The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

My issues may be a carp soldering iron (though it's a Weller bought about a year ago) but also the arthritis, which means I have trouble holding the work against the iron. To saw the metal I have to clamp it to the bench pin.

I think I'll take a punt. It's not that expensive. I was just wondering if anyone had used one and if it actually worked.

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Quicker in transit, maybe, but quicker from parking the car to arriving and exiting the transport system - now that's a whole new kettle of fish!

I know from when  was living in the Forest of Dean driving to Gloucester and getting a a train heading to Newcastle changing at Tamworth for one going to Gloucester took longer than driving to Birmingham and getting a plane then a Taxi. Not by much though. If there is fog at Glasgow and they divert to Prestwick ..... 

It also depends where in Edinburgh you might be heading whether it is in walking distance or you need a taxi.

Don

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

My issues may be a carp soldering iron (though it's a Weller bought about a year ago) but also the arthritis, which means I have trouble holding the work against the iron. To saw the metal I have to clamp it to the bench pin.

I think I'll take a punt. It's not that expensive. I was just wondering if anyone had used one and if it actually worked.

I have a small gas torch which I have used to solder up a brass kit in the motorhome it looks something like this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/?iid=181794004048&&&adgroupid=40680863174&rlsatarget=pla-301251791457&abcId=1088866&adtype=pla&merchantid=101474325&poi=&googleloc=9045347&device=c&campaignid=805981323&crdt=0&chn=ps

I am familiar with using a torch as I worked on Lead cables in the past. I now have a jewellers microflame unit by the workbench which uses electricity to break up water and the pass the hydrogen to the torch this gives a very small very hot flame. If you have any type of gas torch it should do the job if you can turn the flame down enough.

You shouldn't have any problems. Clothes pegs can be used to hold bits together but get your own the missus may take exception to charred ends to her clothes pegs. Clamping bits together is helpful as it prevents movement while the solder cools and solidifies. 

Don

• Like 11

Evening all. Not sure how I am still awake after stumbling through the day very bleary eyed. Amber did perk up and has been fine all day which is a real relief. After the hair cut, shopping and Avon book deliveries i went into the city centre to collect my new mobile phone. Amber felt well enough to tag along as did Sarah. We manage to stop off for some lunch at a Subway outlet (at Amber's request). Whilst in Derby I tried to pick up the pieces of track needed to further develop my 00 gauge layout, Skaleby Quay. One of the newsagents have started to stock Hornby products although their prices are extremely high. They also don't seem to know what they are doing. Whilst they can be forgiven for having no R/H express points, the other issue was unforgivable. I picked up three straight track pieces, all marked with a Hornby barcode. The shop assistant had no clue how much they cost. The items were not priced and no member of staff was able to give a price as the person responsible for the model outlet was off work until tomorrow. They therefore lost a sale! The shocking state of model shops in Derby!!!

Some school work has been tackled this afternoon and evening and more will need to be done tomorrow. As predicted the Severn Valley trip is off. Very disappointed, but one or two other things need to be done tomorrow. If one goes ok it may well lessen the blow.

Anyway things could be worse. Sorry to read about Peter's weekend. I hope you are ok sir.

• RMweb Gold

Nice, plenty of space in the basement for a decent model railway, though as the blurb says, "as long as you have $1.395 million to spend."

Ok, form an orderly queue...

Cheers,

Keith

Heck of a long way to travel to Railex or SWAG day in Taunton - think I'll give it a miss.  And it does look a bit oppressive inside in my opinion - too dark despite all those windows to keep the heating costs in the stratosphere.

• Like 11

Nice, plenty of space in the basement for a decent model railway, though as the blurb says, "as long as you have $1.395 million to spend."

It would be sacrilege to rip up that Frank Lloyd Wright banquette in the basement to get trains to run along the wall.

As Ian says, $1.4M and 2,600 square feet is a bad ratio, even if close to downtown. For that money you would usually get more rooms, bathrooms and larger rooms in most of the US - high density areas like NY, Boston, San Francisco, etc excepted.

• RMweb Premium

Interesting meeting of Architectural Conservancy this evening. City just finished a restoration on the Guelph railway station and the head of the firm that did the work took us through what had to be done.
It was a combination of replacing life-expired woodwork and reversing some previous rebuilding from the 60s. They had to make some new doors in the old style but 38" wide instead of 36" (revised regulations) and opening out. Fellow seems to be really enthusiastic about what he does.
Followed by a brief talk on the Toronto Suburban Railway which ran right to the street side of the station.

Annual eye inspection. Possible slight improvement since last year or I've memorized the chart.

(I don't know what happened above.)

• Like 11

Morning all. Although I had an excellent nights sleep I feel carp. Just what I need for what could turn out to be another long day.

I may have a trip out to NESCOT this weekend depending on how I feel.

Have a good day everyone

Good morning one and all

The Area Group meeting was enjoyable yesterday.  There was very little discussion of the *l*ct**n despite our being in a seat described on 'Look East' as interesting and the M1 behaved itself in both directions.  One could hardly ask for more.  The May meeting [no, not Mother Teresa] will be in Bedford and I have to work out how to send everyone a bit of Google map with the venue indicated.  It does not like being copied and saved but it does no harm to employ the brain with the aim of outwitting technology.  That process is likely to take longer than it deserves.  Another job that needs doing soon is to print some copies of a photo - yes, the one showing the Foren Crescent street sign.  It will be no surprise that my elderly aunts and one remaining uncle do not have e-mail addresses so i have to resort to paper, envelopes and stamps so that they may enjoy the picture for themselves.  By the end of the day I shall hate technology.

Warm thoughts to all in distress.  Peter BB, that encounter with the wasp was indeed nasty.

Chris

• Like 14

$1.4m is alas very common for a price around me (within 20 miles of Manhattan) - and not with FLW design either. We luckily bought a place with over half an acre of land and I expect a full subdivision to take place when we move....

Where to, though? I like living in a township rather than totally rural. I fancy Delaware, not for location but taxes are low. Wife likes S.E. Pennsylvania (but on the margin of Philly commuter zone). Seashore is out due to Hurricanes.

Best, Pete.

Best, Pete.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

And there was me thinking you were Brian O'Driscoll!

I was once mistaken for Alan Beith former Liberal MP for Berwick-upon-Tweed.

That's as close to fame as I get.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

If visiting Edinburgh May I recommend the hugely subsidised by the local population, tram and bus system. The trams run from the airport past Waverley station and many other places, an all day ticket for the trams AND buses only costs £4.

http://edinburghtrams.com/tickets/ticket-options

Morning all feeling not much better this morning with only 5 hours sleep in total, I got questioned on the wheel cover loss again later and I wouldn't be surprised to be questioned again when I get home.

Where was everyone this morning? on the road that is not here... I drove the whole 25miles from home t here and only saw 1 vehicle on my side of the road and that was on  this industrial estate. there were very few going the other way.

I also notice on the quiet roads the gradual increase in brambles covering the verges now they have stopped cutting the grass, that stuff can be lethal when a strong wind blows it out horizontally over the carriageway...

I think the chances of my promotion to an 'ologist have gone out of the window. We have a new system on the internal net, which allows you part access to your internal company records. My current grade is 1 above tea boy (literally, my boss thought I was 3 grades Higher)....The fact that I do the work of three or four grades higher won't make any difference. Interviews have been arranged..

time for the back log

Just done a catch up.  Night all,  Bill

PS - the General Election thread is still open.  What is happening to RMWeb?

Probably because I have yet to darken its doorway.  :mail:

Morning all from the borough that knows no excitement. Its my Friday today. I could get used to 3 day weeks of doing nothing but product upgrade study. Apart from the one cockwomble on Tuesday, this has been very stress free. I recommend it. 

Peter, hope you are on your way to a quick and painless recovery. 

Tony, I don't suppose you could swing past here on your way to the tip. I've got a few bits and bobs that need removal. On that note I see the fly tipped beds at the end of our alleyway magically appeared out on the pavement the other morning. Wasn't me guv. Amazing how fast the council removed them though. Gee I wonder who reported it......  Yes there is an app for that. It's called 'Fix my Street'. Basically you mark the location on a map, describe the problem, and it gets reported to the appropriate council. Handy for things like flytipping, non functional street lighting, and pot holes. Plans are afoot to try and obtain the bits of the alleyway that aren't owned by the individual houses. If we can pull that off then we can gate the alley once and for all. If we can't find who owns the sections, we've been told there is a good case for adverse possession. As a group the residents have been maintaining and repairing that land for more than 15 years. 

Little else to ramble on about so I'll just say, enjoy your day. 

Peas, love, and gravy.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Morning all!

Smithy just make sure the flux and solder are good.

Fluxite still seems to work (I use dilute phosphoric acid for soldering steel). The blow torch does work OK ..just don't use it on thin sections.

Packing and car loading to begin today before our return to Leeds and my trip to Crosby for the weekend.

Have a good day

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Coolish at 7oC earlier and rather overcast. Forecast to stay that way with the chance of the odd spot of rain.

Sorry to hear about your sting Peter.

Bins are out and I do not like the new system. After our boozy weekend with lots of visitors I currently have a load of cardboard boxes full of bottles dotted around (which won't be collected until next flippin' week) whilst waiting for the Council to deliver extra recycling bins. When they are likely to appear and how many I know not and I've given up trying to get through on the phone to the relevant department. The nearest bottle bank at Sainsbury's looks worse than a tip, there's more on the ground than in the bins. Last time I went past the recycling centre and also checked their gate webcam the queue was ridiculously long so I'm not bothering with that at the moment either. Apparently this is a more efficient system. CARP!

Some shopping needed later to put food on the table but the beer & wine cellar is still adequately stocked. Hooray!

Duncan, I will be at NESCOT on Saturday with t'other Bob.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

$1.4m is alas very common for a price around me (within 20 miles of Manhattan) - and not with FLW design either. We luckily bought a place with over half an acre of land and I expect a full subdivision to take place when we move....

Where to, though? I like living in a township rather than totally rural. I fancy Delaware, not for location but taxes are low. Wife likes S.E. Pennsylvania (but on the margin of Philly commuter zone). Seashore is out due to Hurricanes.

Best, Pete.

Best, Pete.

Why move Pete it sounds like you have a nice place?

Don

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning everyone

Another day, another trip to th orifice.

Enough said.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and another sunny one here.

Roses and clematis are growing nicely and the sun flower and sweet pea seedlings are starting to poke their heads above the soil. 

Tasks today include unblocking a toilet, meetings, emails,... 

• Like 14