The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Good Moaning,

Not quite as cold here - a mere -4°C. However, there is a biting arctic wind which makes it feel a lot colder.

The temperature sensor in my car works fine down to -10°C, below that there doesn't seem to be a minus and it reads 11°C. However, I am not sure if that is because the display is just flaky. Some of the segments have stopped working properly and the thing is far too expensive to replace.

The -0 issue amused me. Primarily because two of my colleagues had an argument about this very thing last year. One is a Doctor of Mathematics and the other comes from a Computer Science background. There was a large discussion about whether or not minus zero is equivalent to zero. I seem to remember the argument was settled by This Wikipedia article

Informally, one may use the notation "−0" for a negative value that was rounded to zero. This notation may be useful when a negative sign is significant; for example, when tabulating Celsius temperatures, where a negative sign means below freezing.

Oh well - better go. My bed knobs are flashing.

Have a good day everyone...

I do like the optimistic attitude to the Darlington Show.

I wish them the very best.

Years ago I put on a large, non railway, Show with a similar attitude.

It snowed.

The police closed the motorway and the roads leading to the Showground.

Morning all....

Seems we were the lucky ones yesterday. In laws got off from Gatwick and we got through Jct 7-10 on the M25 just in time. Judging by the news this morning, people were stuck for 5 hours in that section.

Thank you Lord....;)

Hope you are all coping with the conditions wherever you are.

All quiet at home, so modelling could be on the agenda for today...:)

Good moaning.

It has snowed during the night though I don't think it's a significant amount as I can still see the indentations from yesterday's footprints...

It's just started to hail again...

I gather that to get her car out my boss may require a tow from Lt Gruber's little tank...

• RMweb Gold

HelloI've just waded through the snowdrifts to put the bin bags out, just in case the bin men can get up the road. We rarely get this much snow here. All the schools are closed today. The college my wife works at in London is open but she is will work from home today. She is doing a task that just requires access to the computer system at work and can be done more efficiently from home.

Tony

No snow overnight in the land of the Midnight Haggis - so no shovelling this morning - hooray! However, in its place we have an absolutely VICIOUS frost - yesterday morning it was -13C in Inverness at 0900 - if they told me it is -20C this morning, I wouldn't be the least surprised.:O

• RMweb Gold

I've realised that I'll need to go to the shops for some food for Robbie. As the schools are closed there should be plenty of space in the local car-parks. I was going to walk but "as you are going out will you get..."

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Morning All, No extra snow in these parts over night. I was called urgently to a meeting (in the pub) yesterday afternoon right about the time the heating system at home stopped working. The 3-way valve has jammed up and we have plenty of hot water but not much heating. Looks like todays activities will be acquiring a replacement valve!

Have fun all.

Cheers

Dave

• RMweb Gold

As there didn't seem to be vegetables for sale in the Co-op, after getting Robbie's food from the pet shop I went off to the nearby Tesco where it was very quiet but fully stocked. I did my good deed for the day helping a very embarrassed chap move his 4*4 twin cab pick up truck. He'd borrowed it from a colleague and had got it stuck in the supermarket car-park. He looked so upset when I said I probably wouldn't be much help as my Land Rover Freelander is automatic and one just has to turn a knob to select an appropriate drive mode. Anyway I sat next to him and suggested that the lever alongside the normal gear lever looked interesting. It seemed to work as he got out of the snow drift. I think I prefer my "4*4 for dummies" vehicle for when the going gets tough at Tesco! I must look like a kindly sort of person as I've been asked a few times for help with gearbox queries!

I'm not driving again today. I'll take Robbie over some nearby fields instead of the park. I don't think any of his (short legged) doggy pals will be over there today anyway.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

45156 is a bit poorly today, and decided not to get up right away, pulled the duvet up over myself, and didn't get myself downstairs until after twelve - there's a nasty bug going the rounds which affects the tum, and it seems that it has arrived with me, as Mrs 45156 has brought it home from her work.

Currently, not a lot of the white stuff, and all the main roads seem to be OK, provided one is careful. However, having seen the antics of some of the young mums on the school run, I think that some tuition on winter driving techniques should be compulsory. Gordon it sounds like you were blessed yesterday, and got away with it only by a very short time. Your close encounter of the Artic kind soounds pretty hairy.

I turned out yesterday to get the week's provsions with Mrs 45156, as I was a bit worried. Supermarket was pretty fully stocked with the essentials, as well as the non essentials, so we should get by now for a week or so.

Shame about Darlington being cancelled, but seeing the TV, hardly surprising.

Regards to All

Stewart

No fresh snow in the boring boring borough today. However SouthEastern's "service" has once again descended into a farce. How these muppets manage to remember how to breathe without assistance is surprising. Oh well, they're on track this year to have to re-instate the 10% discount for season ticket holders due to their performance dropping below the magic number. Lets hope this sad excuse for a ToC loses its franchise next time around.

Made it there and back - the Radio 4 lady has just told me that I was right. -20C at Altnaharra (not that far away) and expected to be even colder tonight - may even break the 1919 Braemar official record of -23C as the coldest recorded in UK - although I'm sure that Altnahara broke that some years ago

• RMweb Gold
Shame about Darlington being cancelled, but seeing the TV, hardly surprising.

That's a pity. I do hope they were insured or if not, haven't incurred too many costs that that they can't recover thereby putting the club in difficulty.

• RMweb Premium

That's a pity. I do hope they were insured or if not, haven't incurred too many costs that that they can't recover putting the club in difficulty.

Reciprocated - any event I've been involved with, I've always made sure I've bought weather cancellation (used to be called Pluvius) insurance.

Oh yes, and it's snowing hard here now at last. I've just ordered some more thermals and some crampons off Amazon - hope the postman can get them here. Two pairs of Thermals arrived today, and they are so good, I went to order more, to find that they were sold out, and I had to choose a different product.

• RMweb Gold

Would you enjoy a walk in the snow if you had short legs?

The way the snow had drifted in the fields it was actually deeper than the length of Robbie's legs. He seems to use a sort of jump and leap method of movement through the snow. I was quite grateful for the path he cleared, I don't think anyone else had been that way. The worst bit of the walk was on the pavements back from the field as there was loose snow on top of compacted ice.

I'm glad I put the rubbish and recycling bags out this morning as all the refuse trucks turned up. Our postman also arrived with some letters and a package but the poor man looked as if he had set out yesterday.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

The station's parking lot also was compacted ice with snow on top for as far as I could see when I was on my way home. I'm quite amazed that there are some cyclists who actually dare ride on that kind of surface! :blink: