The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

The trip for railway modelling items has bee accomplished with a serious dent in the modelling fund. However, this was expected.

While I was out I picked up a copy of the latest BRM. The photo montage of the London Festival of Railway Modelling near the back has the photo taken by Andy Y of the ER lunchtime meet on the Saturday.

Time for an eyelid inspection.

Back later

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

The trip for railway modelling items has bee accomplished with a serious dent in the modelling fund. However, this was expected.

While I was out I picked up a copy of the latest BRM. The photo montage of the London Festival of Railway Modelling near the back has the photo taken by Andy Y of the ER lunchtime meet on the Saturday.

Time for an eyelid inspection.

Back later

I hope they've printed a parental advisory on the cover with that picture inside,

Jamie

Edited by jamie92208

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon awl,

Before we set off I fitted wheels to a seat box, and started work on another section of shed ceiling.

Motor scooter deposited, north walsham visited, freezer deposited.

Cupboard removed from pub, but not installed imediately, there were signs of woodworm, so that was entirely painted in wood worm killer. While doing that I found signs of a previous owners bodges, proper repairs were effected. Then the cupboard was installed.

The section of ceiling was then completed .

Then after a sit and think with a can I retired to the house. Just in time for the phone to ring saying the motorscooter was completed. Unfortunately we are too knackered and It's a bit late for us to get out to go and get it.

So we can't get it till Thursday...

Time for something to eat...

Cupboard removed from pub, but not installed imediately, there were signs of woodworm, so that was entirely painted in wood worm killer.

Woodworm was a big problem when we lived in Scotland, but other than some stuff we brought with us, I've never seen any signs of it here. Maybe the termites and carpenter ants chase the woodworms away, although I suspect it has more to do with humidity than anything else.

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Woodworm was a big problem when we lived in Scotland, but other than some stuff we brought with us, I've never seen any signs of it here. Maybe the termites and carpenter ants chase the woodworms away, although I suspect it has more to do with humidity than anything else.

I must admit that I've not come across woodworm in Scotland, but then I lived in the outer Hebrides for most of my time there, not too many trees to pass on the woodworm...

With most of my garden here being an old orchard, and the pub that planted it closed over 120 years ago. Many of them are riddled with wood worm, every bit of wood going into the model railway shed is either painted with modern paints or painted with woodworm killer if to be left bare.

Which reminds me, I need to paint the inherited, Tiree, railway with the killer.

I must admit that I've not come across woodworm in Scotland, but then I lived in the outer Hebrides for most of my time there, not too many trees to pass on the woodworm...

With most of my garden here being an old orchard, and the pub that planted it closed over 120 years ago. Many of them are riddled with wood worm, every bit of wood going into the model railway shed is either painted with modern paints or painted with woodworm killer if to be left bare.

Which reminds me, I need to paint the inherited, Tiree, railway with the killer.

When we lived in New Jersey it was not unusual to see the dreaded house "tenting" to eradicate some infestation or other. The entire house is enclosed and sealed in a "tent" while some evil insecticide/poison does its stuff. Takes a few days too IIRC.

I've seen old upright pianos that were absolutely riddled with woodworm but, although I always saw the unmistakable signs of where they had been, I've never seen an actual woodworm.

Probably long gone. They only make the holes at the surface when they pupate and fly off to find another piano. I have seen a couple of dead larvae that had not metawotsited.

• RMweb Gold

I've seen old upright pianos that were absolutely riddled with woodworm but, although I always saw the unmistakable signs of where they had been, I've never seen an actual woodworm.

This reminded me.  In 1948 when my maternal grandmother died we were to have the piano because my mother could play very well and in her teens had played music to accompany silent films.  Unfortunately dad found woodworm and would not accept it so my mother never played a piano again.

• RMweb Gold

Well that's one big pile of chips well and truly ur*nated on.  I duly set forth to Reading and actually boarded a slightly late running 15.20 to get me to Taunton and along with all the other passengers was duly turfed off it about 15 minutes later due to the total collapse of the signalling system between Didcot and Swindon and a queue of trains already in place between Reading and Didcot hopefully trying to head west.  The only alternative route wouldn't have got me to taunton until after 21.00 and it was very unclear exactly what and when it would be reopened - in fact a 'temporary fix' at about 16.40 duly collapsed within minutes of being temporarily not fixed.

So I decided to call it a day, call the whole thing off to avoid inconveniencing my hosts for tonight beyond reasonable expectation and I'm not driving down tomorrow after two days of partially and totally messed up railway journeys conspiring to knacker me so taht's another year at SWAG missed but I'll have to make a  shopping trip to Camborne soon instead as I can't collect goods tomorrow at SWAG.

Off t'chippy - have a nice evening all.

• RMweb Gold

This reminded me.  In 1948 when my maternal grandmother died we were to have the piano because my mother could play very well and in her teens had played music to accompany silent films.  Unfortunately dad found woodworm and would not accept it so my mother never played a piano again.

Maternal grandfather was in prison and Granny was selling everything possible to raise money. Of course those buying knew this and were offering her paltry sums. When the offer for the piano was ridiculously low she said she would use it for firewood and started taking an axe to it. No one played piano in that family again either.

Although I can appreciate his concern, that was a great shame. If it had been properly fumigated and treated it would have been quite safe.

Second daughter and husband bought their first house about five years ago. Typical little bungalow in the urban sprawl south of Los Angeles. It's in Los Alamitos, Orange County. They paid a ridiculous amount considering its size, but it has turned out to be a wise investment. Home prices are zooming up again, in their case around 40% since they bought it.

Mind you, it's still not quite as good as the 80% we made in two years. I don't think that's going to happen again any time soon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening.  The world is a better place now that I don't have access to a pianner.  I wasn't very good at it.

Trip out for lunch at the MSPCA café was good, Mrs H gardening until evening allowed me to catch up with F1 qualy.

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I once broke up an old wardrobe and burnt it because it had woodworm. Not all the larva had pupated and thet were forced out by the heat only to shrivel up from said heat. They looked like small maggots.

Before disposing of an upright piano now its advisable to look for bags of gold.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

Although I can appreciate his concern, that was a great shame. If it had been properly fumigated and treated it would have been quite safe.

Hi Andy et al.

Thanks for your comments - it was a pity Mum never played again.  Yes, one would think so and as I was hoping at that time to learn to play I asked him why not.  He opened the top and showed me the holes and then rubbed his finger along the back of the front panel and a shower of powder came away together with a bit of the panel support - I have a 'mind picture' of that exact moment right now.  I therefore think he was right and for me any sign of woodworm that I see I treat asap.

Edit - I have seen woodworm fly!

Edited by PeterBB

Meanwhile in my part of Cornwall this is a Ding D0ng.  Or rather the Ding D0ng

i-zScx5T2-L.jpg

The direction sign.  And the other way is to a farm and nothing to do with my hired car - the Kia C'eed was one of the best things I have ever driven!

i-WGWPGBK-L.jpg

Ding D0ng Mine viewed through the upright stones of Men-an-Tol

Do you mean Landon Quoit? Men an Tol doesn't have rocks like that.

• RMweb Gold

Well that's one big pile of chips well and truly ur*nated on.  I duly set forth to Reading and actually boarded a slightly late running 15.20 to get me to Taunton and along with all the other passengers was duly turfed off it about 15 minutes later due to the total collapse of the signalling system between Didcot and Swindon and a queue of trains already in place between Reading and Didcot hopefully trying to head west.  The only alternative route wouldn't have got me to taunton until after 21.00 and it was very unclear exactly what and when it would be reopened - in fact a 'temporary fix' at about 16.40 duly collapsed within minutes of being temporarily not fixed.

So I decided to call it a day, call the whole thing off to avoid inconveniencing my hosts for tonight beyond reasonable expectation and I'm not driving down tomorrow after two days of partially and totally messed up railway journeys conspiring to knacker me so taht's another year at SWAG missed but I'll have to make a  shopping trip to Camborne soon instead as I can't collect goods tomorrow at SWAG.

Off t'chippy - have a nice evening all.

For once I am glad that out of our various options for a day out today which inlcuded Swindon and Bath that we picked Whitstable and Faversham instead.

We even finished off the evening with a few beers in Tap East right next to Stratford International with Andrew C and other halves.

Edited by roundhouse
  • Like 10

No chance of finding those in a Yamaha electronic piano.

I wonder if they would go for the chipboard in our Korg? Come to think of it, it's getting on for thirty years old. I better take a good look at it.

My brother is, or was, a great pianist, but he never got a piano because he has always lived in flats. I suggested he get an electronic piano and use headphones but he was too much of a purist to do that. Silly Billy! (I should point out that he is not actually called William.)

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

It being weekend I decided to go straight outside and carry on working in the garden. I've been tidying up the last few potted plants as well as potting up a few others. The whole garden is now starting to fill out now that the shrubs are starting to green up. The apple blossom in making a fine show and the bluebells and aquilegia are out too. It's the first time in a few years that we've actually been able to see them. We also have some peonies that will soon be opening as well as one or two roses, it's all starting to look really nice.

I also had a bit of a re-organisation in the shed, I'd got a few small hands tools hung up, which were partially hidden by larger tools, so I've moved things around a bit to make it easier to see where they are and to get at them.

As tonight is the last Saturday of the month, it was Indian takeaway night, chicken makhani was tonight's choice and very nice it was too! This was followed by a nice bottle of red.

Goodnight all.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

For once I am glad that out of our various options for a day out today which inlcuded Swindon and Bath that we picked Whitstable and Faversham instead.

We even finished off the evening with a few beers in Tap East right next to Stratford International with Andrew C and other halves.

Very sensible choice although if you'd gone west in the morning you'd have been alright - getting back later might well have been a very different story as quite a lot of trains are well adrift of their amended amended times although at least they're now running.  Can't have been pleasant for those aboard trains which had signals go back in their face.