The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

I once got stopped on my motorbike at a roadside check. In the days before computerised records. All was well with the bike and i got the "produce documents in seven days at a police station. I rode home, picked them up and dutifully took them to the local station. The policeman behind the desk looked at the ticket and then looked at his watch. The time between the two wasn't particularly long and I think he was trying to work out how fast I'd ridden to get here so quickly. (It was quite fast........!)

Cheers

Mick

• Like 19

BIN day, bins sorted and placed at the kerb <ta da>

West Side Story was excellent last night and I was successful in restraining the ladies from singing during the performance - LESS SUCCESSFUL however in preventing them flooding the car with the music from the show both to and from the venue <sigh> :O

Items on the agenda today, other than work;

i) Saying a fond farewell to our Chrysler Town and Country minivan. Owned since new in 2001.

Seldom used now and Mrs insist we can get by on one car (and occasional use of Jemmas when she's out of town). It requires tires and a new exhaust system, so donated to charity with pickup today.

ii) Choir duty this evening for the Holy Thursday service

Given no-one gets an official holiday here for Good Friday, it's not a POE day, that'll be the standard POETS, tomorrow, for us on the left side of the pond.

No basking in envious anticipation of a 4-day weekends for us poor sods. :jester:

7 and cloudy with signs of overnight rain/drizzle supposed to be 14 for a high and partly sunny, we'll see.

Hope your run up to a long weekend goes well, I'll be thinking of you as I slave away today AND tomorrow :rtfm:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 5

Rudely awoken by a call from AMEX fraud prevention. Some not very smart criminal tried to order about $1000 worth of vitamin supplement carp on Lorna's card. Charges were declined, card cancelled and replacement on its way.

Sigh.

Am I too late with this?

attachicon.gif9hjfh4nsh6ry.jpg

I like it anyway......

Best, Pete.

I don't think so. The United fiasco is only just warming up. I don't see how Munoz can survive. Everyone keeps talking about "oversold". This had bu66er all to do with oversold.

Traffic policemen in those days were a lot more flexible in their approach and were able to use their discretion in how they dealt with offences.

I always enjoyed the: “Who do you think you are Stirling Moss?” crack - lasted well into the seventies...

Best, Pete.

• Like 3

Yeah, but Ivan was still getting 160mpg........

Not in the BMW that I was driving at the time. It was more like 16mpg at that rate. I never had any better than 40mpg out of the 635CSi, and even that figure needed a run from London to York (not exceeding 60mph) to achieve it.

post-6879-0-45445800-1492119571_thumb.jpg

Edited by Horsetan
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I always enjoyed the: “Who do you think you are Stirling Moss?” crack - lasted well into the seventies...

Best, Pete.

A late colleague of mine actually heard his mate say that to a motorist on the A1.   The reply was "Yes as a matter of fact I am Stirling Moss".  It was in the days when they were driving Austin Westminsters.   There was another member of the same team who pulled a black motorist for speeding and opened up with the immortal line "Hey up S??bo where's the f***ing fire".   It turned out to be the Nigerian High Commissioner and the complaint went straight to Whitehall.

Jamie

• Like 3

As if the cable TV tech support wasn't stupid enough yesterday;

As I'm sure most of you have possibly seen this sort of issue before and are aware of the "SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE" resolution -> "There's not enough space on the disk" (your mileage/wording may vary)...

This occurred on the production system 4 HOURS ago, dutifully reported to the "cloud support" for the system,

Currently they are "RESEARCHING" the problem? What the F!@$!@$!@$ is there to research. What a complete bunch of cockwombles, who can't even determine a lack of disk space requires, um, ADDING MORE BLOODY DISK SPACE!??!?!?!?!

Were this an on-premise system, I'd have been down to the system admin group about a minute later and kicked every last one of them in the goolies, THEN requested they engage their brains and sort the problem out.

I can't bring myself to consider a response to the ticket in the system for fear of p1ssing off the entire universe! Words failed me when I read the "status" :triniti:  :rtfm:  :butcher:

Edited by Ian Abel
  • Like 2

"Who do you think you are? Stirling Moss"? was used in a Vauxhall Cavalier ad after the front wheel drive version came out. Stirling was driving a Cavalier and stopped at traffic lights - then a motorcycle cop knocked on the top of his car and said the words. Must be 32-33 years ago.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold

The new central heating system seems to work. From the info on our smart meter it certainly uses less gas. It is so quiet too, only the lights on the pump give any indication of activity, apart from warm radiators.

My task tomorrow is to slightly modify and re-install the airing cupboard shelving I removed, then I suspect I will be returning all the towels and bedding to the cupboard.

Tony

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

About 12 years ago it was my usual practice to buy an old banger with a long MOT for the commute to work. About 2 weeks after purchasing an old Fiesta I was pulled up at a police checkpoint as their number plate reader had flagged my car up as being unregistered. I had taxed it straight away on purchase and my insurance etc. was all in order. Whilst they were checking my documents I spotted a car go past without any rear number plate which I pointed out  to the officers, they just didn't seem interested!

As if the cable TV tech support wasn't stupid enough yesterday;

As I'm sure most of you have possibly seen this sort of issue before and are aware of the "SIMPLE BUT EFFECTIVE" resolution -> "There's not enough space on the disk" (your mileage/wording may vary)...

This occurred on the production system 4 HOURS ago, dutifully reported to the "cloud support" for the system,

Currently they are "RESEARCHING" the problem? What the F!@$!@$!@$ is there to research. What a complete bunch of cockwombles, who can't even determine a lack of disk space requires, um, ADDING MORE BLOODY DISK SPACE!??!?!?!?!

Were this an on-premise system, I'd have been down to the system admin group about a minute later and kicked every last one of them in the goolies, THEN requested they engage their brains and sort the problem out.

I can't bring myself to consider a response to the ticket in the system for fear of p1ssing off the entire universe! Words failed me when I read the "status" :triniti:  :rtfm:  :butcher:

Pray tell, who is the vendor of this cloud storage? I'd like to short their stock.

Good afternoon everyone

Very late on parade today, despite getting up early(ish). After breakfast I went to the butchers to pick up our weekly meat ration. Then once Sheila had gone out to meet her Zumba friends I got to work in the kitchen, I made another 5 jars of rhubarb, which should now keep us going for a few months................

Back later

Gosh! I know rhubarb can be cleansing but I didn't know its effects could last for months ......!

• Like 1

Pray tell, who is the vendor of this cloud storage? I'd like to short their stock.

The cloud system is provided by the ERP vendor, who they contract with for their platform(s) I'm not sure of. They themselves don't own any hardware, they farm it out, I'd be guessing AMS (Amazon Managed Services) by then there's another link in the chain and that's who actually provides the support for either/both parties, another very grey area!

Upshot is, the support folks aren't very clever, on more than one occasion in the past, on "ACTUAL PHONE CALLS" I've essentially ended up training the person on the other end of the line  :O  :scared:

They've called me in the past in the middle of the night given much of the support is not actually even located on this continent...

Edited by Ian Abel

Good evening all !

To all who consider it appropriate, Happy Easter!

Morning from a sunny Surrey.

The trains thatvarived heading to London this morning whilst waiting for o its were all quite early. Shows what can be done but also shows how much make up them is built into the timetable which quit often that are even later.

One thing that happened this morning is that made me chuckle, a girl whilst looking at her mobile phone stepped onto the train then stopped and then stepped back off whilst still looking at her mobile, as she looked up to get back on the doors were shut so she missed this train. Seen this happen quite a few times where the mobile phone important than getting the tran!!

Can't wait for POETF later.

Auto spillong corexion is grate wen it worx! Result: she failed to alight her intended train!

A late colleague of mine actually heard his mate say that to a motorist on the A1.   The reply was "Yes as a matter of fact I am Stirling Moss".  It was in the days when they were driving Austin Westminsters.   There was another member of the same team who pulled a black motorist for speeding and opened up with the immortal line "Hey up S??bo where's the f***ing fire".   It turned out to be the Nigerian High Commissioner and the complaint went straight to Whitehall.

Jamie

Perhaps a lack of observation of the probable 'CD' plates on the car? (Corps Diplomatique?)

I refuse to say Happy Easter until Sunday. Good Friday is treated as a solemn day over here - I’m not even religious!

Please don’t blame the Americans for all the Easter schlock in the stores in the UK (as seen on BBC website). The UK is quite responsible by itself.

I’ll be working on Monday too.

best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 7

The new central heating system seems to work. From the info on our smart meter it certainly uses less gas. It is so quiet too, only the lights on the pump give any indication of activity, apart from warm radiators.

My task tomorrow is to slightly modify and re-install the airing cupboard shelving I removed, then I suspect I will be returning all the towels and bedding to the cupboard.

Tony

These new boilers are amazing aren’t  they? The one we have on the second floor is something like 98% efficient - enough that instead of a usual chimney it vented out through a PVC waste pipe through the roof. The downstairs one is very quiet - it helps being located in the basement....

Best, Pete.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

Mawnin' awl. Well, it'll be in a few hours!

About to book on a round of eyelid inspection, followed by what I hope will be a calm Good Friday shift to commence by noon. Though before I do, may I just post this…

Cheers, everyone…

• Like 9