but I can't remember which one.

Hope the wedding is wonderful, John (CB), and that your camera works well.

Wet here just now and waiting in for a tiler before doing some shopping.

Have a good day

Mal

Edited by Purley Oaks
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chairs delivered, breakfast eaten, tea drunk and now just waiting for the plasterer to turn up now. As you can see my computer has not been hacked but I have no idea what would have happened to my old computer that was on Windows XP. Apparently the NHS was not specifically targeted, the problem is worldwide. I hope they identify the perpetrators and put them away for a long time. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 3

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Chairs delivered, breakfast eaten, tea drunk and now just waiting for the plasterer to turn up now. As you can see my computer has not been hacked but I have no idea what would have happened to my old computer that was on Windows XP. Apparently the NHS was not specifically targeted, the problem is worldwide. I hope they identify the perpetrators and put them away for a long time. Thats it for now, be back later.

lets hope the right plasterer turns up and it isnt the one from orthopaedics that has received the wrong email

Panic mode still in operation - an uncooperative hotel (which had already been paid for) and sensitive alarm systems making for a trek through two counties.

We do still have time.

But this is a once and only.

Stress levels raised. Made sure I've than the blood pressure tablets.

If anything else is happening in the world, at the moment I'm oblivious.

• RMweb Gold

Sounds like a doddle for someone who perhaps diagrammed railway movements for a living ;)

And so long as the trains run on time (no leaves on the line or undercut embankments, or failing ticket systems) all is well.

In fact some of the trains didn't run on time - the ICE from Leipzig to Munich (enroute Dresden to Jenbach) was over 40 minutes late so missed the connection  in Munich which required a bit of German as the connecting train was a reserved seat/supplement job and that had to be transferred to the next train) and my train from Berne was diverted due to engineering work and crossed the border into Germany 16 late which was a bit hairy as I had a 14 minute connection ahead of me; I made that with 8 minutes to spare :O 

But as with all these things the ideal answer is to have Plan B in mind should Plan A hit problems thus the first time I tried the 'grand tour' (with young Rob in tow) my mother was taken seriously ill and we had to return from Mulhouse instead of carrying on into Italy - that involved 42 minutes in Paris to get between stations (no problem, Gare De L'Est to Gare du Nord is easy if you know the way) and to change Bruxelles - London Eurostar tickets into Paris - London Eurostar tickets.  Not only did we actually make that particular Eurostar but because of some sort of special offer we got both the changed tickets and a cash refund of about 15 Euros.    Sometimes alternatives can't be planned but always a good idea to have the routes firmly in mind.

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Mornin' all, and it's light cloud here today with sunshine breaking through.

Damp dusting and bathroom cleaned whilst swmbo is out - she was assuming she'd be doing it later. Hoping for a brownie point to be awarded. 

Just a brief update on yesterday's interview. It went well and funnily the things they didn't ask for (2nd language) were of enormous interest. 

Bottom line is after psychometric testing and a formal interview I'm still on the short list (instant feedback). Not sure what else they can do or test, most likely just compare me with other candidates. 

Should hear back one way or another in a few weeks. 

Meanwhile in the process of porting my old mobile number to my new phone, Tesco managed to both port it and disconnect the number completely. IT talent at its best. Not. 

Off out to inspect the clematis and sweet peas. 

Have a nice day everyone. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all

ERs became a difficult area yesterday, as someone had posted a large number of pictures in one contribution, and it was impossible to read or write anything for several minutes because the page just kept jumping. Please spare a thought for those of us with slower download speeds. Some of us post the odd pic or two now and again, although many never do, but multiple pics are a real pain. 

In the days when my job meant I was entitled to free continental rail travel - once per annum - I would procure a ticket that went from London to Vienna via Switzerland and back via Germany. It covered a multitude of journeys very well. I was seldom away for more than a few days because the money ran out! Since then, Deb and I seldom went anywhere on holiday except by car, so I just threw in a few clothes and a sponge bag. Packing for this holiday will be a most unfamiliar experience - suitcase? Never really owned one! At least we've managed to avoid air travel - I'm entirely confident the plane will land safely, but so resent the awful lead times before take-off. Why everyone puts up with it I have no idea.

Bride and groom jittery before the big day? The night before both weddings I have dined and slept with the bride!

A girl in my year at skool became a minor actress, bit-parts in The Bill etc, before replacing Cyril Smith as MP for Rochdale, then becoming an MEP.

A bale of straw is being delivered this afternoon, which may perk Martin up a bit, as he seems rather listless at present, which is not nice. He was eating hay as well as grass, but has lost interest in that, and straw seems to be part of the staple diet. We'll see.

Sorry to note a couple of ERs have had tumbling misfortunes - but it is good that BlackRat is already as up and about as he is! Clearly the op has been a success - great! 

Hope your weekend going well.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

A'noon.

Been all the way down south for lunch. Port St Mary you know, reallllly long way.

Great Rail Journeys wasn't a gricer-fest, more of a rail holiday, but as time went on more people came 'out' as enthusiasts in a greater or lesser way.  There was only two of us at the start, rather more at the end!  One lady of a certain age really got into it....as a photography subject really, but she really understood the draw.  I don't think she had perhaps travelled by rail other then half an hour in a horrid DMU in her life previously.  The Glacier Express changed all that!

Weather has broken today after almost three glorious weeks here, showery and windy today with a mere 14c. Everywhere is very dry, so the rain is needed.  The Sulby river is as dry as I have ever seen it.  When the tide was out yesterday evening, you could have walked across.

• Like 14

A rare occasion today where all the planned work was finished ahead of schedule. Unfortunately the traffic for the journey home wasn't as accommodating.

Time to inspect the eyelids.

Back later

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Projected work on boat carried out, further work was considered, but a headache was coming on., watched of today's single hander races while working on the boat, crews aged 8 to 60!!

Stopped off on the way home and collected 10 free bags of rubarb growing medium ( horsey droppings). Unfortunately the back door lock on the landrover broke at that point and I had to crawl through to open it from the inside.

Now at home resting my back and head, dinner is on its way( pasty and chips)

Time to look on line for replacement door lock barrels ( landrover)