The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I voted last week by post, we have a new councillor I am certain as the previous councillor was UKIP. I have been informed that the plasterer won't be able to do the job until next week so a slight adjustment of the calendar will be required. The rumtopf sounds good, perhaps we could open up a recipe thread on Wheeltappers?

• Like 5

... where sarcoidosis comes from hasn't really been properly researched.

All I've ever gotten on the subject was vague ramblings about it being an auto-immune disease that no one knows very much about.

There can be serious complications when it presents in the lungs or eyes, but steroids seem to to do a good job of knocking it into remission. They of course have their own side effects - like weight gain, 'roid-rage' and steroid-induced diabetes, all of which I experienced.

Good luck with your treatment regime, if that is the final diagnosis.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

All I've ever gotten on the subject was vague ramblings about it being an auto-immune disease that no one knows very much about....

Well, that's just it. Even the consultant was saying that he doesn't really know where it comes from, but he did dredge up a statistic from the aftermath of the 9/11 World Trade Centre towers collapse which suggested that most of the emergency services who went on duty in the affected zone developed sarcoidosis. On that basis, I understand at least one cause to be dust.

The endoscopy consultant proclaims himself "99.5% sure" it's sarcoidosis. But where sarcoidosis comes from hasn't really been properly researched.

I'll tell you what, though. That sedation cocktail was wonderful.

Ivan,

Hardly great news - but the alternatives are far worse.

Bill

The ironies of slaveholders wanting "liberty" is not lost on me. Virtually all of the southern so-called "founding fathers" owned slaves, including Washington, Jefferson, Madison and Monroe - three of the first four Presidents.  American history is inextricably linked to racism and slavery.

But let's not forget the Plymouth and Bristol slave trades. Curiously the Royal African Company used as it's armorial device the Elephant And Castle. While the origins of name of the south London district appear to predate the Royal African Company it is interesting to see that motif used by both.

Whilst on the subject of slaves. Do not forget the Barbary pirates that raided countries up and around the North Sea and captured thousands of sons, husbands and brothers from coastal villages. The majority of these males never returned home to their families and died in North Africa were they had been put to use building fortifications amongst other things.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I voted last week by post, we have a new councillor I am certain as the previous councillor was UKIP. I have been informed that the plasterer won't be able to do the job until next week so a slight adjustment of the calendar will be required. The rumtopf sounds good, perhaps we could open up a recipe thread on Wheeltappers?

I graduated from Rum to doing the same with brandy, vodka and gin.....not at the same time though.

We bought our rumtopf when serving with BAOR, back in 1984 or 1985 so they have been around for quite some time

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

You don't get this with Management speak; after all there are no such things as issues, only opportunities ;)

I got a nasty look from my boss when I mentioned an insoluble opportunity

Don

• RMweb Gold

Whilst on the subject of slaves. Do not forget the Barbary pirates that raided countries up and around the North Sea and captured thousands of sons, husbands and brothers from coastal villages. The majority of these males never returned home to their families and died in North Africa were they had been put to use building fortifications amongst other things.

Slaves were around a lot earlier than that certainly BC. Think Egyptians and Romans to name but two.

Although they do not like to admit it, Native African leaders were complicate in the trade of what are now termed African Americans

• RMweb Premium

. On that basis, I understand at least one cause to be dust.

Which could  possibly come from straw and hay that you probably are handling with the

equine companion ?

Edited by Sidecar Racer
  • Like 2

The majority of these males never returned home to their families and died in North Africa were they had been put to use building fortifications amongst other things.

... like rowing galleys.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

I graduated from Rum to doing the same with brandy, vodka and gin.....not at the same time though.

We bought our rumtopf when serving with BAOR, back in 1984 or 1985 so they have been around for quite some time

Hamburg 82. (It's not a football team or club on the Reeperbahn, it's the year I bought it) Edited by lightengine
  • Like 7

No shows for me tomorrow as I need to replenish the modelling tokens.

A day of modelling of some sort depending on the weather planned for tomorrow.

Night all

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Brian - what's your earth loop impedance like? TWO RCD's not working....really?......do you have an effective earth, or have the water board replaced the pipes with plastic......

My last earth loop reading was 0.13 ohms. Both RCD sockets were salvaged from work when refurbishing sites so were definitely not new when I got them. They both failed to trip when pressing the test button, one failed a few months ago, but as I could use the other socket I delayed buying a replacement. But when the second one failed, I thought it best to replace them ASAP. The new ones both work fine, I'll complete a proper test, using an RCD tester when mine comes back from its annual recalibration test.

Goodnight all.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

I did my good deed and met Aditi at the station at 23.50. Most of the West Ham supporters had been on the previous 2 trains. The pleasant security chap was on hand to help those confused by the ticket barriers. The confused had tickets but couldn't cope with those barriers set for entry rather than their desired exit.

Aditi really enjoyed the ballet, it was Mayerling. The music was by Liszt.

Aditi is off to Enfield in the morning . I need to do some shopping for Robbie, so a trip to Pitsea. It would appear that a model railway club based in Billericay are holding an exhibition (their first) so I may pop along to that.

Good night all.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S
  • Like 19

• RMweb Premium

"Any colour so long as it's black" springs to mind!

My father told me that Ford actually provided a number of shades of black. I don't think blackberry black was included, but that's the idea.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

Another night of only 5 hours sleep, though time shifted an hour later due to my attendance at the MRC.

One of these days I'll remember to take a camera to record my progress. Once I removed some surface scenery and a tunnel mouth it looked like the orignal builder of the layout had modelled a bomb shelter!!! Layers on layers of Sundela, 6 deep in some places, using a multicutter and a jigsaw I removed all that wasn't under the track bed. This will be replaced by a polystyrene removable tunnel cover. Several club members retired to the tea bar while I was doing this, the multicutter is noisy!!!

Today I'm hoping to lay some concrete, extending the raised patio, how my back will take this I don't know. With the wind in the right direction another bonfire will also be burnt, clearing old cardboard boxes, that hopefully will ignite a huge pile of twiggy bits from tree clearing.

Relevant to some on here, on the BBC film review, They are reviewing on TV a film made on the I.O.M. which it appears is funny and they enjoyed it. It's called Mindhorn.

It must be 35 years since I've been to a cinema, and I've only ever been to one half a dozen times. Living most of my life in countryside, at one point 4 hours travelling time in the UK to a cinema, they've never been a real part of my life.

Time for breakfast....

Edited by TheQ
  • Like 1