The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

I just couldn't get on with Vera. I am probably ageist and sexist, but I did not believe in BB's character as a senior detective.

Ed

Tend to agree. To my mind there was no feel of being in a large organization. The original books (though quite a good read) are the same.

I remember BB being in the remarkable film of “A River Runs Through It” as the boys mother. In that she was totally believable as a an “outback” (USA style) wife of a Preacher...

Best, Pete.

Edited by trisonic
  • Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thoughts are with Rick today, its never easy even when its expected. I tried to find the manufacturer of the Alvis Stalwart kit on the internet. All I had to go on was the name S & M models so I googled it. I didn't find it but some of what I did get involved plastic but not in kit form. :O :swoon: :blush:  :blush:  I did find their website by typing in sandmmodels.

CSI has amazing labs where they can find evidence from virtually anywhere and anyhow. British programmes just need an old lady who can do much better.

Thank god for the return of Line of Duty.

Moist and windy here in sunny Teignmouth today.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

I just couldn't get on with Vera. I am probably ageist and sexist, but I did not believe in BB's character as a senior detective.

Ed

Yes, TBH none of these police procedurals are anything like the real thing. My immediate superiors for my last 15 years of professional life were Detective Inspectors, and they weren't like Vera, Morse or any other TV coppers!

BB's accent in Vera isn't really all that bad for an actor, it's just the pronunciation of one of the most obvious names is SO wrong!  While I appreciate ALL 'Geordies' sound the same to folk from outside of the area, it does vary a lot in a small distance.  I'm more Kevin Whatley than Jimmy Nail!

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Thoughts are with Rick today, its never easy even when its expected. I tried to find the manufacturer of the Alvis Stalwart kit on the internet. All I had to go on was the name S & M models so I googled it. I didn't find it but some of what I did get involved plastic but not in kit form. :O :swoon: :blush:  :blush:  I did find their website by typing in sandmmodels.

I made the mistake of typing 's&m models' without the spacing and Google took me straight there. Boring! Anyway, I should be doing something instead of sitting in front of the PC wasting time.

It's dull and damp here and could be warmer. Some tidying up would be good, in theory. In practice it involves moving things around so you feel better about it, then realise it's just as untidy but in different places. Clearing the modelling work surface would be good as it's become a dump. I live in hope of the return of the mojo.

Thoughts are with Rick today.

Have a good day.

Pete

• RMweb Gold

When we lived near Shrewsbury the local all seemed to pronounce it like the small animal or call it Salop. As for Welsh it is a rare day when any Welshman will accept how you pronounce any Welsh name. However on training courses with Welsh colleagues I realised that the North, South and West Welsh all pronounce things differently. There is a world of Difference between Brum and Black country and there are those in the Black Country who could tell whether you cam from Sedgley or Coseley by your accent. So I just muddle along and do my best. I have been thrown by unknown words, being asked where was the Untytump was new to me. 

However born a cockney who am I to criticise how words are pronounced or replaced with others. 

Don

• Like 14

• RMweb Premium

All I can say about pronunciation of the Norfolk dialect on TV or films is:

WE ARE NOT IN THE WEST COUNTRY

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

So that was an American trying to speak Geordie??? 

I used to be able to detect if you were from Horden (home), Blackhall, Easington or elsewhere in County Durham. Northumbrians seem to roll their "R"s a lot, but you could also tell a Geordie from a Sunderland born person (and no they weren't called Mackhams when i was a lad) and people from Durham city had very strong accents (some had a "posh" Geordie accent).

Common words could be identified across all areas of the north east but I am not certain if this is continuing.. examples

klarty... muddy

dunsh.. to bump into

poke ... a sack .. as in "a pig in a poke"

and of course we had the choice of .... Scottish and Newcastle (Exhibition, Brown ale, Amber ale, youngers Best Scotch, Tartan and No3), Federation Brewery, Vaux (Samson, Double Maxim, Lorimer and Clark's  Best Scotch (now Caledonian Brewery who Youngest Herbert sells beer for), Whitbread ( Trophy, Best Scotch and Castle Eden ales - brewed at Nimmos brewery) and Camerons ( Strongarm and Bitter)

here ends todays culture lesson for those unfortunate enough not to have been born and/or raised in County Durham.

Baz a happy Yacker....

• Like 16

Thoughts with Rick today - 28 years since I was at the funeral of my dad, but I still remember how difficult it is/was - hard as it is, celebrate a good life....

Monday again???? Another weekend flashed by.

Yesterday was quiet, continuing with the recovery of my Flight Sim. environment, then in the afternoon went to see "La La Land" (Second time, promised we'd go with some friends for mutual enjoyment).

I'm sure plenty of folks will consider/find it trite, but I really do enjoy the dance and music (very catchy but probably too simple for many), energy and it's overall pretty uplifting even though bittersweet.

BIG PLUSES are that no-one is mutilated/killed/murdered in it with all the associated blood/guts and gore, there are no ridiculous 100mph car chases, and no totally improbable extreme physical endeavors - makes it a refreshing change IMHO! :jester:

Up early to take Jemma to the airport for a 3-day trip, she gets TWO long 14+ hour "overnights" in Phoenix which she's looking forward to, though the flight duty time each day is around 7+ hours also, meaning she has 10-11hr days.

+4 and overcast already this early AM, headed for +12 with a chance of some rain later. 

Spring is with us now according to the calendar, "VERNAL EQUINOX", except for Debs apparently ;) her calendar had another version as noted on Farcebark...

On with the day and week, let's go...

• Like 8

So that was an American trying to speak Geordie??? 

I used to be able to detect if you were from Horden (home), Blackhall, Easington or elsewhere in County Durham. Northumbrians seem to roll their "R"s a lot, but you could also tell a Geordie from a Sunderland born person (and no they weren't called Mackhams when i was a lad) and people from Durham city had very strong accents (some had a "posh" Geordie accent).

Common words could be identified across all areas of the north east but I am not certain if this is continuing.. examples

klarty... muddy

dunsh.. to bump into

poke ... a sack .. as in "a pig in a poke"

and of course we had the choice of .... Scottish and Newcastle (Exhibition, Brown ale, Amber ale, youngers Best Scotch, Tartan and No3), Federation Brewery, Vaux (Samson, Double Maxim, Lorimer and Clark's  Best Scotch (now Caledonian Brewery who Youngest Herbert sells beer for), Whitbread ( Trophy, Best Scotch and Castle Eden ales - brewed at Nimmos brewery) and Camerons ( Strongarm and Bitter)

here ends todays culture lesson for those unfortunate enough not to have been born and/or raised in County Durham.

Baz a happy Yacker....

Mrs Lurker uses the word "klarty". Although I have never seen it written down and always imagined it began with a "c".

Her step father grew up in County Durham (Doggy) - I assume that is where she got it from as she has not lived for any length of time in the area; the in laws live in Washington but didn't move there until she was at college.

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Mrs Lurker uses the word "klarty". Although I have never seen it written down and always imagined it began with a "c".

That reminds me of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to22rRnK7gE

The important bit is from 0.44 with the classic line at 1.24...................

(I couldn't find a live video and it's not in the TV recordings)

Cheers,

Mick

• RMweb Premium

As I seem to have mislaid my copy of the official Geordie dictionary I use K but C could also be correct....

mind you .. its all in how you say it..... :jester:

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

This evening's earworm, Crocodile Shoes.

How embarrassing.

I've definitely gone off whoever mentioned Jimmy Nail earlier.

I might be wishing I hadn't read that tonight  :banghead:

Don