The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Premium

It's now snowing over here as well. Roads are still clear, though if it continues (which the forecast says it might do till around 6 pm) it'll be interesting to see when the council will feel it may be necessary to start clearing them.

• RMweb Gold

This is a funny old country. Not a cloud in the sky and the sun is shining like a summers day. It's only the frost and ice that gives it away....

Enjoy your day off BoD..

I agree about this being strange weather. It is really sunny here but we just had our first snow, though 2 minutes of tiny snow flakes probably doesn't count. We didn't get a newspaper today. Perhaps the newspaper boy who doesn't deliver when it is frosty also can't cope with winter sun.

Haven't seen a single flake of snow here in the boring boring borough so far. 0c and not much frost today. Glad I picked up those greenhouse frost heaters last week. The greenhouse is a nice 12c and the shed is kept at 5c unless I switch on the main heat exchanger to bring it up to 20c.

Fast question to all. Does anyone else get bouts of total lack of modelling motivation? I've got the modules to a state where I can start ballasting and working on the scenics. Half a dozen kits awaiting assembly, 4 completed structure kits ready to be 'planted', and another 4 awaiting painting. The list just goes on and on. I just have no motivation to crack on with any of it.

I finished clearing (again!) the paths of the three or four inches since yesterday and it has promptly dumped another inch in the last hour. I haven't seen or heard ANY vehicles down our road today. Allegedly no traffic is moving on the A9 north of Perth - I gather that many motorists spent the night in their cars in the Dunblane area - but that is on the Perth-Glasgow stretch.

It always amazes me that motorists have to stay overnight in their cars due to bad weather. Surely we have the resources somewhere to get these unfortunate people out of their cars and into suitable emergency accommodation. It always seems that those in charge are more concerned with helping out those in other countries than helping our own population. Seems like someones priorities are in a muddle.........

• Like 1

Well, they've always said that they don't have the equipment to cope with a rarity (snowfall) - that arguement has lost its validity.

With proper plows, salt, grit - snow becomes what it is, just a nuisance to be dealt with.

We regularly get 12" of snow at a time (I get fed up with saying this) it gets handled, same day.

Best, Pete.

The daughter has just arrived home from a trip that started yesterday, with the moors road blocked with snow overnight she was forced to spend the night with a friend. Tons more snow forecast for this afternoon.

• RMweb Gold

I'm just off to take Robbie out but I don't think we are likely to have any weather related problems. Though the excuse offered by the newsagent for the non-delivery of the newspaper was that the paperboy couldn't find the road. I refrained from comment but I'm sure you can imagine what I would have said had there been any point in doing so.

Tony

SWMBO wants me to go shopping.

I offered to go online to Tesco.

I've told her I have work to do.

Now greasing skis to go shopping.

This is a regular happening.

Every year about this time.

I've 'phoned the Intensive Care unit to warn them.

My plastic will be in need of some running repairs.

I'm just going outside - I may be some time.

• RMweb Premium

Afternoon All

The white stuff finally arrived with us here last evening - just enough to make me feel totally brassed off. Our road has not seen a gritter, but that's normal - there's a council grit box at the top of the slope, and everybody's using it to get grit for their paths and drives. We were told not to do this, so Mrs 45156 and I went out and bought a couple of bags of road grit, and a bag of pure salt, at a cost of about £20.00.

Regards to All

Stewart

everybody's using it to get grit for their paths and drives. We were told not to do this

I read recently that one of the councils are adding dye to the grit to prevent this from happening.

It is snowing reasonably heavily here - and has been for quite a few hours. I think I might head for home soon before it gets dark!

• RMweb Gold

Looks lovely where you are Tony! We've got about 1 ½" of snow outside (I'd be worried if it was inside...), with a lot more on the way. Sky looks rather heavy.....

I didn't take a picture up the other end of the road as I didn't want anyone accusing me of photoshopping in palm trees! It is actually quite cold but it isn't windy today so it actually is a rather pleasant day. I really should be in the garage tidying up. One result of tidying up is that I'll start some baseboard track laying so I have something appropriate to play with the recently acquired German trains. I don't have the excuse that the garage is cold, so I must just be lazy.

Tony

• RMweb Gold

May I ask if you have anything specific in mind for these? :)

Initially just a short section of double track going through a town. I really just want something compact so I make some model buildings. When we were on holiday this summer we stayed in Bacharach and the hotel was next to the town wall. The trains run along this. So the plan is to build a town diorama with a wall at the back with trains on it. Later I'll add another module with a station on it. To avoid any problems of lack of prototypical accuracy I'll create my own Ruritanian Railway with running rights for what ever suits my imagination. That's the plan but apart from stock and, some house kits and a pile of plywood and styrofoam I'm not getting very far. I did make a little styrofoam house to put round my outside tap though at the weekend!

"Have spent most of today with my grandson, sledging"

That I would like to see.

Back.

One of the places visited was ASDA.

They have an offer on:

3 x bottles of decent wine for £10

(Saving a total of £13.94 on the price we normally pay).

Various colours available.

I wasn't informed that we needed some new electrical appliances before we left home.

• RMweb Gold

One of the places visited was ASDA.

They have an offer on:

3 x bottles of decent wine for £10

(Saving a total of £13.94 on the price we normally pay).

Various colours available.

Matthew lives within walking distance of an Asda. Perhaps I should ask him to pop along and do our Christmas wine shopping! It would appear that his latest purchase at ASDA was a faux fur hat. Are fauxs not protected?

• RMweb Gold
"Have spent most of today with my grandson, sledging"

That I would like to see.

You would have thought, what with all the advances in technology, that someone would have designed a sledge with brakes.