The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Nothing too exciting planned for today now that I have put the bin bags out.

I don't think we will move from this house now we are retired. We have made an effort to make it easy to maintain. The garden is manageable.

There is adequate public transport nearby and no anti social neighbours. We don't have wildebeest roaming the back garden but we do have some pretty birdies and daft squirrels visiting our shrubbery.

Tony

• Like 15

Paul Simon said "You can call me Al", but after today, you can call me Sean.

I went for a haircut at my usual establishment. It's all very "hi-tech" there. You provide your phone number and, thanks to the interrogation of some amazing extra-terrestrial database, they know (in theory) how you like to have your hair cut.

All was going well until the hairdressing lady attacked my slightly unkempt (but still highly attractive) locks with a device that was more appropriate for unzipping a sheep from its fleece.

"Zut alors!" (I think that's what I said, but it might have been something slightly more profane). To cut a long story short, it turned out that there had been a bit of a coque-up, and the data in the database wasn't exactly consistent with my expectations.

With a haircut like this I think I have a good chance of either entering the military or the penal system. The good news is I got a free haircut (although, as it was not her fault, I did tip the hairdresser.)

Lorna was quite amused.

• RMweb Premium

...as an addendum to my earlier post I have the news on in the background with a report coming from South Korea.

The reporter seemed to be standing in front of a line of Mc-D Phantoms, which first went into service in 1960.

My personal recollection of the aircraft goes back to a scout camp at Lamarsh back in the day (70s) from which a visit to a local RAF base had been arranged. 

Highlights were a ride around the airfield in the station fire tenders with glimpses of knackered decoy aircraft dotted around, getting to sit in the back seat of a Phantom, albeit in a hangar and my first ever curry in the NCOs' mess. 

I'm amazed these aircraft are still in service. But then so is the B52. 

• Like 16

@Andrew: adverse possession can be a minefield, as quite a few folk in N-Wales found out to their cost. A major battle of rebuilding the WHR was land-ownership. Many farmers and home owners assumed the WHR trackbed was included in their property and when the plans for rebuilding the WHR materialized, many claimed adverse possession. And failed. The WHR wasn't so much a private enterprise (well, of course it was) but it was incorporated by the Crown, and thus by Law, and as the FR sought to re-instate the trackbed to its originally intended purpose, any and all of the adverse possession claims were rejected because they violated the purpose of the Law that incorporated the WHR. Seek legal advise before claiming ownership of the land, if you haven't already done so of course :yes:

HTH!

Cheers DM. One of the other homeowners is doing the legal legwork on this. From what we understand the terrace was once owned by a single entity. The properties were once part of a larger estate which included several nurseries. When they were sold off, some houses included the full length which incorporated their bit of alleyway. Other properties, did not. One of the properties is even more truncated as the garage is still owned by the previous property owner. These various bits seem to have no definition with the land registry. Nobody knows who owns the bits. From what we've been told by the legal expert, after 10 years a property with no identifiable registration can be subject to adverse possession. Even if the owner(s) get identified by the process, it gives us the opportunity to deal directly with them to either obtain the land or get their buy in to improve the alley. Essentially there are 3 15' by 12' alleyway sections with no apparent ownership. There is no way they can develop or use the land for anything other than its existing purpose as we all have a written right of access covenant. The main push for this is the alleyway is deteriorating and needs repaving. There is no point of doing it in sections, leaving the 3 gaps. None of us want to spend the £ on paving someone else's land unless we have a reasonable assurance about ownership. 

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Morning all. Although I had an excellent nights sleep I feel carp. Just what I need for what could turn out to be another long day.

I may have a trip out to NESCOT this weekend depending on how I feel.

Have a good day everyone

Did some teaching there once - quite liked it but it is some 40 years plus ago.

Many thanks to all for their best wishes.  I am now out and on the mend but will avoid wasps in the future.  I will remove another one found - dead  - from my drivers side window area but will use forceps rather than try anything else.

Cheers, Peter

Edited by PeterBB
  • Like 17

• RMweb Premium

Parking permit extended for a day..who got a 7 day not an 8 day one...ERM that will be me!!

Tornado jet did a fly past while I was climbing The Hill to the car park..better looking than the Flying corned beef tins ...

Baz

• Like 14

A sad day as we see the final set of pictures and video footage from the ever famous layout, Penhayle Bay. There's no doubt about it that most RMweb users will have stumbled across this layout at points and taken inspiration from it. A sad ending, I will miss seeing the updates from Rick. Here's hoping his new project gets under way soon

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Achy and groggy today, which may have to do with two bits of traffic gormlessness I got all too close to last night, which in turn may also contribute to my wishing for us to have policing powers in order to immediately withdraw certain elements from abusing the roads.

Still unsure whether to cook me something for lunch or go for take-away. 

Later…

Bit grey here today. It matters not a jot because I have to stay in to see if Parcel Farce manage to locate us today. It appears that yesterdays failed/botched/couldntbearsedtrying delivery was returned to Plymouth depot at 00.01 today. At 07.20 it was showing as "prepared", presumably just like the Scouts. Perhaps Parcel Farce need scouts or even a flight of pathfinders to establish the delivery targets to be hit.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Not a lot to report this morning. Normally it would be bin day today but due to the bank holiday its not until tomorrow, will have to remember to put them out. I forgot about the filler when I went to B&Q's on Tuesday but not to worry as there's a few other things I may need so I'm writing out a list, I can also check out the offcuts department for any more bargains. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning.  Not much to report.

Suspect I'm teetering on the edge of black-dogness.  Really fed up with no mojo, and can't get up and about to do much about it.  My GP writing another month sicknote without so much as blinking possibly to blame. Another 2 weeks until next hospital appointment/progress report and possibly beginning some weight bearing and thus some mobility without a zimmer frame and hopping.  If only I could drive it would help, but it's my left foot and all our 4 wheel vehicles are manual transmission.  Bum.

Simple soldering tips.

As large an iron as you can muster with a small bit for the fiddly jobs - I use 50W for soldering wires to rails.

Set to 380-400C for "normal" soldering tasks if you have access to a temperature controlled device

Clean, good solder - none of that lead-free eco carp. Ideally containing a small proportion of silver to help it flow.

Good flux - non-corrosive residue.

POOTWEG today for golf - 4th place and just out of the money by literally another roll of the ball.

Then a driving session for tomorrow's test.

Tomorrow is a day off from the usual work with a driving test about lunchtime, and there will be another round of golf after that - this time in the wrinklies knockout.

Friday and I will then be an occasional visitor to the ER world for just over three weeks. Expect a couple of random photos.

Cheers,

Mick

Remember these, my old dad used to swear by them or was it at them? 

post-276-0-10860600-1492681859.jpg

• Like 17

Last week, after collecting the takings from the pier, Loomis Security decided that spilling a bag of coins was a good idea. He had to move the vehicle to recover all.post-19606-0-31189100-1492681828_thumb.jpg

Edited by lightengine

• RMweb Gold

If enough of us got together could we make a litter and carry Neil up the track to the top station of Groudle Glen.

Anything to help him cheer up a bit.

Stick with it Neil, it must be so boring for you. You've probably tried all the things that you can do. I could send you the complete language course 'Larn yersel Geordie' if that would help.

• Like 10

I just bring up the real fire power.

attachicon.gifSoldering Iron.JPG

Can anyone smell burning? :no:

My father had, and used one. He also had one that he used to burn a hole through the door frame for a doorbell. Heroic stuff!

Remember these, my old dad used to swear by them or was it at them? 

attachicon.gif(11) Blow mp 151-152.jpg

I had one of those, loved it, but left it behind when we moved...
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

It would be sacrilege to rip up that Frank Lloyd Wright banquette in the basement to get trains to run along the wall.

As Ian says, $1.4M and 2,600 square feet is a bad ratio, even if close to downtown. For that money you would usually get more rooms, bathrooms and larger rooms in most of the US - high density areas like NY, Boston, San Francisco, etc excepted.

According to a recent chat with an estate agent type fellah (who was punting for business so it has to be seen in that light) he reckoned a roughly similar price for our house (in £ equivalent of course) which has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a living room, a dining room, a large kitchen (also including a small dining table - which allows 4 people to eat in reasonable comfort), a study, small utility room, and a small library area; but the total floor space is a bit less than the Minneapolis example.  Outside a sort of double garage plus off-road parking for at least 4 cars.

In local terms it's relatively small for a modern detached house and we are obviously in a 'popular' area which impacts prices but an interesting comparison nevertheless. 

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Neil I reckon that if you can access a keyboard reasonably comfortably you could occupy yourself by writing your memoirs thus at least stretching some of your brain and exercising your fingers even if not managing anything else - a bit of mnental stimulus will help to keep your mind occupied I reckon.

Now to Chris F's map problem - yes, exactly as DM suggested but it depends on your 'puting engine and its software as to whether or not it is a simple task.  I've posted an example below which took less than a minute to create (daft word, I copied it) on the Mac and would be happy to do one for you if it would help.

And on the catering front there is a superb aroma of bread pudding coming from the oven in the kitchen at t'other side of the house and wafting everywhere.

Have a good day one and all.

post-6859-0-68118700-1492685661_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Now to Chris F's map problem - yes, exactly as DM suggested but it depends on your 'puting engine and its software as to whether or not it is a simple task. I've posted an example below which took less than a minute to create (daft word, I copied it) on the Mac and would be happy to do one for you if it would help.

I like Streetmap which (unlike Google) uses OS mapping, see http://www.streetmap.co.uk

There is an option at the bottom of the webpage to cut and paste the coordinates, eg.

http://streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=534345&Y=168965&A=Y&Z=120

and change the map scale to suit.

Eg http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X=534345&Y=168965&A=Y&Z=110

Proper OS maps, can't beat 'em!

Cheers,

Keith

Edited by tractionman
  • Like 4

Just 10 days left to the end of the month, at which point the Probate fees go up noticeably. Not having heard anything from HMRC since my IHT submission went in last month, I picked up the telephone and hung on their famous endless loop for about 30 minutes before managing to speak to someone. Turns out that the entire world and his wife have been trying to beat the Probate fees rise, and HMRC are struggling to keep up with the IHT submissions coming in. So, if you thought you had done it in good time by submitting last month (as I did), apparently that's not enough because they're only just getting the forms scanned onto the system now!!

One bright spot is that the officer offered to take a copy set by fax and deal with it personally, so there might still be hope.......

Remember: Probate fee now: £155 (solicitor applications). Probate fee after 1st May: £4000 (in this Estate).  :O

Greetings all. Quiet days here. Work continues apace.

Sorry to hear about Peter's encounter with a wasp.

Re Smudger, I just assumed that was one of a number of nicknames for people with Smith as a surname, along with Smithy, Smiffy, and Smiggy. My Dad refers to one of his friends as Smudger. With no services connections that I know of....

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Oddly Mike, I have recently written an article for on old bike magazine I take, which caused much amusement from the editor as I poked a lot of fun at him - he's a good sport luckily.  I need to take the photos to go with the article now - ahhhh, sh......

• Like 12

Just 10 days left to the end of the month, at which point the Probate fees go up noticeably. Not having heard anything from HMRC since my IHT submission went in last month, I picked up the telephone and hung on their famous endless loop for about 30 minutes before managing to speak to someone. Turns out that the entire world and his wife have been trying to beat the Probate fees rise, and HMRC are struggling to keep up with the IHT submissions coming in. So, if you thought you had done it in good time by submitting last month (as I did), apparently that's not enough because they're only just getting the forms scanned onto the system now!!

One bright spot is that the officer offered to take a copy set by fax and deal with it personally, so there might still be hope.......

Remember: Probate fee now: £155 (solicitor applications). Probate fee after 1st May: £4000 (in this Estate).  :O

It is not going to be worthwhile dying.