The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Today I have, in replacing the friction pads on the tow hitch on the caravan, managed to bash my thumb with a hammer, enough to draw blood.

I can now claim to be a fully paid up member of the GDB club.

And now I confirmed my subscription to said club by inserting the business end of the potato peeler at the exact same spot I hit on Sunday.

Edited by Coombe Barton
  • Like 1

A couple of years ago we were awoken by police knocking rather heavily on the door at about 2am.  The house was, until that point, in darkness and they were already heading back to their car when we eventually went down and opened the door. 

"You haven't reported a crime have you?" they asked.

"No".

"This is 'they quoted my house number and street'  isn't it?".

"Yes"

"Oh! It looks like we've got the wrong 'house number and street'.  Sorry for disturbing you"

Being only half awake we just nodded and closed the door.

The only other 'my house number and street' in the force's area is some 35 miles away.

We never heard any more of it but perhaps should have made enquiries or complained.

At least they weren't "packing heat" like they do here.

Cava, or certainly Freixenet, is a bit of a step up from the sparkling Saumur Deb and I used to drink daily. The other relatively affordable sparkling wine that comes to mind is Kiwi - Lindauer. Others will nominate their favourites, I am sure!

Julie gets through gallons of the stuff. I quite like the pink, or made into a kir.

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

A couple of years ago we were awoken by police knocking rather heavily on the door at about 2am.  The house was, until that point, in darkness and they were already heading back to their car when we eventually went down and opened the door. 

"You haven't reported a crime have you?" they asked.

"No".

"This is 'they quoted my house number and street'  isn't it?".

"Yes"

"Oh! It looks like we've got the wrong 'house number and street'.  Sorry for disturbing you"

Being only half awake we just nodded and closed the door.

The only other 'my house number and street' in the force's area is some 35 miles away.

We never heard any more of it but perhaps should have made enquiries or complained.

Many years ago at our previous house, as it was 12th Night I was chopping up the Christmas tree when the doorbell sounded. I went to the door clutching a small branch and a pair of secateurs. The callers were two police officers, I noticed one was a sergeant. He said " About your cat..." I said we didn't have a cat. He replied "Sorry, I meant your former cat". I said that we had never had a cat. Small voice from other officer, "Sarge, this is number 8, we should be at 18". Apparently number 18s cat had been killed in someone else's garden and they had alleged a dog had been deliberately set on the cat. There had been threats of reprisals involving humans and the police were "having a word".

Tony

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Duncan  I think it was National Motoring Cockwombles' Day Out today as there were certainly more than enough of them round here as we made to a fabric shop in Woodley which we discovered *(after we got there) has closed, a garden centre up the A4 past Twyford which didn't have the plants herself was looking for, and Savacentre at Calcot which didn't have the tea we wanted need (it was our last hope round here - we are now endeavouring to establish communications with Harrogate/Starbeck - the b*ggers had all gone home).  At this rate I can see a shopping trip to Harrogate coming up over the horizon and clearly there is some sort of supply issue as one on-line seller is charging 30 quid for 6 (SIX) packets of tea, plus postage, it;s £2.49 a packet from Bettys, plus postage.

But on the plus side - herself got the thickener she needs for some sort of cookery at Waitrose in Woodley and I had a 'breakfast toastie' in the cafe at Dunelm Mill near to the Savacentre.  The toastie was unusual as it was the first toasted sandwich I have ever had containing baked beans and brown sauce (in addition to sausage and bacon) and oddly it was actually quite palatable, amazingly.

• Like 2

Wait, hang on, isn't it usually the police that you ask for directions!?  :scratchhead:

Some thing else I should have mentioned was the day Social Services tried to walk in when my wife opened the door to this person, who didn't show any I.D.by the way. She said "I've come to see Helen" To which my wife replied, "No one called Helen has lived here for 20 years" (our youngest daughter) When this woman checked  her paperwork, she wanted to be in Alexandra Street.  This time my wife told her to try a certain other street closer to the city centre. Complete directions are too complex, that's why they are not offered. 

• RMweb Premium

Duncan  I think it was National Motoring Cockwombles' Day Out today as there were certainly more than enough of them round here as we made to a fabric shop in Woodley which we discovered *(after we got there) has closed, a garden centre up the A4 past Twyford which didn't have the plants herself was looking for, and Savacentre at Calcot which didn't have the tea we wanted need (it was our last hope round here - we are now endeavouring to establish communications with Harrogate/Starbeck - the b*ggers had all gone home).  At this rate I can see a shopping trip to Harrogate coming up over the horizon and clearly there is some sort of supply issue as one on-line seller is charging 30 quid for 6 (SIX) packets of tea, plus postage, it;s £2.49 a packet from Bettys, plus postage.

But on the plus side - herself got the thickener she needs for some sort of cookery at Waitrose in Woodley and I had a 'breakfast toastie' in the cafe at Dunelm Mill near to the Savacentre.  The toastie was unusual as it was the first toasted sandwich I have ever had containing baked beans and brown sauce (in addition to sausage and bacon) and oddly it was actually quite palatable, amazingly.

The tea is available at our local Asda. (But not Eccles Cakes) I could happily bring some down in May.

Jamie

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

Evening all,

Happened to catch an episode of Mr Portillo's travelogue from Minnesota this evening. 

Nice to learn a little more of Ian A's neck o the woods. 

Had some spare time this afternoon, so stepped out to the garage and sorted baseboards for a while. Next job is to move one of the wall-mounted sockets; GB, if you're free..... ;)

Quite therapeutic after a telephone interview and the aforementioned online tests that took up most of the morning and afternoon, followed by an hour or so of unpaid work in the office.

Tomorrow morning for an hour I shall be busy testing the sofa whilst watching some Dr Who with my youngest. A bike ride has been promised, too.  

Anyway, night all. 

• Like 12

Some thing else I should have mentioned was the day Social Services tried to walk in when my wife opened the door to this person, who didn't show any I.D.by the way. She said "I've come to see Helen" To which my wife replied, "No one called Helen has lived here for 20 years" (our youngest daughter) When this woman checked  her paperwork, she wanted to be in Alexandra Street.  This time my wife told her to try a certain other street closer to the city centre. Complete directions are too complex, that's why they are not offered. 

One afternoon, when I was domiciled in Livingston in the 70s, there was a loud knock at my door. Thinking that a friend had arrived, I called: "Come in, it's not locked". When the loud knock was repeated, I opened the door to find a big polis on the step.

"Eh... Polis!" he said.

"So I see. What is it?"

"Eh... it's a summons! You've to appear at the Sheriff Court in Edinburgh. If you fail to appear, a warrant will be issued for your arrest!"

"Was this for the fatal accident inquiry?" I asked. "I appeared as a witness yesterday."

"Eh... " he peered at a piece of paper. "Oops! Boobed again!"

"Ah well. Mind how you go, officer."

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Is it loose tea or teabags you are after, our Tesco is listing some Yorkshire teabags at half price. That's probably where all the tea has gone.

Don

• Like 7

Eh... it's a summons! You've to appear at the Sheriff Court in Edinburgh. If you fail to appear, a warrant will be issued for your arrest!"

"Was this for the fatal accident inquiry?" I asked. "I appeared as a witness yesterday."

"Eh... " he peered at a piece of paper. "Oops! Boobed again!"

"Ah well. Mind how you go, officer."

Having overtaken a police patrol car without exceeding the prevailing speed limit (I had a 10mph margin!), they then waited until the next T junction at which I was due to turn right and, having  signalled my intention,  when requested,  I diverted, safely, to the left kerb.

Have you been drinking sir?

Yes, I've had two coffees!

Edited by JohnDMJ
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Evening all,

Happened to catch an episode of Mr Portillo's travelogue from Minnesota this evening. 

Nice to learn a little more of Ian A's neck o the woods. 

Had some spare time this afternoon, so stepped out to the garage and sorted baseboards for a while. Next job is to move one of the wall-mounted sockets; GB, if you're free..... ;)

Quite therapeutic after a telephone interview and the aforementioned online tests that took up most of the morning and afternoon, followed by an hour or so of unpaid work in the office.

Tomorrow morning for an hour I shall be busy testing the sofa whilst watching some Dr Who with my youngest. A bike ride has been promised, too.  

Anyway, night all. 

I saw that he seemed to have nicked Vera's hat in Minneapolis 

Don

• RMweb Premium

Good evening everyone

Well the order of things didn't change from my earlier post, but the trip to the Trafford Centre took just about an hour. That's about as much as I'd want to stay there anyway, so it could have been a lot worse!

Not much happened after that, apart from the Sainsbury's Grand Prix and that too wasn't too bad, so we must have been on a roll.

Goodnight all.

• Like 14

Following my previous post, observation no longer seems to be a requirement of the police.

Alastair Stuart, in his series 'Police, Camera Action', showed a video of a donor organ being rushed from Stansted to an inner London hospital on blues and twos. It wasn't until the video was later analysed that they realised why one car appeared to move out of the way in the wrong direction; it had German plates!

More recently, cars have been stopped whilst the apparent driver has been using their mobile phone - in a foreign-plated left hand drive car!

Even better was the driving instructor's report that when stopped for using the bus lane, indicated to the officer the sign stating that bus lane was only in force between then and then and was, therefore not currently in force!

I have seen a police transit van attempting to overtake a couple of vehicles and almost ramming the Jaguar that had already taken that decision behind said van almost being rammed into the grass bank on his right!

• Like 8

I have seen a police transit van attempting to overtake a couple of vehicles and almost ramming the Jaguar that had already taken that decision behind said van almost being rammed into the grass bank on his right!

I got stopped in an XJ6 when I was 22 by a Police Transit Van on the old A12 just out of Chelmsford heading towards Brentwood. I had three senior members of Brentwood CC in the Jag.

It was pretty funny watching the Tranny straining to catch up - I thought he was after the bloke in front of me who was going considerably faster. Back in those days they had to overtake and haul up a Police Stop sign.

So I pulled over  and a constable came up to me - I said, I have no idea why you pulled me over? He said because I looked too young to drive a Jag. Coincidently  my front passenger identified himself as a Police Inspector (at Brentwood) and just said “Really?”. It then turned out that there had been a raid on a bank in Chelmsford. So my man said “Why didn’t you say so?” Because the raiders were all described as 40+ and I realized that you guys were not....paraphrased... was the answer.

I suppose he had no real need to say anything.

Funny thing was a friend of mine (the same age) who worked for a motor dealer got stopped in exactly the same place about six months later whilst also  driving an XJ6. He wasn’t speeding either.

When I was 17 and driving my first car, a grey Minivan, I must have been stopped on average every other week for spurious reasons. Most probably because like my Grandad once said “With your hair, you look like King Charles 1” - I also had a Zapata ’tache. Remember them?

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 2

...I must have been stopped on average every other week for spurious reasons. Most probably because like my Grandad once said “With your hair, you look like King Charles 1” - I also had a Zapata ’tache.....

Does this mean you looked a bit like Peter Wyngarde?

• RMweb Gold

As far as the tea is concerned it is Yorkshire Gold in leaf tea form, not the sort knitted into little paper sacks (which don't make such a nice brew).  The bagged stuff is readily available round here but the loose leaf version has seemingly now completely vanished - support from the north might be called upon Jamie, if only to keep the stocks up.

G'night all

• Like 1