The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Isn't the Prius the popular choice for Uber drivers?

around here do they drive the damn thing at 25MPH so the petrol engine doesn't cut in, Tight @arses.

Edited by Andy Y

• RMweb Premium

Isn't it strange that PARENT is an anagram of ENTRAP!

Makes you think doesn't it?

• Like 3

Isn't the Prius the popular choice for Uber drivers?

It's wildly popular with these glorified minicabbers. They seem to have some sort of unofficial competition going to see who can drive farthest on electric power alone; I thought I was a slow driver, but these Prius cabbies are even slower still!

• RMweb Premium

Late afternoon awl,

A reasonable night's sleep of 6 hours solid, followed by another couple of hours dozing on the sofa.

After breakfast it was out in the clear blue skies to work on anti rat measures on the shed.

First was removal of decking and supports from that side of the shed.

Then reach under with a car jack and place it under a support beam, jack up a quarter inch.

Clear accumulated rubbish,

Replace any rat damaged wood,

then dig hole for breeze block, so it's a close fit,

Slide a piece of damp proof course on top,rat

Lower jack.

Move jack along and repeat again and again.....And again.

In the course of the above many stand ups, lay down​s were required.

As the sun was over the yard arm, a can of cider was consumed, and thrown in the bin. Just in time for SWMBO to arrive with a coffee and cheese sandwich.

Then the ground where the former decking was, was levelled,. Cement power was raked into the surface, then paving slabs were fetched from 100yards away laid on top and levelled. These slabs are 2ft square and 2 inches thick . ,7 slabs later( one row) I'd had enough.

So another can was consumed, before heading into the shed, where internal rat damaged wood was replaced. Then polystyrene insulation was inserted between the battons in the wall above the breeze blocks previously placed. That wall was then clad with some of the planks i sprayed with woodworm killer last week. This involved more getting down and up..

I then retired to a bench in the sun with another can. A long rest was required before i could prise myself of the bench and head for the house.

Since then a long soak in the bath was had, followed by sausage, egg and chips.

I'm now recovering on the sofa with a glass of Laphroaig, i expect eyelid inspection to occur shortly..

It's not exactly toasty warm. It was almost freezing here last night, but then we are 2200 feet above sea level so it shouldn't be a big surprise.

The daffodils are almost blooming but no doubt the deer will crop them before we get a chance to enjoy them. Wild turkeys! They are all over the place, strutting around like they own the place. I can see a couple from my window now. At this time of year the males like to pose in the middle of the road with their plumage on full display (I said plumage!) If you don't slow down they'll be right under the car. I don't mind the turkeys that much, but they do tend leave a lot of poop right outside our front door.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Plan A worked as I was duly informed by Mrs Stationmaster that 'it's far too hot to go out there and cut the lawn'.    So after a snack lunch of Tesco pizza I duly drove herself and the good Doctor to the local garden centre and in order to get there had to cut across a queue of vehicles at least half a mile long trying to get into the town from the opposite direction - before passing a second queue about 300 yards long which was trying to join the half mile long queue.

This suggested drastic rerouteing for the return journey plus a lack of success in one respect meant I was also given a request to visit the Root One garden centre.  So instead of joining ever lengthening queues we took to the country lanes and set off in the wrong direction then up through the Hambleden Valley to get to Stokenchurch then on to the Wallingford by-pass via Watlington and subsequently returning home via a route which avoids the thoroughly grid-locked town centre.  All in all a pleasant country drive and a nice cuppa at Root One although no garden shopping there as the required primula weren't available there either.

A collision enroute with a cockwomble bird of some sort seems t have caused no vehicular damage but not long after I was presented with an aged female cyclist who clearly fancies her chances for a Darwin Award as she rode out of a side turning, on the opposite side of the road, straight in front of me approaching at 40mph.  Fortunately my brakes were far more effective than her urge to attend her own early funeral but I do wonder if she survived much longer if she carried on in that daft way as the roads were quite busy today so she was up against some very short odds as far as her continued survival is concerned.

Lamb curry for dinner this evening - a delightful aroma is lingering.

Edit to correct typos and confirm the curry was delicious and well up to Mrs Stationmaster's usual standard

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

After I'd finished in the garden this afternoon I brought one of the blooms of our evergreen clematis, (which has a lovely scent) for Sheila to smell.

Sheila said "I still can't smell anything yet, as I've still got a bad chest".

I replied, whilst simultaneously ducking

"it looks all right to me from where I'm standing!"

;-)

• RMweb Premium

Uber seem to offer quotes for journeys on the IoM.

I'll pass that on to 'interested parties' as I don't think its legal here.  Just tri

post-10195-0-24330000-1491761912_thumb.pnged actually, and they can't offer a service here.

Edited by New Haven Neil
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

After I'd finished in the garden this afternoon I brought one of the blooms of our evergreen clematis, (which has a lovely scent) for Sheila to smell.

Sheila said "I still can't smell anything yet, as I've still got a bad chest".

I replied, whilst simultaneously ducking

"it looks all right to me from where I'm standing!"

;-)

​You were obviously standing well beyond arms length then.

Jamie

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Plamn A worked as i was duly informed by Mrs Stationmaster that 'it's far too hot to go out there and cut the lawn'.    

The statement from the Obergrumpenfuhrer was:

'It's too hot to work in the garden, so go and cut the lawn'.

She does not like to be in the same vicinity of our lawn mower when it is active.

Every year we have a purge on a particular weed.  This year it is dandelions, so every time a yellow head appears, I dig out the offending plant.

The reason for this rather apparently bizarre activity is simple,.  If I dug up all the weeds at once, we would have no lawn.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Late afternoon awl,

A reasonable night's sleep of 6 hours solid, followed by another couple of hours dozing on the sofa.

After breakfast it was out in the clear blue skies to work on anti rat measures on the shed.

First was removal of decking and supports from that side of the shed.

Then reach under with a car jack and place it under a support beam, jack up a quarter inch.

Clear accumulated rubbish,

Replace any rat damaged wood,

then dig hole for breeze block, so it's a close fit,

Slide a piece of damp proof course on top,rat

Lower jack.

Move jack along and repeat again and again.....And again.

In the course of the above many stand ups, lay down​s were required.

As the sun was over the yard arm, a can of cider was consumed, and thrown in the bin. Just in time for SWMBO to arrive with a coffee and cheese sandwich.

Then the ground where the former decking was, was levelled,. Cement power was raked into the surface, then paving slabs were fetched from 100yards away laid on top and levelled. These slabs are 2ft square and 2 inches thick . ,7 slabs later( one row) I'd had enough.

So another can was consumed, before heading into the shed, where internal rat damaged wood was replaced. Then polystyrene insulation was inserted between the battons in the wall above the breeze blocks previously placed. That wall was then clad with some of the planks i sprayed with woodworm killer last week. This involved more getting down and up..

I then retired to a bench in the sun with another can. A long rest was required before i could prise myself of the bench and head for the house.

Since then a long soak in the bath was had, followed by sausage, egg and chips.

I'm now recovering on the sofa with a glass of Laphroaig, i expect eyelid inspection to occur shortly..

In a former dwelling we had problems with R.A.T.S. because a next door neighbour was rather sloppy in how he kept his aviaries. As we were doing building work there was a lot of places they could hide. We really don't like killing any wildlife but after seeing one start eating a starling still alive it was agreed we would make an exception for R.A.T.S. We found that once they had moved into an area they we very hard to dislodge and that resorting to poison was the most effective method. We did have to be careful with its placement because of the dogs. We didn't have to worry about the voles and field mice they disappeared when the Rs came either they had fled or been eaten.

It has to be said as R.A.T.S because the dogs would chase them and know the word. Much noise and excitement would occur with disappointment at finding none. Needless to say the Rs usually disappeared before the dogs could get them. 

Don

• RMweb Gold

Afternoon all.

Plamn A worked as i was duly informed by Mrs Stationmaster that 'it's far too hot to go out there and cut the lawn'.    So after a snack lunch of Tesco pizza I duly drove herself and the good Doctor to the local garden centre and in order to get there had to cut across a queue of vehicles at least half a mile long trying to get into the town from the opposite direction - before passing a second queue about 300 yards long which was trying to join the half mile long queue.

This suggested drastic rerouteing for the return journey plus a lack of success in one respect meant I was also given a request to visit the Root One garden centre.  So instead of joining ever lengthening queues we took to the country lanes and set off in the wrong direction then up through the Hambleden Valley to get to Stokenchurch then on to the Wallingford by-pass via Watlington and subsequently returning home via a rout which avoids the thoroughly grid-locked town centre.  All in all a pleasant country drive and a nice cuppa at Root One although no garden shopping there as the required primula weren't available there either.

A collision enroute with a cockwomble bird of some sort seems t have caused no vehicular damage but not long after I was presented with an aged female cyclist who clearly fancies her chances for a Darwin Award as she rode out of a side turning, on the opposite side of the road, straight in front of me approaching at 40mph.  Fortunately my brakes were far more effective than her urge to attend her own early funeral but I do wonder if she survived much longer if she carried on in that daft way as the roads were quite busy today so she was up against some very short odds as far as her continued survival is concerned.

Lamb curry for dinner this evening - a delightful aroma is lingering.

Some very pleasant countryside round there Mike. Just a bit too much traffic these days.

Don

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

I have found the only way to solve this problem is to get in close, under the overhang! No guarantee offered, best of luck. :no:  

Trouble is that the overhang seems to be getting lower these days. I don't fancy being on my knees.

Jamie

Trisonic are the wild turkies an edible delight?

Ian ODD, you need Fybogel to counterract the Tramadol. We were both issued with them after surgery. Pat used hers, I managed to use less Tramadol.

Yes to Turkeys. Even the wild turkey is a huge bird.

Tramadol must be an Opioid, probably derived from Morphine - "OIC" is a big issue in the 'States too because of all the opioids being taken....

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic

• RMweb Premium

Evening all from Estuary-Land. Had a pleasant day at Canvey today, nipped back to collect my parcel late morning and then found that the cockwombles were out in force. The traffic was backed up from Sadlers Farm almost to the Pitsea flyover. I came over the flyover and had to enter this stream of slow traffic which I did so by moving fairly slowly forwards indicating my intention to merge, no fuss and no frayed tempers. As I approached where the lanes diverge an elderly BMW with a driver not much older than the car who then proceeded to force his way in across the solid hatched lines. This was about four cars in front of me he then weaved between the lanes up to the traffic lights were he found himself on the Canvey side but trying to force his way onto the other stream of traffic for Southend. Fortunately by the time to come home the traffic had cleared and it was a clear run.