The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I think it's this one by the Federal Railroad Administration. There is no specific mention of the cargo that I could see.

I don't know exactly who has jurisdiction, but I think NTSB only gets involved when there are injuries to people.

Thanks! That must be it. It seems the track buckled because of the high temperatures. Might be a bit sketchy about how to prevent a recurrence.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I guess that would just have been 'regular' spillage from hopper cars. The railways are more thorough about cleaning up after derailments than they used to be. Spilled grain was just left on the ground. The problem was that it would then ferment and wildlife eating it would actually get drunk. Drunken chipmunks may be OK, but drunken grizzlies? - not so much.

It is not so much when the grizzly is drunk that would bother me it when it falls asleep in your back yard and wakes up with a hangover!

Don

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

I sit in splendid isolation in Wetherspoon's in Torquay, drinking Doombar and eating today's special, which is some sort of pulled-pork burger and chips. Hmmm.....

Today has been trip to London day, buying my Eurostar ticket for returning next week. Sherry has had commitments too, so we haven't missed that much of each other, really. After St Pancreas I went across to Victoria. Almost 40 years ago, the Central timetable was completely recast to serve the great Gatport at Airwick. So hearing the Gatwick Express was cancelled was novel, and then finding some trains weren't calling there either increasingly bizzare. Anway, I opted for the Portsmouth service and off we set, on time until the Sand Tunnel at Redhill, from where we dawdled to Gatwick. The fast lines were blocked at Horley, and some sort of BYM (Big Yellow Machine) was at work. Over-running engineering works!

On such days one kind of just follows one's instincts, so return via Salisbury was the objective, achieved via changes at Havant and Fareham. Everything was on time, but the final SWT train was a bit odd, in that the bloke collecting litter then started spraying and wiping the tables and fettling the 159 first class, more than 30 mins before journey's end. Stuff the customer! He then put on a tabard saying ISS, but I felt OCD might be better. At Central, his mate got on and started hoovering!

To compensate, as I joined the XC Voyager at St David's, an unnaturally short lady was about to be helped off. "Hello, Trouble!" said the station bloke as he took her hand, and I then saw she had a white stick. She was ambulant, and they headed for the lift arm in arm, so it is clear she gets great service. Bravo.

Sherry will be late, as she has Tadpoles (youngsters training to act) and then is hosting a special rehearsal, deputed by the director.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

When we were in Jasper the litter bins at the hotel were designed so they couldn't be opened by bears. Unfortunately Aditi couldn't operate them either. As if something won't budge Aditi has been known to cause it to break (usually electrical appliances or Volvos) I stopped laughing and operated the latch. We had a day trip into BC (it seemed to be closed that day). At one car park we saw some allegedly bear proof dumpster that looked very knocked about.

When we moved back to Banff one of the local newspapers main headline was "Bear awake". One of the tagged bears had been recorded as moving. We didn't see it or any others though.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

game went well, at one point - chasing 298 the Uni 3rd XI were 43-6.. they ended up on 145 all out after 44 overs... but boy the wind was cold.

More cricket tomorrow and perhaps some T20s to umpire on Friday.

Managed to get some modelling done as well pre-match.

An early night is called for so sleep well everyone

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Evening all

I sit in splendid isolation in Wetherspoon's in Torquay, drinking Doombar and eating today's special, which is some sort of pulled-pork burger and chips. Hmmm.....

Today has been trip to London day, buying my Eurostar ticket for returning next week. Sherry has had commitments too, so we haven't missed that much of each other, really. After St Pancreas I went across to Victoria. Almost 40 years ago, the Central timetable was completely recast to serve the great Gatport at Airwick. So hearing the Gatwick Express was cancelled was novel, and then finding some trains weren't calling there either increasingly bizzare. Anway, I opted for the Portsmouth service and off we set, on time until the Sand Tunnel at Redhill, from where we dawdled to Gatwick. The fast lines were blocked at Horley, and some sort of BYM (Big Yellow Machine) was at work. Over-running engineering works!

On such days one kind of just follows one's instincts, so return via Salisbury was the objective, achieved via changes at Havant and Fareham. Everything was on time, but the final SWT train was a bit odd, in that the bloke collecting litter then started spraying and wiping the tables and fettling the 159 first class, more than 30 mins before journey's end. Stuff the customer! He then put on a tabard saying ISS, but I felt OCD might be better. At Central, his mate got on and started hoovering!

To compensate, as I joined the XC Voyager at St David's, an unnaturally short lady was about to be helped off. "Hello, Trouble!" said the station bloke as he took her hand, and I then saw she had a white stick. She was ambulant, and they headed for the lift arm in arm, so it is clear she gets great service. Bravo.

Sherry will be late, as she has Tadpoles (youngsters training to act) and then is hosting a special rehearsal, deputed by the director.

Yes an NR train broke down (they didnt say what sort of train) which resulted in the engineering works to over run. A down line was blocked form early this morning but luckily our train heading to LBG was fine. After 10am they then blocked the two lines to rescue the failed train and complete the engineering works. Our return train home was also the usual lateness into Redhill so nothing out the ordinary for us.

Day one of three work days out the way this week.

Looking forward to the drive down to Exeter on Friday. Hopefully down in time for lunch in the Imperial then out ot Topsham to meet my brother in the evening. Its Freemo a few miles West of Exeter this weekend so Saturday we will be setting up. Our last outing with a layout till August

• Like 3

Store all your files on the network, they said

it's safer, they said

it gets backed up, they said

Fine until your laptop loses the connection. 

Intermittently.

And I'm teaching a full day revision session tomorrow.

Good afternoon everyone

but there were still the idiots, (young mother and grandparents) who will insist on getting half way through a doorway, only to stop and glance lovingly the offspring, who are sat in a buggy.

We've nothing planned for this evening, so I may have a bottle of beer tonight.

What is the apparent 'obligation' to walk out from a station, or even te ticket barrier, and stop dead? And they don't half give abuse when you walk into them!

That groan button is desperately needed again........

Jamie

The precursor to this comment might just have given me the hump!

Evening all.

Feel like sh1t and well dosed with the Episcopalian non alcoholic cold cure. Listening to Brahms. I went up to Waterloo to buy my tickets to Salisbury this Saturday, including reservations for the bike. Bridge strike at Petts Wood and broken down train in one of the Higham tunnels so South-eastern up the creek as well.

German homework calls, as does the Episcopalian alcoholic cold cure (whisky mac).

Get well Ivan, get hopping Neil and keep well the rest of you. Bill

Edited by bbishop

Feeling roughety-rough with a head cold, cough, headache, a true Niagara of mucus and exciting gastric adventures. Also every joint aches...

Only skimmed the preceding posts, so affection and empathy to all.

>koff<

Home at 22:00 but at least I expected today to be a long one.

My nomination for this weeks Darwin Award has got to go to the complete cockwomble riding his push bicycle on the wrong side of the road, on the phone and heading towards me and hadn't even noticed me.

Neil - I hope that the hospital visit tomorrow puts you back on your feet.

Here's hoping that all ER's get a diagnosis / treatment / start to recover soon. (Delete those not applicable)

Not particularly ER tomorrow as I'm working from home for a change.

Night all

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Goodnight all

The painkillers must be working because I can't feel anything anymore.

I saw a headline on the web that said "Scientists say beer is more effective than painkillers". I'll drink to that.

EDIT: Found it http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/drinking-beer-more-effective-pain-relief-painkillers-say-scientists-1619585?utm_source=yahoo&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=rss-inner&utm_content=/rss/yahoous/news

Edited by AndyID
  • Like 14

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry and a bit dull at the moment with a mostly cloudy day and occasional spells of rain forecast.

That sounds good to me because there is more work to be done in the garden that I don't feel like doing today so I may get a bit of muddling done.

Nothing else to report so have a good one,

Bob.

• Like 16

My nomination for this weeks Darwin Award has got to go to the complete cockwomble riding his push bicycle on the wrong side of the road, on the phone and heading towards me and hadn't even noticed me.

How strange, I posted exactly the same experience a week or so ago.

• Like 12

Good morning one and all

The paviours have been and gone and with them the cones.  Where once stood tree stumps is now nice and level, slabbed in granite or whatever ersatz replaces it these days and protected with some sort of trestles until the cement sets.  The jostling for convenient car spaces resumes undiminished in the excess of demand over supply.  Amid this hurly-burly I have a task today, which is to write a report of last night's talk.  Later comes a concert with Benji Kirkpatrick.  All together now: who he?  Why, a former member of Bellowhead and the most musical son of John Kirkpatrick.  Who he?  A virtuoso of the squeeze box, former squire of Hammersmith Morris Men, a schoolfellow of mine and future guest at the same theatre as tonight's recital.  Oh dear, my fingers are typing in Crabtree again - that last word came out as 'rectal'.

We might one day consider the difference between a recital, a concert and a gig, for they are not at all synonymous.  Some of it is pure elitism.  A friend of mine sometimes gives organ recitals but ask him how the gig went and the look is as if I am something in which he has just trodden.  There must be more to it than that.  Discuss!

Warm thoughts to all in distress and enjoy the music.  That reminds me: during the May day real ale quality control session in Ampthill we tend to pitch up at a pub where there is a juke box and a pool table.  As five people cannot play pool simultaneously the other four tend to grab the table, leaving the juke box to me.  Then they have the nerve to moan about what I choose!  Can't win ...

Chris

• Like 7

Morning All,

It is a rather foggy morning in this part of the world.  Still, after all the rain yesterday, it is dry.

I don't have a lot else to report, so I guess it is time for a coffee!

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 17

Bought a drone motor on Ebay. It's not to motorize bagpipes (I don't have any). I'm interested to see if it can produce enough torque to propel a locomotive sans gears but I'm not holding my breath.

• Like 14