The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

And 1975 was the first of two long hot summers as well.  At least where I was on the Costa Geriatrica.  Those genteel has-been resorts either side of Brighton suddenly became Costa Nudica after dark :O  Brighton was then and still is responsible for its own nocturnally-induced population explosion ;)

Since you’ve been away it has become the haven (again) for aging rock stars - hang on, so nothing has changed then?

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Congratulations to Debs and John and hopefully Ivan will be trotting about soon. Bank holiday weekend coming up, Peterborough Truckfest penciled in for Sunday and an organized walk over the remains of the Corringham Light Railway on Monday but that depends on the weather and if my legs feel up to it. Thats it for now, have a good POETS day all those working, be back later.

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Since you’ve been away it has become the haven (again) for aging rock stars - hang on, so nothing has changed then?

Best, Pete.

There and Carbis Bay.  When I was active in the music scene in west Cornwall we knew of a several ageing (former) stars with homes in the more expensive parts of Carbis Bay.  One or two even turned up at the local jam sessions.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Just.

Showery out, although warmer at 14c according to the coldometer.

Congrats to Debs and John have ben left elsewhere, but are worth repeating here and my best wishes to Ivan too. 

Hospitals are the pits, I had a mega-snorer in my first 4 bed ward, when I was moved they moved him in too!  The night staff brought earplugs around for the rest of us.  I would have killed him willingly by 1am, except 1) I couldn't walk and 2) he is a friends boss so he might have lost his job.  There's something about snoring really loudly that attacks the nervous system of those around them.....

John is having a great time at the Ffestiniog with the Steamplex, he's been out on the mainline and also been shunting Minfordd yard.  This is not helping my state of mind, as I should have been there with him!  I thought at the time of my injury I would be OK on one crutch by them...ha.  Can't even get the OK to walk partial weight bearing until next weeks appointment, hopefully. My right hip is protesting loudly at all the hopping about with a zimmer, relief can't come soon enough.

• RMweb Gold

Ooops. Another plan bites the dust. There will be no Watercress on the menu in June as the day we (I) had earmarked for the visit there aren't any trains running!  That didn't cross my mind when we booked the hotel.      :banghead: Now looking for Plan B.  :scratchhead:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Almost in the POE zone now having had a productive meeting with a colleague in the south of France (he was, I wasn't) this morning. 

i kicked off the meeting in French, much to his surprise and delight - first point to Grande Bretagne, methinks.  

Not sure I'll be turning up to the unpaid weekend meeting the boss has just suggested though. The clue is in the title; weekEND. 

Over lunch I've been building a turntable for my fiddle yard using the new jigsaw. The cuts are somewhat wonky in places but this may be down to, erm, my eyesight. 

GB, picked up on your watercressing needs? There's a Watercress Festival on Sunday 21st of May. Trains are running that day, I believe.

Or if you are looking to celebrate marriage, then there's "War on the Line" 10th-11th June.   

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 19

`tis not a secret.......Joyously, John (my dear "Passepartout") and I, are imminently to be married! :tender:

Our individual health concerns, have shown us that our time together may now be shorter than we`d hoped........so, we`re not wasting a moment. 

We`d originally planned on a quiet relaxed {future} wedding; with just our closest family (incl. my wonderful, nonagenarian parents!) and friends, our joy, simply shared, outdoors in the sunshine........but, events in these recent weeks mean a Registry Office (perhaps even via a Registrar General`s licence) is as good a nuptial as we may hope, either way, we will certainly be happy, as long as we are together. :friends:

Debs my dear, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with marrying in a registry office - my lady and I married in the one in Cambridge in 1962, and are still together. Unfortunately , the public has been conned into believing that their happiness together depends on the vast amount of money expended upon nuptials, which could probably be far better spent on the purchase/deposit for a house  Best to you both, you both deserve as much happiness as possible together

Best

Jack

Edited by shortliner
  • Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Bo££ock$.  As expected Mrs NHN didn't get the job.  No great issue as given the size of the field she had thought as much, but she did report having had a much better interview that the last one she tried for.

Normally I would run around making a fuss of her to make up for the disappointment, but that's a bit difficult currently.  I might run her toes over with my wheelchair....like that advert!

• RMweb Gold

I can see that could cause alarm....

Parcelforce man: "It's curtains for you, sir!"  :scared:

It was the usually efficient DPD man. He couldn't find the package and thought he was going to have to unload the whole van. However I was able to describe the box and recognised the John Lewis label. It had been put in the van out of delivery order.
  • Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Debs my dear, there is nothing whatsoever wrong with marrying in a registry office - my lady and I married in the one in Cambridge in 1962, and are still together. Unfortunately , the public has been conned into believing that their happiness together depends on the vast amount of money expended upon nuptials, which could probably be far better spent on the purchase/deposit for a house  Best to you both, you both deserve as much happiness as possible together

Best

Jack

Aditi and I got married in Southend Registry office in 1977. By licence too. Normally one has to supply a birth certificate for that but Aditi doesn't have one but her passport sufficed. Once her family finally confirmed they would not attend our wedding we decided there was no point delaying in the hope they would change their mind.
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately , the public has been conned into believing that their happiness together depends on the vast amount of money expended upon nuptials, which could probably be far better spent on the purchase/deposit for a house 

Agree entirely and I have a theory that the more spent on the wedding, the less chance the marriage has of working.

• Like 6

Agree entirely and I have a theory that the more spent on the wedding, the less chance the marriage has of working.

One of Liz's Friends from their days at Sheffield Poly had a slap-up do with all the trimmings when she married. Her husband was an amiable enough chap, but, I felt, a bit of a flake in some ways. They managed to get a council flat in Sheffield, but in an area subject to frequent break-ins. When Liz expressed to me her concerns about that, I said that I suspected that he'd probably think it exciting to live there. They did suffer a burglary, which left their flat a mess, and when we went round to commiserate with them, he said that when he'd opened the door to the scene of the crime he wished that he'd had his camera with him. "You mean for the insurance claim?" his wife asked. "No, because it was so dramatic!" he exclaimed. She just stared at him. I should have finished my psychology course ... The marriage lasted a couple of years, not to my surprise.

Liz and I were married in a registry office, followed by lunch in the adult education lounge at the school where I was working at the time. Our marriage lasted for twenty-seven years, until Liz died of heart failure seven years ago.

According to the BBC website United Airlines will now pay up to $10,000 to give up your seat on an overbooked plane.

I would leap off the plane onto a bed of nails given that offer and beat myself up on the way.

Delta had already upped their maximum to $10,000 after the United debacle.

The TRICK of course is that it's "up to $10,000", there'll be a stampede of takers WAY before it gets that high!

Gate agents can now offer up to $2,000 (was $800 prior to that) and a supervisor is required to push the offer(s) above that...

I've always been happy to get off for a measly $700 - managed that twice when it reached there, there's too many people will accept lower, is the thing. It's not like everyone at the gate is going to universally hold out, someone will find their sweet spot and take the money well before it reaches that new maximum, I'm bloody sure I will! :jester:

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Ivan is probably playing ketchup catch-up with a full day (or more) of ER posts. That'll be a few pages then :P

Last seen a few mins ago having a right ding-do-ng with someone (who I happen to know) about the values and quality of certain aspects of the legal system.

Another pathetic example of the censor mired my deathless prose!

Edited by Oldddudders
  • Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon all,

Almost in the POE zone now having had a productive meeting with a colleague in the south of France (he was, I wasn't) this morning. 

i kicked off the meeting in French, much to his surprise and delight - first point to Grande Bretagne, methinks.  

Not sure I'll be turning up to the unpaid weekend meeting the boss has just suggested though. The clue is in the title; weekEND. 

Over lunch I've been building a turntable for my fiddle yard using the new jigsaw. The cuts are somewhat wonky in places but this may be down to, erm, my eyesight. 

GB, picked up on your watercressing needs? There's a Watercress Festival on Sunday 21st of May. Trains are running that day, I believe.

Or if you are looking to celebrate marriage, then there's "War on the Line" 10th-11th June.   

I can definitely recommend the "War on the Line".  We went to that a couple of years ago.  Absolutely brilliant!

I can say that as I went along just because it was in our holiday week down there.  I thought I would hate it.

On the contrary, I  L O V E D  it!

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

I can definitely recommend the "War on the Line".  We went to that a couple of years ago.  Absolutely brilliant!

I can say that as I went along just because it was in our holiday week down there.  I thought I would hate it.

On the contrary, I  L O V E D  it!

We have had offers on over booked flights but each time we have had too tight a schedule to take it up as often we stay just one night in each location on our travels in the USA.

Poets has happened and now sitting in a bar awaiting my other half to arrive on the train from London

• Like 15

Last seen a few mins ago having a right ding-do-ng with someone (who I happen to know) about the values and quality of certain aspects of the legal system.

Another pathetic example of the censor mired my deathless prose!

and the topic got locked just as I was typing my two penn'orth!

• Like 2