The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

' Morning all from red dragon land.

Bank holiday weather...cloudy and damp.  Raining across the way by the looks of it.

That's Kapur, pronounced "Cooper".

I'd agree with that for entirely different reasons. Today, I got one of my racing saddles out, as opposed to the race exercise one I usually use. This is not much bigger than a postage stamp, and weighs in at about 250grams. It's the same one that Bill carried when coming third in a charity Flat race (6f) at Northaw over eight years ago. Obviously he's a bit old (22) for this sort of thing, so this saddle went on a spare horse belonging to my alcohack partner (she has four horses).

I thought, just for the craic, I'd ride out on this, with the irons and leathers set high in racing position. What could possibly go wrong? Over eight years ago, my joints were more flexible. Not now. Remember the professional jockeys ride in similar position, day in day out during the season. They're trained to ride that way. After about three hours out, I have managed to banjax the muscles going down the back of my lower right leg to my ankle, the muscle groups in my lower back are also sore, as is my right shoulder. It's not looking too clever as I write all this in bed.

I really regret the passing of the years *wince*

Haaargh... :scared:

That reminds me, it is "jockey" time at West Shore.  Give me a long a season and, at the end of it, I can sit astride the trolleys all day, :no: 

but...

the first of the season or two kills me...

if only I was younger...

or, better still, had longer legs...

but not too long - apparently, that has its problems, too. :jester:

We will see how I get on this year...

:locomotive: Yeeeee-haaaaaw!

Oh, yes.  There was a race exercise contraption on one of those TV auction shows recently...it needed fixing...!

Enough ramblings for now.

As yesterday's chalk forecast said:  Take care...

and enjoy the bank holiday.

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

One of those situations where you can predict that sooner rather than later some is going to say "I got a certifficut" and even though it isn't relevant is going to deliver a lecture.

Tony

Indeed, Tony, and in this case several different qualis are being trotted out, as well as facts from several others who do not claim such.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit grey this morning with a bit of wetness predicted but as I'm only venturing out for newspapers and a loaf of bread its no problem. Just a bit of work to do preparing the shelving and storage for the shed. I have three lengths of 'rescue' plywood that will make ideal shelves, by luck they are all the same width (20cm) and one piece is exactly the right length (1 metre) to fit in the space between the wall and a buttress, the other two pieces will have to be shortened. Thats it for now, be back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, Tony, and in this case several different qualis are being trotted out, as well as facts from several others who do not claim such.

Rectifier wars!

Sunny periods here this morning enticed Mrs NHN to go out on one of the bikes and terrorise the island.  My bike, it has to be said, to rub it in.  I have instructed her to wash it on return , some chance!  Plenty visitors over on bikes and some sports car groups, all to be disappointed as the mountain road part of the TT course is closed for 2 weeks for some resurfacing work and pre-TT preparation.  Advertised in advance, I presume they hadn't bothered checking the IoM Govt website....#sigh#

Ivan, it seems my injury is normally as a result of a rider becoming unseated from a horse and getting a foot caught in the stirrup - take care, it is a most unpleasant thing to have happen.

Looking to go out for lunch to a pub we haven't tried before, on 4 wheels unfortunately.

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's an overcast one here.

The MiL has headed off to Downton Abbey; I hope she doesn't succumb to the Tutankhamun curse.  

Yesterday's left-overs from the leg of lamb are being converted to a pie.

Homemade flaky pastry is resting in the fridge, like an actor waiting for an offer of a season of panto.  

The Church Stretton exhibition looks interesting - looking forward to that. 

Edited by AndyB
  • Like 19

....There was a race exercise contraption on one of those TV auction shows recently...it needed fixing...!....

You can buy race exercise machines - they try to imitate the action of a racehorse at full stretch. They cost a couple of thousand, especially if you go for the one that can be linked to a computer.

...it seems my injury is normally as a result of a rider becoming unseated from a horse and getting a foot caught in the stirrup - take care, it is a most unpleasant thing to have happen.....

I haven't fallen off very much during 30 years with horses, but I have had a couple of incidents:

- hunting in Ireland. Misjudged a stone wall, horse stopped, I got thrown into the wall (Aussie sports commentator: "That's gotta hurt."), resulting in a prolonged stay in an Ennis hotel, mostly in a Radox bath, with plenty of Deep Heat;

- being towed like a sledge through the snow, at some speed.

That's about it. I only use stirrups with my race/race exercise saddles; otherwise I ride bareback.

Edited by Horsetan

• RMweb Gold

Usually with these sort of things they haven't agreed the basic principles first so both may be correct, just correct about different things :nono: 

Don

• RMweb Gold

Usually with these sort of things they haven't agreed the basic principles first so both may be correct, just correct about different things :nono: 

Don

Or as I said on occasions to my students "Your statement is quite correct however it doesn't seem to have anything to do with the question. "
  • Like 11

One of those situations where you can predict that sooner rather than later some is going to say "I got a certifficut" and even though it isn't relevant is going to deliver a lecture.

Tony

All the guy wanted was a way of operating his points, and all of a sudden there's a dozen w****ies waving!

This is why I only ask questions here...

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

All the guy wanted was a way of operating his points, and all of a sudden there's a dozen w****ies waving!

This is why I only ask questions here...

I have just read the thread. If anyone on the thread had told me they were engineers I would have had my doubts. He asked for a simple solution. He has been given two both of which are workable and meet his desired aim. He didn't ask for the theory but just a practical (easy to achieve) solution.

The real trick to being an engineer is the application of commonsense (also known as Law 43 by cricket umpires). He wants a simple solution.. So keep it simple KISS.

There is at least two ERs who are Chartered Engineers.. They haven't jumped in with theoretical b&llocks..but they probably have a simple solution......

Baz

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Baz, a powerful reason for never straying too far from ER, methinks. 

I was reading one thread where a person asked what to do with the available acreage he had for his layout and within 30 posts people were discussing everything from track aesthetics to LU stock. The discussion ended swiftly! No doubt the OP wondered why he'd asked?

Richard, are you ensured if GB attended?

Had an email from a close relative letting me know he has retired after nearly 40 years in the armed services and is heading off on a cruise.

Is a cruise really the best solution to shedding the lbs gained with all those mess dinners?  :jester:

Come to think of it I remember when he got his first pair of boots and was told to break them in. So we went jogging round Leigh.

Seems only a few months ago in all honesty; how quickly our allotted time whizzes by. 

• Like 14

• RMweb Gold

My simple solution for someone who wants a power supply to replace a lead acid battery and claims little knowledge of electronics would always to buy an appropriate item from someone like Rapid-online. I have even suggested suitable versions for people in the past. However that had been suggested so I didn't bother this time. It also saved being told I am stupid.

• RMweb Gold

...Had an email from a close relative letting me know he has retired after nearly 40 years in the armed services and is heading off on a cruise.

Is a cruise really the best solution to shedding the lbs gained with all those mess dinners? :jester:

Come to think of it I remember when he got his first pair of boots and was told to break them in. So we went jogging round Leigh.

Seems only a few months ago in all honesty; how quickly our allotted time whizzes by.

If your relative goes on P&O I believe they give a boost to retired service persons "on board spend". Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

My simple solution for someone who wants a power supply to replace a lead acid battery and claims little knowledge of electronics would always to buy an appropriate item from someone like Rapid-online. I have even suggested suitable versions for people in the past. However that had been suggested so I didn't bother this time. It also saved being told I am stupid.

In fact I have a few hundred of just such PSUs in my loft, suitable for UK, Europe or North American sockets.

I really should ebay them out at £5-10 sometime.   

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold

In fact I have a few hundred of just such PSUs in my loft, suitable for UK, Europe or North American sockets.

I really should ebay them out at £5-10 sometime.

The power supply on an ipod speaker dock went "phut , pop" last year. Not one of the strategic reserve of PSUs in this household were of the correct voltage and current capacity. Aditi didn't want a big variable power supply cluttering up the worktop so I had to buy one!

• RMweb Premium

I don't know about that, i went out on a upgrade and recalibrate trip and got given a couple of engineers instead of technicians to do some of the work..

I found one of them, sitting there, redesigning the circuit, when all that was wrong was he had a bent pin in a connector.

Afternoon awl,

A very good nights sleep was had, a solid 8 hours, this caused me not to notice the seaweed inspectors rain arriving much later than expected judging by the puddles out front.

Mutch battening was done, i built framing until I ran out of suitable wood, more area was cleared and the area that will be my modelling end of the shed is now defined by the framing for the layout going around it.

One " tunnel" will be required for humans 12 inches to the foot scale to go under and one non scenic lifting section by the door to the tin shed. Though at the moment, I'll leave those clear until much more building work is completed.

Further marking out of the floor has been done, I will need several times more wood than I used today.

I gave up after 7 hours out there, time for a long soak, 4 days of physical labour, and some of it quite heavy, my muscles are not what they were....

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

All caught up and posts are all rated - I even visited the thread about power supplies, and wished I hadn't. 

Greetings are, as ever, sent to those who need/deserve them.

Seems to be that the TV is wall to wall carp today - drama channel has been showing nothing but Call The Midwife all weekend.  However, one high spot (for me) was that I was trawling through some old recordings with a view to deleting the unwanted and clearing some hard drive space, when I found that somewhere, somehow, I had recorded the pilot of "New Tricks" (the one where she shoots the dog, and which doesn't seem to be repeated very often).  Brought home to me just what an excellent combination the four main actors made. 

Also managed to pick up some carp about a woman who goes to the local dump, gets stuff out of folks' cars, then takes it away to some mega-expensive expert, spends £hundreds getting it messed up, then sells it for a profit, which is meant to prove that you can make money out of your junk.  Well, to me it proved that you can, if you have the capital and contacts, and also permission to go skip-diving which you can almost never get, then can find some mug to pay silly money for the junk which the junk was turned into.  It's just about as genuine as these antique programmes where the prices were all pre-agreed, and the dealers given a backhander by the runners before the "sale".

Rant over.

My bother has just arrived back in Fort William behind 45407, having received a pair of 1st Class returns as a birthday present last year.  Wotsit, he also managed to have a chat with Ian Riley.

Walkies, I think.

Back tomorrow.

Regards to All

Stewart

• Like 16

Bank Holiday Monday. Instead of cracking on with Stourhampton while I have got chance I'm mucking about on my iPhone with a large but invisible Black Dog sitting on my lap.

Can somebody tell me to snap out of it please?

- hunting in Ireland. Misjudged a stone wall, horse stopped, I got thrown into the wall (Aussie sports commentator: "That's gotta hurt."), resulting in a prolonged stay in an Ennis hotel, mostly in a Radox bath, with plenty of Deep Heat

An epitaph to Colonel Edmund Sidney:

Under this stone 

all on his own 

lies Colonel Edmund Sidney

His horse it cleared the 10 foot wall

but alas poor Sidney didnae.

• Like 3