The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

Morning All,

We have a nice bright morning in this part of the world.  The weekend was fairly quiet, but that also meant that I didn't get an awful lot done!

Sorry to hear about your break in Chard.  Unfortunately, these sort of break ins seem to be on the increase everywhere.  I wish you a trouble free run with the tradesmen and insurance - and a swift coming to terms with the fact that your home has been invaded.

Oh well - I guess it is time for a coffee

Have a good day everyone...

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold

Morning all

'Chard - condolences on having home and property violated and stolen. I'm sure it'll happen to me some time, so lax am I.

Chris F - what a lovely discovery.

I have to be at Alison's by 8.30, as she is at her youngest's skool this morning, as part of some sort of testimonial exercise, where parents are asked by officials to comment on the quality of education on offer. I need to be chez elle because DHL are due to deliver new passports this morning. Yesterday was Alison's birthday. She got one card, just as she had received one Christmas card. Both were from me. Her mother is still hale and hearty, and there are three sisters. Families!

I hope your week sets off in good order.

Edited by Oldddudders

• RMweb Premium

I shoulda remembered that. One of my ancestors brother was captain on a steamer from Portsmouth. His name, Obadiah Orange Lemmon.

The SS St Clemens? 

I bet scurvy wasn't a problem on his ship?!!

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A good point, Don, though the typo makes it look as though the earliest trade was carried out by telephone engineers rather than the fascinating Phoenicians!

Spelling was never my strong point. The smell chucker wanted me to put phoneticians!

Don

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from a bright and sunny village and a home where the wifi not only works but doesn't want all my personal contact details to bombard me with marketing. Anyway the boss has set off to Asda and I'm shortly off to Wakefield to help Chris unload the layout from the van. Then it will be back home to unload the shopping from the car. Hopefully a bit of modelling the afternoon then much more this evening at the club.

Chard, very sorry to hear about your 'invasion'. I don't think most people realise just how unsettling this violation of very personal space can be. Unfortunately as modern cars can't all be started with a key from a Viva or hot wired, then now people have to actually get the keys from the house.

Chrisf, that sounds great about the street. There is obvious need for a blue plaque.

Anyway I'm off to sunny Wakey now so TTFN.

Jamie

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

Morning Awl,

A three piece sleep was had, 10:15 to 00:30, 01:00 to 03:30,  04:00 to 05:15. not good....

The drive into work was good, seeing the dawn, and a distinct lack of cockwombles.

The leaking road at the Coltishall bridge is still pouring out water, that valve and one slightly lower down on the bridge ramp are now marked by a blue arrow,  suggesting work / traffic jams imminent.

This week  I have no major systems to calibrate just lots of current shunts and resistors. This should provide for a restfull time with no brain strain, before starting to write a computer program to test AC Volts 1mV to 1000V 10Hz to 1 Mz then I'll have the brain ache.

• Like 3

A good point, Don, though the typo makes it look as though the earliest trade was carried out by telephone engineers rather than the fascinating Phoenicians!

In that case maybe it was phone cards.

The SS St Clemens? 

I bet scurvy wasn't a problem on his ship?!!

IIRC it was SS Duke of Edinburgh, but I prefer your suggestion.

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Morning all, and it's a sunny one here today. 

A neighbour kindly donated* a large free-standing five-tier shelf unit last night which now resides in the garage.

Tidying operations have commenced but it is quite a job. Item X needs to go in cupboard Y and item Z needs to come out of said cupboard first and go on shelf A which temporarily has clutter on it.....including item Z. Where to start?!!   Just start, carry on & finish. 

* code for he didn't want to drive to the tip. :)

Prior to any of that fun I've a day in the office. 

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Morning all.

Sunny here.

I think my brain must be suffering from lag due to crossing from the eastern hemisphere to West and back again yesterday.

Aditi seems to think that we should go to Chelmsford today. We haven't been to any of the shopping establishments in the centre there for many a year. They now have a John Lewis but only a mini version selling clothes and small household items I believe. I suspect there will not be a diversion out to the excellent John Dutfield model railway emporium today. I think I will suggest perhaps going to Chelmsford on a rainy day instead.

Tony

Edited by Tony_S

• RMweb Premium

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sorry to hear of your break-in Chard, keep your fingers crossed that the scrotes will be caught. I can understand why geneology has such an attraction, the thrill of the hunt. It is a bit disappointing though when you come up against a brick wall. One I came across was all the records before 1666 were lost in the great fire of London. Family stories passed down through the generations are intriguing but can easily become distorted or no records can be found. An example of the latter is that family members, name of Turner went to America on the Mayflower. They went as indentured servants, a father, son and daughter. Only the daughter is known to have returned to England, as her marriage is recorded but no further records can be found of her brother and father. My dads family didn't go very far for generations, they all lived in Gravesend, they were watermen on the lower Thames and the Estuary, son following father into the same trade until the trade went into decline in the late Victorian era.

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Morning all,

'Chard - sorry to see you among us with a message of such woe, one can but hope that the constabulary catch them and that the presiding judge believes in punishment rather than 'making allowances' for poor parenting or similar excuses for failing to deploy the cat o' nine tails etc.  On a brighter note Rick I hope that herself enjoys her first day and confirms that she has made the right decision and has landed among a good crowd of folk to work with - always a worry when you actually arrive in the new job so all the best to her.

On a second brighter note the sun is shining upon us.  Quite what we have done to deserve its arrival I'm not sure but it has and it might encourage herself to sally forth into the garden as she did on Saturday while I was at the Basingstoke show - and I can see plenty of shrubs etc which need a trim so i can guess where my day might be spent.

Have a good day one and all

• Like 18

• RMweb Gold

Five minutes peace at last SWMBO is doing some gardening then off to the shops later to take back what she bought last week I said to her why buy it if are going to take it back the following week the stare I got made me quake at the knees so i retreated to the Modelling Cave still this afternoon will be peaceful as well, me I off to the hospital tomorrow for an Epidural I've been agony for weeks or sonked on painkillers so another day of peace then I will be in her care Wednesday deep joy I'm looking forward to it laying in bed waited on hand and foot Thursday no doubt she will be back in @rsey mode but I did managed 3 weeks of being  a "Layabout" when I had the last injection so I'm going to see if I can faint this one a bit longer.   :smoke:

• RMweb Gold

It would appear that being a lovely day is a good reason to go to Chelmsford and visit John Lewis this afternoon. Aditi tried bribery reminding me I am entitled to a free cake while there.

We were just about to set off to the park when Matthew phoned. He wanted to talk to his Mum so it is almost certainly something academic. He sounded cheerful though.

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Guess what's for desert after tonight's tea?

post-27337-0-18094900-1489405961_thumb.jpeg

I just need to make some custard, but I'll do that later!

• Like 16

Morning all from Estuary-Land. Sorry to hear of your break-in Chard, keep your fingers crossed that the scrotes will be caught. I can understand why geneology has such an attraction, the thrill of the hunt. It is a bit disappointing though when you come up against a brick wall. One I came across was all the records before 1666 were lost in the great fire of London. Family stories passed down through the generations are intriguing but can easily become distorted or no records can be found. An example of the latter is that family members, name of Turner went to America on the Mayflower. They went as indentured servants, a father, son and daughter. Only the daughter is known to have returned to England, as her marriage is recorded but no further records can be found of her brother and father. My dads family didn't go very far for generations, they all lived in Gravesend, they were watermen on the lower Thames and the Estuary, son following father into the same trade until the trade went into decline in the late Victorian era.

I believe there are records in existence for some that travelled to and fro in those early days. Am not sure where you can find them though.

Big Chief Elizabeth by Giles Milton is an interesting non fiction tome on the 1st ships and IIRC had plenty of names throughout.

Interestingly, a guy I know down here has a fairly wealthy ancestor that was on an early manifest list.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

A'noon, which will have to pass for 'morning' today.

Sunny out, less so within.

Awful to read of 'chard's misfortune, having that particular T shirt, it is a very, very nasty feeling.  Another reason living here is so good.....very low crime.

• Like 5