The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

I overslept somewhat today. Perhaps it was the salted caramel ice cream? The alternative choice last night was mango ice cream. However I know what that is like as I have be known to make mango kulfi.

I will be removing locos from my garage layout today and putting a dust sheet over some of it in preparation for the boiler work next week. It shouldn't be too messy in the garage but a couple of holes are going to be knocked through the wall for drain and overflow from the water softener. The new boiler in the utility room should make use of existing flue holes.

I went to Tesco yesterday afternoon. They have an American food section. I looked for BoD's Turtles. None there but lots of other confectionery and cereal products.

Have a nice day.

Tony

• Like 15

• RMweb Gold

Jalapeño in dark chocolate bars are quite popular over here. Has an honorable precedence dating back to the first use of chocolate in Central America. Even Lindt does a version:

attachicon.gifUnknown.jpeg

Best, Pete.

I seem to recall having a wasabi and chocolate pudding somewhere. Possibly Wagamama?
  • Like 5

Jalapeño in dark chocolate bars are quite popular over here. Has an honorable precedence dating back to the first use of chocolate in Central America. Even Lindt does a version:

attachicon.gifUnknown.jpeg

Best, Pete.

Once upon a time when we taught the Aztecs we made 'proper' chocolate, cold, whipped with water, added chilli. It wasn't popular, but that was unfamiliarity and the innate characteristic of kids to say 'ptah' when faced with any unfamiliar foodstuff.

• Like 3

That gets around, it was in Norfolk last week

Norwich used to smell of chocolate, nice it was...

I have seriously considered putting a "smell unit" on a model railway, to evaporate some steam oil , crushed coal, creosote, mixture.

Do you think it will get past health and safety?

The model railway I have inherited based on a Scottish Island I am considering a whisky distillery, can I afford to evappourate some whisky (even the nasty supermarket own brand stuff)

maybe a small slurp of scotch in the seuthe unit

It was a toss up between that and a combination including coconut milk.

Watery yoghurt.

Makes sense - I used to drink liquid yogurt when at Le Mans back in the eighties. Made by Yoplait. Quite refreshing and easy on a dry throat.

Best, Pete.

• Like 2

I seem to recall having a wasabi and chocolate pudding somewhere. Possibly Wagamama?

Wasabi is of the horseradish family (along with cabbage). Actually we should say it is of the Cabbage family along with horseradish, I suppose....

Best, Pete.

• Like 10

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

Bright and sunny so far (well it was until I tryped that and the sun went in behind a cloud).  Anyway as we didn't have faux Friday shopping yesterday we're having a real one today and I'm told the train-spotting branch of Waitrose has been nominated to receive us - so no chance of popping into Smiffs for an MRJ but I might get a chance to buy one somewhere tomorrow enroute to/from Trainwest.  And with Trainwest tomorrow the next task will be to try to obtain 'day release' on Monday to attend the 'WR/SR Controllers' meet at Bristol Parkway (in a pub, not on the station) - so perhaps a day out with herself on Sunday as suitable bribery?

I had some wasabi ice cream out in Aus - quite palatable as long as you had another flavour to follow it and extinguish the fire in the throat.

As far as rail navigation by nostrils is concerned the GWMl was once one where you could could pinpoint your location with your eyes closed at the London end - the gasworks at Kensal Green then a gap until the jam works followed by the cod liver oil factory at Southall then quickly on to Hayes sleeper plant for its aroma of creosote closely followed by the chocolate factory but at least the HMV record factory didn't smell of hot plastic as you passed by.

Have a good day folks

Edited by The Stationmaster
  • Like 17

• RMweb Gold

Wasabi is of the horseradish family (along with cabbage). Actually we should say it is of the Cabbage family along with horseradish, I suppose....

Best, Pete.

I can remember trying to buy mooli radishes when we first lived in Essex back in the 1970s. Not difficult nowadays.
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

That gets around, it was in Norfolk last week

Norwich used to smell of chocolate, nice it was...

I have seriously considered putting a "smell unit" on a model railway, to evaporate some steam oil , crushed coal, creosote, mixture.

Do you think it will get past health and safety?

The model railway I have inherited based on a Scottish Island I am considering a whisky distillery, can I afford to evappourate some whisky (even the nasty supermarket own brand stuff)

When I was exhibiting our 7/8ths scale railway, a ploy was a small pot of 'Creocote' opened and hidden in a lineside hut.

It complemented the smells made by the various locos perfectly.

I considered a couple of petrol and diesel pots for the Simplex and Ruston refuelling point, but the risk of a conflagration should a live steamer ignite the petrol vapour had to be considered.

A hot pasty under the Tea van parked in a layby at the front of the layout also worked.

Edited by Happy Hippo
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. A bit late on parade this morning but I've no idea where the time has gone. I tried one of those Lindt chocolate bars, this one had a sort of Japanese horseradish in it, not to my taste though. The mango lassi sounds good and while on the subject of food I have found that there is a delicasy local to Essex and Suffolk called Kitchel, the recipe makes my mouth water. Its basically a strudell made with almond paste instead of apple about the size of a sausage roll. I have the recipe and I'll post it here when I can find it again.

EDIT.

Thats the name I was trying to remember, wasabi.

Edited by PhilJ W
  • Like 13

• RMweb Premium

When I was exhibiting our 7/8ths scale railway, a ploy was a small pot of 'Creocote' opened and hidden in a lineside hut.

It complemented the smells made by the various locos perfectly.

I considered a couple of petrol and diesel pots for the Simplex and Ruston refuelling point, but the risk of a conflagration should a live steamer ignite the petrol vapour had to be considered.

A hot pasty under the Tea van parked in a layby at the front of the layout also worked.

Expecting Captain Kernow?

• RMweb Gold

I did think about fixing a kipper under a dock layout but didn't think I could cope with all the cats. A jar of bloater paste might be less messy but there's still the cats.

Don

• RMweb Premium

I did think about fixing a kipper under a dock layout but didn't think I could cope with all the cats. A jar of bloater paste might be less messy but there's still the cats.

Don

To get the proper fish dock smell the kipper will have to be at least a month old. :stink: :jester:

A beautiful day here in sunny Teignmouth. The yellow thing is shining brightly up in blanket sky.

In other news, a yellow thing just passed through Teignmouth (15.00) at a crawl going westwards. I think it was an HST pwer car on the rear, I didnt see the front.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

We have shopped - a two centre event today as we went first to the train-spotting branch of Waitrose and then to the local branch of Tesco.  This process enables us to access not only my prescription (Tesco) but get the best deals/products of the various things we were buying.  Regrettably, and for reasons I can't wholly understand, a number of schools seem to have started or are starting their holidays today and at one stage the loose hordes of juveniles in Waitrose were almost as big a nuisance to people who actually wanted to shop as the wrinkly cockwombles who push trolleys round the ends of aisles while looking in the opposite direction or who hold meetings with long lost friends in the middle of the aisles - it's like being at a model railway exhibition without the layouts or useful traders.

And why start a two week school holiday today when they could break up next Thursday and have two weeks off plus the two extra days of Good Friday and Spring Bank Holiday all in one hit (or take Maundy Thursday as a day in lieu of the BH on Easter Monday)?  Presumably down to unimaginative pen-pushers in various Council offices.  As if we haven't got enough trouble with the downright moronic incompetence of the latter who have given Thames Water a diversionary route along our road which will involve a turn at the end which most vehicles will have to reverse at least once in order to get round.  Fortunately following a conversation with me this morning the very helpful lady at Thames Water (yes, honest) is going to reissue her letter quoting the logical and far more sensible diversionary route and have a go at 'the council' for giving her a totally impracticable diversionary route in the first place.

Meanwhile here on RMweb ... ...

• RMweb Premium

You're OK, D-M, she's out for a bike ride at the moment!

Ah, supermarket chat rooms - they do that here, but in cars.  They see someone they know, so just stop each vehicle in the middle of the road to chat to each other.  They also get right grumpy when you ask them to move over too.  Traie de liooar, ('time enough' - like manana, or I can't be arsed) but some folk have work to go to.  Or hospital appointments anyway!