The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

If anyone can raise interest in where I was married, it was in a Kwik Save Car Park.

The Town Hall was being renovated and the Registrar had a cabin there.

Guests had to move trolleys to get in.

I sat in my allocated seat and the back fell off my chair.

The Best Man was roundly condemned for not bringing a screwdriver.

Got back to my house for the 'do' to find a large tree had blown over in the gale that day although the high winds helped with the distribution of confetti.

The photographer backed away to get a better picture and fell in a ditch.

Invited for drinks to a local 'stately home', MiL was mistaken for the then Queen Mother to whom she had a passing resemblance.

Returned to the house to be informed that about a third of the guests were staying the night.

As the caterers had packed up and left by then, the honeymoon started with hours in the kitchen preparing suppers.

...and on ... and on.

• Like 8

Lemme see;

i) Congratulations to Debs and John - another ER already aware from Farcebark...

ii) Here's hoping Ivan has escaped, or at least they've got a firm and hopefully non-eventful diagnosis.

iii) Thoughts for Ed's family today and an imbibe later in memory

Late checking in today, I was planning actually to take the entire day off and head to the cabin to fix the plumbing. Life intervened!

First, I am now becoming convinced that JFK hates me. Things were going as well as is possible at JFK yesterday, UNTIL I ARRIVED, it seems. Everything started going downhill even though I had a good couple of hours before my flight. Was on the late/last one to MSP so got there early to avoid the traffic/rush-hour flustercuck.

Soon as I stepped through the terminal doors, delays started occurring, resulting in my flight being over an hour delayed and not getting home until 11PM <yawn>

Second, this AM, after arising late, BUT to the dulcet tones of a business email on my cell phone, the email informed me that the Business Intelligence part of the system, had become business STUPID, decided to crash overnight and required me to get the cloud provider to restart the darned thing, THEN, clean up the mess of reports that had failed to run overnight automatically!!!

It's now 11:30, and makes no sense to head to the cabin and try and work on the plumbing :O

That's it then, since I've now booked more than 40 hours I've essentially got the rest of the day to myself here (Mrs and Jemma have various plans already)- hmmm, modeling maybe?!??! :jester:

6 and partly sunny, 11 for the high.

Let's all POE if we can - cheers.

• Like 3

And 1975 was the first of two long hot summers as well.  At least where I was on the Costa Geriatrica.  Those genteel has-been resorts either side of Brighton suddenly became Costa Nudica after dark :O  Brighton was then and still is responsible for its own nocturnally-induced population explosion ;)

Had to take an adolescent I had the privelege of working with to a vinyl shop in Brighton on several occasions. Believe me it's not pleasant walking through the town with an adolescent with psychosis shouting at the top of his voice about "effing gay b'stards". How he never got filled in is beyond me.

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Went the day well (thus far) even if not as originally planned as I should currently be in Somerset but am sat in my usual chair with Little Russia on the hill opposite fully visible if I roll the chair back a few feet.  Alas the friends who were supposed to be hosting me this evening - after one of them had spent the day taxiing me around - suffered a diary forgetfulness problem and were only reminded last night by the people they are seeing that they would be out tonight so I have duly returned from an excellent retirees nosh in Frome and will head for Taunton tomorrow afternoon for an event taking place in Bishops Lydeard tomorrow evening and then Staplegrove on Sunday - where I shall no doubt encounter some of our august number.  So 4 train rides this weekend instead of two - there can be some advantages to rehashed plans.

I shall have to look at the election thread and see who's managed to get it locked - not surprising as there has been some silliness there and a few of the 'make it up as I go along' merchants have at times upset others of a similar ilk.

Enjoy the rest of the day and is Ivan actually out yet or simply posting by remote control?

• Like 1

Feeling a bit more relaxed today after yesterday's wind-up. It serves to remind me just how little control I have over my emotions. Not a bad demonstration of the theory that most of what's going on in our brains is completely invisible to our conscious self.

Another way to put it is that we only get to see a very simple dashboard and have no idea what's actually going on in the engine.

• Like 2

My mother told me it is called a Register Office, because it is where the Registrar keeps the Register of Births, Marriages and Deaths.

I believe registry was something to do with domestic servants.

The OED gives the same definition for 'registry office' as it does for 'register office', but adds to the former:

2. (spec. chiefly Brit.). A local government office at which births, marriages, and deaths are recorded, civil marriages conducted, and (more recently) citizenship ceremonies held, with certificates issued according to legal requirements.

and “The form register office is the official term, although registry office is used freq. in informal and non-official use.”

It also adds -

spec. a place where a register of positions in domestic employment is maintained (now hist.) - to both entries.

No disrespect to your mum, Ian, but informal Britspeak suits me.

Nothing on here from Ivan yet but he has posted on another topic. I hope he is back to his old self. Best wishes to all who are ailing.

They finally let me go this afternoon!!! I'm out of the madhouse!

Actually, whoever said I'd have to go back for a biopsy, etc. is exactly right because I'm going to be summoned back as an outpatient in the weeks ahead. The various consultants were quite concerned about the TB angle, because of the possibility that some of the clients I see might have TB themselves. Thing is, unless your clients tell you they've got it, how would you know?

Two nights in hospital is quite enough, though. I've seen and heard enough to last a lifetime.....or possibly write a short play. In my part of the ward, you'll remember that Patient 1 went AWOL. He was replaced yesterday by Patient 5, a.k.a. Stan, an American who became a naturalised Brit a couple of decades ago. His wife happens to be....another Solicitor, so business cards were exchanged. Stan looked like a walking skeleton, and relied on constant oxygen up his nostrils plus considerable physical assistance to move about. He explained that the only reason why he'd ended up like this was because of a botched operation last August in a different hospital. Apparently the surgeon in that one had accidentally left a hole in Stan's bladder, leading to all sorts of complications.

He had, however, retained his sense of a good joke, and - as a Democrat supporter - he was quite excoriating about Trump, and critical of younger American voters who, he said, didn't come out and vote Democrat in anything like the numbers that they might have been expected to, particularly after Sanders lost the nomination to Clinton.

Patient 3, the grossly obese one, was shunted into another ward yesterday. He was replaced by Patient 6, a 61-year-old engineer who was a dead ringer for Dave Ellis of South Eastern Finecast. Patient 6 lasted a night and was discharged this morning.

Patient 4, the farty one with a bit of dementia, was actually enjoying his stay at the RFH, and was making it clear he didn't really want to be discharged. Things got very interesting when his wife - equally senior, and not in the best of health but still with all her marbles - turned up to visit him. Listening in on their loud conversations, I thought I'd stumbled into a play by Eugene O'Neill, as Patient 4 affected not to hear his wife's concerns or the cost of visiting him (£60 per round trip by taxi due to her claustrophobia).

It's the other ward activity that worms its way into the consciousness too, such as the confused woman who frequently wandered around the ward shouting about wanting to go home (but not knowing where home was), constantly monitored by a long-suffering nurse, and another female patient whose tortured screams and moaning at night wasn't exactly popular with other patients.

I found that, as a patient, if you let the doctors, nurses, bed staff, etc. get on with their job and not make loads of demands, everything worked rather well. Problems began if patients started to treat the various staff as one and the same, which didn't seem to be a good way of asking for something to be done, since tasks at the RFH are quite strictly demarcated, so you can't necessarily ask a bed/linen lady or porter for something that is the job of a nurse.

One thing was definitely rubbish, though: the bedside Internet service. If you don't have a mobile, or its battery is dead, you are given a touchscreen, via which you can access various paid-for services. At the RFH, this is managed by Hospedia, and frankly the end result was about as useful as a chocolate teapot. It took the best part of an hour to properly log onto RMWeb, because the browser was so slow and the touchscreen so inefficient/faulty that pressing it made the thing default to the Hospedia search engine.....which didn't work!!

Last seen a few mins ago having a right ding-do-ng with someone (who I happen to know) about the values and quality of certain aspects of the legal system....!

There are some things I don't take lying down. That was one of them.

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 15

and “The form register office is the official term, although registry office is used freq. in informal and non-official use.”

Good gawd! They'll be calling them "train stations" next. I'll be writing to my MP about this.

Oh, wait a minute....

• Like 1

Rather unfairly in my opinion the other posting is still there.

I can't say I'm surprised. I and certain powers that be have long had a mutual loathing of each other.

Nice to see you back Ivan. I may have the wrong end of the stick here, but were you on a mixed ward? Or do they let women patients wander around the mens' ward?

Mixed ward.

Edited by Horsetan

All my jobs planned for today were completed along with another on the way home. This along with the Bank Holiday traffic meant that I didn't get home until 19:00.

I did see something that amused me today and reassured me that there is justice in the world. I was cut up by a BMW driver who then proceded to jump a red light. 5 minutes later he was stuck at another set of lights broken down.

I will raise a glass to Ed this evening.

Ivan - Great to see that you've managed to escape the mad house.

My daily trip around the rest of RMweb will finish off my day.

Back later.

• Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. I phoned the publishers of Railway Bylines for a replacement copy and one is duly winging its way to me. The young lady on the phone was very helpful and when I asked about payment she told me that as a subscriber there was nothing to pay. In fact she seemed relieved that I wasn't calling about none delivery as a batch has not been delivered yet despite them all going to the post office at the same time. I hadn't ventured into the general election thread until it was mentioned by Ivan. I saw one post by another ER and I gave an agree to that post as it followed my thoughts on Brexit.

• Like 15

PhilJW, my copy of Bylines has not yet arrived.  It is printed in Bedford near where I live so heaven knows what Royal Snail have done with it.  BRILL arrived on Monday so something is wrong somewhere.

Chris 

...Hospitals are the pits, I had a mega-snorer in my first 4 bed ward, when I was moved they moved him in too!  The night staff brought earplugs around for the rest of us.  I would have killed him willingly by 1am, except 1) I couldn't walk and 2) he is a friends boss so he might have lost his job.  There's something about snoring really loudly that attacks the nervous system of those around them.........

Strangely enough, there weren't any megasnorers in my part of the ward. There was only the farty one, and he didn't care who heard it. I was far enough from him not to smell it.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

POETS day was achieved! I also managed to get back to Rawtenstall this morning. When I was planning today's work, I noticed that one site was the mill that is behind the level crossing. So I made that the last job of the day and I got there just in time to see the 11:17 arrive. Once again it was being hauled by 34092 City Of Wells.

This evening the exclusive hairdressing boutique that is Vidal Baboons was once again open for business, so I have been suitably shorn and according to Sheila, I look much tidier now!

Sheila and I married in a register office, nearly 39 years ago and we're still going strong.

Ivan. Glad to see you've managed to escape RFH.

Ooooh goody, its wine o'clock.

• Like 9

If anyone can raise interest in where I was married, it was in a Kwik Save Car Park.

The Town Hall was being renovated and the Registrar had a cabin there.

Guests had to move trolleys to get in.

I sat in my allocated seat and the back fell off my chair.

The Best Man was roundly condemned for not bringing a screwdriver.

Got back to my house for the 'do' to find a large tree had blown over in the gale that day although the high winds helped with the distribution of confetti.

The photographer backed away to get a better picture and fell in a ditch.

Invited for drinks to a local 'stately home', MiL was mistaken for the then Queen Mother to whom she had a passing resemblance.

Returned to the house to be informed that about a third of the guests were staying the night.

As the caterers had packed up and left by then, the honeymoon started with hours in the kitchen preparing suppers.

...and on ... and on.

Oh dear! Our wedding went quite smoothly by comparison except that we were supposed to fly from Glasgow to Munich for our honeymoon in Austria the following morning. Unfortunately one engine on the Bavaria Fluggesellschaft BAC 1-11 conked out just before takeoff and we spent most of the following day at the airport hiding from people we knew while Bavaria Fluggesellschaft found a replacement aircraft.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Another Registry job here, 33 years ago.  We had no money.  The next-door neighbour where I grew up was the Registrar and married us, which was nice.  Close family and a couple of friends only, best man was a fellow officer, we had both just been made redundant the year before.

• Like 19