The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Brian Auger and the Trinity's version of This Wheel's On Fire just on R2 now. What a fab haircut Julie Driscoll had - shame we don't see that about today.tope your Friday evenings go well

Mal

Did you know that Julie used to run The Yardbirds fan club?

It’s a good job Sherry did not marry me. I like trains a lot but am particularly interested in railway trackage. I just don’t like traveling by them. I must be an oddity on ER..... I must admit, though, a hankering for converting a Container into living quarters so I could travel over the rails of America in the more remote locations. I think maybe I just hate fellow passengers.

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 4

Our Swizzerland trip was with Great Rail Journeys, and as Mike says, was led by a retired scots railwayman called.....Ian!  Nice feller, involved in preservation too.  Highly recommended firm, we had a great time, but the age demographic was.....rather older than us ( I was 50 at the time - hell, 8 years ago!) - a lot!  Despite the information clearly saying you were responsible for porting your own luggage, several on the tour were standing about waiting for help - and looking at us.  Toughers, we had our own to carry.  This arose from time to time, a few gentle words were had by Ian with a few of them, he was very discrete.  We were less so - on a 'free' day we realised several were following us as 'we knew what we were doing' so we did a couple of very quick platform changes!  One couple followed us to Dumpo Domodossola in Italy, then asked us 'why we were there -what's on?'......Trainspotting.....nearly died laughing at their faces.

I gave up on GRJ and moved to Ffestiniog instead. Much better tours with knowledgeable leaders

Evening all,

Now I see Ashers has hatched a very complicated plot plan with her holimoon plans for herself and Ian as she has no doubt sussed that 'Great Rail Journeys' (once known, long ago, as Mac's Tours) recruits its couriers from the ranks of retired railway staff, often of the more senior variety.  Thus Ian will find that he probably knows, or at least knew someone who knows, their courier/'group leader' and the recruitment process will be set in chain thus ensuring reduced price holidays for years to come; truly clever stuff there Ashers.  And an excellent itinerary too although I've not done the Selketal Bahn but have been to most of the other places on the list.  Wernigerode is a smashing little town and the ride up to the Brocken is most enjoyable and I can thoroughly recommend the chair lift ride up from Boppard that is mentioned in the link.

Enjoy the evening everybody.

attachicon.gifgtd01 040903 020.jpg

Since I've known "Mac's Tours", they've recruited from a much wider field; I even had an interview with them!

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Thanks Mal.  Just 'walked' 800 yards on two crutches - foot's killing now but that is how it goes, apparently! No pain, no gain, but don't do too much pain!  Its getting the seized ligaments and atrophied muscles working again that is the problem, as well as the metalwork's input.

Your worship JD, yes I'm sure I am, the bits are titanium apparently.  Don't know how that will go with airport scanners though!

Hi Neil,

It will 'set the bells going' so it is now common practice to let them know beforehand as I understand (pun not intended) it.

• Like 8

• RMweb Gold

Thanks a question I asked of my two granddaughters, the odd coloured socks that is. The truth came from mother, my daughter, she couldn't be bothered to pair up socks and it seems neither could they. The biscuit was taken by number 1 granddaughter when a pair high boots (read "baseball boots" here) had to be chosen and she asked for two pairs, one red and one black so as she could wear different colours! 

Bring back National Service says I!

Yes, that's kids today - you see it everywhere.

• Like 3

Report from Panicland.

Pre-jitters from both Bride and Groom - solved by SWMBO who has just returned home.

Reception room set up, just some to do in the morning.

About to feed SWMBO with late, late pie and chips from closing chippy - and poor some gin and tonic down here.

Snores are expected sooner rather than later.

My corner of Coombe Barton Towers is a repository of peace and tranquility, he lied.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

As I "see" left and right backwards different coloured socks seem like a good idea, just have to remember to put them on the right feet!

No, no, no! The left sock must go on the left foot. How often did I tell you this?

• RMweb Premium

The wine was good, the company was great!

Goodnight all

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Got to be an ER tomorrow morning. There is a local event taking place in the town and the model railway club is participating. It was mentioned at clubnight that some chairs would be required so I mentioned that I had three folding picnic chairs that I intended to donate to a local charity shop. The charity concerned, a local hospice, will also have a stand there so the arrangement is for the chairs to be used then handed over to the charity. I will not be there myself however as I'm getting plastered. The set up time is 8 o'clock so I will have to deliver the chairs to the clubroom by about 07:30 then get home before 9 to let the plasterer in.

Edited by PhilJ W

• RMweb Premium

Is that a new brand of butchers?

Oh, you meant Fleischmann ;)

There is one club that I belong two whose family name was Fleischmann. His father decided to anglicise it and the poor unfortunate has had to go through life with the surname of ....wait for it.... Flasher.

Anyway I've got back safely from my jaunt south. Many trains spotted, a good lunch was had and all in all a good day. Beth is out somewhere picking up a friend who has just arrived from France by Plane to Manchester then train to Dewsbury. No doubt she will re appear soon.

John (CB) I do hope that the day goes well for all of you.

Jamie

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

I came across a Great rail Journeys group in the place I stopped in for a couple of nights in Jenbach during my 'grand tour'.  Their group leader seemed to be a bit of a nit because when he asked me what my itinerary was he looked at me in some sort of awe and asked if I'd arranged it all on my own and seemed amazed when I confirmed that I had.  

I couldn't understand his surprise as I thought (flight to Lubeck and then all travel by train) Lubeck- Wernigerode, stay 2 nights and do the Brocken; Wernigerode to Dresden, stay two nights and do various n.g and standard gauge lines; Dresden to Jenbach; stay two nights and do two n.g lines and a bit of standard gauge; Jenbach to Tirano, stay two nights and get in a lot of the RhB;  Tirano to Hergiswil, stay two nights and do two n.g linest; Hergiswil to Berne by train and lake steamer, stay overnight, and finally Berne - Koln - Brussel - London - Reading was all perfectly straightforward and merely needed a little bit of forethought and planning.  

However what GRJ basically do (and always have done) is rail travel based holidays and tours rather than cranking trips although nowadays they go much further afield so air journeys are involved as well.

And with that - g'night all.

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 14

My favourite road running shoes in the seventies were Adidas Gazelles. My left foot is slightly smaller than the right, but I found that Gazelles varied a little in size (perhaps because they had leather uppers rather than the nylon ones that were then a recent introduction). I considered that it was worthwhile paying top dollar for my shoes from the Edinburgh branch of Lillywhite Frowd, as they would let me try on as many pairs nominally the same size as I liked. I could then choose the best fitting left and right shoes from different boxes. I don't know whether any other runners did the same, or if I caused problems for some, though I managed to harden my heart towards those.

• Like 8

... (flight to Lubeck and then all travel by train) Lubeck- Wernigerode, stay 2 nights and 

do the Brocken; Wernigerode to Dresden, stay two nights and

do various n.g and standard gauge lines; Dresden to Jenbach; stay two nights and

do two n.g lines and a bit of standard gauge; Jenbach to Tirano, stay two nights and

get in a lot of the RhB;  Tirano to Hergiswil, stay two nights and

do two n.g linest; Hergiswil to Berne by train and lake steamer, stay overnight, and

finally Berne - Koln - Brussel - London - Reading

Sounds like a doddle for someone who perhaps diagrammed railway movements for a living ;)

And so long as the trains run on time (no leaves on the line or undercut embankments, or failing ticket systems) all is well.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 11

Sounds like a doddle for someone who perhaps diagrammed railway movements for a living ;)

And so long as the trains run on time (no leaves on the line or undercut embankments, or failing ticket systems) all is well.

Not to mention the wrong snow. (In fairness the Inuit do think there are many types of snow)

• Like 9

Not to mention the wrong snow. (In fairness the Inuit do think there are many types of snow)

That list doesn't mention 'yellow snow which should not to be eaten'.

Edited by pH

Out ofcuriosity, how do they recognise:

tronkyin        last snow of the year

You can just imagine the conversation: "Hey, that's tronkyin; no, wait, there's more coming!" :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and dull at the moment and some rain or drizzle is possible but hopefully brightening up later.

Up earlyish for a Saturday as I'm doing a little taxi job and ferrying son Steve and a workmate to Morden Tube station shortly.

Not a lot else planned except re-potting some tomato plants and checking for signs of cats. None spotted last night but that doesn't mean a thing, this lot are crafty.

This means there should be time to muddle but what's the betting something or someone will scupper that idea.

Later on there is the small matter of watching Saracens take on Clermont Auvergne in the Europeans Champions Cup Final. Could be a great game.

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 18