The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

• RMweb Gold

Ian, we live about a mile or so away from Alwoodley.. its not a bad place.... but some people there speak posh Yorkshire.

Deb moved there from Colne (Newbryford territory!) when she was about 5 or 6, I think. Her next move, at age 12, or so, was to Malta, when mum had separated from dad and took a job as a physio with the RN. Dad was from Northumberland (Pegswood) and mum was born in Worple Road, Wimbledon, just along from the former BR offices at No 19 which are now home to Lidl! 

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Ian, eh-up doesn't really get north of the Tees. 

We watch Vera to sot the locations really, usually around Blythe.  Oh-oh, here I go again....Blythe was the location in one of the many Antiques Old Git Lose Money shows this week, and was pronounced Blith. Grrrrrrr......

Do Southerners get like this with Lewes I wonder! Manxies are very particular about pronunciation, but the rules change...Kewaigue is 'Kew-egg' but Lewaigue is 'Lay-ig'.  20 miles between them you see! :boast:

• Like 1

Ian, eh-up doesn't really get north of the Tees. 

We watch Vera to sot the locations really, usually around Blythe.  Oh-oh, here I go again....Blythe was the location in one of the many Antiques Old Git Lose Money shows this week, and was pronounced Blith. Grrrrrrr......

Do Southerners get like this with Lewes I wonder! Manxies are very particular about pronunciation, but the rules change...Kewaigue is 'Kew-egg' but Lewaigue is 'Lay-ig'.  20 miles between them you see! :boast:

Occasionally I heard it called Lews. Arundel sometimes Eh run dell.

Isnt the Old Gits Lose Money exciting? Professional auctioneers frequently misjudging things. I think they need to make changes to the format. The bit I detest is where they knock something down from £150 to £5.50 or similar.

• Like 7

Good morning one and all, with thoughts to Rick for today's event.

The journey to and from Nottingham went smoothly.  I chose A6/A14 in preference to the 50 mph limit on the M1 and had a suitable breakfast at the Harvester in Donington Services where a modest discount may be had on production of an Automobile Association membership card.  Aunt Nottingham has a chest infection but is not bad for 93 and was able to put up with me for an hour.

This evening there is a railway film show in Kettering.  I may take an indirect route there.  Gosh, doesn't that sound mysterious?  Fear, not, all will become clear in due course.  Later in the week Oysters 3 are at The Stables and on Saturday there are two reasons for going to London - the Hut People, a band, are at the Green Note somewhere in Camden and there is some sort of model railway show at Alexandra Palace.  Let the world draw near.

After a late-ish night caused by trying to reconstruct some bygone train workings on the computer from fragmentary evidence I was wide awake at 3.15 am so feel like death warmed up now.  A kip in the afternoon may not be such a bad idea.  Yawn.

Warm thoughts to all, especially those in distress for whatever reason

Chris

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Morning from a very damp North West Leeds highlands.

Parcels to wrap and post, another cricket meeting to attend.. Life can be fun!

The use of (h)ey up links across into Holland I believe as our North Eastern dialect does have some similarities to Dutch due to the fishing industry.

Her indoors is now into planning a trip to the Antipodes next year.I have noticed her checking out details of flights, trains and car hire....sounds expensive. (But fun)

Have a good day everyone.

Baz

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,  a poor nights sleep with several awake periods every time I tried to move due to the aches and pains from yesterdays sailing.

I don't feel hat much better this morning, and   my fingers keep missing the keys I need to press,,,, heavy rain coming in and One cockwomble to report. going through the edge of a village following a lorry and several cars, we were going at the speed limit. But the cockwomble decided to over take a car and lorry..... the wrong side of a traffic island, then had to weave rapidly back in to be the right side of the next traffic island which was at the entrance to a roundabout with a car half way round it coming the other way...

Below is an uncorrected version of how badly my fingers are working this morning..

back to routine wqrk this week, one major equipment to service, and I've got he sdicker to put on next weeks equi[ment to let them know not to put anythingon it tha nedds a repeat run..

Time to work for a rest....

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone

Well it's back to work today and it's raining too, great. Today my travels will take me to Warburton and then on to St Helens. Both are fairly simple jobs, so they won't tax the old grey cells too much today.

Rick. I hope today goes as well as can be expected.

Back later.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from the rather damp Southern Uplands of Leeds.    Yesterday's Old Boys event actually went very well.   I had a good time and even managed to remember all the verses of 'O God our help in ages past', just not the order that they came in.    I ended up sitting to another Old Boy who had left school 19 years before me and is a lifelong railway enthusiast.  I realised that I had met him a couple of times.  After the service we walked down the hill to the new dining hall and were treated to bangers and mash.   I ended up having some very good conversations. The current choir members had been instructed to sit so that two of them were at each 6 seater table so we all had current pupils to talk to . I ended up chatting with two delightful year 0 girls, one from Lancaster and the other from Bremen. two other occupants were my old Music Master and his wife.  He was one of the good guys. He had some very interesting things to say.  Apparently my appalling housemaster was a bully in the staff room towards the junior staff as well as to the pupils.   I actually enjoyed it all and had a good drive there and back as well as delivering the pipe wagons to Long Preston.

Today there is a short church activity first then helping Beth with shopping. I also need to see my sister in law the optician as my only pair of varifocals are currently held together with araldite and I don't want to go to Aly Pally doing a Jack Duckworth. Hopefully this afternoon I will be able to do some baseboard moving if the rain stops. this evening is a talk at the club but I will bring another pair of boards back.  

Best wishes to Rick and Sharon for today and I hope that t goes as well as such things can.

Mick (NB) Colne may not be exactly where you are but you are both in what we used to refer to as Death Valley.

Jamie

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Good morning all,

Thoughts are with Rick today.

Rather dull, dismal and still breezy here. Forecast states "Through today the rain will become organised into a band, locally heavy, which will move southeastwards across the region, perhaps not clearing Kent. Dry, clearer and also colder conditions follow."

Yesterday went well with lots of food and drink consumed, possibly a little too much of the latter according to the headache I currently have. I didn't think I'd had that much. :scratchhead:

The Boss wants to go to the shops but she'll have to wait a while.

Have a good one,

Bob.

Edited by grandadbob

• RMweb Gold

Deb moved there from Colne (Newbryford territory!) when she was about 5 or 6, I think. Her next move, at age 12, or so, was to Malta, when mum had separated from dad and took a job as a physio with the RN. Dad was from Northumberland (Pegswood) and mum was born in Worple Road, Wimbledon, just along from the former BR offices at No 19 which are now home to Lidl! 

The original All England Tennis Club was based in Worple Road and in the immediate post WW1 time Dad was a ball-boy there.  Just try parking anywhere near there these days!