The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Though after a Canadian trip I am of course waiting for poutine to become popular here.

A far superior Canadian export than Justin Bieber for whom, as recently discussed here, other Canadian 'songbirds' may be substituted. (And most Canadian beer is almost as execrable as mainstream US or, as difficult as this is for me to say, Australian lager, though I'm sure poutine makes it drinkable.)

Last season the Portland Timbers F.C. offered poutine at home games. While it's not everywhere on pub menus here you can find it.

Our local deli sells homemade Nanaimo bars.

There are lots of Nanaimo bars to be found in the Northwest.

Edited by Ozexpatriate

• RMweb Premium

Mac and cheese? This Canadian national dish is called KD -- from Kraft Dinner.

I always give Canadian beer as the reason I never developed a taste for drinking.

American beer is regarded as "making love in a canoe".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Dry start here and 7oC at 4.30. Should be a fine bright start but may cloud over with the odd light shower later.

Normal service has resumed with The Boss taken to work.

Tooth repair seems to have worked as no pain experienced last night when eating or since although a further dental visit is needed Friday to sort out another minor problem.

It is possible that a visit to Homebase is on the cards today as some paint is needed so that "we" can do some decorating. My own silly fault for mentioning that the decor in the bathroom and loo was looking a bit tired.  :banghead:  At least they are the smallest and easiest rooms to do. The only problem is that other rooms have now been inspected and I suspect more of the same to follow. Oh dear, I've just realised that stepladders will be involved in the process.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

Good morning........................

Aching all over this a.m.

A scroat 'flying' past my house knocked the wing mirror off my car yesterday p.m. - no thought about the consequence, I just gave chase and caught him.

He told me he was a 'cage fighter' - so, over my right leg he went, and this 61 year old sat on that 35 year old until Old Bill arrived.

So, despite the consequent aches and pains, I'm glad to know I can still do the moves I was taught in training school.

The moral of this story is........if you're going to Railwest this weekend, BEHAVE !

Brian R

• Like 18

Morning All,

He told me he was a 'cage fighter'

Must have been a bird cage :sarcastic:

We have a reasonably bright morning in this part of the world, but at work I am currently struggling with what is, in my opinion, and unrealistic deadline.

Oh well - these things happen!

Time for a coffee.

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

.........after a Canadian trip I am of course waiting for poutine to become popular here.

When I was young our Canadian relatives sent us gifts at Christmas. I particularly remember a particular sweet, a nutty/toffee base covered in chocolate. They were round with five little blobs of chocolate and were supposed to look like turtles. We used to adore these and each year looked forward to them arriving almost as much as Christmas itself. After Christmas I always allowed myself just one every few days to make them last. They came in a pink and white, or was it grey, striped box and were actually called Turtles.

Sadly, as we grew older so did our relatives and these treats eventually ceased. That was many years ago now although I sometimes wonder if they are still made.

Edited by BoD
  • Like 5

Good morning one and all

I bumped into a former workmate yesterday, looking happy after three years of retirement.  He told me that one of our colleagues had died back in June.  I am sad for two reasons.  The first is that it has happened, the second that it has taken nearly ten months for me to find out.  It is unlikely that my own passing will be unnoticed and my feelings about that are mixed!  Let us deal with that when it happens.

Not all of yesterday's good intentions came to fruition.  There was more gardening and the available space in the green wheelie bin is now full with unwanted weeds.  An hour on the bed followed as much needed recuperation but sadly consumed the time allocated to the ironing.  Perhaps I will have the energy to do it today.  Before that must come other important tasks, such as booking lunch for me and my mate in lieu of the one cancelled after my accident with the deer and snapping up a ticket for yet another concert at the theatre round the corner.  A report of last night's LCGB branch meeting must also be written and I will do that after breakfast to get the job over and done.

Remind me not to damage Brian's mirror!

Warm thoughts to all, particularly the distressed and ailing

Chris

• Like 9

Morning all. A bright start in the Midlands although it appears to have been cold last night.

A morning in the office before heading to Northampton for a minor job and then I can head home.

Time for another coffee while I pack the last bits away.

Have a good job everyone

• Like 6

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

After my venture to the diy shed yesterday for further equipement, I arrived home to find a distinct reduction in daffodil flowers in the garden. I turns out a friend of SWMBO at the weaving group dyes her own wool, one recipe for which includes daffodil flower heads......

A very poor nights sleep was had, I took ages to get to sleep and then was awake an hour later, after another hour waiting to sleep, I went down stair to the sofa ad put the TV news on, that worked so in total I managed about 4.5 hour sleep...

Dawn is very much with us this morning on the way into work, which allowed me to see the first cockwomble who passed a set of road closed signs to get to the actual closure which was visible fro the signs. he then was reversing up the road as I turned right onto the back streets to use a locally known diversion of about 1 mile (not suitable for large lorries due a hump backed bridge), the official diversion from that point would be about 20miles.

Later a second cockwomble in a Royal mail van proceeded to speed past me having tailgated me for some miles at the speed limit. He then proceeded through the Norwich Distributer road works at 60mph + in a 30 limit. Just as the workers started turning off into their car park. an accident didn't happen but it was close.

Later a pedestrian did get his Darwin award, a pedestrian male pheasant which ran out in front of my car....

time for work. lots of grovelling around to connectors on a rack of equipment near the floor.... it's along way to get up each time these days....

• RMweb Premium

Morning to most, evening to Rick.

Sun is peeping through the clouds so I shall be cutting the grass today.

I need to get my umpiring kit ready for Saturday as I am umpiring a friendly match. Looks like it may be cool but dry..thermals will be worn!

Have a a great time here on Planet Earth whatever you are doing today!

Baz

• Like 19

I bumped into a former workmate yesterday, looking happy after three years of retirement.  He told me that one of our colleagues had died back in June.  I am sad for two reasons.  The first is that it has happened, the second that it has taken nearly ten months for me to find out.  It is unlikely that my own passing will be unnoticed and my feelings about that are mixed!  Let us deal with that when it happens.

Let's hope it doesn't happen for a long while, Chris!

I too lost a colleague to cancer this past weekend.  Towards the end, he was extremely poorly - but always came to work when his pain allowed him too.

Much like the much missed Jock from ERs, he had an incredibly positive attitude and always had a smile on face despite his obvious suffering.  That, coupled with the fact that he also happened to be a really nice guy.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

It's another dull start to the day, but at least it's not raining. Breakfast and my first cup of tea have been consumed so it's time to set off North up the M6, as the sooner I start the sooner I'll finish. I have 3 businesses to visit today, the first is in Carnforth, then the final 2 are in Walton Summit and Bretherton.

Back later.

Edited by BSW01
  • Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, I'm only (possibly) going to buy the paint today. Actually starting the job may takes some time. Risk assessments need to be done, the Health & Safety Executive consulted and emergency services put on full alert.

Edited by grandadbob
  • Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one here.

Plans for the day are pretty much as they were yesterday - times tables testing, drop off, office, pick up, cook.

The program I flagged yesterday about a new life in Tuscany is, in fact, on tonight. Not last night as I advertised. 

Excitement for later in the week is to get the old mattress in the car and to the tip. The fee of £36 for recycling by the new mattress purveyor seemed too steep. At the time. 

This does give me the chance to use the car on the return journey to purchase some ply for then new layout. 

Still no track plan, however. 

Another job application in the offing for this evening. 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Jamie, I'm only (possibly) going to buy the paint today. Actually starting the job may takes some time. Risk assessments need to be done, the Health & Safety Executive consulted and emergency services put on full alert.

"YOO HOO" Bob my H & S inspection fees  :rtfm:  are reasonable, and my SWMBO's  :girldevil: management decree that all work will have to will be done yesterday.

BTW Screwfix do good quality safety harnesses, hard hats and bump mats.  :mosking:

Edited by 81C
  • Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one here.

Plans for the day are pretty much as they were yesterday - times tables testing, drop off, office, pick up, cook.

The program I flagged yesterday about a new life in Tuscany is, in fact, on tonight. Not last night as I advertised. 

Excitement for later in the week is to get the old mattress in the car and to the tip. The fee of £36 for recycling by the new mattress purveyor seemed too steep. At the time. 

This does give me the chance to use the car on the return journey to purchase some ply for then new layout. 

Still no track plan, however. 

Another job application in the offing for this evening. 

I hope you have got plenty of strong string, one of the banner headlines on this mornings' BBC news was....

"Motorcyclist hit by flying Mattress"

Edited by TheQ

• RMweb Premium

I hope you have got plenty of strong string, one of the banner headlines on this mornings' BBC news was....

Hit someone with it? I can barely lift it!  :jester:

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Here in France we seem to pay a tiny percentage of the price of a consumer durable to some sort of recycling fund. Thus the delivery man expects to take the old item away. Really useful!

When I owned a manufacturing company a few years back I was compelled to join a similar scheme. 

The annual charge was as follows:

£200 pa to the govt for some random tax - I'mm sure they spent it all on environmental protection. Yeah, right. 

£200 pa to a scheme organiser to cover their overheads.  

Between 1p and 8p per quarter to pay for recycling/disposal of the waste that I was creating. I used to cellotape a coin to the paperwork and send it in. 

I chose to make a substantial contribution to a local environmental charity in addition. 

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Wall to wall sunshine first thing this morning but now a bit hazy but should stay dry. AndyB, why not offer the mattress to GDB so that he can place it below his stepladder?

Here the item http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-australia-39493099

• Like 1