The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Early Risers.

Mr.S.corn78

You have missed out boats. A lot of long distance travel was by Boat/Ship. There was a lot of coastal trade done by ships and international trade goes back at least to the phonecians.

Don

I shoulda remembered that. One of my ancestors brother was captain on a steamer from Portsmouth. His name, Obadiah Orange Lemmon.

• Like 17

• RMweb Gold

In 1905 my grandfather walked from London to Severnoaks on the promise of a job about 25 miles but the job failed to materialise so he walked back again. With no money at all he had nothing to eat and only water to drink until he got home. I don't think this was uncommon although hopefully the majority got a job after walking that far, and most would have had a few pennies in their pocket. There was of course a train service available but if you didn't have money to eat you were unlikely to pay a fare.

In 1754 a Manchester firm started the 'Flying' Coach which could reach London in 4.5 days three years later a Liverpool Service using spring suspension took only 3 days. These were impressive times. 

Don

• Like 13

• RMweb Premium

Work done. Ice hockey watched with Junior - home for a week after completing the first quarter of her final year at Uni.

Last night, the Hawks were away at the 2nd placed Billingham Stars and recorded a well fought win to keep them clear of the bottom two.

Tonight's home game was against the confirmed league champions, Solway Sharks

If the two teams below them both lost tonight and  the Blackburn Hawks, it would mean that we've avoided automatic relegation and very probably the relegation playoff game as well.

Part way through the first period, score updates showed that both teams below were winning..... We were playing well and ended the first period with a deserved 1-0 lead.

End of period two and the other teams were still winning (and by a good margin), we were now 3-1 in front.

Final score was a 6-3 win for the Hawks, with one of their best displays of the year. So that's a four point weekend against the top two teams. Well done lads! But then the other two below us also won.....

The upshot of all this, is that we're now 5th, level on points with 4th and a game in hand (3 to play). There is a possibility that we could go 3rd next week with another win.

If we make 4th at the end of the league, then it's a playoff weekend at Sheffield on the 7/8th April. Problem is, it might not be certain until one week before. Although if results go the other way, we may end up 7th and in the relegation playoff game, it's that close.

Out of the 8 teams, the only definite thing is that 1st and 2nd are confirmed and one team definitely can't get out of the bottom two.

Well done if you can follow that lot.

The next couple of weeks could be nail-biting.

In modelling news, the control panel was hooked up to the layout for the first time today and all was well. Just a couple of points operating in reverse direction - cured with nothing more than swapping a couple of plugs over.

Have a good week folks.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 18

• RMweb Premium

The party over the road has stopped, about an hour ago. Nice and quiet, not that they were too noisy anyway, and the street is clear of the parked cars. Strangely the marquee is still lit up like a Christmas tree.

• Like 5

The party over the road has stopped, about an hour ago. Nice and quiet, not that they were too noisy anyway, and the street is clear of the parked cars. Strangely the marquee is still lit up like a Christmas tree.

Perhaps someone might be having a midnight feast in it later. We used to.

• Like 13

Today was two steam round trips on the Ratty, behind River Irt, with some superb sounds charging up some of the steeper bits of the line. I had expected today to be quite wet, but was actually able to guard outside for about 70% of the time. Considering the weather forecast, the line was quite busy today.

On arrival home, Mrs G had decided to make a Jamie Oliver dish of smoked mackerel and pasta. It turned out to be quite horrible! I suspect that the mackerel had been in the freezer too long, or possibly the recipe was just pants! Needless to say, I don't think we will be trying that one again.

Tomorrow involves a trip to Sister Drac for my routine blood sample before the next consultant appointment regarding my lymphoma next month. Last time, the blood test was most uncomfortable, as Drac kept trying to wiggle the needle around. I hope that she does better this time.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Evening all now back from Godmanchester. GDB I said hello to Brampton hut and even made use of the cash machine at the petrol station this morning. The weekend has gone very well. It's fascinating learning a new layout and even better when it wind best in show plus the Mayors trophy, well done to Chris Mead for producing such a fascinating layout.

It was good to meet EdCayton and have a chat and also ChrisF and of course BarryO. I even spent some money but the boss hasn't looked in the back of my car yet. I'm off in the morning to help Chris unload the layout in Wakefield.

I even managed to catch the last 20 minutes of the England rugby match last night and then had the delightful job of winding up Dave on Ten Commandments today.

As to family Trees, I'll have to dig them out as both sides are well researched. My mother was born in Nin a Taal (Northern India) and her mother in Ceylon as it was then. The interesting thing to me is that my maternal grandfather was born in 1862 which must be quite unusual to be able to go back so far in two generations. I never met him as he died in the 1920's then my mum didn't get married till she was in her mid 30's.

Regards to all.

Jamie

• Like 19

.As to family Trees, I'll have to dig them out as both sides are well researched. My mother was born in Nin a Taal (Northern India) and her mother in Ceylon as it was then. The interesting thing to me is that my maternal grandfather was born in 1862 which must be quite unusual to be able to go back so far in two generations. I never met him as he died in the 1920's then my mum didn't get married till she was in her mid 30's.Regards to all.Jamie

My 2 x great uncle Clarence was 8th of 9 kids. His sister was 2nd eldest of the brood and gave birth to my grandfather who was just 6 months younger than his uncle. Such was the age gap between kids in some of those large families.

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

Can we wipe out though, the hideous “hen-womble” tag? Far too cosy for what they really are.................

Agreed.

I was quite happy to keep them in a form of gender neutral.  For example, as one would refer to a cockatiel or a cockatoo.

However for those who must be more specific lets try:

Cronewomble or Hagwomble

• Like 1

Agreed.

I was quite happy to keep them in a form of gender neutral.  For example, as one would refer to a cockatiel or a cockatoo.

However for those who must be more specific lets try:

Cronewomble or Hagwomble

if it was germane to refer to a feminist would it be a greerwomble?

• Like 1

Nite all .................no no just been updating my layout progress.... time to get up for work now in at 3am to drive my big wagon on the Queens highway while it's quite ....should get through Birmingham before 5am      yipee  :locomotive:

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I've managed to ballast the yard of track where I spilled the flux. Seems to have taken. I found some old ballast with glue (John's Labs) that must date back to my N gauge days -- which ended about 1982. I mixed some HO ballast in and the glue may not have been enough; fixed up with Scenic cement.

Saw a movie tonight -- KEDi -- about the cats of Istanbul. Terrific for cat lovers.

• Like 10

You have missed out boats. A lot of long distance travel was by Boat/Ship. There was a lot of coastal trade done by ships and international trade goes back at least to the phonecians.

Don

A good point, Don, though the typo makes it look as though the earliest trade was carried out by telephone engineers rather than the fascinating Phoenicians!

Morning all. My feeling refreshed definitely didn't last long. The client, for reasons only known to themselves, realised yesterday that they needed to get the problem sorted out by the start of today. Great for them but it meant that I eventually got home at 01:00. I'm not particularly happy this morning after 4 hours sleep I'm heading to Slough.

I'll catch up on yesterdays posts on my return this evening if I can stay awake long enough.

Have a good day everyone

Well the dawn is approaching here and I'm glad because it means my all night vigil is nearing its end.  

We were the victims of what the Americans possibly call 'suburban home invasion' in the early hours of Sunday, when criminal scum smashed the lock off the door to the back garden, entered the house, took keys to the other half's company car from her bag, helped themselves to two new bikes and made off.

The bikes were kept in the lounge because we felt vulnerable since a walk-in burglary through the front door saw our daughter's car stolen in February.

Today will be another enforced day working from home as we await various tradesman and look forward to replacing the second door in a month, upgraded and changed locks again, and barbed wire for the garden perimeter.  Pity our new neighbours who were woken up by police making door-to-door enquiries yesterday, on their first Sunday morning in their new home as a couple.