The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Very versatile actor. He was in some of the Roddy Doyle Trilogy films.

He also starred as Thomas 'Doc' Durant in the US series 'Hell on Wheels' and stars with Timothy Spall in the film 'The Journey'.

Spall plays the Revd Ian Paisley (senior), and Meaney plays Martin McGuinness.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Watched one really great game of rugby earlier Northampton v Quins

Funnily enough I was driving past the Northampton ground at 1545 and the crowds still going in for the 1600 kick off.

I had just recovered the Obergrumpenfuhrer from one of her Girlguiding training events. I'd dropped her off this morning and then carried on over to Rushden for the local model railway show.  I did consider the trek up to Derby, but didn't trust the traffic on the M1 to get me there and back in time.

It was a nice little show and the only fright my wallet had was at the Booklaw stand.  I also managed to win a number of articles more suited to ladies at the tombola stand.

Edit for lack of capital letters

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Cricket umpired ... now defrosted.. but boy that wind was thin!

Sleep well all... I need a drink and something to eat..

Baz

PS I once met the Rev I Paisley in the British Midland lounge in T1 at Heathrow. He was a big man, but very quiet and kept himself to himself.

Colm Meaney was quite convincing as Don Revie, as was Michael Sheen as Brian Clough, in "The Damned United".

If James Doohan had been able to do a proper Linlithgow accent as Scotty, I doubt that our Transatlantic brethren, being used to generic "Scots accents", would have understood a word!

Edited by bluebottle
  • Like 6

• RMweb Premium

A very enjoyable evening spent with Sheila and a bottle of red, it doesn't get much better than that.

Goodnight all

• Like 18

A productive day of modelling. Lots of kits ready for spraying. I just need a couple of hours of decent weather to complete it.

Totally shattered now.

Night all.

• Like 14

He also starred as Thomas 'Doc' Durant in the US series 'Hell on Wheels' and stars with Timothy Spall in the film 'The Journey'.

Spall plays the Revd Ian Paisley (senior), and Meaney plays Martin McGuinness.

Will an "actor"voice the part of Gerry Adams?

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Had a thoroughly good day at Reading met a lot of friends but missed seeing Mike.

Bob Harper let me work Maristow for a bit I really do like that layout and working the proper interlocked lever frame.

Bought the Ruabon to Barmouth book from Ian at Lightmoor. As far as Dolgelly was concerned very little on pre-grouping days and what there was mostly wrong. I really must right up what I discovered with the help of Mike for the WRRC.

I have seen Indian hills before a lovely layout. Most taken with Hambleden a terminus to fiddle yard in 16mm all worked with live steam locos. Also very impressed with what Roy Wood is doing build a 16mm chassis for a Diesel Electric using a tiny 4 stroke engine.

Some lovely layout including a G3 cameo, a new S layout from Trevor Nunn, 

A number of friends from the Isle of Wight were there, a great crowd but do like taking the Micky so I got a bit of stick about my article in the Modeller.

Don

• Like 15

Colm Meaney was quite convincing as Don Revie, as was Michael Sheen as Brian Clough, in "The Damned United".

If James Doohan had been able to do a proper Linlithgow accent as Scotty, I doubt that our Transatlantic brethren, being used to generic "Scots accents", would have understood a word!

But not as bad as Taysiders.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Khrpy4V0-U4

• Like 7

The drone motor arrived.

post-25691-0-65687500-1494132071.jpg

Almost fits between these 00 Romfords.

post-25691-0-52479600-1494132099.jpg

This is what you get. The bit with the twelve neodymium magnets rotates around the nine winding segments.

This one is probably a bit too big, but it's pretty close. The winding wire is probably too thick too. Works a bit like a synchronous 3-phase motor. I'm thinking you would want at least two of them on the axles of a steam outline locomotive.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

If James Doohan had been able to do a proper Linlithgow accent as Scotty, I doubt that our Transatlantic brethren, being used to generic "Scots accents", would have understood a word![/size]

I'd agree with that, I have problems understanding my great niece from just over the hill to the north.

Morning awl, about six hours sleep last night in several bits.

The sun is streaming in the north windows.

My back is still painful a couple of ibuprophen will be consumed with breakfast.

Time for said breakfast, before setting out with paper and a box of matches for the bonfire.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

It isn't raining and doesn't seem that cold. I thought Robbie had barked to indicate he would like to go out but I must have been dreaming. He was fast asleep when I went down. However he didn't object to going out to the garden.

I shall continue to potter about between sheds and garage today. Aditi said her Mum would like to go to a garden centre today. She doesn't have a garden but I think it is one of those garden centres that has other attractions like tea rooms. MiL was disappointed to learn that Aditi was only staying until Tuesday when Aditi's sister returns from her trip to Germany. MiL thought she would be there all week!

Tony

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Had a thoroughly good day at Reading met a lot of friends but missed seeing Mike.

Bob Harper let me work Maristow for a bit I really do like that layout and working the proper interlocked lever frame.

Bought the Ruabon to Barmouth book from Ian at Lightmoor. As far as Dolgelly was concerned very little on pre-grouping days and what there was mostly wrong. I really must right up what I discovered with the help of Mike for the WRRC.

I have seen Indian hills before a lovely layout. Most taken with Hambleden a terminus to fiddle yard in 16mm all worked with live steam locos. Also very impressed with what Roy Wood is doing build a 16mm chassis for a Diesel Electric using a tiny 4 stroke engine.

Some lovely layout including a G3 cameo, a new S layout from Trevor Nunn, 

A number of friends from the Isle of Wight were there, a great crowd but do like taking the Micky so I got a bit of stick about my article in the Modeller.

Don

Fwiw Indian Hills was originally owned by Rob Bennett (of Busybodies fame) to display his ever increasing fleet of Darj inspired stock

We lived fairly close to each other, and I built all  the pointwork for him. Iirc the one side of IH had conventional turnouts whilst the other had stub switches based on American practice.

Construction was with Tenmille .215" high brass rail spiked to wooden sleepers using gimp pins/round headed tacks.  These days we could have used proper dog spikes.

Over the years IH got extended somewhat.  After Rob moved up into 7/8ths and 1:12 scales, IH passed to John Sowerby who was very active with the East Surrey group of the 16mm Assn prior to his move to N Wales.

I believe IH is now owned by the East Surrey Group.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, still evening to Rick (I think)ladies game today, 40 overs a side.

Generally the games are OK but can get a bit "wordy" so need to be on my tires today.

I read the overview of the new law changes one of which (byes and leg byes off a no ball) proves that they don't understand how a score book is completed by a Scorer. Perhaps those involved should have asked?

Have a good day today everyone!

Baz

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Another grey start here and there is the chance of a spot of light rain but it may stay dry with some sunny and warm spells.

I will be doing a bit more gardening today providing my back and knee loosen up enough. No heavy work though. I did treat them with Calvados last night so that took away the rest of the pain.   :yes: 

It being Sunday nothing will happen until a goodly portion of eggs, bacon etc have passed my lips. I've taken tea up to The Boss in the hope that this will spur her into action in "her" kitchen. I'm quite capable of cooking my own breakfast but she prefers me not to.  :nono: Something about making too much mess. I don't really and if I did I'd clear it up but who am I to argue.  :dontknow:

Watched  Wasps v Sarries match last night and it was another good game. Just  the semi finals and final to go now for this season but then there are the Lions and also England tours to look forward to.

I also need to venture into the railway room. I've avoided ducking under the layout for a couple of days in case of doing more brain damage but the risk will have to be taken. :locomotive:

Have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 3

Grey start here in North Yorks as well, what's that about, it's supposed to be Sun-day! I mean, it did come out last thing yesterday and shone brightly on us just before if turned in for the night, AND the forecast did show it brighter today than yesterday, and less cold (brrrr it was REALLY chilly here yesterday)! 

Planning to get the bow out and head down to the archery range at some time, just need some more coffee and to work on the enthusiasm levels a bit. (7.30am)

Edit - Just been outside to let the hens out (we've only got two - they're sort of pets, but we do like fresh eggs), and it's definitely warmer, but I did detect some light drizzle in the air. No, no no no, :no:  we want brighter,not wetter, come on, you can do it weather!  :yes: (9.30 am)

Final edit - managed a couple of hours' archery this morning, though the sun failed to put in an appearance, it got steadily colder, and we had a small amount of drizzle. Though I did a lot of shivering and generally froze my cods off, I did pick up a very helpful piece of advice, which has already started to improve my performance, so I am well pleased overall. That North-Easterly breeze however, felt like it had come 'straight off the Urals', as Rigsby once put it in an episode of Rising Damp! (4.30pm)

Edited by Dick Turpin
  • Like 6